Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:26 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
I did like a lot of his songs though, despite being over-programmed.

Reminds me of one of Mr.Petty's songs: "Jamming Me"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCFAzPl1QmE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:59 pm 

I always thought Petty was the best (and my favorite) of the so-called heartland rockers or blue collar rockers which to me would include Springsteen, Bob Seger, Cougar/Mellencamp, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:20 pm 

when it's time to leave you go
-Tom Petty Blue Sunday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtxfTahwXkk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:05 am 

Waaaaay back in 1986 I was waiting at Wellington airport to collect a work colleague when "fuck me dead" there's Bob Dylan and his entourage coming through the arrivals lounge, I made a beeline for Bob to get an autograph when I was intercepted by a massive mountain of a man who made it quite clear that Mr. Dylan wasn't signing any autographs......I resisted the urge to ask Bob if he wanted to buy some mandies and got out of the way, then a voice behind me said, hey man I'll sign your book, it was Tom Petty, I was a little shocked and mumbled something, when Tom was done he handed my dairy to this stunning woman beside him to sign, and that is how I got Stevie Nicks and Tom Petty's autographs.....My wife, the queen of autographs, was green with envy for years afterwards..... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:42 am 

this just in: SANTA HAS HIS OWN DAIRY!!! Image

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:17 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Waaaaay back in 1986 I was waiting at Wellington airport to collect a work colleague when "fuck me dead" there's Bob Dylan and his entourage coming through the arrivals lounge, I made a beeline for Bob to get an autograph when I was intercepted by a massive mountain of a man who made it quite clear that Mr. Dylan wasn't signing any autographs......I resisted the urge to ask Bob if he wanted to buy some mandies and got out of the way, then a voice behind me said, hey man I'll sign your book, it was Tom Petty, I was a little shocked and mumbled something, when Tom was done he handed my dairy to this stunning woman beside him to sign, and that is how I got Stevie Nicks and Tom Petty's autographs.....My wife, the queen of autographs, was green with envy for years afterwards..... :mrgreen:

Cool story with a great memento, Mr. Ghost.
Right place at the right time 8)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:07 am 

Milton Bradley wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:

Cool story with a great memento, Mr. Ghost.
Right place at the right time 8)

The ultimate lemons to lemonade story... :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:24 am 

Location: Behind a ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk
Mr Petty just earned sympathy points with me. RIP. Nice story, Ghost...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:14 pm 

Tom Stiglich

Clay Jones

Peter Broelman

Steve Benson

David Fitzsimmons

Mike Luckovich

Milt Priggee

Clay Jones

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:36 pm 

^ Not a very good caricature, but the cartoonist knows what a Rickenbacker looks like!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:48 pm 

KUIII wrote:
I always thought Petty was the best (and my favorite) of the so-called heartland rockers or blue collar rockers which to me would include Springsteen, Bob Seger, Cougar/Mellencamp, etc.

I don't own any albums by Springsteen, Cougar or Seger.
I own every Tom Petty album.

Do you lump Petty in with those three? I've heard this Heartland thing a few times and it seems way off the mark. It's just that Tom Petty is psychedelic rock from Los Angeles via Florida. In the early years it was more like pop rock or whatever. His lyrics are on a whole different level, too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:59 pm 

Here's something I'm sure no one's ever heard: Why is Keith Richards still around and Tom Petty is gone? :wink: Nothing against you Keef, it's just so odd.

Here's my Tom Petty story: Many years ago when Tom and Bob toured, a friend and I went to see them at The Paso Robles Fair (I'll bet Plook has been there.) and we sat in the bleachers next to where the artists went backstage. Here comes Mister Dylan, silent and not acknowledging anyone...most of the people kind of kidding him to get him to at least wave, to no avail. Tom walks by, we say hey and wave, he looks at many of us there, waves back and smiles wide! At the time, I swore he was looking at my friend and I, but I know he was looking at many of us. So nice to even just wave, didn't take any time. A great rocker and a stand-up guy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:18 pm 

Comedian Ralphie May Dies at 45

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/news/comedian-ralphie-may-dies-at-45/ar-AAsZOz9

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:04 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
KUIII wrote:

I don't own any albums by Springsteen, Cougar or Seger.
I own every Tom Petty album.

Do you lump Petty in with those three? I've heard this Heartland thing a few times and it seems way off the mark. It's just that Tom Petty is psychedelic rock from Los Angeles via Florida. In the early years it was more like pop rock or whatever. His lyrics are on a whole different level, too.

If you like lumping things together I think that grouping makes sense in some ways. They're all from different parts of the country yet sort of true to the blue collar, small town experience. Petty was a lot more diverse, experimental, and trippy at times and, agreed, a lot more clever/sly with his lyrics. I liked the music better too even though it could get a little too strummy like with the "Free Falling" type stuff. I guess it takes a little bit of talent to make something that simple sound memorable though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:04 am 

Bunny Sigler, Who Helped Create 1970s Philly Sound, Dies

Walter "Bunny" Sigler, a singer, songwriter and producer who helped create the The Sound of Philadelphia" in the 1970s has died. He was 76.

His longtime attorney, Lloyd Zane Remick, said Sigler died of a heart attack Friday at his home outside Philadelphia.

Sigler worked with Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff in developing a genre that blended soul, funk and big band styles, and cemented the city in the country's musical landscape with its lush horn ensembles and smooth vocals.

Gamble says Sigler was one of the most talented songwriters and producers he ever worked with.

"I am truly and deeply saddened by the passing of my very dear friend Walter 'Bunny' Sigler," Gamble said. "He was one of the most talented, creative, and great songwriters and music producers I have worked with. He contributed so many great songs to our PIR artist roster from the beginning. Bunny also was a great singer, and performed superbly on many of our hit songs as a background vocalist."

As a performer, Sigler was known for such hits as "Let the Good Times Roll & (Feel So Good)." His career spanned decades and saw collaborations with acts as varied as Patti LaBelle and Jay-Z.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:04 am 

Y.A. Tittle.

It would not surprise me if the Giants' performance thus far this season is what did him in.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:20 am 

Jean Rochefort, another great actor from france :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:26 am 

AGuyWithAWrench wrote:
Y.A. Tittle.

It would not surprise me if the Giants' performance thus far this season is what did him in.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:51 am 

ursinator wrote:

A truly great actor (150 films), very very funny and a horse aficionado. When asked why such a great actor played in many cheap/bad movies over the years, his response was something like "those films were needed to buy oats for my horses".

Terry Gilliam is only finishing his Don Quichotte now, because, among other disasters in 2000, Jean Rochefort, had a double discal hernia from riding. He never rode again....and J.Depp was in it also......

RIP

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:34 am 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:09 am 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
ursinator wrote:

A truly great actor (150 films), very very funny and a horse aficionado. When asked why such a great actor played in many cheap/bad movies over the years, his response was something like "those films were needed to buy oats for my horses".

Terry Gilliam is only finishing his Don Quichotte now, because, among other disasters in 2000, Jean Rochefort, had a double discal hernia from riding. He never rode again....and J.Depp was in it also......

RIP

Didn't realize Gilliam finally was able to make "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote". Looks like pre-production started in 2008 and they finally shot it from March through June of this year. The movie that took 20 years to shoot. Expectations will be pretty high for this one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:58 am 

Pity Johnny Depp's not in the new version. I thought he was excellent in the few short bits that they filmed for the first version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=652Nm7ZMs4g

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:17 pm 

John Dunsworth dead at 71 as Trailer Park Boys actor passes away following a 'brief and unexpected illness'

Trailer Park Boys actor John Dunsworth has passed away aged 71.

Dunsworth, who played Jim Lahey on the show, died following a 'brief and unexpected illness', his daughter Sarah Dunsworth said.

"With heavy and broken hearts the family of John F. Dunsworth would like to let people know that our amazing husband, father and grandfather John Dunsworth has passed away," she wrote in a statement posted on Twitter.

"John left this world peacefully after a short and unexpected illness."

The actor was a Nova Scotia, Canada, native who was active in his local theatre and acting community for decades.

He first became part of what would become Trailer Park Boys when he played a version of the Jim Lahey character for the first time in the short film One Last Shot.

He would go on to play the character-infamous for his drunken, bisexual escapades as a trailer park supervisor and police officer at different times in the series-throughout its initial seven seasons run in Canada and again when the show was revived by Netflix.

The series is set to debut its twelfth season on Netflix in the coming year. He would also play the character in all of the Trailer Park Boys films and one-off specials.

Beyond his role as Lahey, the actor was also known for playing Dave Teagues in the Syfy series Haven, which also filmed in Nova Scotia.

The series, based on the Stephen King novel The Colorado Kid, aired on the network for five seasons.

His first credited role was in the 1978 short So Long to Run. His next onscreen role was in the 1987 film Deep Sea Conspiracy.

He would go on to appear in Lexx: The Dark Zone Stories and the Canadian historical drama series Pit Pony among many other film and TV projects over his long career.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:24 pm 

Irish comedian, TV star Sean Hughes has died, aged 51
Last updated 09:56, October 17 2017

MJ KIM/GETTY IMAGES
Comedian Sean Hughes appeared in shows including Never Mind the Buzzcocks, and the film The Commitments.

The London-born, Ireland raised stand-up was best known for his time as a panelist on UK music quiz show, Never Mind the Buzzcocks, where, between 1996 and 2002, he starred alongside Phill Jupitus and Mark Lamarr.

Hughes also starred in the UK sitcom Sean's Show, in the early 1990s, and he performed in cult Irish film The Commitments.

In 1990, Hughes became the youngest person to win the coveted Perrier Award - now known as the Edinburgh Comedy Award - at the Edinburgh Festival. He was 24.

In a statement, his former management team said: "Sean Hughes the comedian, actor, writer and novelist, died this morning in hospital.

"He was at the time the youngest winner of the Perrier Award with his ground-breaking show, and went on to a glittering career.

"He was a formidable comedian and will be remembered by fans and the industry for his superb wit and quite brilliant imagination.

"He leaves behind two brothers, Alan and Martin."

It's since been reported that Sean had a heart attack after going into cardiac arrest following a flare up of cirrhosis of the liver.

Cirrhosis is a condition that can result in jaundice, swollen legs, itchy skin and vomiting blood. Long term, cirrhosis can lead to liver failure, which is usually fatal.

- Stuff

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/t ... ed-aged-51

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:58 am 

Gord Downie, lead singer of The Tragically Hip, has died
ROB GILLIES AND CHARMAINE NORONHA, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Last updated 07:29, October 19 2017

Gord Downie, who made himself part of Canada's national identity with songs about hockey and small towns as lead singer and songwriter of iconic rock band The Tragically Hip, has died at age 53 after a battle with brain cancer.

A statement on the band's website said he died Tuesday night "with his beloved children and family close by". The statement did not give a cause of death, though he had been diagnosed earlier with brain cancer.

Since The Tragically Hip's first album in 1987, the band has provided a soundtrack for the lives of many Canadians. Ahead by a Century and Bobcaygeon are among the best known.

While Canadian musicians Drake, the Weeknd and Justin Bieber have made waves internationally, the Tragically Hip built a huge following of die-hard homegrown fans.

CHRIS WATTIE/REUTERS
Tragically Hip singer Gord Downie has died

An emotional Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau wept in Parliament while talking about Downie on national television in a statement to reporters.

"We are less as a country without Gord Downie in it. We all knew it was coming but we hoped it wasn't,'' said Trudeau, his voice breaking. "I thought I was going to make it through this but I'm not. It hurts".

Trudeau also said in a written statement that "Downie uncovered and told the stories of Canada. He was the frontman of one of Canada's most iconic bands, a rock star, artist, and poet whose evocative lyrics came to define a country.''

KEVIN LIGHT
While Canadian musicians Drake, the Weeknd and Justin Bieber have made waves internationally, the Tragically Hip built a huge following of die-hard homegrown fans.

"He loved every hidden corner, every aspect of this country that he celebrated his whole life. And he wanted to make it better,'' Trudeau said in Ottawa.

Downie was diagnosed with glioblastoma, an aggressive and incurable brain cancer, in December 2015. When the band made the news public the following May, expressions of sorrow poured in from across the country.

That same day, the band said it would mount a Canadian tour despite Downie's cancer. Tickets for the 2016 summer tour sold out almost immediately, culminating in a national broadcast of the band's final tour stop at Kingston, Ontario. Millions tuned in.

Downie later said that he needed six teleprompters during the concert series so he would not forget lyrics. But through it all, Downie remained the consummate showman, rocking out on stage in distinctive leather suits.

"God knew this day was coming – his response was to spend his precious time as he always had – making music, making memories and expressing deep gratitude to his family and friends for a life well lived, often sealing it with a kiss ... on the lips,'' the Downie family said in a statement.

During his final show, Downie called out to Trudeau, who attended the concert, to help fix problems in Canada's aboriginal communities.

A few months after that concert, Downie released a solo album with an accompanying graphic novel and animated film inspired by the tragedy of state-funded church schools that Canadian aboriginal children were forced to attend from the 19th century until the 1970s. He said his "Secret Path'' project was aimed at Canada's decades-long government policy of requiring aboriginal children to attend residential schools, where physical and sexual abuse was often rampant.

Born in Amherstview, Ontario, Downie said he "always had a keen ear for music'' and while all the other kids were spending their allowance on baseball trading cards, he was buying records "from the fathers of rock `n' roll".'

While at university, he met Paul Langlois, Rob Baker, Gord Sinclair and Johnny Fray, and they formed The Tragically Hip, which started out as a cover band.

Their first self-titled EP was released in 1987 and their breakthrough debut full-length album, Up to Here, was released in 1989. Since then they have released 14 studio albums, two live albums, one EP and 54 singles. Nine of their albums have reached No. 1 in Canada. They have received numerous Canadian music awards, including 14 Juno awards, the equivalent of the Grammy in Canada.

The band's 2012 album, Now for Plan A, was lyrically influenced by Downie's wife and her successful battle with breast cancer.

Downie also produced three solo albums since 2001, as well as a collaboration with fellow Canadian indie darlings The Sadies.

Downie is survived by his wife and four children.

- AP

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/m ... p-has-died

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257  Next