Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 660 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:00 am 

Side

Middle

Last edited by coevad on Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:04 am 

Spoiler Alert!!!!!

Todd's new Utopia guitar!
If you want to be surprised - do not view.

8)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:12 am 

Thanx for the pics! :)

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:41 am 

While the Utopia show is coming up quick, I'm also getting super-psyched about Toddstock. I thought it would be similar to the above quote where there would be campfire jams. And there will be. However, I just filled out a bunch of questionnaires about what instruments I play, fav songs etc... which makes it pretty clear that anyone who wants to jam on stage will get that opportunity.
Other than that, I"m gonna rent a car and put up a tent. I'll probably spend a day biking in the Blue Ridge Mountains. I'm not totally clear on what all the events are yet, but it's looking good.

*** I just found out that the Chicago show will be recorded for a DVD! Of course, I have tix for the Milwaukee show, so probably no way to go. Plus, the Chicago show is on a Tuesday. Argh.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:53 am 

I saw a new photo of Todd with the multi-colored SG. Good to know that he's using that guitar.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:55 am 

Oh no! Word has it that Todd is sick. His voice was almost gone in Ridgefield. Get well soon, Todd!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:44 am 

5/13/2018 review- The vocal harmonies were spot on in spite of Todd fighting some kind of bug.

They say that Todd and Kasim are very mobile on stage. Can't wait!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:07 pm 

Sorry, no review for the show yet. Been busy with a bunch o stuff...
But, when we met Todd, there was a lady in line who drew her hand back from Todd who reached to shake hands. She sorta whispered to ask if he was sick. He said he was feeling much better, and indeed sounded very good during the show. We had a blast! I'll try to get some pix together at some point.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:51 am 

Some summer " Unpredictable" Tour dates are up.

Starting in late July in Mass. and ending in Aug. in Tenn.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:11 am 

Utopia has made it to California!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:34 pm 

coevad wrote:
Utopia has made it to California!

Woo Hooo... 8)

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:23 pm 

Due to some personal commitments I’m unable to attend the show so I have bequeathed my VIP Meet & Greet first row seat to Plook. He’s under strict orders to bring me the VIP swag after the show though. I hope he doesn’t go AWOL on me. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:41 am 

KUIII wrote:
Due to some personal commitments I’m unable to attend the show so I have bequeathed my VIP Meet & Greet first row seat to Plook. He’s under strict orders to bring me the VIP swag after the show though. I hope he doesn’t go AWOL on me. :lol:

I'm a good soldier I follow orders well... :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:28 am 

Steve Vai: “Yeah! Got to meet one of my heroes last night at the Utopia concert. Todd Rundgren, the genius. What an honor, and what a great show.”

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:10 am 

KLOS DJ said that Todd Rundgren will appear on Jimmy Kimmel Live on Wed. June 6th.
It's got to be Utopia if it's the day after the last show of the tour.

Rock on, guys!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:13 am 

I'm chomping at the bit!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:40 am 

Rumour is that TR will be touring with Celebrating Bowie on a future tour.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:45 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Rumour is that TR will be touring with Celebrating Bowie on a future tour.

That would be worth seeing. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:54 pm 

The Seattle show last night was AMAZING! :shock:

I'm too tired right now, but I'll probably write a review tomorrow...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:45 pm 

I was seated 5th row, left centre orchestra, in front of Kasim.

The damn near entire show had stand-out performances. My favourites included: Utopia Theme, Another Life, Freedom Fighters, Back On The Street, Monument, Overture: Mountaintop & Sunrise / Communion With The Sun, Swing To The Right, Trapped, Hammer In My Heart, Love In Action (though, no simultaneous jumping leg kicks by Todd or Kasim, like they did at the front of the stage in Vancouver in 2016), Princess of the Universe, Rock Love (w/ Kasim playing a futuristic-shaped guitar), Love Is The Answer (which had everyone singing along) and the closer, Just One Victory.

They made almost no mistakes. And even though Todd's vocal range has diminished over the decades, he was in fine form. Apart from Foamy, he played several songs with a new abstract circular-shaped guitar. Kasim was so ON that I don't think he's lost any of his range. In fact, I think Kasim might have been the highlight of the show! And Willie ripped through the set, handling the prog-rock material, especially the tracks he didn't initially play on, with ease. And newbie, Gil Assayas, was rock solid the whole night. Of the pics I've now seen from this tour, it looks as though Kasim and Todd are wearing different costumes each night.

The LED screens were only used during the 1st set, w/ Willie's kit positioned stage left. For the 2nd set, they positioned his kit at the standard back centre of the stage.

It was simply one of the 10 best concerts I've ever seen. I can't wait for the Chicago-filmed DVD/2CD live release!!!

The show was 2 hours and 10 minutes long with a 20 minute intermission and there were no setlist changes, as stated before the start of the tour.

For merchandise, there were 4 t-shirts ($30 each), a hoodie ($65), a hat ($30), a signed tour programme ($50), and the new 7-disc box set ($100). I bought one of the shirts and the signed tour programme, despite its expensive price tag, because it's more like a mini-book, w/ more pages than most other programmes, as well as extensive text and historical information.

It took me FOREVER to get to Seattle, even though I left here around Noon. In fact, I only arrived 7 minutes before the show actually started. And, apart from breakfast and a few snacks, I wasn't able to eat anything until after the show. Unbelievable. Though, it was totally worth it.

The Moore Theatre holds 1,800 and there were about 1,300 in attendance. Demand is through the roof for this tour and is essentially 4x higher per market than their peak in the early '80s. And according to the tour programme interviews, if Willie can schedule time off from his day job, they will tour again...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:12 pm 

^^^I do hope they tour again. I am very disappointed I won’t get to see the show in Sacramento tomorrow night as some unplanned personal crap popped up to prevent me from going. Hopefully, next time.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:16 pm 

KUIII wrote:
^^^I do hope they tour again. I am very disappointed I won’t get to see the show in Sacramento tomorrow night as some unplanned personal crap popped up to prevent me from going. Hopefully, next time.

Shitty. Though, at least they're releasing a DVD/2CD live set, which should hopefully suffice for you...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:26 am 

a little something for the rundgrenites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=febFFwHhek8

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:27 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
KUIII wrote:

Shitty. Though, at least they're releasing a DVD/2CD live set, which should hopefully suffice for you...

Yes. Happy and grateful there will be that dvd/cd package.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:55 am 

lapsed maps wrote:
a little something for the rundgrenites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=febFFwHhek8

Thanks, lm.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 660 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next