Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7987 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 306, 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 312 ... 320  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:49 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Ken Hensley, songwriter with 70s rock band Uriah Heep, dies aged 75

I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but, in my mid-teens (early 70s), I was a big fan of uriah heep. they were just the coolest band ever... :roll:

rest in peace, mr. hensley.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:41 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
Ken Hensley, songwriter with 70s rock band Uriah Heep, dies aged 75

I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but, in my mid-teens (early 70s), I was a big fan of uriah heep. they were just the coolest band ever... :roll:

rest in peace, mr. hensley.

Me too, they were big back in the day, I'm not to sure what went wrong.....

Years ago I came across a guerrilla video recording of them "in concert" they were
squeezed onto a tiny stage in a small pub and absolutely going for it,
it was if they were playing a stadium, marginal recording awesome show.
It may have been a mid to late 70's recording.....

I'll have to dig it out of the vault (storage unit) for old times sake.....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:39 am 

Alex Trebek, Longtime Host of ‘Jeopardy,’ Dies at 80

Jeopardy! is saddened to share that Alex Trebek passed away peacefully at home early this morning, surrounded by family and friends. Thank you, Alex.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:51 am 

^^^^^^bummer

Joel Pett

David Fitzsimmons

Dave Whamond

Bob Gorrell

Dave Granlund

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:03 pm 

“Weird Al” Yankovic – I Lost On Jeopardy (US 12" Promo)

“I Lost On Jeopardy” is a song by “Weird Al” Yankovic from his second album, “Weird Al” Yankovic in 3-D, released in 1984. The song is a parody of “Jeopardy” by The Greg Kihn Band, released in 1983, and its refrain “Our love’s in jeopardy”. The parody’s lyrics center on the game show Jeopardy!, and features a guest vocal from Don Pardo, who announced for Jeopardy! from 1964 to 1975.

The song was released just prior to the revival of Jeopardy! in 1984, though contrary to popular theory, the revival was already in the works and was not inspired by Yankovic’s song.

The song peaked at #81 on the US Billboard Hot 100.

If you're looking for a little conceptual continuity, Side A features Don Pardo, and Side B is about Lisa Pompeil's dad.

Producer – Rick Derringer

SIDE A:
I Lost On Jeopardy (12″ Mix) 5:31
Mixed By – Randy Cunningham

SIDE B:
Mr. Popeil 4:40

EQUIPMENT USED:
Turntable: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (DC)
Cartridge: Ortofon 2M
Stylus: Ortofon 2M Bronze
Isolation: Auralex Acoustics ISO-Tone Turntable Isolation Platform
Platter: Pro-Ject Acryl-It platter
Stabilizer: Pro-Ject Record Puck
DAC/Phono Pre-amp: Alpha Design Labs GT40a USB DAC
Record Cleaning: VPI HW 16.5 Record Cleaning Machine
Artwork Scans: Epson Workforce WF-7610 Professional Printer/Scanner

SOFTWARE USED:
Recording/Editing: Adobe Audition 3.0 (Recording)
Down Sampling/Dither: iZotope *SPAM* Advanced 2
Artwork Editor: Adobe Photoshop CS5
Click Removal: Manual
FLAC Conversion: dBpoweramp

DOWNLOAD EXPIRES ONE WEEK FROM TODAY

NO SIGN-UP / NO PASSWORD

FLAC FILES

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/f1dea877f3bf9fa32031c2e1c517a8b420201111005955/8f899c

Steve Breen

Joe Heller

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:49 am 

A friend, whom I haven't seen in a long time, has died of Covid-19. He was married to my girlfriend's sister. We did a bunch of beach trips back in the '80s.

George Nock dies at age 74

George was a running back for the Washington Redskins and the New York Jets during the early '70s.

After retiring from the National Football League, George worked in art as a sculptor and painter.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:53 pm 

oh man, sorry for your loss Mr. Nice Guy.....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:40 am 

Sorry too for your lost, Mr.NG.
And I think of those covidiots who still refuse to just wear a mask.

This week-end, our local newspapers did a 10 pages story about a dozen of folks
who recovered from the COVID-19. But recovering is too strong a word here...

The damages are somewhat impressing...

One had his leg and half of his face paralysed, another can't climb a stair, many can't walk,
all of them have troubles breathing, another lost his taste feeling and the tip of his tongue is now dead,
some are experencing serious memory blanks, almost all of them spent days in coma,
some have permanent scars on the lungs, etc...

Maybe instead of talking about those who died, they should talk about those of survived !

Last edited by Mij on Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:25 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
oh man, sorry for your loss Mr. Nice Guy.....

+1... :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:56 am 

So sorry to learn, jimmie_d...

These days I got involved into a bad email melee at work, back at a colleague's provocation of the "bogus" covid pandemic. I felt backed by the 1.4M+ dead :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:01 am 

Don Diego Maradona, 60

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:09 pm 

maradona outjumps england goalkeeper peter shilton to score with his "hand of god" goal as england defenders look on during the 1986 fifa world cup quarter final in mexico city. :|

rest in peace, maradona.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:17 pm 

RIP Diego Maradona.....

as I heard someone say today "God has got his hand back"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:45 am 

Tchavdar Nikolov

Angel Boligan

Osama Hajjaj

Dario Castillejos

Bart van Leeuwen

Zapiro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:23 am 

Pat Patterson, Creative Genius Behind WWE Booking, Dead at 79
By Dan Cancian On 12/2/20 at 9:06 AM EST

https://www.newsweek.com/pat-patterson-wwe-booking-genius-dead-1551763

at Patterson, the ground-breaking professional wrestler who served as Vince McMahon's right-hand man for nearly 20 years, has died at the age of 79. He had recently been battling cancer.

Born Pierre Clermont in Quebec, Canada, he adopted the name Pat Patterson upon his wrestling debut in 1958. Despite the anglicized name, he never shook his natural accent and his Francophone pronunciation was much mimicked among wrestling fans and performers themselves.

He joined what was then the World Wrestling Federation (now WWE) in 1979, and became the company's first Intercontinental champion. He was awarded the title after a kayfabe (fictitious) tournament in Rio De Janeiro.

The choice of location was a backstage joke—Patterson was an open homosexual at a time when wrestling was still considered a traditional, conservative field of entertainment.

In a tweet on Wednesday, the WWE paid tribute to the late wrestling star, saying it was "saddened to learn that WWE Hall of Famer Pat Patterson has passed away."

Former WWE commentator Jim Ross and WWE minority owner Shane McMahon also paid tribute to Patterson.

"[A] True legend of the pro wrestling business," Ross tweeted.

"A wonderful mentor who taught me so much."

McMahon added: "I can not express how crushed I feel right now with the loss of Pat Patterson. A true member of my family, mentor and dear friend. I love you Pat."

Feuding with the likes of Sergeant Slaughter, Patterson won Match of the Year in the 1981 Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards. Retiring from the ring in 1984, he began work as a commentator for WWF's French-language broadcasts, before transferring to a backstage role where he was arguably the most influential producer in wrestling history.

He was the referee for the first WrestleMania main event, where Hulk Hogan and Mr. T teamed together, and was both the creator and creative mind behind the Royal Rumble—wrestling's most beloved gimmick match.

His work as an agent was highly regarded, with his laying out of the Hogan vs Ultimate Warrior match at WrestleMania VI being often seen as an example of how he could book main events between two limited performers.

He continued to make appearances on-screen in his later years, as one of McMahon's "stooges" in the Attitude Era, and last year he even became the oldest ever male champion in WWE history, winning the 24/7 title in a backstage skit.

In 1992, Patterson was released by the WWF after being accused of sexual harassment by former announcer Murray Hodgson. However, he was swiftly re-hired after a short hiatus once the charges against him were dropped.

Over a decade later, in 2004, Patterson retired from WWE again only to return less than a year later as he continued to work for the company, albeit in a limited capacity.

In July last year, aged 78, Patterson became the oldest person ever to win a title in WWE history, when he claimed the WWE 24/7 Championship by pinning Drake Maverick backstage.

The title also marked Patterson's first title reign in almost two decades.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:13 am 

David Lander, Squiggy in ‘Laverne & Shirley,’ Dies at 73

Actor David Lander, best known as Squiggy on the ABC sitcom “Laverne & Shirley,” died Friday evening at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, his family confirmed to Variety. He was 73.

Lander died of complications related to multiple sclerosis, which he battled for 37 years. Since he went public with his diagnosis in 1999, Lander has worked closely with the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, speaking out about his experience at related conferences.

more here :arrow: https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/david-lander-dead-dies-squiggy-laverne-shirley-1234847158/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:11 am 

:( RIP Squiggy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:55 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
:( RIP Squiggy

+1 very funny character... :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:29 pm 

Chuck Yeager, Test Pilot Who Broke the Sound Barrier, Is Dead at 97

A World War II fighter ace and Air Force general, he was, according to Tom Wolfe, “the most righteous of all the possessors of the right stuff.”

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:48 pm 

Keyboard player Howard Wales has died at age 77. Perhaps best known for his album "Hooteroll?" with Jerry Garcia, and playing on a couple of tracks on the Dead's "American Beauty"
Also appears on the first album by the somewhat obscure band A. B. Skhy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:33 am 

Thomas 'Tiny' Lister Jr., 'Friday' actor, dead at 62 after apparently experiencing Covid-19 symptoms

Actor and wrestler Thomas Lister Jr., also known as "Tiny," was found dead in his home Thursday after experiencing Covid-19 symptoms, his manager told CNN.

The 62-year-old actor started feeling sick a week ago, but his symptoms "got really bad, really quick," manager Cindy Cowan said.

He couldn't breathe and felt very weak, she said.

"It literally went so fast," Cowan added.

Lister was best known for his role as Deebo in the "Friday" movie franchise alongside rapper Ice Cube. He also appeared with Hulk Hogan in the World Wrestling Entertainment movie "No Holds Barred."

Jackie Brown - Winston :arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lllVnoBVKjQ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:41 am 

Bill Bramhall

Joe Heller

Dave Granlund

John Darkow

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:45 pm 

RIP Charlie Pride :(

Charley Pride, country music's first Black star, dies at 86
Mark Kennedy
11:10 December, 13th, 2020.

CHARLIE NEIBERGALL/AP
Charley Pride performs during his induction into the Country Music Hall of Fame at the awards show at the Grand Ole Opry House in Nashville in 2000.

Charley Pride, country music’s first Black star whose rich baritone on such hits as Kiss an Angel Good Morning helped sell millions of records and made him the first Black member of the Country Music Hall of Fame, has died. He was 86.

Pride died Saturday in Dallas, Texas, of complications from Covid-19, according to Jeremy Westby of the public relations firm 2911 Media.

“I’m so heartbroken that one of my dearest and oldest friends, Charley Pride, has passed away. It’s even worse to know that he passed away from Covid-19. What a horrible, horrible virus. Charley, we will always love you,” Dolly Parton tweeted.

Pride released dozens of albums and sold more than 25 million records during a career that began in the mid-1960s. Hits besides Kiss an Angel Good Morning in 1971 included Is Anybody Goin’ to San Antone, Burgers and Fries, Mountain of Love, and Someone Loves You Honey.

He had three Grammy Awards, more than 30 No. 1 hits between 1969 and 1984, won the Country Music Association’s Top Male Vocalist and Entertainer of the Year awards in 1972 and was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2000.

The Smithsonian in Washington acquired memorabilia from Pride, including a pair of boots and one of his guitars, for the National Museum of African American History and Culture.

Ronnie Milsap called him a “pioneer” and said that without his encouragement, Milsap might never gone to Nashville. “To hear this news tears out a piece of my heart,” he said in a statement.

Until the early 1990s, when Cleve Francis came along, Pride was the only Black country singer signed to a major label.

CHARLIE NEIBERGALL/AP
Charley Pride, right, receives his Country Music Hall of Fame plaque from Merle Haggard. Pride, the son of sharecroppers in Mississippi and became one of country music’s biggest stars and the first Black member of the Country Music Hall of Fame, has died at age 86.

In 1993, he joined the Grand Ole Opry cast in Nashville.

“They used to ask me how it feels to be the `first coloured country singer,‘” he told The Dallas Morning News in 1992. “Then it was `first Negro country singer;’ then `first black country singer.′ Now I’m the `first African-American country singer.′ That’s about the only thing that’s changed. This country is so race-conscious, so ate-up with colours and pigments. I call it `skin hangups’ – it’s a disease.”

Pride was raised in Sledge, Mississippi, the son of a sharecropper. He had seven brothers and three sisters.

In 2008 while accepting a Lifetime Achievement Award as part of the Mississippi Governor’s Awards for Excellence in the Arts, Pride said he never focused on race.

“My older sister one time said, ‘Why are you singing THEIR music?’” Pride said. “But we all understand what the y’all-and-us-syndrome has been. See, I never as an individual accepted that, and I truly believe that’s why I am where I am today.”

As a young man before launching his singing career, he was a pitcher and outfielder in the Negro American League with the Memphis Red Sox and in the Pioneer League in Montana.

After playing minor league baseball a couple of years, he ended up in Helena, Montana, where he worked in a zinc smelting plant by day and played country music in nightclubs at night.

After a tryout with the New York Mets, he visited Nashville and broke into country music when Chet Atkins, head of RCA Records, heard two of his demo tapes and signed him.

To ensure that Pride was judged on his music and not his race, his first few singles were sent to radio stations without a publicity photo. After his identity became known, a few country radio stations refused to play his music.

For the most part, though, Pride said he was well-received. Early in his career, he would put white audiences at ease when he joked about his “permanent tan.”

“Music is the greatest communicator on the planet Earth,” he said in 1992. “Once people heard the sincerity in my voice and heard me project and watched my delivery, it just dissipated any apprehension or bad feeling they might have had.”

JOHN RUSSELL/AP
US country music legend Charley Pride with his wife Rozene. Pride died on Saturday of complications from Covid-19.

Throughout his career, he sang positive songs instead of sad ones often associated with country music.

“Music is a beautiful way of expressing oneself and I truly believe music should not be taken as a protest,” he told The Associated Press in 1985. “You can go too far in anything – singing, acting, whatever – and become politicized to the point you cease to be an entertainer.”

In 1994, he wrote his autobiography, Pride: The Charley Pride Story, in which he disclosed he was mildly manic depressive.

He had surgery in 1997 to remove a tumour from his right vocal cord.

He received the Living Legend award from The Nashville Network/Music City News, recognising 30 years of achievement, in 1997.

“I’d like to be remembered as a good person who tried to be a good entertainer and made people happy, was a good American who paid his taxes and made a good living,” he said in 1985. “I tried to do my best and contribute my part.”

He is survived by his wife, Rozene, whom he married in 1956; three children, Kraig, Dion and Angela; and several grandchildren.

AP

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/m ... dies-at-86

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:53 pm 

RIP John le Carré :(

John le Carré, the author of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, dies aged 89
Darren Bevan
11:25, December the 14th, 2020.

CURTIS BROWN GROUP
Author John le Carre has died aged 89.

John le Carré, the author of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, has died aged 89 of pneumonia.

In a statement from his literary agency, The Curtis Brown Group, CEO Jonny Geller said “It is with great sadness that I must share the news that David Cornwell, known to the world as John le Carré, passed away after a short illness (not Covid-19 related) in Cornwall on Saturday evening, 12th December, 2020.

“He was 89. Our hearts go out to his four sons, their families and to his dear wife, Jane.

”For six decades, John le Carré dominated the bestseller lists and review pages with his monumental body of work.

“His dramatic launch onto the global scene began with the publication of his third novel in 1963, The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, and the public revelation of his secret life working with the British Intelligence Services.

“Devoting his life to writing, he went on to define the Cold War era with the help of his character, George Smiley, and through his complex plots and beautiful prose, beamed a harsh light at the injustices of our world.”

The actor Alec Guinness played George Smiley in the 1979 BBC TV series Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

Le Carré’s last novel, Agent Running in the Field, was published in October 2019.

”His like will never be seen again, and his loss will be felt by every book lover, everyone interested in the human condition.

”We have lost a great figure of English literature, a man of great wit, kindness, humour and intelligence. I have lost a friend, a mentor and an inspiration," Geller said.

A brief family statement paid tribute to the hospital staff in Cornwall who’d looked after le Carré.

“It is with great sadness that we must confirm that David Cornwell – John le Carré – passed away from pneumonia last Saturday night after a short battle with the illness.

“David is survived by his beloved wife of almost fifty years, Jane, and his sons Nicholas, Timothy, Stephen and Simon. We all grieve deeply his passing.

“Our thanks go to the wonderful NHS team at the Royal Cornwall Hospital in Truro for the care and compassion that he was shown throughout his stay. We know they share our sadness,” it concluded.

Stuff

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/b ... es-aged-89

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:17 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
John le Carré, the author of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, dies aged 89

I heard an interview with him on npr today. it's from 2017.

:arrow: ...novelist john le carré reflects on his own 'legacy' of spying

rest in peace, mr. smiley.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7987 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 306, 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 312 ... 320  Next