Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 253, 254, 255, 256, 257  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:45 am 

This one slipped by, two weeks ago....

Silky-voiced Jimmy Beaumont, frontman for Skyliners, dies at 76

Jimmy Beaumont, the golden-voiced singer of the Skyliners, died Saturday in his sleep at his home in McKeesport at age 76 after a career that lasted nearly 60 years.

“He was just a phenomenal talent,” said Henry DeLuca, who promoted the Roots of Rock and Roll concerts that celebrated many a Skyliners anniversary. “All the Pittsburgh singers idolized him. A distinctive voice that no one could imitate.”

Mr. Beaumont, a humble and soft-spoken star, was still singing as recently as Sept. 17 when the Skyliners performed a concert in New York.
He was best known for the 1959 hit “Since I Don’t Have You,” a magical, tearful ballad that topped the Cashbox R&B chart and went to No. 3 on the Billboard R&B chart.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:27 pm 

AC/DC producer and Easybeats musician George Young dead at 70
Sydney Morning Herald
Broede Carmody

Facebook / AC/DC AC/DC producer George Young (far right) with brothers Malcolm and Angus Young.
AC/DC producer and The Easybeats' star George Young has died at the age of 70.

AC/DC said in a statement the band would not exist without Young's "help and guidance".

"As a musician, songwriter, producer, advisor and much, much more, you could not ask for a more dedicated and professional man," the statement read.

"You could not ask for a finer brother. We will always remember him with gratitude and hold him close to our hearts."

Mark Allan/AP
Singer Axl Rose, left and Angus Young of the band AC/DC perform at the Olympic Stadium in London, Saturday, June 4, 2016.

George was the eldest brother of Australian rock legends Malcolm and Angus Young. He was born in Scotland in 1946 but emigrated to Australia with his family when he was still a child.

He shot to fame in the '60s as a guitarist for the Sydney-based rock band The Easybeats. While the band broke up in 1970, he and lead guitarist Harry Vanda were later inducted into the ARIA Hall of Fame.

Young was also known for co-producing AC/DC's early albums, including TNT, Dirty Deeds Done Cheap and Let There Be Rock.

ARIA would like to send its deepest sympathies to the family, friends and fans of Easybeats guitarist/songwriter and record producer George Young, who has passed away, aged 70. pic.twitter.com/KmM617VbLp
— ARIA (@ARIA_Official)

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world/ac ... ocid=ientp

:( :cry: :(

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:40 pm 

“Friday On My Mind” is a good song. RIP Mr. Young. Any idea how Malcolm’s health is? I take it not too good.

On a side note: That’s what Axl looks like these days?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:57 pm 

KUIII wrote:
“Friday On My Mind” is a good song. RIP Mr. Young. Any idea how Malcolm’s health is? I take it not too good.

Yes it is... :!:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:00 pm 

Robert Guillaume, Emmy-winning actor & star of 'Benson'(and prior to that, 'Soap') dies at 89

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:08 pm 

Just heard about Mr. Guillaume, such a loss. John Dunsworth of The Trailer Park Boys passed? Man, if they ever do another season, it won't be the same. Things you find out when you haven't been at the forum for some time. :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:11 pm 

Plook wrote:
KUIII wrote:

The last news on Malcolm Young was not good, he was slowly losing his marbles and had no memory of playing an instrument let alone AC DC, very sad, but is receiving the best care money can buy..... :(

All these people passing is damned depressing.....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:57 am 

No kidding. It was a sad sight to see former San Francisco 49er great Dwight Clark basically say his goodbyes at the game Sunday. He is stricken with ALS (the same disease my Mother died from) and doesn’t appear to have much time left. For those that don’t follow such things he was involved in the most famous play in 49er history “The Catch” in 1982 that sent the 49ers to their first Super Bowl. He’s 60.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:09 am 

Location: Behind a ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk
Fats Domino: Rock and roll legend dies aged 89

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:17 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Fats Domino: Rock and roll legend dies aged 89

Years ago, during hurricane Katrina, I was happy to hear that Fats made it out alive although his piano was damaged and he lost some other things as well. Thankfully he had a long life. Now we are down to Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard and maybe a few others I can't think of who are the first generation godfathers of rock 'n' roll.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:37 am 

well damn, that sucks.
RIP fats

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:15 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Plook wrote:
KUIII wrote:

The last news on Malcolm Young was not good, he was slowly losing his marbles and had no memory of playing an instrument let alone AC DC, very sad, but is receiving the best care money can buy..... :(

All these people passing is damned depressing.....

On the plus side, it's nice to be able to forget Kissin' Dynamite.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:22 am 

One more :(

Fats Domino, rock 'n' roll pioneer, dead at 89
Last updated 05:00, October 26 2017

Fats Domino, the amiable rock'n'roll pioneer whose steady, pounding piano and easy baritone helped change popular music while honouring the traditions of the Crescent City, has died. He was 89.

Mark Bone, chief investigator with the Jefferson Parish, Louisiana, coroner's office, said Domino died of natural causes early Tuesday.

In appearance, he was no Elvis Presley. He stood 164cm and weighed more than 90kilograms, with a wide, boyish smile and a haircut as flat as an album cover. But Domino sold more than 110 million records, with hits including Blueberry Hill, Ain't It a Shame in which he sang the lyrics as "ain't that a shame" - and other standards of rock `n' roll.

Fats Domino was contemporaries with Chuck Berry and Little Richard.

He was one of the first 10 honorees named to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and the Rolling Stone Record Guide likened him to Benjamin Franklin, the beloved old man of a revolutionary movement.

His dynamic performance style and warm vocals drew crowds for five decades. One of his show-stopping stunts was playing the piano while standing, throwing his body against it with the beat of the music and bumping the grand piano across the stage.

Domino's 1956 version of ``Blueberry Hill" was selected for the Library of Congress' National Recording Registry of historic sound recordings worthy of preservation. The preservation board noted that Domino insisted on performing the song despite his producer's doubts, adding that Domino's ``New Orleans roots are evident in the Creole inflected cadences that add richness and depth to the performance."

Domino became a global star but stayed true to his hometown, where his fate was initially unknown after Hurricane Katrina struck in August 2005. It turned out that he and his family were rescued by boat from his home, where he lost three pianos and dozens of gold and platinum records, along with other memorabilia.

Many wondered if he would ever return to the stage. Scheduled to perform at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival in 2006, he simply tipped his hat to thousands of cheering fans.

But in May 2007, he was back, performing at Tipitina's music club in New Orleans. Fans cheered - and some cried - as Domino played I'm Walkin', Ain't It a Shame, Shake, Rattle and Roll, Blueberry Hill and a host of other hits.

REUTERS
New Orleans rhythm and blues legend Fats Domino performs at the 30th Annual New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival April 25, 1999 (file photo).

That performance was a highlight during several rough years. After losing their home and almost all their belongings to the floods, his wife of more than 50 years, Rosemary, died in April 2008.

Domino moved to the New Orleans suburb of Harvey after the storm but would often visit his publishing house, an extension of his old home in the Lower 9th Ward, inspiring many with his determination to stay in the city he loved.

"Fats embodies everything good about New Orleans," his friend David Lind said in a 2008 interview. "He's warm, fun-loving, spiritual, creative and humble. You don't get more New Orleans than that."

The son of a violin player, Antoine Domino Jr. was born on Feb. 26, 1928, to a family that grew to include nine children. As a youth, he taught himself popular piano styles - ragtime, blues and boogie-woogie - after his cousin left an old upright in the house. Fats Waller and Albert Ammons were early influences.

He quit school at age 14, and worked days in a factory while playing and singing in local juke joints at night. In 1949, Domino was playing at the Hideaway Club for $3 a week when he was signed by Imperial record company.

He recorded his first song, The Fat Man, in the back of a tiny French Quarter recording studio.

"They call me the Fat Man, because I weigh 200 pounds," he sang. "All the girls, they love me, 'cause I know my way around."

In 1955, he broke into the white pop charts with Ain't it a Shame, covered blandly by Pat Boone as Ain't That a Shame and rocked out decades later by Cheap Trick. Domino enjoyed a parade of successes through the early 1960s, including Be My Guest and I'm Ready. Another hit, I'm Walkin', became the debut single for Ricky Nelson.

Domino appeared in the rock'n'roll film The Girl Can't Help It and was among the first black performers to be featured in popular music shows, starring with Buddy Holly and the Everly Brothers. He also helped bridge rock'n'roll and other styles - even country/western, recording Hank Williams' Jambalaya and Bobby Charles' Walkin' to New Orleans.

Like many of his peers, Domino's popularity tapered off in the 1960s as British and psychedelic rock held sway.

Domino told Ebony magazine that he stopped recording because companies wanted him to update his style.

"I refused to change," he said. "I had to stick to my own style that I've always used or it just wouldn't be me."

Antoine and Rosemary Domino raised eight children in the same ramshackle neighbourhood where he grew up, but they did it in style - in a white mansion, trimmed in pink, yellow and lavender. The front double doors opened into an atrium with chandeliers hanging from the ceiling and ivory dominos set in a white marble floor.

In 1988, all of New Orleans seemed to be talking about him after he reportedly paid in cash for two Cadillacs and a US$130,000 Rolls-Royce. When the salesman asked if he wanted to call his bank about financing, Domino smiled and said: "I am the bank."

In 1998, he became the first purely rock `n' roll musician to be awarded the National Medal for the Arts. But he cited his age and didn't make the trip to the White House to get the medal from President Clinton.

That was typical. Aside from rare appearances in New Orleans, he dodged the spotlight in his later years, refusing to appear in public or even to give interviews.

- AP

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/m ... dead-at-89

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:45 am 

Steve Breen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:02 pm 

Dick Gordon, command module pilot for Apollo 12 and one of only 24 people who have visited the Moon:
He was 88...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:06 pm 

John Hillerman, Higgins on 'Magnum, P.I.,' Dies at 84

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:19 pm 

ALICE COOPER Pays Tribute To 'Welcome To My Nightmare' Tour Session Drummer WHITEY GLAN
November 9, 2017

Whitey Glan, best known for his work as a session drummer with Lou Reed and Alice Cooper, passed away on November 7 at the age of 71. Whitey was diagnosed with lung cancer in September after follow-up tests from treatment for pneumonia in August.

Cooper commented on Whitey's passing in a Facebook post earlier today (Thursday, November 9). He wrote: "I picked Whitey Glan as the drummer for my 'Welcome To My Nightmare' tour because he was simply the best drummer around, not knowing he could drink me under a table. He was just a great guy, everybody who's worked with him considered him one of their best friends. He was one of rock's premier drummers, but in my opinion, he was very underrated and underpublicized — he was certainly a drummer's drummer! Canada is less one world class musician... rest in peace, Whitey."

According to Toronto Moon, Whitey had been anchoring a weekly Saturday afternoon series in Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada with a band known as WHITEY & THE ROULETTES since August of last year. In recent years, he also appeared with a number of local R&B veterans, including the DANNY B BAND, Mike McKenna and former MANDALA bandmate George Olliver.

Rest In Peace Whitey! I picked Whitey Glan as the drummer for my Welcome To My Nightmare Tour because he was simply the best drummer around, not knowing he could drink me under a table! He was just a great guy, everybody who’s worked with him considered him one of their best friends. He was one of rocks premier drummers, but in my opinion he was very under rated and under publicized - he was certainly a drummer's drummer! Canada is less one world class musician...
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/alice- ... itey-glan/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:47 am 

These three:

In October of this year, I was informed by a former co-worker that my boss from 1979-1996 had died this past June. Neither I nor any of my other former co-workers had known about it, nor had anyone spoken to him in many years. We all had great respect for this man, and he taught me a lot about work and life.

Later in October, someone e-mailed me the obituary of a guy I worked with daily for 5 years from 1998-2003. He was my age and died of cancer. I hadn't spoken with him in about 10 years. He was disliked by many people where I worked, but we got along okay and I learned a lot about our business from him as well.

Two weeks ago a current co-worker died suddenly and unexpectedly of a heart attack at home. The office was in shock, which still lingers. In my 38 years of employment, I had never experienced this. She left behind a husband who is battling cancer and a 15 year old daughter. Very sad.

Thanks for listening!

>You don't.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:28 am 

Location: Behind a ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk
Very sad, my condolences...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:10 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

+1...I know the feeling of multiple losses, all I can say is think good thoughts, the dark thoughts can be crippling when they are allowed to creep in... :idea:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:34 pm 

Sorry to hear about that,friend...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:48 pm 

Plook wrote:
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

+1...I know the feeling of multiple losses, all I can say is think good thoughts, the dark thoughts can be crippling when they are allowed to creep in... :idea:

Healthy to express your feelings to others as well. Often, we just need to reach out to someone and say what is weighing on us, rather than just bottling it up. I have a brief story from yesterday to relate:

Suddenly I no longer wanted to be in the house and went on a road trip. Ended up at a store I used to frequent from my early teens until my late twenties. A comic book store to be precise. Used to be run by this crusty old guy named Bob (born in 1925) and is now run by his son. Realized I had snapped a photo of Bob standing in his store from the late 90's and thought his son would appreciate it.

The place was pretty much the same and I felt like a time traveler. The son really did appreciate the black and white photo and spent 10 min. talking about his parents who were now both deceased many years. Turns out his father died in 2005 at the age of 80 as a result of a tree he was cutting down falling on his head, breaking his brittle back in 16 places. (what's wrong with this picture, I thought. An 80 yr. old operating a chainsaw?! Kept that to myself) Nevertheless, I sensed that the son was happy to reflect on the memory of his late father, it was an emotional release for him and he mentioned that he misses him everyday. He also has two cats & a wife who was there (homely as fuck and looks like Geddy Lee circa 1977. Each time I looked at her, I heard "FLY BY NIGHT A-WAAY FROM HERE" causing me to laugh) I'm told the black & white photo of Bob will be placed on the wall behind the register right next to the framed dollar bill of their first sale back in 1981. A place of honor. I purchased two comic books for as a gift to my nephew and left.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:41 pm 

^^^You’re right. She does look a lot like Geddy Lee.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:52 pm 

Fuuuuck!

Chuck Mosley former Faith No More frontman dies at 57

Chuck Mosley, the singer on Faith No More's first two albums, died Thursday, according to a statement from his family, "due to the disease of addiction." He was 57.

A Los Angeles native, Mosley played with future Faith No More bassist Bill Gould in a band called the Animated. The pair relocated to the Bay Area and joined Faith No More -- which had gone through a string of singers, including Courtney Love -- in 1983. His snarling, rap-inflected, at times comical vocals are featured on the band's first two albums, its 1985 Mordam debut "We Care a Lot" and its 1987 major-label bow, "Introduce Yourself," which was released on Slash through Warner Bros. A revamped version of "We Care a Lot" became an alternative radio hit and got an occasional look on MTV.

Mosley was ejected from the band in 1988 and replaced by Mike Patton, whose versatile vocals helped bring the band to multiplatinum success with the 1989 release "The Real Thing," which featured hits like "Epic" and "Falling to Pieces." Mosley subsequently sued the band, claiming a violation of a partnership deal; the case was settled out of court. He later joined hardcore legends the Bad Brains for a generally unsuccessful stint and later formed a band called Cement. A number of solo albums and occasional reunions with Faith No More ensued.

A statement from his family, posted on the EMP Label Group's Facebook page, reads: "After a long period of sobriety, Charles Henry Mosley III lost his life, on November 9th, 2017, due to the disease of addiction. We're sharing the manner in which he passed, in the hopes that it might serve as a warning or wake up call or beacon to anyone else struggling to fight for sobriety. He is survived by long-term partner Pip Logan, two daughters, Erica and Sophie and his grandson Wolfgang Logan Mosley. The family will be accepting donations for funeral expenses. Details to follow when arranged."

http://www.msn.com/en-nz/entertainment/ ... ocid=ientp

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:12 pm 

I like those early FNM albums a lot. Sad to hear.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 253, 254, 255, 256, 257  Next