Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6870 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 267, 268, 269, 270, 271, 272, 273 ... 275  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:51 pm 

Spider-Man and Doctor Strange Co-Creator Steve Ditko Dead at 90

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:57 am 

Tab Hunter, screen heartthrob and gay icon, dies at 86

Tab Hunter, the blond actor and singer who was a heartthrob for millions of teenagers in the 1950s with such films as "Battle Cry" and "Damn Yankees!" and received new attention decades later when he revealed that he was gay, has died. He was 86.

Producer and longtime partner Allan Glaser said Hunter died Sunday of a blood clot in his leg that caused cardiac arrest. Glaser called the death was "sudden and unexpected."

Hunter was a star for several years. In addition to his hit movies, his recording of "Young Love" topped the Billboard pop chart in 1957.

But in his 2005 memoir, "Tab Hunter Confidential: The Making of a Movie Star," Hunter recounted the stresses of being a love object to millions of young women when he was, in reality, a gay man.

"I believed, wholeheartedly — still do — that a person's happiness depends on being true to themselves," he wrote. "The dilemma, of course, that was being true to myself — and I'm talking sexually now — was impossible in 1953."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:00 am 

Elvis, Frankfurt Zoo's popular aardvark, has left the building

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:32 pm 

Shinobu Hashimoto, Scriptwriter for Akira Kurosawa, Dies at 100

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:34 am 

3rd Rock From the Sun star, Elmarie Wendel, dies at 89

Elmarie Wendel, who played Mrs Dubcek on US hit sitcom 3rd Rock From the Sun, has died at the age of 89.

Her daughter, actress Jennifer "JC" Wendel, confirmed her death on social media.

The science fiction sitcom aired on NBC from 1996 to 2001 and was about four aliens posing as a human family to observe the behaviour of human beings.

In 1997, 3rd Rock won the most Emmy awards for a television series.

Before landing the role of the eccentric landlady, Wendel had a successful singing and acting career on Broadway before moving into television.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:02 am 

WWE Hall of Famer Nikolai Volkoff Dies at 70
https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2788427-wwe-hall-of-famer-nikolai-volkoff-dies-at-70.amp.html

WWE Hall of Famer Nikolai Volkoff died, the company announced Sunday.

He was 70.

"MY BEST FRIEND. MY PARTNER. MY BROTHER. WE GET MORE HEAT THAN ANYONE ON EARTH. I TRUST HIM WITH MY LIFE. HE TAKE CARE OF ME WHEN I WAS DOWN. I MISS YOU FOREVER," The Iron Sheik, Volkoff's longtime tag team partner, said on Twitter.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:18 pm 

Art Bell known as radio broadcaster on Coast to Coast died. Reason for death found here.

Last edited by punknaynowned on Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:23 pm 

punknaynowned wrote:
Art Bell known as radio broadcaster on Coast To Coast died. He was 72.

Dam it... :(

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:27 am 

punknaynowned wrote:
Art Bell known as radio broadcaster on Coast To Coast died. He was 72.

You're a little late on this one...I already posted this back in april when it happened...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:22 pm 

Rob (Zombie Boy) Genest
he was 32

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:49 pm 

Lot's of pain.... RIP

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:28 pm 

Charlotte Rae

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:30 am 

Joe Heller

Joël Robuchon, who had a seismic influence on French food turning it from stuffy to fun and accessible, is dead.

Robuchon's impact on food was so enormous, he was called "cook of the century" back in 1990. One of the things he did that has been enduring ... letting diners have a peek into how his food is cooked and plated. He was the first major chef to make it cool for diners to sit at a counter next to the kitchen.

Robuchon appeared on "Top Chef" and a variety of French cooking shows.

He was the holder of more Michelin stars than any chef in the world for years. As of 2016, he held 32 stars -- his peak. This year he had 31.

Perhaps his signature dish ... puree de pomme -- which you probably know as mashed potatoes. He prepared it simply, but it was amazing.

Robuchon died in Geneva from pancreatic cancer.

Joël was 73.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:50 am 

Scott Stantis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:54 am 

JIM 'THE ANVIL' NEIDHART
DEAD AT 63
AFTER FALL AT HOME

Wrestling legend Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart has died, according to the WWE. He was 63.

Neidhart passed away early Monday morning after suffering a medical emergency at a home in Florida.

According to the emergency dispatch audio, emergency personnel were called around 6:30 AM about a man having seizures and convulsions.

At one point, the dispatch operator says, "They think he might be Signal 7" -- which is code for a dead person.

Jim was a WWF superstar in the mid-'80s and early '90s as a member of The Hart Foundation tag team with Bret "The Hitman" Hart ... managed by Jimmy Hart.

During his legendary career, Jim was a 2-time Tag Team champion -- defeating everyone from the Legion of Doom to the Nasty Boys to The Rockers.

http://www.tmz.com/2018/08/13/jim-the-anvil-neidhart-dead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:32 pm 

cory1984 wrote:
JIM 'THE ANVIL' NEIDHART
DEAD AT 63
AFTER FALL AT HOME

Wrestling legend Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart has died, according to the WWE. He was 63.

Neidhart passed away early Monday morning after suffering a medical emergency at a home in Florida.

According to the emergency dispatch audio, emergency personnel were called around 6:30 AM about a man having seizures and convulsions.

At one point, the dispatch operator says, "They think he might be Signal 7" -- which is code for a dead person.

Jim was a WWF superstar in the mid-'80s and early '90s as a member of The Hart Foundation tag team with Bret "The Hitman" Hart ... managed by Jimmy Hart.

During his legendary career, Jim was a 2-time Tag Team champion -- defeating everyone from the Legion of Doom to the Nasty Boys to The Rockers.

http://www.tmz.com/2018/08/13/jim-the-anvil-neidhart-dead

One of the best tag teams ever. And Neihardt had a great laugh. RIP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:34 am 

Morgana King, Jazz Singer and Brando's Wife in 'The Godfather,' Dies at 87

Morgana King, the acclaimed jazz stylist who released dozens of albums but is perhaps best known for portraying the wife of Marlon Brando's Don Vito Corleone in the first two Godfather films, has died. She was 87.

King died March 22 of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma in Palm Springs, a representative from the Riverside County coroner’s office toldThe Washington Post. Her death had gone unreported until a friend, John Hoglund, wrote about her this week on Facebook.

King had a music breakthrough in 1964 with her operatic version of "A Taste of Honey," originally composed by Bobby Scott and also recorded by the likes of Herb Alpert and Billy Dee Williams. At the 1965 Grammys, she lost to The Beatles (who also performed "A Taste of Honey" early in their career) in the category of best new artist.

Her album debut for Mercury Records, 1955's Morgana King Sings the Blues, was a tribute to torch singer Helen Morgan. King also recorded three albums for Frank Sinatra's Reprise label, including 1965's It's a Quiet Thing, described as "an aching diary of loss" released after the death of her second husband, trombone player Willie Dennis, who was killed in a car crash.

King, who also had a hit with "Corcovado" ("Quiet Nights"), made a comeback with 1973's New Beginnings and recorded her final nine albums for Muse Records.

In Francis Ford Coppola's The Godfather (1972), King as Mama Carmela Corleone dances with Brando and sings "Luna mezz' 'o mare" during the opening wedding sequence. When she didn't want to be photographed in a coffin in the 1974 sequel, Coppola's mother, Italia, doubled for her.

Talking about her onscreen sons, King said that Carmela "really thinks Michael [Al Pacino] is going to come out of this whole situation to possibly run for the presidency; she thinks that's perfectly logical. Whereas Sonny [James Caan] is a good boy … she's probably been protecting him all his life against the hassles he's found to get involved with."

King said she got the part after a brief meeting — "just hello and goodbye" — with Coppola and producer Al Ruddy.

"I've been a singer for 26 years. I act when I sing," she said in a 1971 interview with United Press International. "So you could say I've been rehearsing for this part all my life. I read [Mario Puzo's] The Godfather two years ago and knew I had to be a part of it. I went to my hypnotist to program and condition myself for becoming a member of the cast. It worked!"

King also appeared in Brooklyn State of Mind (1998) with Danny Aiello and on the ABC soap opera All My Children.

With Sicilian roots, she was born Maria Grazia Messina de Berardinis on June 4, 1930, in Pleasantville, New York. Her father, who died when she was 11, had a job delivering coal and ice and played classical guitar and piano at home. She was raised in the Bronx and attended James Monroe High School.

King was performing in Greenwich Village by age 16. Her mother, she told The Washington Post in 1981, was "of that very old concept that to be in show business, you had to be a hard-nosed broad. When I was singing, she never came to see me in a nightclub because of the kinds of people she thought were out on the streets at night."

According to a 2016 JazzTimes article written by James Gavin, King was taken as a youngster to sing "Body and Soul' for Billie Holiday in her dressing room. Holiday then remarked, "You better all take care of this baby, 'cause that's my child."

King went on to perform in Las Vegas and around the country as well as on television on The Tonight Show, Playboy After Dark and The Hollywood Palace and on programs hosted by Andy Williams, Danny Kaye, Pat Boone, Dean Martin, Joey Bishop and Mike Douglas.

King's first marriage was to trumpeter Tony Fruscella. Their daughter, Graysan, died in 2008.

Rhett Bartlett contributed to this report.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:22 pm 

One of the top movies ever made, I generally watch it once a year...fuggedaboudit... :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:35 pm 

Eduard Uspenski, creator of Cheburashka:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xrr9mcdFvw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:18 am 

RIP sweet sweet re re.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:02 am 

:cry:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:14 am 

Rest in peace Aretha... :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:53 am 

Much R-E-S-P-E-C-T. RIP.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:10 am 

The angels got their choir director today...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:58 am 

Quote:
Hey Nineteen
That's 'Retha Franklin
She don't remember
The Queen of Soul

- Hey Nineteen - Steely Dan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6870 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 267, 268, 269, 270, 271, 272, 273 ... 275  Next