Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6869 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 268, 269 ... 275  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:22 am 

Isao Takahata, Japanese animator and co-founder of Studio Ghibli. Among his works are the masterpieces Grave Of The Fireflies and The Tale of Princess Kaguya.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:49 am 

Shrewnews wrote:
R.I.P. Cecil Taylor. :cry:

Much respect, RIP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:09 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Shrewnews wrote:
R.I.P. Cecil Taylor. :cry:

Much respect, RIP

:(

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:25 pm 

^^Been listening to more of Cecil Taylor in the last year. I think you can hear a link between his improv and FZ’s guitar playing. Of course, he was on the Freak Out list.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:48 pm 

I saw Cecil Taylor perform in a Highschool gymnasium. Solo piano. A typical rambling performance. High energy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:50 pm 

KUIII wrote:
^^Been listening to more of Cecil Taylor in the last year. I think you can hear a link between his improv and FZ’s guitar playing. Of course, he was on the Freak Out list.

That's where I discovered Cecil Taylor, and many many other people.....Thanks again FZ.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:03 am 

Miloš Forman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:15 am 

ursinator wrote:
Miloš Forman

RIP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:20 am 

Art Bell Dead at 72

One of radio’s most successful syndicated hosts has died. Both the Las Vegas Review Journal and NBC TV in Las Vegas are reporting that Art Bell died at his home in Las Vegas on Friday, April 13. The Nye County Sheriff’s Office announced that an autopsy will be done later this week to determine the cause of death.

Bell’s paranormal-themed overnight show, “Coast to Coast AM,” was syndicated on hundreds of stations by Premiere back in the 90’s. He left the show in 2002. He also had a show on SiriusXM in 2013. Bell was 72 years old. Most recently Premiere was syndicating Bell’s show Somewhere In Time which was the best in classic Art Bell shows from 6pm – 10pm on Saturdays.

https://radioink.com/2018/04/14/art-bell-dead-at-72/

Spent many late nights listening to Coast to Coast AM getting freaked out, educated, and always entertained! :? :shock: :D
You will be missed Mr. Bell! :smoke:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:19 am 

Goodbye, Mr. Forman.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:54 pm 

cory1984 wrote:
Art Bell Dead at 72[

If anyone deserved to die on Friday the Thirteenth, it was Art...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:24 am 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
cory1984 wrote:
Art Bell Dead at 72[

If anyone deserved to die on Friday the Thirteenth, it was Art...

I remember back in my field days driving around late at night listening to Art and being freaked out... :smoke:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:43 pm 

R. Lee Ermey - Gunnery Sgt. Hartman in Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket, has died at 74

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:42 am 

^^^ Best drill sgt EVER!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:38 am 

Actor Harry Anderson found dead in North Carolina home, police say

(CNN) Actor Harry Anderson, known for playing Judge Harry Stone on the NBC sitcom "Night Court," was found dead in his home in Asheville, North Carolina, on Monday, police say. He was 65 years old.

Asheville Police responded to the actor's home at 6:41 a.m., where he was found dead. Asheville police spokesperson Christina Hallingse said no foul play is suspected.

Anderson was nominated for three consecutive Emmy Awards in the mid-1980s for his portrayal of the eccentric Judge Harry Stone on "Night Court," IMDB says. He also starred in the 1990s sitcom "Dave's World," based on the life of Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist Dave Barry.

Before "Night Court," Anderson played Harry, a small-time con man and semi-regular patron at the bar in "Cheers."

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0026789/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:05 pm 

Henri Landwirth.....Probably not a real well known name, but had his ticket to heaven punched many years ago.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-henri-landwirth-obit-give-kids-the-world-20180417-story.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:06 pm 

Former First Lady Barbara Bush

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:44 am 

WWE Hall Of Famer Bruno Sammartino Dies At 82

WWE Hall of Famer Bruno Sammartino has passed away at age 82.

Sanmmartino passed away with his wife, Carol, and sons, Darryl and Dan, by his side. He died peacefully after battling health issues for the last two months.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2018/04/18/wwe-bruno-sammartino-dies-82/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:23 pm 

Verne Troyer dead at 49

R I P Mini Me

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:26 pm 

World's oldest person dead at age 117 http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nabi-taji ... -1.4630395

Japan's Nabi Tajima was last known person born in 19th century. She reportedly had more than 160 descendants, including great-great-great grandchildren

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:34 am 

Here's Verne with the cast and director of what I think is his best movie - The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:07 am 

Bob Dorough, ‘Schoolhouse Rock!’ Performer and Writer, Dies at 94

Ready or not, Here I come (counting by fives)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3pb73onvK8

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:27 pm 

Neville Brothers saxophonist Charles Neville dead at 79
Last updated 17:47, April 27 2018
Dave Martin
Charles Neville was best known for three decades of performances with his siblings in the Grammy-winning Neville Brothers band.

New Orleans-born saxophone player Charles Neville, who once backed up BB King and later gained fame with the Neville Brothers band and their rollicking blend of funk, jazz and rhythm and blues, has died. He was 79.

His death came on Thursday (Friday NZ time), months after he disclosed he was fighting pancreatic cancer.

Neville's career dated to the 1950s when he performed with King and other musical greats. Yet he was best known for three decades of performances with his siblings Aaron, Art and Cyril as the Grammy-winning Neville Brothers band. The band was formed in the 1970s and gained fans with high-energy performances featuring a distinctive fusion of funk, jazz and New Orleans rhythm and blues.

A publicist for Aaron Neville's management agency confirmed the death in an email. Aaron Neville, who first disclosed the news to WWL-TV in New Orleans, declined an interview but posted a lengthy tribute to his brother on Facebook.

I know you have a spot in the heavenly band next to James Booker, James Black, Herbert Hardesty, Fats Domino, Johnny Adams all the jazz bebop players who you turned me on to,'' Aaron Neville wrote. "Dizzy, Charlie Parker, Miles and the list goes on.''

Charles Neville, who lived in Massachusetts in recent years, had announced in January that he had pancreatic cancer.

His death came a day before the opening of his hometown's signature musical and cultural event, the annual New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival.

The Neville Brothers were a fixture on closing day of the festival for years. And members of the family continue to be a part of the event. Aaron is scheduled for a May 4 performance. Charles' daughter, singer Charmaine Neville, is scheduled for a May 5 performance, the same day Aaron's son Ivan performs with his band Dumpstaphunk.

Charles Neville's life included a stint at Louisiana's state prison in the early 1960s. He told an interviewer that he was sentenced to five years for possession of two marijuana cigarettes. The prison was notoriously dangerous but Neville said on the public radio programme Music Inside Out that the time there sharpened his musicianship.

He explained that he worked in the prison music room. "I stayed in the music room practicing all day,'' he said.

He also had access to books on music, and, at times, exposure to other imprisoned musicians. "James Booker was there,'' he said, referring to a celebrated New Orleans pianist.

- AP
https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/m ... dead-at-79

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:41 pm 

In local news

The Exponents guitarist David 'Duck' Barraclough dead

The Exponents guitarist David 'Duck' Barraclough has died after a month long battle with pancreatic cancer.

Barraclough, who played the guitar for the iconic Kiwi band from 1994 to 2000 and was a New Zealand 2015 Music Hall of Fame inductee, died on Wednesday.

Lead singer of The Exponents Jordan Luck said he died quickly.

"No more pain, no suffering," he said. "When last we spoke he was more cheerful than his normal happy self and only despondent about his beloved Crystal Palace's woeful season."

Barraclough joined the band when then-lead guitarist Brian Jones left for England in 1993. Luck recalled almost "putting the band to bed" before he spotted Barraclough playing.
FACEBOOK / Jordan Luck
The Exponents,with David 'Duck Barraclough second from right.

The guitarist was born in Queensland and lived in Sydney before joining the Why Does Love Do This To Me artists.

In a statement about Barraclough's death, Luck called him "an exceptionally gifted guitarist, an exceedingly excellent touring companion", letting his talent shine in songs La La Lulu, Shouldn't Be Allowed, One In A Lifetime and The Summer You Never Meant.

Last year Barraclough released a solo album, Ducks....
Supplied
David Barraclough, left, with The Exponents frontman Jordan Luck.

There will be no funeral, Luck said. "David has just gone out to buy some strings."
FACEBOOK/David 'Duck' Barraclough
Barraclough released an album just last year titled, Ducks...
AudioCulture
David Barraclough played with The Exponents from 1994 to 2000.

- Stuff

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/m ... lough-dead

:cry: :cry: definitely one of the good guys, he will be missed.....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:26 am 

Larry Harvey, Burning Man founder, dies at 70

(CNN) Larry Harvey, the founder of the Burning Man event now held in Nevada, has died after suffering a stroke earlier this month, event CEO Marian Goodell said Saturday. He was 70.

"Burning Man culture has lost a great leader and an inspiring mind," she said in a written statement. "He adeptly interpreted the manifestation of what became a movement. I have lost a dear friend who I've known, loved, and worked beside for nearly 22 years."

Harvey had a stroke April 4, she said.

"As he told one of us recently, Larry liked to create 'scenes' that made people consider the world in a new way. He was extraordinarily successful at doing just that."

Burning Man is a multiday event dedicated to art and community, where attendees are asked to follow a set of rules that include the practice of "gifting."

Founded in San Francisco in 1986 as a bonfire ritual for summer solstice, the event moved to Nevada in 1990. Over the years, it has grown in popularity, with the temporary metropolis becoming a celebration of art and architecture, showcasing futuristic structures made with state-of-the-art technology.

"You're free to be you," Harvey told CNN in 1997 about the event. "The only person, the only type of person that wouldn't like it here ultimately, that we'd recommend not come, are intolerant people. They get irritated."

Since 2000, a wooden temple has formed the sacred center of Burning Man.

Tens of thousands of people attend the event in the Black Rock Desert.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6869 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 268, 269 ... 275  Next