Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 294, 295, 296, 297, 298  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:15 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Cameroonian Saxofonist Manu Dibango, 86, in Paris, victm of COVID-19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph5GB8RArks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0CeFX6E2yI

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:35 pm 

Bill Rieflin of King Crimson :(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:43 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Albert Uderzo, who drew the "Asterix and Obelix" comics that delighted legions of children and adults over the past six decades, has died aged 92
Martyn Turner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:38 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:

Seattle musician Bill Rieflin of King Crimson, R.E.M. dies at 59
March 25, 2020 at 6:00 am Updated March 25, 2020 at 7:09 am

By Michael Rietmulder
Seattle Times music writer
https://www.seattletimes.com/entertainment/music/seattle-musician-bill-rieflin-of-king-crimson-r-e-m-dies-at-59/

Veteran Seattle musician Bill Rieflin has died at age 59. A celebrated drummer and multi-instrumentalist, Rieflin’s remarkable career led him to perform with a diverse collection of bands including U.K. prog rockers King Crimson, R.E.M. and industrial metal leaders Ministry.

Rieflin died Tuesday morning after battling cancer for years, his sister-in-law Kathryn Rieflin confirmed. By Tuesday evening, social media was flooded with tributes from fans and Rieflin’s musician friends sharing warm memories of the in-demand drummer for hire, who got his start in the ’70s with Seattle punk bands the Telepaths and the Blackouts.

While Rieflin had deep ties to the Seattle music community, the bands he was best known for performing with weren’t from the region. After recording an early ’80s Blackouts EP with Ministry founder Al Jourgensen, Rieflin went on to join Jourgensen’s band and became a fixture in the industrial rock scene of the late-’80s and early-’90s, also performing with supergroups Revolting Cocks and Pigface.

Starting in 2003, Rieflin toured and recorded with R.E.M. until the band’s 2011 split. He also played with Northwest alt-rock stalwarts the Minus 5, led by fellow R.E.M. auxiliary member Scott McCaughey.

“A forever memory is decades old,” wrote R.E.M. frontman Michael Stipe on Instagram, “when I first met Bill at a late night Policeman’s bar in Seattle, sat at a greasy table drinking scotch, and we listened to ‘Birdland’ off the jukebox in reverent silence and awe. His attentiveness to that song then and there indicated a lot to me about what it would be to work with Bill — which commenced to create some magical and beautiful collaborations and life long friendships.”

While primarily known as a drummer, Rieflin was a versatile multi-instrumentalist and prolific session musician, recording with everyone from Nine Inch Nails to experimental rockers Swans and pop singer Robbie Williams. Most recently, Rieflin had served as a member of King Crimson.

“Fly well, Brother Bill!” King Crimson leader Robert Fripp wrote on Facebook. “My life is immeasurably richer for knowing you.”

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:46 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:

Oh my, that's terrible! I heard he lost his wife a while ago... So sorry to hear. RIP

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:22 am 

RIP Bill Rieflin

Oh so sad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:35 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
RIP Bill Rieflin

Oh so sad

Robert Fripp's account of Bill's time with King Crimson and his passing is truly harrowing:
https://dgmlive.com/diaries/Robert%20Fr ... rch25-2020

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:41 am 

God failed:

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressi ... rom-virus/

or maybe God set it as an example? Don't let your pastors follow idiots.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:21 am 

Tom Coburn - Dead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:07 am 

Daniel Azulay, Brazilian plastic artist, victim of COVID-19 while battling leukemia...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:13 am 

Tero wrote:
God failed:
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressi ... rom-virus/
or maybe God set it as an example? Don't let your pastors follow idiots.

Simple… Don't be an idiot !
It feels nice to see stupid people victim of their own stupidity !

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:34 am 

Krzysztof Penderecki, composer from poland. He is often named as one of the serious composers who influenced FZ. The soundtrack of the movie the shining contains some of his music (i already had the album before i saw the movie the first time). Together with the music of Bartok and Ligeti it helps making the movie as scary as it is.
The Shining Soundtrack OST - The Awakening of Jacob (HQ)
:cry:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:37 pm 

Country music star Joe Diffie dies of complications from coronavirus

Joe Diffie, a country music singer known for his lighthearted odes to country life that reached mainstream success in the 1990s, died Sunday from complications of coronavirus, his publicist said in a news release.

Diffie, a 61-year-old native of Tulsa, Oklahoma, made 13 albums and had more than 20 Top 10 hits to his credit, his publicist said. Sporting a mustache and mullet, his boot-scooting crowd-pleasers included the hits, "If the Devil Danced (In Empty Pockets)" and "Honky Tonk Attitude."

Two days before his death, Diffie released a statement saying he had tested positive for coronavirus and was receiving treatment.

"My family and I are asking for privacy at this time. We want to remind the public and all my fans to be vigilant, cautious and careful during this pandemic," the statement said.

His songs were full of tongue-in-cheek takes on life as a "good ol' boy," like 1994's "Pickup Man," his song about pickup trucks and the men who drive them.

"I met all my wives in traffic jams / There's just something women like about a pickup man," he sang.

more here :arrow: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/29/us/joe-diffie-coronavirus-death-trnd/index.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:52 pm 

CBS journalist Maria Mercader dies at 54 of coronavirus

(CNN) CBS News producer and talent executive Maria Mercader died of Covid-19 in New York Sunday, CBS said. She was 54.

Mercader worked at CBS for three decades, getting her start in the network's page program, CBS said in a release. She most recently worked as a director of talent strategy.

She had been on medical leave for an unrelated matter since late February, the network said.

Mercader "courageously fought cancer and related illnesses for 20 years, enduring numerous treatments and surgeries," CBS said. "To her colleagues and family, she was an inspiration and a symbol of hope each time she returned to work after the latest medical setback threatened to end her life."

As a producer on CBS News' foreign and national desks, Mercader helped produce coverage of "some of the biggest breaking news," including the death of Princess Diana and the 9/11 attacks, the release said.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:53 pm 

. . . on deck . . .

Singer-songwriter John Prine critically ill with Covid-19

Prine, 73, was hospitalized on Thursday and intubated Saturday night.

Opera singer Plácido Domingo hospitalized in Mexico with coronavirus

Opera legend Placido Domingo has been hospitalized in Acapulco, Mexico, with complications related to coronavirus, according to the singer's spokesperson.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:11 pm 

Holy Cow, they fall like flies…
:P

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:11 am 

Yes "they" are

Mark Blum, actor in 'Desperately Seeking Susan,' dies at 69 from coronavirus complications

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/c ... plications

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:10 pm 

Civil rights icon Rev. Joseph E. Lowery dies at 98

The Rev. Joseph E. Lowery, who has been called the dean of the civil rights movement, died Friday, The King Center said.

Lowery, 98, was a co-founder of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference with the Rev. Martin Luther King.

The Joseph and Evelyn Lowery Institute for Justice & Human Rights said he died peacefully at 10 p.m. surrounded by his daughters at home.

Mike Luckovich

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:48 pm 

Alan Merrill: I Love Rock 'N' Roll songwriter dies of coronavirus

The co-writer and original singer of I Love Rock 'N' Roll, Alan Merrill, has died after contracting coronavirus.

His daughter Laura shared the news, saying the 69-year-old had been healthy enough to play shows a few weeks ago.

"He played down the 'cold' he thought he had," she wrote, before warning other families not to be complacent.

"You don't think It'll happen to you or your strong family. It has," she wrote. "Stay home if not for you, for others. For my dad. This thing is real."

I Love Rock 'N' Roll became a global hit for Joan Jett in 1982 and has been covered by artists ranging from Britney Spears to Weird Al Yankovic.

A parody version, I Love Sausage Rolls, was last year's Christmas number one in the UK, with proceeds going to charity.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:23 am 

Penderecki and Merrill lost... :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:25 am 

Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
. . . on deck . . .

Opera legend Placido Domingo has been hospitalized in Acapulco, Mexico, with complications related to coronavirus, according to the singer's spokesperson.

Released from hospital treatment... Mean.

Wallace Roney, 59. from complications arising from COVID-19.

RIP

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:36 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
. . . on deck . . .

Released from hospital treatment... Mean.
Sorry about the flippant remark.

Andrew Jack, 'Star Wars' actor, dies from Covid-19

Andrew Jack, right, in "Star Wars: Episode VII -- The Force Awakens," alongside Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford

(CNN) - Andrew Jack, a British actor and dialect coach who had roles in a number of "Star Wars" movies, has died aged 76 after contracting Covid-19, his agent has said.

Jack played Major (and then General) Ematt in "Star Wars: Episode VII -- The Force Awakens" and "Star Wars: Episode VIII -- The Last Jedi."

He also worked as a vocal coach on a number of blockbuster movie franchises, including "Guardians of the Galaxy," "The Lord of the Rings" and "The Avengers."

Jack's agent, Jill McCullough, said in a statement that he died on Tuesday in a hospital in Surrey, England, as a result of the coronavirus.

more here :arrow: https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01/entertainment/andrew-jack-star-wars-coronavirus-dies-gbr-intl-scli/index.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:23 pm 

Adam Schlesinger, Fountains of Wayne singer, dead at 52 from Covid-19

Adam Schlesinger, the co-founder of pop-rock band Fountains of Wayne and an Oscar-nominated songwriter, has died from complications related to coronavirus. He was 52.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:36 pm 

^^^ Love their 1st album. Saw em live a handful of times and got to quickly greet the band after a show. Very sad.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:53 pm 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 294, 295, 296, 297, 298  Next