Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 418 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:20 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:

I said the TRIP cost was several hundred dollars.

How much were the tix?
Disco Boy wrote:
Oh...and you're a fucking idiot.

Thanks.

Maybe that's why I can't appreciate Leftoverture. Actually, it's not that bad. I exaggerated. They actually seemed sincere about that shit, as ridiculous as it might seem. But, hey, I've been to Kansas. Growing boys need something to do. Why not play violin and annoy yer neighbors?

I make no such apologies for Styx. If you are one of the people who allowed them to continue making albums well into the 80s then you are a wicked and evil sadist.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:43 pm 

Downer, why must you be such an angry young man when your future looks quite bright to me?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:05 pm 

^ Hey, I'm not the sadist! But I do know the Styx song you're quoting. I've tried so hard to forget it. You bastard!

I was traumatized by Styx at an early age. My older sister had the LPs. She was too young to know any better. I guess my parents were not paying attention. I'm literally allergic to the song Babe.

Speaks for itself, I think...

`

Todd Rundgren was always cool.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:31 pm 

You gotta admit that the riff to Miss America was pretty cool though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:59 pm 

Around 1998 I was the co driver on an annual 24 hour non stop road trip from one end of the North Island to the other and back again. The in car entertainment system consisted of a cassette player with one old homemade Philips C90 low noise cassette of Styx, Styx II and some tracks off The Serpent is Rising.....As a result of that trip I can't bare to listen to Styx.....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:15 am 

Weird scene here now that Styx is on the table. They were from Chicago. I have sisters too and they loved Styx. I know many people who still today love Grand Illusion. It was recorded at the first studio I worked at, Paragon, in downtown Chicago, although that was many years before I worked there. REO Speedwagon recorded You Can Tune a Piano, but You Can't Tuna Fish there as well.

Unfortunately, Paragon was on a downward spiral at that time. Despite the owner, Marty Feldman, having a fun FZ story about the two of them talking on a long plane flight, I only worked there for a couple months before getting a better job.
Still, I too am damaged by Styx and that generation of, whatever it was, lets say Midwest Rock.
As for Kansas, I don't hate em, but I've never been a fan. I like TR's Dust in the Wind quite a bit more. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:37 am 

I saw Kansas in the mid seventies BOC headliner, Kansas, and Ted Nugent probably 76...Kansas was good we liked the whole show, I never saw Kansas again but as long as it's. Been a year between listening I can dig DITW....and what was up with Styx a d chick's holy crap I never got that... :?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:15 am 

What would Todd think?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:55 am 

Todd Rundgren On Technology, Creativity And His New Song With Trent Reznor
A Conversation With Todd Rundgren

http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2017/04/13/523561644/todd-rundgren-on-technology-creativity-and-his-new-song-with-trent-reznor?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nprmusic&utm_term=music&utm_content=20170413

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:44 pm 

I listened to a new track from 'White Knight' - "This Is Not A Drill" feat. Joe Satriani. Sounds like It would be a great live song.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:43 pm 

coevad wrote:
I listened to a new track from 'White Knight' - "This Is Not A Drill" feat. Joe Satriani. Sounds like It would be a great live song.

Just listened to it. Pretty good - 4 out of 5 stars. I've got a feeling this new album is going to be kind of spotty though. I heard the one with the female singer (Robyn?) and it's not something I normally would be interested in. I'm curious about the one with Donald Fagen though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:20 am 

coevad wrote:

Finally got tickets. It seems that the pavilion is just folding chairs tied together, so I figgered just get lawn tix.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:21 am 

KUIII wrote:
coevad wrote:

Just listened to it. Pretty good - 4 out of 5 stars. I've got a feeling this new album is going to be kind of spotty though. I heard the one with the female singer (Robyn?) and it's not something I normally would be interested in. I'm curious about the one with Donald Fagen though.

...and of course the ones where Kasim & Prairie are involved....if there is more than one.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:55 pm 

Gonna see the "Chivalrick" show tomorrow!

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:58 am 

Cool pic of the new duds. Can't tell if there's a band or not.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:18 pm 

coevad wrote:
Cool pic of the new duds. Can't tell if there's a band or not.

This is from the Global Tour TR, a DJ, and 2 Back-up singers/dancers...great show... :!:

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:26 pm 

Incorrect, Plookster. It's from the first show of the ChivalRock Tour. Here's the link from TRConnection.com - http://trconnection.com/gallery/set=wspears20170429

I guess this tour is similar to Global then. By the looks of the setlist it was.

Awaiting arkays review.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:51 pm 

coevad wrote:
Incorrect, Plookster. It's from the first show of the ChivalRock Tour. Here's the link from TRConnection.com - http://trconnection.com/gallery/set=wspears20170429

I guess this tour is similar to Global then. By the looks of the setlist it was.

Awaiting arkays review.

Same background singer and light panels he used two tours ago, he needs to get some new shit... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:41 am 

Plook wrote:
he needs to get some new shit

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:47 am 

I've known of the Genesee for many years, but this is my first time. Nice theater (in a crappy part of town).

There was a drawing for a poster. Of course, we didn't win. There was also a stand-up of TR in armor that you could have your picture taken with. I'm declining to share that particular pic though.

Where the Global tour had towers of lights, now we have 2 hanging sheets, although I'm sure "sheets" is the wrong word. This is how the stage was set pre-show.

That is one sheet behind TR and the background singers. Unlike the Global tour which had a DJ, on this tour we have a Band! Then, behind the band is another hanging sheet, so you get images behind images. Very cool.

The band, as one might hope, was Prairie Prince, Kasim Sultan, Jesse Gress and Greg Hawkes (Cars keyboardist). Felt a bit bad not seeing these guys much during the show...

Sometimes, they let the video take over. I don't know who the guy on the screen was, but he was the vocals.

Then there was a segment about the POTUS.

And just tons of cool imagery

So, after all that, my wife and I still heard people in the lobby complaining that they didn't like the show. Clearly, many people prefer TR's Greatest Hits showz and this definitely isn't that. The setlist below was from the St. Louis show, but last night was pretty much the same, if not identical. You have to get to Love Science to hear a song as far back as the early 90s and all the way to the encore to hear anything from early 80s, 70s or 60s. So, I get how casual listeners wouldn't be in love with this list, but I thought it was awesome and a treat for the hard-core who like the setlist shaken up at least a little bit.

Come
Truth
Evrybody
Rise
Look at Me
Sir Reality
Deaf Ears
Let's Do This
Buffalo Grass
Strike
Secret Society
This Is Not a Drill
Tin Foil Hat
Beginning (Of the End)
Love Science
Sweet
Party Liquor
Past
Chance for Us
No World Order 1.1
Buy My T
God Said

Encore:
One World
Hello It's Me
Just One Victory

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:59 am 

^Nice. Thanks for the review.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:20 pm 

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:37 pm 

Up until right this moment, I've been secretly in love with Liv

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:45 am 

coevad wrote:
^Nice. Thanks for the review.

Agreed. Looks like a great show. I get kind of tired of the whiners that complain about his set-lists. Todd always mixes it up and gives us a new show each time which keeps it interesting.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:47 am 

Cheers Arkay, looks like a great show, very very cool.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 418 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next