Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7984 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 314, 315, 316, 317, 318, 319, 320  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:09 pm 

RIP: Greg Noll: 1937-2021

Greg Noll, who has died aged 84, was many things to many people. His legend — as huge as he was — preceded him everywhere, something he found both funny and useful; he never took himself quite as seriously as others did, and he never knocked back an invitation to a party, in his honour or in someone else’s.

Beyond the legend was a man — loyal despite his enormous appetite for life and everything it offered — who above all, had an astounding gift for friendship.

Greg Lawhead — his surname later changed after a family breakup — was born in San Diego, CA, before being moved to Manhattan Beach at the age of three. Oddly and perhaps suitably enough, he shared a birthday (February 11) with surfing’s modern avatar, Kelly Slater. Greg was never sure what his long-deceased parents really thought of his life. “I dunno,” he told us during a long conversation five years ago. “Maybe they were proud of me. They cut me loose pretty young, man.”

Hell yes they did. At 16, to be precise. He began surfing at Manhattan Beach at the age of 11, and shaped his first board — balsa, in Dale Velzy’s factory — at 15. The following year, smitten by stories of guys like George Downing and Wally Froiseth living in Quonset huts at Makaha Beach, he decided to do his last year of high school in Hawaii.

This was 1953. Nobody surfed! There’d only have been a few hundred surfers in all southern California. Makaha and the North Shore? A bunch of maniacs living off baked beans, canned peaches, and fish they speared between surfs.

Greg found a local sponsor, and went to Waipahu High. “Rough, man! I made friends with this big Samoan guy. I used to let him go in front of me everywhere — I’d get in his slipstream.” He had a beef or two, but didn’t hold it against anyone. “I understood it though. Hawaiians had everything taken off ‘em. Haoles brought the smallpox, then took all their land … as welcoming a people as they are, that’s gotta leave its mark.”

High school ended. Greg moved back to California and worked as an LA County lifeguard, while continuing his watery education as a paddleboard racer and Malibu “chip” hot-dogger. Then came November 1956, when lifeguard teams from the US and Hawaii were invited to Australia for an Olympic demonstration surf racing carnival in Torquay, near Melbourne, the Olympic city of the day. Melbourne.

Greg was selected in the US team, showed up Down Under with Tommy Zahn, Mike Bright, Bob Bowman and five “chips” , and pretty much purely by accident, kick-started the fine frothing madness that is Australian surfing.

“We didn’t know anything (about Australia),” Greg reckoned. “We just knew it’d be an adventure. Another country! I coulda stayed! I would have been happy to stay in Australia. But I’d already got in so much trouble on that trip. My coach was like, ‘Get on the plane!’”

This was after the surf carnival in Torquay, when Da Bull-to-be stuck pillows under his bedsheet to make it look like he was asleep, and took off for a drink-a-thon with five equally naughty local boys.

At some point, Greg and his mates blundered off up the highway toward Sydney. The drive — normally a day or two — took a week, he thought. “Two of the guys were dead against each other, so every now and then they’d stop the car and get out and start punching each other. Then they’d get back in and we’d start driving again.”

He could never recall too much about the surfs he and the boys had in Australia on their mals, blowing people’s minds just because they could turn. But he could recall the friends he made, then and later — and among his possessions will be the pewter beer mug, complete with roped-on bottle opener, that the Cronulla crew gave him at the time.

He did Australian surfers another favour a couple of years later, sending surfboard builder Barry Bennett a recipe for polyurethane foam.

By then Greg had begun his surf industry career in earnest. He had a natural flair for salesmanship and a huge amount of energy, making surf movies, enlisting marquee talent like Miki Dora to market the fabled “Da Cat” model, and traveling across all the US coasts, selling boards and making friends along the way. East Coasters will remember him fondly, not least thanks to his suggestion for an East Coast Surfing Hall Of Fame — a reality now for many years.

This tells you something important about him. For an OG surfing legend, Greg was always happy to see legend-hood in others.

But the Legend of Greg Noll was something else again. It was built around the impossible stuff — the first go-out at Waimea, the bomb at Outside Pipeline in 1964, and the era-ending wave in that era-ending swell at Makaha in December 1969, where even the world’s first and greatest big wave charger sensed he may have pushed it too far.

“Adrenalin, man,” he would tell you. “Adrenalin can be addictive.” And you could hear the echo of a thought that’s carried many a surfer to another, darker kind of edge. Ride The Wild Surf, indeed.

This thought as much as any may have played into his move away from surfing in following years. Despite the Legend’s mythology, Greg didn’t quit surfing immediately after that 1969 Makaha session, instead tailing it off over some time. But he never went back to the adrenalin, instead moving north to Alaska and becoming involved in the commercial fishing trade, then eventually moving back down to Crescent City and spending his time fishing for steelhead.

Eventually, around 1990, he was drawn back into the surfing world, first through contact with writers and film-makers fascinated by the Legend, later through the advent of surfboard collections, to which he contributed some serious gold, including several dozen solid redwoods and a number of next-generation “Black Cat” models.

Increasingly, he was invited to surfing occasions of various kinds, where a most unsentimental Greg graciously accommodated thousands of grown-up fans, all of whom seemed more sentimental about him than he was.

And he could see the other side of that dark adrenalin that lived in him, as in so many surfers. If surfing’s addictive, it’s also madly liberating. Even decades after quitting, Greg Noll knew that in his big old bones. “That’s what surfing does,” he said. “Surfing’s not a sport! It never was! You can try but you can’t make it into one. It’s something else. It’s like the pixie dust gets scattered in your eyes, and I dunno, it’s got you.”

Greg is survived by his wife, Laura, and their four children, Ashlyn, Jed, Tate and Rhyn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:42 am 

What a great loss... :(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:04 pm 

. . . in the style of jaypfunk . . .

DONALD RUMSFELD, DEAD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:23 pm 

Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
. . . in the style of jaypfunk . . .

DONALD RUMSFELD, DEAD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:26 pm 

One Donald down, one to go.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:10 am 

:twisted: bye Rummy.....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:37 am 

Tero wrote:
One Donald down, one to go.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:37 am 

What Will Rumi Do?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_46iPdA3uM0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:40 am 

Louis Andriessen (82), one of the most influential Dutch composers of the present day.

https://choice.npr.org/index.html?origi ... -at-age-82

De Staat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE1OBbzroRQ

Louis Andriessen was one of the 5 composers of "De Hand", the five leading composers who wrote the major opera Reconstructie together. Classifies as Very Important FZ Fan when he, in the 80s, worked to get Zappa's work in the Holland Festival - which unfortunately backfired spectacularly. In the late 60s, on one of his tours of The Netherlands, Zappa met up with the Hand and showed them his scores for 200 Motels.

The opera Reconstructie is heavily influenced by FZ. It follows the alphabet, with a piece for every letter - M is for Mothers of Invention.
(see also: http://packardgoose.ploeg.ws/interactiv ... hp?tid=639)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:24 am 

BBP wrote:
Louis Andriessen (82), one of the most influential Dutch composers of the present day.
Apparently, he didn't refuse to die.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:35 pm 

Dave Granlund

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:20 am 

Rick Laird, former Mahavishnu Orchestra bass player:

Richard Lewontin, Master Geneticist:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:13 am 

Raffaella Carrà (79)

Been trying to get her hit A Far L'Amore Comincia Tu out of my head for the last two weeks and now she's dead.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:35 am 

Joel Pett

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:27 am 

John Lawton lead vocalist with Lucifer's Friend and mid-period Uriah Heep! That era of Heep was possibly better than the "classic" first run from that band. John should have been seen as one of thee great vocalists in Heavy rock. RIP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:04 pm 

Rockabilly Artist Sanford Clark, Who Influenced Elvis Presley and Keith Richards, Dead at 85
Sanford Clark, who was best known for his 1956 Top 10 hit "The Fool," died on the Fourth of July from COVID-19
By Glenn GarnerJuly 06, 2021 01:20 PM

https://people.com/country/rockabilly-artist-sanford-clark-dead-age-85-covid/

Sanford Clark, a rockabilly artist best known for his 1956 Top 10 hit "The Fool," has died. He was 85.

The singer/guitarist died from COVID-19 on Sunday at Mercy Hospital in Joplin, Missouri, where he was receiving cancer treatment before he contracted the coronavirus, his publicist Johnny Vallis told the Associated Press.

Clark debuted in 1956 with writer/producer Lee Hazlewood's "The Fool," which peaked at No. 7 on the Billboard Top 100. He later re-recorded the track in 1965 with Waylon Jennings on guitar. The song was featured onscreen in the Academy Award-winning 2013 film Dallas Buyers Club, and it's been covered by several artists, including Elvis Presley.

According to Vallis, Presley recorded the song twice, once for his personal recordings while serving in the Army, and again for release in 1970. "You can hear that he's trying to emulate Sanford's sound," Vallis said. "You know, most people I know want to impersonate Elvis, and here Elvis was trying to impersonate him."

The Oklahoma-born musician has also been cited as one of Keith Richards' influences, as the Rolling Stones member recalled Clark's "Son of a Gun" as one of the first songs he performed onstage in his 2010 memoir Life.

His other songs include "Calling All Hearts," which has been featured in episodes of Nashville and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and "Bad Case of You," which appeared in two episodes of Transparent.

Born Oct. 24, 1935 in Tulsa, Oklahoma, Clark was raised in Phoenix, Arizona, where he began performing in the early 1950s. After releasing several other songs in the '50s and '60s, he left the music business to work in construction, but he occasionally recorded under his own label Desert Sun Records in later years.

Clark is survived by his wife Marsha and several children.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:09 pm 

Richard Donner, Director of ‘Superman,’ ‘The Goonies’ and ‘Lethal Weapon,’ Dies at 91

The Bronx-born Donner, a genial man with a booming voice, started his career directing for television. His TV credits include a laundry list of staple shows from the ’60s including Route 66, The Rifleman, The Twilight Zone, The Man From U.N.C.L.E., Gilligan’s Island, Perry Mason and The Wild Wild West. His debut feature X-15 in 1961 with Charles Bronson (and a young Mary Tyler Moore) was followed by the 1968 crime comedy Salt & Pepper starring Sammy Davis Jr. and Peter Lawford, and 1969’s Lola with Charles Bronson and Susan George. He segued to films full time with 1976’s spooky The Omen.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:20 pm 

Jeff LaBar, guitarist for hard rock band Cinderella, dies aged 58
16th of July 2021, 12:32 pm

Jeff LaBar, the guitarist for the hugely popular 1980s hard rock band Cinderella, has died at the age of 58.

The musician was reportedly found dead on Wednesday inside his apartment in Nashville by his first wife Gaile LaBar-Bernhardt, who told TMZ no one had been able to reach him for several days.

No cause of death has been released, with his son Sebastian sharing the tragic news on social media, hailing his dad a "hero".

(Photo by Chris McKay/WireImage)
Jeff Labar and Tom Keifer of Cinderella.

"So i just got the call... Jeff LaBar, my father, my hero, my idol, passed away today," he wrote.

"I'm currently at a loss for words. I love you pop! ... If you could, please share pictures or video of all the fun times we all had with my dad. It would be greatly appreciated."

LaBar's former bandmates also issued a statement in his honour as they paid tribute to the "bond" they shared as a group.

"Heavy hearts cannot begin to describe the feeling of losing our brother Jeff," they shared with Rolling Stone Magazine.

"The bond between us over decades of creating music and touring the world is something that we as a band uniquely shared.

“Those memories with Jeff will be forever alive in our hearts. It’s unimaginable that one of our band brothers has left us.

"We’re sending his wife Debinique, his son Sebastian, family, and friends our deepest condolences.

“Jeff’s memory and music will be with us forever. We all… band, family and management appreciate the overwhelming outpouring of love. Rest In Peace Jeff.”

Photo: Koh Hasebe/Shinko Music/Getty Images
(L-R) Fred Coury (drums), Jeff LaBar (guitar), Eric Brittingham (bass) in 1989.

LaBar joined the band shortly before they signed with Mercury/Polygram Records, and he played on all four of their studio albums, including 1986 debut 'Night Songs'.

Their final studio album 'Still Climbing' dropped in 1994, but they continued to tour throughout the 2000s and early 2010s, before calling time on the group in 2017.

Keifer said at the time, "There's been a lot of issues over the course of decades and build-up that is beyond repair at this point. So there won't be any reunion."

LaBar also joined his bandmate Eric Brittingham in side project Naked Beggars - who released two LPs - and his own solo album 'One For The Road' came out in 2014.

Even after the group stopped recording in the mid-'90s, it also continued to tour on and off until as recently as 2015.

Photo: Instagram
Jeff LaBar with Rudolph Schenker & Matthias Jabs from The Scorpions.

Among those posting tributes was Michael Sweet of Stryper who wrote: "I'm deeply saddened to hear the news of the passing of Jeff LaBar. I had the honour of meeting Jeff multiple times when he would attend our shows in Nashville, Tn. He was always a gentleman and very kind and complimentary.

"He was always very supportive of our band and I've always viewed him as a great guy with a big heart. May God bless you Jeff and may God bless the LaBar family, friends and fans worldwide. Godspeed my friend."

The Scorpions wrote in a statement: "Our hearts and prayers go out to his family and friends."

https://nz.news.yahoo.com/jeff-labar-gu ... 21162.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:00 am 

Robby Steinhardt, violin player for Kansas.

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop-culture-news/robby-steinhardt-violinist-vocalist-kansas-dies-71-n1274433

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:12 pm 

Jackie Mason, Rabbi Turned Contentious Comedian, Dies at 93

Jackie Mason, the former rabbi from a family of rabbis whose Borscht Belt style and issue-oriented comedy made him a popular and at times controversial performer, has died. He was 93.

Mason died Saturday at Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan, his longtime friend, lawyer Raoul Felder, told The Hollywood Reporter. Mason had trouble breathing and passed away in his sleep, he said.

Mason’s first of his many one-man shows, The World According to Me!, was a hit on Broadway in the late 1980s — selling every seat at the Brooks Atkinson Theatre for more than a year — and he was given a special Tony Award for his efforts. He also received an Emmy and a Grammy nomination after the show was adapted as Jackie Mason on Broadway.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:35 am 

https://goodwordnews.com/death-of-the-writer-henri-vernes-creator-of-the-adventurer-bob-morane-france/
https://www.tvanouvelles.ca/2021/07/26/deces-de-lecrivain-henri-vernes-createur-de-bob-morane

This guy created Bob Morane. He was 102.

All my childhood heroes are dying. SAD...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:47 am 

Joey Jordison (46), Slipknot drummer
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/ ... ummer-dies

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:09 am 

Dusty Hill - ZZ Top

https://www.tmz.com/2021/07/28/zz-top-bassist-dusty-hill-dead-dies/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:28 pm 

Theoretical physicist Steven Weinberg:
In 1979 Weinberg, Abdus Salam and Sheldon Glashow were awarded the Nobel Prize in physics for their electroweak theory, which unified the electromagnetic force with the weak nuclear force. Their theory predicted the existence of a number of as-yet unknown fundamental particles, including the Z and Higgs bosons. The Higgs boson was discovered in 2012...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:05 pm 

They're droppin' like flies. :cry:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7984 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 314, 315, 316, 317, 318, 319, 320  Next