Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:27 am 

Zappa seems to have had either a bad memory or a selective memory.<br><br>Obviously his memory was near photographic when it came to his music, business, etc. however, I rememer someone pointing out (in another forum recently) that Frank said he didn't know anything about Santana and/or had never heard him...yet he did the mystery chord song.<br><br>When interviewed, he seems to know nothing about many of the most famous other musicians.<br><br>I think, to a certain extent, Frank was in his own world and wanted to pretend that he had no modern influences and or true friends in the music industry.<br><br>I'll bet he was there before he was "hot shit" and would prefer not to admit to having been there.<br><br>Or else I'm full of shit...which is possible also.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:10 am 

Image<br><br>What a line-up, wish I had been born yet...<br><br>The BYG / Actuel label is pretty notorious for ripping off all the musicians on their roster, I'd guess if the Floyd gig was recorded professionally, they would have issued it on bootlegs a long time ago.<br><br>Are there any recordings of FZ jamming with some of the other acts?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:45 am 

[quote author=mysterioso link=board=legends;num=1072218376;start=45#52 date=11/29/05 at 20:41:19]<br>fz says he never heard santana play on that occasion, in cologne. [/quote]<br><br><br>Interviewer: Carlos Santana?<br>Zappa: Never heard the guy play.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:06 am 

[quote author=scallop link=board=legends;num=1072218376;start=45#53 date=11/29/05 at 23:30:33]<br>Can anyone identify Frank's guitar? I know nothing, but someone must be able to (though black and white might make it tough).[/quote]<br><br>Looks like a Telecaster to me, pretty hard to tell though.<br>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:14 am 

[quote author=Studebaker link=board=legends;num=1072218376;start=45#55 date=11/30/05 at 07:06:52]<br><br>Looks like a Telecaster to me, pretty hard to tell though.<br>[/quote]<br>Good call. Tele gets my vote too (because of the volume and tone knobs). That's kind of a rare treat - Frank playing a tele. I can't think of any recordings he's done that sounded like he was using a tele. <br>

Post subject: Re: frank with santana
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:43 pm 

[quote author=mysterioso link=board=legends;num=1072218376;start=45#57 date=11/30/05 at 20:32:54]it's also noteworthy that zappa says he doesn't know anything about keith richard...[/quote]<br><br>By noteworthy, you mean how Frank managed to remain oblivious to The Rolling Stones even as late as 1984? Yes, that is quite amazing.<br>

Post subject: Re: frank on RS
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:01 pm 

[quote author=swiftkicknow link=board=legends;num=1072218376;start=45#58 date=11/30/05 at 21:43:20]<br><br>By noteworthy, you mean how Frank managed to remain oblivious to The Rolling Stones even as late as 1984? Yes, that is quite amazing.<br>[/quote]<br><br>some folks are still oblivious to them <br>myself included  ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:15 pm 

[quote author=scallop link=board=legends;num=1072218376;start=45#53 date=11/29/05 at 23:30:33]...Can anyone identify Frank's guitar...[/quote]<br>looks like a six-string with 2 knobs...probably volume & tone<br>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:54 pm 

Looks like an SG to me. The headstocks a dead give away. He played an SG at this time so it could be real.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:02 am 

[quote author=FROWNLAND link=board=legends;num=1072218376;start=60#61 date=11/30/05 at 23:54:13]Looks like an SG to me. The headstocks a dead give away. He played an SG at this time so it could be real.[/quote]<br><br>All SGs have four knobs (tone and volume), unless it's some sort of custom job. I'm not sure, but I thought FZ was still mostly using a Gibson ES5 Switchmaster and a Goldtop Les Paul in '69. <br><br>Maybe he was playing David Gilmour's guitar in the picture (although DG mostly used Stratocasters, Syd Barrett used to play a Tele, though...)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:20 am 

[quote author=FROWNLAND link=board=legends;num=1072218376;start=60#61 date=11/30/05 at 23:54:13]Looks like an SG to me. The headstocks a dead give away. He played an SG at this time so it could be real.[/quote]<br>Not only are the tone/volume knobs wrong for an SG, but how do you explain that the tuning keys are all on the top side of the head stock and not staggered 3x3 as SG's are?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:56 pm 

OK, I haven't read the entire thread (only the first page so far), but how can you tell that it is Pink Floyd he is jamming with? The only faces you can clearly see are Frank's and Nick's. And I guess I'm not too terribly familiar with Nick's face, but it isn't even a 100% convincing image of Nick. And even if it is Nick, does that necessarily mean that the other people jamming are Pink Floyd? <br>That picture is, in no way, compelling photographic evidence that Frank jammed with Pink Floyd.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:55 am 

[quote author=Bukkake link=board=legends;num=1072218376;start=60#64 date=12/04/05 at 01:56:51]OK, I haven't read the entire thread (only the first page so far), but how can you tell that it is Pink Floyd he is jamming with? The only faces you can clearly see are Frank's and Nick's. And I guess I'm not too terribly familiar with Nick's face, but it isn't even a 100% convincing image of Nick. And even if it is Nick, does that necessarily mean that the other people jamming are Pink Floyd? <br>That picture is, in no way, compelling photographic evidence that Frank jammed with Pink Floyd. [/quote]<br><br>Image<br><br>Nick Mason said the show took place, to be honest i find it hard to believe that people would create flyers and doctor pictures to fool people into believing they played together. If they didn't though, i don't really care anyway. I've heard the supposed concert and the quality of it was shite<br>

Solipsism Facebook
Juno Records Vinyl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:03 am 

Excuse my dead set stupidity but I didnt even take notice of the date on the thread (1969) and for some reason assumed it was from 1974  ::) <br>I still dont see all the pegs on the upside...only like 2 ???

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:41 am 

[quote author=Bukkake link=board=legends;num=1072218376;start=60#64 date=12/04/05 at 01:56:51]OK, I haven't read the entire thread (only the first page so far), but how can you tell that it is Pink Floyd he is jamming with? The only faces you can clearly see are Frank's and Nick's. And I guess I'm not too terribly familiar with Nick's face, but it isn't even a 100% convincing image of Nick.. [/quote]<br><br>The bass player's posture looks a whole lot like Roger Waters as well, if you compare it with vintage Pink Floyd pictures and video from the late 60s/early 70s (like the 'Live at Pompeii' DVD): he plays with a pick behind the pickup shielding of the bass. I'm pretty sure it's them alright.<br>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:08 pm 

Studebaker wrote:
The bass player's posture looks a whole lot like Roger Waters as well, if you compare it with vintage Pink Floyd pictures and video from the late 60s/early 70s (like the 'Live at Pompeii' DVD): he plays with a pick behind the pickup shielding of the bass. I'm pretty sure it's them alright.

You see, that's how gullible I am, I looked at that pic and I saw Nick Mason and Roger Waters straight off the bat. It didn't occur to me in the slightest that it might be anyone else. Even with doubt cast on it though it still looks like them to me. Because of the nature of the post in this thread I was looking for discrepancies in the Zappa part of the pic. That silk shirt and flares look like a getup that David Gilmour might have worn but it seems to me there's just too much other corroborating evidence to think that the picture isn't genuine or that he didn't jam with them.

BTW, I just rescanned the thread really quickly to see if the source of the pic was mentioned and I can't find anything, but where did the pic come from?

Last edited by polydigm on Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:16 pm 

Looking at the evidence here it looks like FZ did.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:50 am 

I've got 2 photos wich can proof it's true but I don't know how to insert them !<br>Argllll !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:09 am 

Hiya bigbird, I'd be curious to see those.<br><br>If you have digital pictures you want to upload, you can do it here: http://www.xs.to <br><br>To post them on the forum, use the [img ] tags, like this:<br><br>
Code:
[img]http://www.mydomainname.com/picturename.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:45 am 

The guitar does look like a Tele, but the paint kinda looks like a sunburst to me. Maybe it's just because the way the light is.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:22 pm 

Hi again from France. Yes I know, big ones but what the fuck ? I've some problems with computers ;D<br>Image<br>Image <br><br>Those photos are from a french photograph Philippe Thyière who released a beautifull book about FZ french tours. You can see it here : http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/2 ... 26-0411457<br>Yes a little bit expensive BUT very great photos in big format.<br>And a lot of Amougies fest photos. He says that he remember perfectly the jam between FZ and PF. They played Interstellar overdrive and another one. He says that FZ jammed with others groups too.<br>Sorry for my bad english... I'm french ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next