Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 615 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 25  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:02 pm 

Plook wrote:
Yet another Todd subject I can speak on, the picture is from the Utopia RA tour in which they played the album in its entirety along with some other Todd and Utopia songs, the set included a Sphinx and a metal Pyramid frame with steps (this can be seen on the cover of Ooops Wrong Planet).

We saw them in either the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium or the San Bernardino Auditorium I can' remember for sure and I would say '75 or '76.

The climax of the show was Singring and the Glass Guitar which culminated with Todd climbing the pyramid and retrieving the Glass Guitar and doing a series of summer salts off the very high pyramid using guide wires as they do now in acts such as Circus Soleil, this is something we had never seen before and blew our minds.

The guitar and outfit in the picture is from that tour and he played that guitar for most of the show...that's all I can remember at this time... :smoke:

Footage of Todd climbing the pyramid can be seen in that documentary I referenced above. That looked like an incredibly risky bit of stage craft even if he was attached to wires.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:56 am 

what you couldn't/didn't see in the video:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:06 am 

^^Yes, Yes, that’s it! But what your photo doesn’t show is the giant explosion that happens right after this part. :idea:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:19 am 

oh yeah, this thing?

i've been sitting on this unseen/cleaned up footage for 42 years now.

HAPPY NEW YEAR GUYS!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:40 am 

Oh, thanks! My old bootleg VHS copy has been almost unwatchable for decades. I also remember the agony and pain of sitting in the front row. It was worse than being at a GWAR concert and Gallagher concert combined.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:54 am 

hey, no problem k.
2018 IS THE YEAR FOR GIVING!

note to self:

GWALLAGHER

make that happen!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:15 pm 

Didn’t know the best place to post this, but since it seems a lot of Todd fans are also XTC fans I choose here.

There’s a really good XTC documentary on Showtime called XTC: This is Pop. Not sure if it’s available elsewhere but definitely worth seeking out if you are a fan.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:30 am 

KUIII wrote:
Didn’t know the best place to post this, but since it seems a lot of Todd fans are also XTC fans I choose here.

There’s a really good XTC documentary on Showtime called XTC: This is Pop. Not sure if it’s available elsewhere but definitely worth seeking out if you are a fan.

I watched this last night and it was excellent great job want to watch again!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:43 pm 

Todd's playing the Rock Legends Cruise in a couple of weeks. It's sold out. Probably because of BOC and Paul Rogers... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:22 pm 

coevad wrote:
Todd's playing the Rock Legends Cruise in a couple of weeks. It's sold out. Probably because of BOC and Paul Rogers... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

or Quiet Riot. :shock: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:59 pm 

Pat Travers too. I saw PT open for Scorpions once. He Rocked!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:12 pm 

coevad wrote:

I was pretty heavily into PT around the time of Crash and Burn, etc. and saw him on a bill once with BOC and Cheap Trick. He did indeed rock.

I was kidding about Quiet Riot, btw. I could quite do without seeing them, especially whatever version they are rolling out today.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:22 pm 

KUIII wrote:
coevad wrote:

I was pretty heavily into PT around the time of Crash and Burn, etc. and saw him on a bill once with BOC and Cheap Trick. He did indeed rock.

I was kidding about Quiet Riot, btw. I could quite do without seeing them, especially whatever version they are rolling out today.

I saw Rudy Sarzo playing bass for an oldies review at a local festival last summer. At least he's workin!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:36 am 

workin < ROCKIN'!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:17 am 

KUIII wrote:
coevad wrote:

C'mon KU, feel the noise!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:32 pm 

...and get wild, wild, wild? :P

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:59 pm 

I saw an announcement on www.imwan.com about a new cd box set of all the Todd Rundgren’s Utopia/Utopia albums from 1974-1982 and said it was in celebration of a 2018 reunion tour by Utopia. I did a search for the tour but couldn’t find anything. Anyway, it will be great if it happens and I was hoping for this box to fill in a big gap in my music collection rebuild (a cd box with all of the Todd solo Bearsville albums has already been released).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:31 pm 

KUIII wrote:
I saw an announcement on http://www.imwan.com about a new cd box set of all the Todd Rundgren’s Utopia/Utopia albums from 1974-1982 and said it was in celebration of a 2018 reunion tour by Utopia. I did a search for the tour but couldn’t find anything. Anyway, it will be great if it happens and I was hoping for this box to fill in a big gap in my music collection rebuild (a cd box with all of the Todd solo Bearsville albums has already been released).

Now that is big doins if it's true, I thought TR was unable to work with Willie Wilcox because of some differences and I haven't heard anything of Roger Powell for some time...but I would still be totally hopeful they could pull it off, tightest band as far as keeping live versions with in a second or two of original recorded versions... :idea:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:44 pm 

KUIII wrote:
I saw an announcement on http://www.imwan.com about a new cd box set of all the Todd Rundgren’s Utopia/Utopia albums from 1974-1982 and said it was in celebration of a 2018 reunion tour by Utopia. I did a search for the tour but couldn’t find anything. Anyway, it will be great if it happens and I was hoping for this box to fill in a big gap in my music collection rebuild (a cd box with all of the Todd solo Bearsville albums has already been released).

Absolutely amazing, if true!

In fact, since this info is on Amazon's site (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079PTC3GS/?tag=imwan-20), it's probably legit. And if you go to Todd's facebook page, it's states, "PLEASE STAND BY." If this tour is supposedly going to start in April, then it will probably be announced tomorrow (most tours are announced on Tuesdays). I'll probably travel to see this if they don't play here...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:51 am 

It’s true! For me it’s Monday, June 4th at the Crest Theater in Sacramento. Fan club presale starts today. It’s Todd, Kaz, Willie, and Ralph Schuckett (instead of Roger). It’ll be a busy week for me as I was already going to see Ian Anderson on June 6 and thinking about Brian Setzer on June 3. Brian’s also at the Crest and Ian is at the Community Center Theater which is about a block and a half away.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:49 am 

I'm definitely going, though I can't get into the VIP sale. I'll get tix on Thursday at the regular sale. I have vague memories of seeing TR many years ago w/ Roger, but not Willie, so that'll be a first.
Since Ralph Schuckett will be playing, I'm hoping against hope that they will perform "Good Times Were Better", which I've only heard on a Radio City Music Hall boot from 10/20/74. RS sings on that one, though I don't know if he wrote it.

Edit!
Thanx to KUIII for the code! I got 2nd row for a Sat show at The Pabst (my fav local venue!)!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:14 am 

Got my tickets row 5 seat 1 & 2 H-dog is going... 8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:45 pm 

Alright, Utopia!

SoCal gets two shows in LA and Riverside. Too bad they're both on Tuesdays.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:00 pm 

coevad wrote:
Alright, Utopia!

SoCal gets two shows in LA and Riverside. Too bad they're both on Tuesdays.

Our show is on a Monday. No whining allowed. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:46 pm 

I just scored 5th row left centre orchestra for the Seattle show on June 1! Fuck yeah! And I booked a pretty decent hotel too! :twisted:

And in case anyone hasn't seen it yet, here's a cool 18+ minute interview with Utopia w/ the reunion tour announcement...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e3Wrps2zr0

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 615 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 25  Next