Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6414 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254 ... 257  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:35 pm 

I like a bit of XTC, Oranges & Lemons was my last purchase.....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:55 pm 

^^i think Andy's still active meaning he still plays. He doesn't release much new music though. There was the song writing collaboration with Mike Keneally that was released as Keneally's Wing Beat Fantastic. Andy doesn't perform on it very much though. The XTC catalog is getting the Steven Wilson re-mix, remaster, reissue treatment. Several titles are already out. I need to jump on those. I like XTC a lot. When I first saw them being discussed on this thread I was worried somebody in the band had kicked it. So glad that's not the case.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:40 pm 

Mayor of Simpleton is a good song of theirs.
I had a promo dvd from the mid-90s in which Andy Partridge is getting his hair clipped at a barbershop and talking about the origin of the band. Seemed like a good idea.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:36 am 

Joseph Bologna, Onscreen Tough Guy With a Sense of Humor, Dies at 82

Joseph Bologna in “The Woman in Red” (1984).

Joseph Bologna, who looked like the quintessential tough guy but couldn’t seem to resist writing and playing sensitive male characters who longed for love and commitment in films like “Lovers and Other Strangers” and “Made for Each Other,” died on Sunday in Duarte, Calif. He was 82.

filmography :arrow: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004767/reference

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:10 am 

I thought he was great in My Favorite Year.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:06 pm 

British 'king of gameshows', Sir Bruce Forsyth, dies aged 89
Last updated 04:25, August 19 2017

OLIVIA HARRIS/REUTERS
TV presenter and entertainer Sir Bruce Forsyth, pictured in 2013, has died aged 89. (File photo)

Veteran TV presenter and entertainer Sir Bruce Forsyth, one of Britain's best-known gameshow hosts, has died at the age of 89, according to the BBC.

Forsyth fronted programmes including The Generation Game and Play Your Cards Right. Most recently he presented dance contest Strictly Come Dancing for 10 years until 2014.

BBC director general Tony Hall described him as "one of the greatest entertainers our country has ever known".

"He has delighted millions of people and defined Saturday night television for decades ... his warmth and his wit were legendary," Hall said in a statement.

"He had a remarkable chemistry with his audience - that's what made him such an amazing professional and why he was so loved."

The BBC reported Forsyth, who was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II in 2011, had been unwell for some time and had undergone keyhole surgery in 2015 after suffering two aneurysms.

- Reuters

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/c ... s/95946430

Nice to see you, to see you "NICE"

Cheers Brucie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:17 pm 

Dick Gregory, Trailblazer of Stand-Up Comedy, Dies at 84

Dick Gregory, a pioneering force of comedy in the 1960s who parlayed his career as a stand-up into a life of social and political activism, has died, his rep confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dick-gregory-trailblazer-of-stand-up-comedy-dies-at-84/ar-AAqmQeO?li=BBnb7Kz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:56 pm 

another childhood hero bites the big one :cry: :cry: :cry: like a baby

All Blacks great Sir Colin Meads dies after battle with cancer
Last updated 15:41, August 20 2017

All Blacks legend Sir Colin Meads has died following a year-long battle with cancer. He was 81.

Meads was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in August last year and died at Te Kuiti Hospital on Sunday morning.

In 133 matches for the All Blacks between 1957 and 1971, the tough-as-teak King Country lock played 55 tests - 11 as captain - and became recognised throughout the world as the face of New Zealand rugby.

He was a colossus of a bygone era, well before the advent of professionalism led to a huge increase in the number of tests played each year.

Colin Meads in his playing days. Credit: THE DOMINION

His wife, Verna, Lady Meads and the couple's five children have expressed via NZ Rugby their sincere gratitude for the care and support the family has received in the past 12 months since Meads' diagnosis.

"Our heartfelt thanks to the staff at Te Kuiti Medical Centre, particularly doctors David McLean and Keith Buswell, and to the nursing staff at Te Kuiti Hospital for their superb care of Colin," she said.

"To our friends, thank you for your love and care. The visits and phone calls were enjoyed by Colin and appreciated by us all. To those throughout the country who sent Colin best wishes, we thank you for your kindness."

Meads is survived by Verna, their children Karen, Kelvin, Rhonda, Glynn and Shelley, their 14 grandchildren and seven great grandchildren.

CHRISTINE CORNEGE/ STUFF
Sir Colin Meads has died, aged 81.

NZ Rugby chairman Brent Impey has paid tribute to a man who left an unrivalled mark on the national game. Famously nicknamed 'Pinetree', Meads was New Zealand Rugby's player of the 20th century and was made a Knight Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit in 2009.

"Sir Colin is an icon of rugby and New Zealand. Uncompromising on the field, his exploits are that of folklore, while he was just as revered off the field," Impey said.

In a career that spanned almost two decades, Meads played 361 first-class matches, a feat only recently surpassed by Keven Mealamu.

"Beyond his playing days, he continued to support the game at many levels, but it was his significant contribution and support for organisations outside of rugby, that made him a very special New Zealander," Impey said.

"He contributed much to many organisations such as the IHC, the Crippled Children's Society and the New Zealand Rugby Foundation, at a time when the game suffered a series of serious spinal injuries.

"He will be remembered as possibly the most treasured legend of our game."

Meads succeeded Sir Wilson Whineray as patron of the NZ Rugby Foundation, and nominated Richie McCaw as his successor. In a statement, the NZRF said Meads drove from Te Kuiti to Auckland in March to attend their annual meeting, and admitted he was "pretty crook".

"He always went out of his way to spend time with the VIPs (Very Injured Players). At events, he could always be found yarning away with them, taking personal interest in them and their families and carers. He always made each individual feel like the most important person in the room," the NZRF said.

"When we were fundraising he would always ask who the sponsors and big donors were and then in his special way, make those supporters feel valued and appreciated. At our fundraising events he was often on stage being interviewed as part of the star line up. His mana, quiet powerful voice, stories and humour, always had entire audiences captured. And then he would go and mix with the guests. We always enjoyed watching people's reactions. People just loved him."

A FRIEND REMEMBERS

Long-time friend of Meads, rugby photographer Peter Bush re-tells the story of when he first visited Pinetree's home.

"There will never be another one like him, it's the end of an era, I'm proud to say that he was a friend, a man who was so feared and admired," Bush said.

"I was one of the first photographers to go out to his farm. I hitchhiked up there unannounced. I was pretty nervous walking up the driveway and then saw Colin and Stan doing the docking. Piney looked up and said, "Don't just stand there Bushy, come and give us a hand."

"I spent one of the most memorable days of my life giving them a hand around the farm and snapped a picture of Piney and Stan in the doorway of the house after Verna had put on a lovely meal for us.

"I joked to Piney that the house could do with a paint and he told me to tell the chairman of NZRU next time I saw him that Piney needed some paint for his house.

"Another time I took a photo of Piney with a lamb under either arm that a friend of mine Chris Landon who was a reporter with the Daily Mirror quite liked.

"I joked to Chris that Piney would carry those same sheep around right up to the beginning of the rugby season as a fitness exercise and he printed it as a serious story in the Mirror, which I thought pretty funny, it just added to the legend though.

"He was just a legend that kept on growing as he kept playing. The game where he played on with his arm broken. The South Africans always prided themselves as being the toughest of the tough but they even admitted that Pinetree was up there with them, which is a big compliment from a great rugby nation.

"The game changed so much in his lifetime, but I've never seen anyone like him. I remember covering an All Black trial match in Palmy and Piney and some of the boys were getting on the train and I saw an NZRU official give him a few bob and say, 'buy the boys a few beers for the train trip.'

"You wouldn't see that these days."

there must be an election coming up POLITICIANS PAY TRIBUTE

Prime Minister Bill English acknowledged the passing of Meads while on the election trail in the Hawke's Bay.

"This is a sad day for New Zealand rugby and for New Zealand," English said.

"I have had the privilege of getting to know Sir Colin. He was not only a great All Black but also a genuinely good New Zealand bloke. He represented what it means to be a New Zealander. He was no-nonsense, reliable, hardworking, warm and very generous with his time.

"I remember when I was younger hearing stories about how he used to shear sheep all day and go running at night. I thought I'd give it a go. I quickly learned the Meads legend was built on physical and mental toughness."

New Zealand First leader Winston Peters also sung praise of 'Pinetree' Meads.

"He wore his celebrity on a sound and sensible set of shoulders," Peters said.

"He was a quintessential unassuming New Zealander - one of those we feel especially proud of as a nation.

"He was such a great inspiration to so many young Kiwis, on the field and off. We will miss him."

Labour leader Jacinda Ardern paid tribute to Meads in her opening comments at the party's election campaign launch.

- Stuff

I think I'll have a few drinks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:55 am 

La la la, nice ladeee

Jerry Lewis, dead at 91.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/jerry-lewis-dies-dead-nutty-professor-1202533899/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:07 pm 

Location: Behind a ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk
^^
RIP

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:37 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
^^
RIP

RIP Jerry Lewis

You Will Never Walk Alone

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:43 am 

Extremely sad to learn of the passing of one of my guitar heroes, John Abercrombie...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:11 am 

^^
One more giant ascends, rip

Billy Cobham Total Eclipse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vGPzMW5vcg

Drums [Traps], Timpani [Tympany] – Billy Cobham
Electric Bass – Alex Blake
Flute, Soprano Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone – Mike Brecker
Guitar [Electric & Ovation Guitars] – John Abercrombie
Keyboards – Milcho Leviev
Trombone [Tenor & Bass Trombones] – Glenn Ferris
Trumpet, Flugelhorn – Randy Brecker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:40 pm 

I just learned of the death of John Abercrombie. Such great music came out of him. RIP

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:53 pm 

Comic actor Jay Thomas is dead at 69
http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/comic-actor-jay-thomas-is-dead-at-69/ar-AAqEAVL?li=BBnbfcL

From his Mork & Mindy days.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:03 pm 

Milton Bradley wrote:

I always loved this story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdxVN5YO1JY

RIP Jay

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:44 am 

Tobe Hooper, 'Texas Chain Saw Massacre' Director, Dead at 74

http://www.slashfilm.com/tobe-hooper-dead/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:21 am 

Tobe Hooper is a real shame. I always had a real soft spot for TCM 2 - everybody else seems to hate it, but I LOVED the scene in radio station; "MUSIC is my life".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RrN7k_5fl4

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:32 pm 

Wilson das Neves

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:41 am 

Mireille Darc, another great actrice from france :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:23 pm 

Yes Mireille DArc was a fine fine actress. Quite funny and produced a numbe of documentaries about teenage prostitution...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:02 pm 

Sumiteru Taniguchi (88), survivor of the Hiroshima blast and campaigner for nuclear disarmament, died of cancer.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... es-aged-88

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:40 pm 

Former Villanova Basketball Coach Rollie Massimino Dies at Age 82

Former Villanova Wildcats basketball coach Rollie Massimino died Wednesday at age 82. The university confirmed his death on its official athletics website.

Massimino coached the Wildcats for 19 years and compiled a 355-241 record at the school. In 1985, he helped lead the Wildcats to a national championship victory over the Georgetown Hoyas in what's considered one of the biggest upsets in NCAA tournament history.

Upon leaving Villanova in 1992, Massimino coached the UNLV Rebels for two seasons and finished his coaching career with the Cleveland State Vikings, where he stayed for seven years.

Massimino's 481 career victories are tied for 74th all time in Division I. He won 298 more games with the Keiser Seahawks, an NAIA program in West Palm Beach, Florida.

Massimino was inducted into the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame in 2013.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:51 pm 

^^I had a chance to talk to Harold Pressley one time who played on that 1985 team (and later the Sacramento Kings). Nice guy.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:59 am 

RIP Richard Anderson

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6414 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254 ... 257  Next