Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7981 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313 ... 320  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:22 am 

'Star Wars' Boba Fett Actor Jeremy Bulloch Dead at 75

https://www.tmz.com/2020/12/17/star-wars-boba-fett-actor-jeremy-bulloch-dead-dies/
12/17/2020 1:09 PM PT

1:08 PM PT -- A statement from Jeremy's family says the actor died following health complications which included Parkinson's disease ... something he battled for years. Jeremy's wife, Maureen, and two of his sons, Jamie and Robbie, were able to spend their final days with their dad.

Jeremy Bulloch, the actor who played Boba Fett in several "Star Wars" films, has died.

Jeremy's death was announced Thursday by Daniel Logan, who played young Boba Fett in 'Attack of The Clones.'

Jeremy played the iconic bounty hunter in the original "Star Wars" trilogy ... he was the man under the famous body armor and helmet, but not the voice you hear in the movies.

As "Star Wars" movie buffs might know, Jeremy also made a couple cameos without his Boba Fett mask -- playing Lieutenant Sheckil in 'The Empire Strikes Back' and Captain Jeremoch Colton in 'Revenge of the Sith.'

The timing is interesting -- there has been a resurgence in popularity of Boba Fett since discussions emerged about him being brought onboard in "The Mandalorian" series, and even rumors of a spinoff series surrounding Boba Fett in the works.

As an original trilogy cast member, Jeremy was beloved by "Star Wars" fans across the globe. He signed autographs and snapped pics at hundreds of tour stops and conventions.

Born and raised in the United Kingdom, Jeremy acted in BBC soap operas, "James Bond" films and TV shows before landing his famous role with "Star Wars."

He lived in London after retiring and is survived by his wife, Maureen, and their 3 sons. Jeremy was 75.

RIP

Originally published -- 12:40 PM PT

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:02 pm 

Guitarist Leslie West has died, aged 75. I'm sure there's a few people pulling out their Mountain records.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:23 pm 

sarbeez wrote:
Guitarist Leslie West has died, aged 75. I'm sure there's a few people pulling out their Mountain records.

rest in peace, mr. west.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:54 pm 

RIP Big man. Leslie West

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:50 pm 

When I was seventeen, I played "Never in my life" with my band
RIP Mr.West
:cry:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:26 pm 

I got to see him perform outdoors once with Mountain in August 1970 at what was then known as Mosport Park in Bowmanville, Ontario. They played loud.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:07 pm 

Growing up, I was a huge Milwaukee/Atlanta Braves fan. Loved watching the knuckleballer.

Phil Niekro, Hall of Fame pitcher, dies at the age of 81

(CNN) Baseball Hall of Fame pitcher Phil Niekro has died at the age of 81 after a battle with cancer, the Atlanta Braves announced on Sunday.

"We are heartbroken on the passing of our treasured friend, Phil Niekro," the Braves said in a statement. "'Knucksie' was woven into the Braves fabric, first in Milwaukee and then in Atlanta. Phil baffled batters on the field and later was always the first to join in our community activities. It was during those community and fan activities where he would communicate with fans as if they were long lost friends."

After a 24-year career spanning from 1964 to 1987, Niekro was inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 1997.

Niekro mastered the art of throwing the knuckleball, a rarity among major league pitchers, which earned him the nickname "Knucksie."

"The goal of a knuckleball is to eliminate almost all of the spin on the baseball, causing it to flutter unpredictably on its way to the plate," MLB.com says. Knuckleballs are difficult for batters to hit -- and catchers to catch -- because of the ball's erratic movement, MLB.com said.

For two decades, Niekro anchored the Braves' starting rotation in both Milwaukee and Atlanta. Niekro's 740 games pitched in a Braves uniform is still the franchise record. Over his major league career, he won 318 games, lost 274 and had a 3.35 earned run average.

"Phil Niekro was one of the most distinctive and memorable pitchers of his generation," MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement. "In the last century, no pitcher threw more than Phil's 5,404 innings. His knuckleball led him to five All-Star selections, three 20-win seasons for the Atlanta Braves, the 300-win club, and ultimately, to Cooperstown."

Manfred added, "But even more than his signature pitch and trademark durability, Phil will be remembered as one of our game's most genial people. He always represented his sport extraordinarily well, and he will be deeply missed. On behalf of Major League Baseball, I extend my condolences to Phil's family, friends and the many fans he earned throughout his life in our National Pastime."

"Phil Niekro's record on the field ranks him as one of the game's finest pitchers," said Jane Forbes Clark, chairwoman of the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum. "As a mentor, leader and friend, Phil brought out the best in all of us in Cooperstown. Over more than a decade of serving as a Member of the Board of Directors of the Hall of Fame, his wisdom, his compassion, and his love for the game proved to be invaluable in helping us shape our decisions."

Niekro is survived by his wife Nancy; sons Philip, John, and Michael; and his two grandchildren, Chase and Emma.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:54 pm 

Pro Wrestling Brodie Lee Dead at 41 ... Non-Covid Lung Issue

12/26/2020 7:42 PM PT

https://www.tmz.com/2020/12/26/brodie-lee-dead-dies-rip-jon-huber-aew-wwe/

Brodie Lee -- the former WWE Intercontinental champion -- died Saturday after battling a non-COVID related lung issue, his family announced. He was only 41.

Lee -- real name Jon Huber -- was a superstar with WWE from 2012 to 2019 before jumping over to AEW in 2020 ... and was a fan favorite with both organizations.

"He passed surrounded by love ones after a hard fought battle with a non Covid related lung issue. The [Mayo Clinic in Florida] is literally the best team of doctors and nurses in the world who surrounded me with constant love."

Jon and Amanda were married back in 2008 and have 2 children together.

"My heart is broken," Huber's wife Amanda said in a statement ... "He was my best friend, my husband, and the greatest father you would ever meet."

"The world saw him as the amazing [Brodie Lee] (formally known as Luke Harper) but he was my best friend, my husband, and the greatest father you would ever meet."

Amanda has credited the leadership at AEW with helping her through this tough time -- and the org. has since issued a statement saying "the All Elite Wrestling family is heartbroken."

"In an industry filled with good people, Jon Huber was exceptionally respected and beloved in every way -- a fierce and captivating talent, a thoughtful mentor and simply a very kind soul that starkly contradicted his persona as Mr. Brodie Lee."

WWE honcho Triple H also weighed in ... saying, "Amazing talent ... Better human being, husband and father."

Matt Hardy -- "I'm shattered over Brodie’s passing. He was full of life with a wife & young children he loved. A devastating reminder of how fragile life is. Rest well, friend."

Huber first became a star with the WWE as Luke Harper, a member of the Wyatt Family -- and won the NXT and WWE SmackDown tag team championship.

He left the Wyatt Family in 2014 and wrestled Dolph Ziggler for the Intercontinental belt -- but Ziggler won it back a short time later.

In the years that followed, Huber re-joined the Wyatt family and also formed the tag team "Bludgeon Brothers" with Erick Rowan.

Once Huber left WWE and signed with AEW, he won the AEW TNT Championship -- and held it for 46 before losing the title in a match that aired on Oct. 7th.

After that, Lee took a leave of absence from pro wrestling for an undisclosed medical issue. Clearly, it seems that's he learned about his lung situation and unfortunately, never made it back to the ring.

RIP, champ.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:54 am 

RIP tony rice.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:06 am 

Pierre Cardin, Designer to the Famous and Merchant to the Masses, Dies at 98

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:21 pm 

Dawn Wells, ‘Gilligan’s Island’s’ Mary Ann, Dies of COVID at 82

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:26 pm 

^^^^^^ :cry: RIP Dawn.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:27 pm 

I was always hot for Mary Ann...Gods speed Dawn... :(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:06 pm 

She may have “left the island” but Dawn will always be in our hearts. -Barbara Eden

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:06 pm 

:arrow: . .in memoriam 2020: the musicians we lost

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:51 am 

MF DOOM has died, his wife Jasmine Dumile revealed yesterdayday (December 31).
The elusive rapper died on October 31, according to Dumile.
When reached by Pitchfork, a representative for Rhymesayers confirmed the legitimacy of the statement.
A cause of death has not been revealed. MF DOOM was 49 years old.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:38 pm 

Paul Westphal, NBA player and coach, dies at 70

Westphal died after a battle with brain cancer.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:30 pm 

Yet, another '60s favorite. :cry:

Gerry Marsden, Gerry and the Pacemakers Singer, Dead at 78

Ferry Cross The Mersey
How Do You Do It
I'm The One
A Shot Of Rhythm And Blues
Away From You
I'll Be There
It's Gonna Be Alright
Pretend
I Like It
It's Alright
You'll Never Walk Alone
Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:52 pm 

Tanya Roberts, former Charlie's Angel, on That 70's Show and.....

Wait what? Never mind.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:06 pm 

^^^
Actually, not dead...

https://ew.com/movies/tanya-roberts-mistakenly-declared-dead/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:38 pm 

Alexi Laiho
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/04/ente ... 1puJQi5_fk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:25 pm 

Neil Sheehan Dies at 84; Times Reporter Obtained the Pentagon Papers

His exhaustive coverage of the Vietnam War also led to the book “A Bright Shining Lie,” which won a National Book Award and a Pulitzer Prize.

There was one story Neil Sheehan chose not to tell. It was the story of how he had obtained the Pentagon Papers, the blockbuster scoop that led to a 1971 showdown between the Nixon administration and the press, and to a Supreme Court ruling that is still seen as a milepost in government-press relations.

From the moment he secured the 7,000 pages of classified government documents on the Vietnam War for The New York Times, until his death on Thursday, Mr. Sheehan, a former Vietnam War correspondent and Pulitzer Prize-winning author, declined nearly every invitation to explain precisely how he had pulled it off.

In 2015, however, at a reporter’s request, he agreed to tell his story on the condition that it not be published while he was alive. Beset by scoliosis and Parkinson’s disease, he recounted, in a four-hour interview at his home in Washington, a tale as suspenseful and cinematic as anyone in Hollywood might concoct.

The Pentagon Papers, arguably the greatest journalistic catch of a generation, were a secret history of United States decision-making on Vietnam, commissioned in 1967 by the secretary of defense. Their release revealed for the first time the extent to which successive White House administrations had intensified American involvement in the war while hiding their own doubts about the chances of success.

Recounting the steps that led to his breaking the story, Mr. Sheehan told of aliases scribbled into the guest registers of Massachusetts motels; copy-shop machines crashing under the burden of an all-night, purloined-document load; photocopied pages stashed in a bus-station locker; bundles belted into a seat on a flight from Boston; and telltale initials incinerated in a diplomat’s barbecue set.

He also revealed that he had defied the explicit instructions of his confidential source, whom others later identified as Daniel Ellsberg, a former Defense Department analyst who had been a contributor to the secret history while working for the Rand Corporation. In 1969, Mr. Ellsberg had illicitly copied the entire report, hoping that making it public would hasten an end to a war he had come passionately to oppose.

Contrary to what is generally believed, Mr. Ellsberg never “gave” the papers to The Times, Mr. Sheehan emphatically said. Mr. Ellsberg told Mr. Sheehan that he could read them but not make copies. So Mr. Sheehan smuggled the papers out of the apartment in Cambridge, Mass., where Mr. Ellsberg had stashed them; then he copied them illicitly, just as Mr. Ellsberg had done, and took them to The Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/07/us/pentagon-papers-neil-sheehan.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:13 pm 

Hall of Fame Los Angeles Dodgers manager Tommy Lasorda dies at 93

Tommy Lasorda, the fiery Hall of Fame manager who guided the Los Angeles Dodgers to two World Series titles and later became an ambassador for the sport he loved during his 71 years with the franchise, has died. He was 93.

The Dodgers said Friday that he suffered heart failure at his home in Fullerton, California. Resuscitation attempts were made on the way to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead shortly before 11 p.m. Thursday.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:27 am 

Marion Ramsey, 'Police Academy' star, dies at 73

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:38 pm 

Tim Bogert, bassist for Vanilla Fudge, Cactus, Beck Bogert Appice dead at 76 from cancer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7981 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313 ... 320  Next