Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6448 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 254, 255, 256, 257, 258  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:31 pm 

Fred Cole, Leader of Garage-Rock Band Dead Moon, Dies at 69

Fred Cole, a guitarist and singer who became a cult hero of the Pacific Northwest music scene as the leader of the long-running garage-rock band Dead Moon, died on Thursday at his home in Clackamas, Ore. He was 69.

The cause was cancer, said his wife and bandmate, Toody Cole.

As the grunge gold rush in the 1990s made stars of young bands in and around Seattle like Nirvana and Soundgarden, Mr. Cole and Dead Moon remained beloved local stars despite being decades older than their peers.

Well into his 40s by then, Mr. Cole had been a regular of the garage-rock circuit — playing a rough and raw sound that long predated grunge’s noisy take on punk — since the mid-1960s, when he was a member of the Lollipop Shoppe, which had a minor hit in 1968 with “You Must Be a Witch.”

But with Dead Moon and various other groups over the years, Mr. Cole set a standard for do-it-yourself perseverance. He and his wife released records on their own label, Tombstone, with a dark, handmade aesthetic. He even cut lacquer discs, used to make vinyl records, on an old mono lathe at their home outside Portland; according to legend, it was the same machine used to make the Kingsmen’s “Louie Louie” in 1963.

In a scratchy wail, Mr. Cole led Dead Moon in ragged, macabre-obsessed songs, like “Graveyard” and “Dead Moon Night,” that sounded as though they could have been made at any time in the last 50 years.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:02 pm 

Bugger!

Got this at a garage sale around 1995, it was glued to my turntable for months..... :(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:42 am 

Milton Bradley wrote:
a wife who was there (homely as fuck and looks like Geddy Lee circa 1977. Each time I looked at her, I heard "FLY BY NIGHT A-WAAY FROM HERE" causing me to laugh)

wow.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:15 pm 

Mr Nice Guy wrote:

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Bugger!

Got this at a garage sale around 1995, it was glued to my turntable for months..... :(

I didn't bother posting about Fred because I didn't think anyone here would care.

Nice to see I was wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:25 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Mr Nice Guy wrote:

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Bugger!

I didn't bother posting about Fred because I didn't think anyone here would care.

Nice to see I was wrong.

I went looking for this album in various locations last night to give her a spin for old time sake, GONE! contacted Chrissy my album thief cousin.....What a surprise the little mofo has my copy!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:29 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
I went looking for this album in various locations last night to give her a spin for old time sake, GONE! contacted Chrissy my album thief cousin.....What a surprise the little mofo has my copy!

Well, at least you know where it is. Hopefully it's safe!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:09 pm 

BREAKING: Convicted Mass Murderer Charles Manson Dies Aged 83

http://florida-times.com/breaking-convi ... s-aged-83/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:32 pm 

He gave a lot of confused kids a new direction in life.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:44 pm 

just plain doug wrote:

It's about time!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:01 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
just plain doug wrote:

It's about time!

Apparently not yet.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-charles-manson-illness-20171117-story.html

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:42 am 

AC/DC's Malcolm Young

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:00 am 

AC/DC guitarist, co-founder Malcolm Young dies at 64
Last updated 02:49, November 19 2017

FAKEBOOK
Legendary Australian guitarist and AC/DC co-founder Malcolm Young has died aged 64.

Known for the powerhouse riffs and rhythm guitar that propelled the Sydney group to superstardom, Young had been suffering from dementia for the past three years.

He was replaced by nephew Stevie for the band's last tour, promoting the 2014 album Rock Or Bust.

FAKEBOOK
AC/DC producer George Young with brothers Malcolm and Angus. George died just last month.

He died peacefully on Saturday with his family by his bedside, a statement said.
"Renowned for his musical prowess, Malcolm was a songwriter, guitarist, performer, producer and visionary who inspired many," the statement read.

"From the outset, he knew what he wanted to achieve and, along with his younger brother, took to the world stage giving their all at every show. Nothing less would do for their fans."

He is survived by his wife O'Linda and two children.

- AAP

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/m ... dies-at-64

:( :cry: :(

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:55 pm 

Ann Wedgeworth who played Lana Shields on "Three's Company" was 83 83? time flew. Her character was always trying to put the make on Jack Tripper with her whispery way of talking and her slinky way of moving. He wouldn't bite though. Comedic sexual tension, I suppose they call it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:41 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:04 pm 

M-M-Mel T-T-Tillis, Country Entertainer and Songwriter, Dead at 85
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aweaoakyK8

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:05 am 

Charles Manson, Mastermind Behind Murder of Actress Sharon Tate, Finally Dies at Age 83

http://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world/cha ... ocid=ientp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:06 am 

He gave a lot of confused kids a new direction.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:55 am 

He was kinda Helter Skelter.

. . . Oh, David! Is that really you? :shock: Funny meeting you here.

Meanwhile . . .

'Cosby Show' actor Earle Hyman dies at 91

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:02 am 

Everyone seems to be sneaking their way in front of David Cassidy.

Della Reese Dies: Music Legend & ‘Touched By An Angel Star’ Was 86

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:13 am 

Jana Novotna, after a battle with cancer.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/20/obituaries/jana-novotna-dead.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:14 pm 

Miracles Singer Warren 'Pete' Moore Dead at 78
(left)
Warren "Pete" Moore, an original member of the legendary Motown singing group the Miracles, died Sunday at the age of 78.

Motown founder Berry Gordy confirmed Moore's death in a statement. No cause of death was provided.

"I am deeply saddened to hear of the passing of Warren 'Pete' Moore, a fine human being and valued member of the Motown family," Gordy said. "Pete was an original member of my very first group, the Miracles. He was a quiet spirit with a wonderful Bass voice behind Smokey Robinson’s soft, distinctive lead vocals and was co-writer on several of the Miracles hits."

A childhood friend of Robinson's while growing up in Detroit, Moore and Robinson formed a singing group while they were both in high school. With Moore as the bass singer, the group was known as the Five Chimes and the Matadors before signing with Gordy's Motown offshoot Tamla in 1959. They changed their name to the Miracles soon after.

Moore served as co-writer on many of the Miracles' singles, including their classic "The Tracks of My Tears" (Number 50 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs List), "Ooo Baby Baby" (Number 266), "My Girl Has Gone" and "Love Machine," as well as hits by Motown artists like Marvin Gaye ("Ain't That Peculiar," "I'll Be Doggone") and the Temptations' ("Since I Lost My Baby") Moore also produced the Miracles' "Here I Go Again" and "Baby Baby Don't Cry."

After Robinson left the Miracles in 1971, Moore remained with the group until their dissolution in 1978. In 2012, Moore was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame alongside the Miracles.

"A gentleman, loving husband, devoted father and loyal friend, we all loved him and will miss him," Gordy added.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:30 pm 

David Cassidy has died

Last updated 15:21, November 22 2017

David Cassidy has died. The American pop singer and star of the television programme The Partridge Family was 67.

David Cassidy, the pop culture idol of the 1970s has died aged 67, his publicist has confirmed.

The Partridge Family star was hospitalised with multiple organ failure. His publicist, JoAnn Geffen said on Monday that his family had joined him in hospital.

The 67-year-old former teen idol said earlier this year that he was struggling with memory loss and that he was ending his 50-year career. Cassidy has had numerous personal problems in the decades following his initial success, ranging from substance abuse to bankruptcy.

- Stuff

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/c ... y-has-died

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:36 am 

Tom Stiglich

Tom Stiglich

Clay Jones

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:53 pm 

Ben Riley - (July 17, 1933 – November 18, 2017) American jazz drummer known for his work with Thelonious Monk, as well as Alice Coltrane, Stan Getz, Woody Herman, Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis, Ahmad Jamal, Kenny Barron, and as member of the group Sphere. During the 1970s he was a member of the New York Jazz Quartet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boGPWj_iQr4

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:43 am 

Tommy Keene, Power-Pop Singer-Songwriter, Dies at 59
Jem Aswad
6 hrs ago

© Rick Diamond
Singer/Songwriter Tommy Keene performs at City Winery Nashville on July 28, 2017 in Nashville, Tennessee.

Tommy Keene, a veteran singer-songwriter of the new wave and power-pop eras best known for his 1984 alternative-radio hit “Places That Are Gone,” died Wednesday, according to a post on his website.

The post gives no cause of death and simply states: “Tommy Keene 6/30/58 – 11/22/17. Tommy passed unexpectedly and peacefully in his sleep. Thank you to all his friends and family who he loved very much.”

Over the years he collaborated with a number of stylistically similar artists ranging from Guided by Voices’ Robert Pollard — with whom he released an EP as the Keene Brothers, a joke that would be lost on all but certain people of a certain age — and T Bone Burnett (who produced one of his early albums) to the Goo Goo Dolls and Matthew Sweet, with whom he toured just a few weeks ago. He generally remained true to the melodic, chiming, harmony-filled, Byrds-influenced rock that launched his career.

A native of Maryland, Keene released a dozen albums over the course of a career that stretched back to the late 1970s, yet his biggest hit came from the title track of a 1984 EP on the indie Dolphin Records, “Places That Are Gone.” A deal with the major label Geffen Records ensued and he released two albums on the label, “Songs From the Film” in 1986 and “Based on Happy Times” three years later. He signed with indie powerhouse Matador in the mid-1990s and released two albums there as well; the remainder of his catalog was released on smaller indie labels.

http://www.msn.com/en-nz/entertainment/ ... ocid=ientp

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6448 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 254, 255, 256, 257, 258  Next