Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:19 pm 

Its was great... :!:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:28 pm 

^^^ Good to hear!

KUIII wrote:
It’s looks like Todd is going to have his own complete Roxy shows album. No track listing or anything yet but it’s to be called:

“All Sides of the Roxy: May 1978”

A three cd set to be released 2/23/18.

I assume it’s all the shows that made up the “Back to the Bars” album.

The answer to that question...

Esoteric Recordings is pleased to announce the latest release in the Todd Rundgren Archive series, "ALL SIDES OF THE ROXY 1978". In May 1978 Todd Rundgren performed a series of concerts at The Roxy Theater in West Hollywood, California with a band comprising members of The Hello People (Bobby Sedita, Larry Tasse, Greg Geddes & Norman Smart) along with keyboard player Moogy Klingman, bassist John Seigler and drummer John "Willie" Wilcox. This three disc clamshell boxed set includes the entire set from the 23rd May concert over two discs, along with a third disc comprising other soundboard recordings made by Todd during his residence of shows at The Roxy. This release also features an illustrated booklet and is a welcome addition to Esoteric Recordings' Todd Rundgren Archive series.

https://www.amazon.com/All-Sides-Roxy-May-1978/dp/B07895ZX2V/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513972083&sr=8-1&keywords=Sides+Roxy%3A+May

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:50 pm 

I’m surprised there is no mention of special guests. Didn’t Stevie Nicks, Hall & Oates, Rick Derringer, etc. participate in some of these shows?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:19 pm 

KUIII wrote:
I’m surprised there is no mention of special guests. Didn’t Stevie Nicks, Hall & Oates, Rick Derringer, etc. participate in some of these shows?

I think everyone sings on Hello, It's Me from Back to the Bars.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:30 pm 

coevad wrote:
KUIII wrote:

And what is the verdict when Stevie Nicks, Hall and Oates and Rick Derringer sing Hello It's Me? I mean, wouldn't the average Zappa fan be cringing during that particular segment? The big hit with the "All-Star" sing along? They should have done a medley with Rhiannon/R&R Hoochie Coo/She's Gone.

Actually, make that She's Gone/Dreams/R&R Hoochie Coo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:36 pm 

Not all Zappa fans are cynical assholes. :idea:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:42 pm 

^I can vouch for that. I love Zappa and I'm not a cynical asshole.

Unless thinking a sing along of Hello It's Me with Stevie Nicks and Hall and Oates borders on condescending pandering makes a person an asshole.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:47 pm 

I just think that stereotyping Zappa fans is a really bad idea.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:57 pm 

Well, off to the show. I’m not counting on it but if Stevie Nicks shows up for Hello, It’s Me I will consider it a plus. :P

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:24 am 

KUIII wrote:
I just think that stereotyping Zappa fans is a really bad idea.

I can't believe a Zappa fan would say that! :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:42 am 

Image have you ever ordered from barfko swill?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:22 pm 

For those interested, there’s an excellent multi-part Todd documentary on YouTube by a guy named Jason Stuart Kamasz. It’s unofficial but compiles video and audio from throughout his career to create a pretty good chronological history.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:19 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
coevad wrote:
KUIII wrote:

And what is the verdict when Stevie Nicks, Hall and Oates and Rick Derringer sing Hello It's Me? I mean, wouldn't the average Zappa fan be cringing during that particular segment? The big hit with the "All-Star" sing along? They should have done a medley with Rhiannon/R&R Hoochie Coo/She's Gone.

Actually, make that She's Gone/Dreams/R&R Hoochie Coo

This is a subject I can speak to, as I have retold probably many times before my first date with Terri was Todd Rundgren at the Roxy on what was going to be the last night of a 5 night stand (they added the extra night at some point just before or during the string of shows).

It just so happens the night we went Tuesday May 22 1978 (there may have been late & early shows I do not remember) our show a special performance made up a large segment of the album. I know this because of the dialogue with the audience and myself and my friend Frank can be heard during the recordings...in fact Frank was the "Hoot of recognition" Todd mentions & I shouted out "get down Todd" which drew a laugh from the crowd.

During this show someone opened a bottle of champagne and gave it to Todd who took a drink and proceeded to pass it around the bottle ended at our table and Frank got the last drink so we kept it.

Frank and I decided to go to the added show and brought our buddies Jeff & Robert expecting to buy tickets there...when we arrived there were none to be had, we were bummed because we created a very spiritual Todd oriented note with drawings that we put in the champagne bottle to give to Todd.

We were going to leave but decided to hang around the side door entree in hopes of giving Todd the bottle with the note...we did see a lot of musicians enter that were not in the band and knew something was up.

Slight off ramp - during the show we saw Todd explained what video was and how this technology would change everything about how we watched and consumed music, movies, and media in general (like Frank Todd is a tech hound), then they showed a video of "All the Children Sing" from The Hermit of Mink Hollow" album...we were amazed.

That takes us back to the added show and the entrance in the alley where amazingly we were pretty much the only people hanging out, well there parked near the door is a panel box delivery like truck and inside is a guy operating all kinds of equipment with cables going into the venue through a window.

Being some curious dudes we started chatting with the guy and he explained that Todd had been using his video equipment to record the shows and that if we wanted to hang out we could watch the show on his TV like monitor...which we did and yes all the special guests performed that night on "Hello it's Me" and that version made the album...the guest were I believe Hall & Oats, Stevie Nicks, Spencer Davies, Rick Derringer, and Kasim Sultan.

Well we stayed around after the show a limo pulls up and the window rolls down and there is Todd and we gave him the bottle with the note inside, also in the limo was Stevie Nicks Kasim Sultan, Hall & Qats, and some others we didn't identify, but maybe Todd's dancer girlfriend who performed a ballet like dance during "Can we Still be Friends" during our show the night before, I do not remember if she also performed during the show we watched on the monitor.

That's all I got to say about that but will attempt to answer any questions anyone may have...and yes Downer the gang bang of "Hello its Me" was significantly poorer version than what we saw the night before...by the way the Hello people his back up singers whom also played some instruments were phenomenal and the talk of everyone who saw those shows especially our exceptional show and I say that because it makes up most of the non Utopia music on the album.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:27 pm 

Plook wrote:
the gang bang of "Hello its Me" was significantly poorer version than what we saw the night before.

KUIII, please note.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:26 am 

Plook wrote:
will attempt to answer any questions anyone may have

what makes up a very spiritual todd oriented note?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:33 pm 

lapsed maps wrote:
Plook wrote:

It consists of pyramidal & Taoist type drawings, reference's to Lao Tzu & Zen quotes, and a message of doing good acts... :idea:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:10 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Plook wrote:
the gang bang of "Hello its Me" was significantly poorer version than what we saw the night before.

KUIII, please note.

One fan’s opinion, but not really the point. The average Zappa fan be damned! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:16 pm 

Plook wrote:
lapsed maps wrote:
Plook wrote:

It consists of pyramidal & Taoist type drawings, reference's to Lao Tzu & Zen quotes, and a message of doing good acts... :idea:

It’s been rumored that an inspirational message from a fan drew Todd out of a depression at about this time encouraging him to continue his career in music. He had seriously been doubting his mission in life and had actually completed an application with the Wal Mart corporation as a greeter. Welcome to the Zen Machine!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:33 pm 

lapsed maps wrote:

I was gonna say C#.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:42 am 

ah yes, also known as the brown note.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:31 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
lapsed maps wrote:

I was gonna say C#.

Isn't it also eyes all shut in an ecstasy face?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:53 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:
lapsed maps wrote:

I was gonna say C#.

Isn't it also eyes all shut in an ecstasy face?

Absolutely! At least I think so.

Great shot. Cool axe.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:19 am 

Yet another Todd subject I can speak on, the picture is from the Utopia RA tour in which they played the album in its entirety along with some other Todd and Utopia songs, the set included a Sphinx and a metal Pyramid frame with steps (this can be seen on the cover of Ooops Wrong Planet).

We saw them in either the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium or the San Bernardino Auditorium I can' remember for sure and I would say '75 or '76.

The climax of the show was Singring and the Glass Guitar which culminated with Todd climbing the pyramid and retrieving the Glass Guitar and doing a series of summer salts off the very high pyramid using guide wires as they do now in acts such as Circus Soleil, this is something we had never seen before and blew our minds.

The guitar and outfit in the picture is from that tour and he played that guitar for most of the show...that's all I can remember at this time... :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:04 pm 

Todd played an unpredictable show last night in Santa Clarita.

Soul Brother and Cliche' were in the list. Lots of covers too.

Plook. I think the Oops/ RA tour was 76 & 77.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:59 pm 

coevad wrote:
Todd played an unpredictable show last night in Santa Clarita.

Soul Brother and Cliche' were in the list. Lots of covers too.

Plook. I think the Oops/ RA tour was 76 & 77.

Dates are getting tougher, thank god for AG... :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next