Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:57 am 

[quote author=TheCentralScrutinizer link=board=legends;num=1072218376;start=15#28 date=09/08/04 at 03:32:14]<br>fucking real good lookalikes then, no offence but i think your theory is full of shit  ;D[/quote]<br><br><br>Hmn. Admit you believed it for a second! (Even I did!)<br><br>and no offence taken ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:43 am 

[quote author=Val link=board=legends;num=1072218376;start=30#30 date=09/08/04 at 06:57:10]<br><br><br>Hmn. Admit you believed it for a second! (Even I did!)<br><br>and no offence taken ;)[/quote]<br>ok you had me thinking for a moment  :o

Solipsism Facebook
Juno Records Vinyl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:09 pm 

Who knows what would have happened in a different setting?<br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:04 am 

this was included with a 12 minute mp3 of the amougies festival i just got from soulseek<br><br>Music Power<br>Actuel Festival, October 25th, 1969<br>Mont de I'Enclus in Amougies, Belgium<br>filmed by Jerome Laperrousaz<br><br><br>     From: Mikael Agardsson (mikael.agardsson[at]swipnet.se)<br>     From the book "Viva Zappa" by Dominique Chevalier:<br>"1969. MUSIC POWER. A film by Jerome Laperrousaz, showing the festival<br>at Amougies, October 1969. Zappa, the presenter, jams with Pink Floyd,<br>Aynsley Dunbar and Archie Shepp".<br><br>     From: Cle4d (cle4d[at]aol.com)<br>Capt Beefheart was there. FZ introduces him to the crowd.<br><br>     From: Patrick Neve (splat[at]darkwing.uoregon.edu)<br>Some of this Beefheart footage is inlcuded as enhanced video on the new<br>Beefheart box set Grow Fins, on Revenant Records.<br><br>     From: Nik Lowenberg (Lowenberg-DeBoer[at]worldnet.att.net)<br>FZ and PF jammed on Interstellar Overdrive on 10/25/69 at the Actuel<br>Festival in Belgium.  Last I heard a private collector had the film of it<br>but wouldn't release it.  I think the audio is out there...has anyone heard<br>it?   <br><br>There was no show on 11/17/69.  10/25/69 is the correct date.  The Actuel<br>Festival was held at Mont de I'Enclus in Amougies, Belgium.  It was going<br>to be the first ever rock festival in France, but the promoters couldn't<br>get a licence, so they tried another place in France and then finally ended<br>up in Belgium.<br><br>Um...yeah, there is a film.  Two documentaries were made of the festival<br>and one called Music Power featured Pink Floyd and it went on the French<br>cinema circiut in June '70.  It is highly probable that the jam was filmed<br>as it was played in the middle of the set (as opposed to an encore or at<br>a different time all together).  Now, I haven't seen the film and the jam<br>may not be in it.  It could be on the editing room's floor. But I read<br>somewhere else that a private collector had it.<br><br>This was found on a Gong website, and mentions that FZ hosted the festival.<br>"Shortly after the album was recorded, Karakos set up the infamous Amougies<br>Festival, originally scheduled for Paris but, after a court order, hastily<br>reconvened just over the Belgian border. An amazing affair, the acts<br>included Beefheart, The Soft Machine, Blossom Toes, Caravan etc. etc., the<br>whole thing hosted by Frank Zappa."<br><br>     From: Stephen Williams (swill[at]webtv.net)<br>I saw this movie in Montreal this past summer. There is some Pink Floyd<br>footage, also FZ and some CB but no Intersteller Overdrive. Boy what a<br>shitty movie, like woodstock on that brown acid! Zappa introduces the<br>Captain, and plays a little guitar with an other band. PF plays a couple<br>of songs, maybe Eugene and I forget the other one. I had read about the<br>FZ/PF jam, and was dissapointed that it was not in the film. Boy what a<br>horrible film!  Steve<br><br>     From: Craig (good_king_zog[at]msn.com.au)<br>There has been a photograph published in the 1970's, that was re-printed in<br>one of the Society Pages (USA) fanzines that shows FZ on stage with Pink<br>Floyd at Amougies.  I believe Dominique Chevalier forwarded it on to Den &<br>Rob to help clear up the matter, after FZ stated in one of his interviews<br>with Society Pages that he didn't play with the Floyd.  Sorry but I don't<br>remember which edition of SP it was in.<br><br>     From: Biffy the Elephant Shrew (biffyshrew[at]aol.communists)<br>In Society Pages USA #2, Zappa stated unequivocally that he did not play<br>onstage with Pink Floyd.  Then two issues later, they turned up a photo of<br>the jam, showing FZ ca. 1969 onstage with a guy who is identifiably Nick<br>Mason and another guy with a P-Bass whose face isn't visible but whose<br>hunched posture is that of Roger Waters...<br><br>     From: Johan Lif (johan.lif[at]swipnet.se)<br>An interview with PF drummer Nick Mason mentions this Amougies jam with<br>Zappa; I remember him saying something to the effect that "very few<br>people have the right personality to play with us", but what Zappa did<br>was "terribly right".<br><br>     From: Mother! by Michael Gray (p. 119)<br>He rushed off to the Festival D'amougies in Belgium and played there on<br>stage with the Pink Floyd.  And he brought Beefheart with him.  The festival<br>was filmed by one Jerome Laperrousaz, and the film was to be called Music<br>Power.  It never came out.<br><br>     From: Denis Griffin (dgriffin[at]videotron.ca)<br>I have the picture that is mentioned in the article "Music Power". It's<br>in the book "Frank Zappa et les Mothers of Invention" by Alain Dister,<br>it's a French book.<br><br>     From: whatever (philippe[at]roios.org) <br>I am a Pink Floyd collector and I have been desperately seeking <br>the famous Amougies tape where Zappa and Floyd performed together. <br>Does such a tape exist or am I just running in circles here?<br> <br>     From: "Bossk (R)" (wikberg[at]mbox301.swipnet.se)<br>Quite recently, such a tape has allegedly started to circulate a little in<br>Floyd circles, as a "rare trade only".<br>(I heard about this in Japan; but I don't know if the tape itself is in<br>Japan or where it is, or who has it exactly.)<br><br>     From: Patrick Boie (patboie[at]earthlink.net)<br>apparently the recording in question is an audience recording; and<br>there seem to be TWO... one recording by a zappa fan, and a complete<br>floyd set taped by a floyd fan. pieces of the floyd's set are fairly<br>common, but not the fz/pf jam on 'interstellar overdrive'.<br>ponder this neat little factoid: this was frank's first live<br>performance after recording 'hot rats'...<br><br>  

Solipsism Facebook
Juno Records Vinyl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:06 am 

this is the next part<br><br>   From: Charles Ulrich (ulrich[at]sfu.ca)<br>There is a tape in circulation that is wrongly identified as being Pink<br>Floyd with FZ at Amougies. This tape consists of Interstellar Overdrive,<br>introduced as something they'd been playing since they were teenagers.<br>But it doesn't feature FZ and it's not from Amougies. I believe it's<br>actually from 5/1/70 Santa Monica.  I don't know if the item Johan refers <br>to above is legitimate, or if it's the same mislabeled tape resurfacing.<br><br>     From: "Bossk (R)" (wikberg[at]mbox301.swipnet.se)<br>I'm not talking about an "Interstellar Overdrive" only tape, but a more<br>complete set, alleged to have recently surfaced.<br><br>     From: Alain TAMBURINI (maximt[at]wanadoo.fr)<br>I was a teenager in 1968 and I remember that some parts of this<br>festival were broadcasted "live" directly from site at the French<br>radio broadcast "Europe 1" ( LW waves )<br> I was listening that at the time and I have recorded almost 1 hour<br>about the festival especially a zappa-pinkfloyd jam session.<br>I remember the studio "presenter" ( may be Pierre Lates ??)<br>said "Oh! ça c'est zappa" ( "Oh!  that it is zappa" ) at  the beginning<br>of a pink floyd piece.<br> Unfortunately I sold all my tapes ( + recorder ) 15 years ago<br>and I lost all traces of  that.. but I suppose there are archives<br>somewhere on " Europe 1" radio ( Still alive !!!)<br> Alain<br><br><br><br><br>(special thanks to Denis Griffin (dgriffin[at]videotron.ca) for the pic.) <br><br><br><br>     From: hans (hhf[at]xs4all.nl)<br>Looks like Zappa is in that picture twice, as a guitarist and drummer, had<br>to search for Pink Floyd photo's to convince myself the drummer is Nick<br>Mason.  Btw Patrick the picture is on page 80 of the mentioned book and <br>taken by Christian Rose.<br>The text about that festival on  p. 79:<br>Rendu a sa solitude, Zappa se consacre a quelques vieux projects, prepare<br>ses films, travaille sa musique dans d'autres directions, fait du tourisme.<br>On le voit au festival d'Amougies, en octobre 1969, ou il se rend a titre<br>personnel, invite par Pieree Lattes. Il y fera le boef avec presque tous les<br>groupes du programme, en particulier le Pink Floyd, le Blossom Toes, Archie<br>Shepp et Aynsley Dunbar, en qui il decourvre un fabuleux batteur qu'il ne<br>tardera pas a embaucher. Il presente son ami Captain Beefheart, et maintient<br>tout au long de ces trois nuits, quel que soil le froid ou l'heure tardive,<br>une presence qui est un stimulant puissant pour tous les musiciens presents.<br> <br>sorry, my french is not that good, so I hope someone who knows to,<br>translates this.<br><br>     From: Denis Griffin (dgriffin[at]videotron.ca)<br>Ok, here we go:<br>Now on his own, Zappa takes time to work on some old projects and<br>movies. Does a bit of tourism. He is invited by Pierre Lattès to the<br>Amougies Festival. He plays with almost everybody, especially with Pink<br>Floyd, Blossom Toes, Archie Shepp and Aynsley Dunbar, a fabulous drummer<br>he will hire shortly thereafter. He introduces his friend Captain<br>Beefheart, and he maintains during the three nights, regardless of the<br>cold weather and late time, a presence that provides a powerful<br>stimulant to all the other musicians.<br> <br>In the same book on page 177:<br> <br>Filmographie<br> <br>1969:  Lors du festival d'Amougies, Jérôme Laperrousaz toune un film<br>documentaire, Music Power, dans lequel on voit Zappa jouer avec Archie<br>Shepp, Captain Beefheart, Pink Floyd...malheureusement retenu par des<br>raisons de droits<br> <br>Filmography<br> <br>1969:   During the Amougies festival, Jérôme Laperrousaz made a<br>documentary movie, Music Power, in which Zappa can be seen playing with<br>Archie Shepp, Captain Beefheart, Pink Floyd...unfortunately never<br>released because of copyrights.<br> <br>From: Frank Zappa et les Mothers of Invention, by Alain Dister<br><br>Yes Zappa DID jam with the Floyd at that concert.......Nick Mason in a typically English manner described Frank's contribution as "terribly correct" and implied Zappa was one of the few if not the only person capable of "jamming" with them<br><br>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br><br><br>More info on this concert:<br>http://www.beefheart.de/perf69b.html#691029Amougies<br><br>     From: Denis Griffin (dgriffin[at]videotron.ca)<br>I did a bit of research on the net about the Amougies Festival. I found<br>bits and pieces of information that more or less resembles to what we<br>already know. The only thing that contains new information is here:<br>(once on the page just use the "find in page" function using the word<br>Amougies)<br>http://www.musart.co.uk/watrat/wr92.htm<br>I will try to contact Martin Laplante and I will also try to talk to the<br>people at the Cinemathèque. Hopefully they will tell me were the film<br>came from and/or who is the owner. Looks like the screening took place<br>at the Cinemathèque in Montréal on June 4, 1998 at 5pm. (where the f%#$<br>was I?)<br>Here is a nice picture of FZ & CB at the Amougies Festival. It's from<br>the Alain Dister book.<br><br> <br>Also an ad for the festival before it was moved to Belgium.<br><br>

Solipsism Facebook
Juno Records Vinyl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:59 am 

Image<br><br>Notice Aynsley Dunbar there the day before Pink Floyd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:22 pm 

Exist some otehr pics from concert of FZ and PF?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:56 pm 

I seem to recall reading an interview in a guitar mag with David Gilmour saying something along the lines of [glow=red,2,300]"Zappa got ostage and jammed with us, he turned all the controls up to max and blew us away, he was very professional"[/glow] probably would have been in Total Guitar (UK) in the early/mid 90s...<br><br>Pretty vague, sorry!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:56 pm 

PINK FLOYD<br> <br>AMOUGIES '69<br><br>Image<br> <br><br>Source: October 25th, 1969 – Mont de L'Enclus, Amougies, Belgium.<br><br>Album notes: Wyst&#281;p w ramach Amougies Pop & Jazz Festival w Belgii. Bardzo dobra jako&#347;&#263; techniczna, dwa pierwsze utwory po&#322;&#261;czone. Nie jest pewne, czy „Interstellar Overdrive” pochodzi z tego samego wyst&#281;pu (w ró&#380;nych wykazach podaje si&#281; daty: 1 May 1970 lub 8 Aug 1969). Jednak spo&#347;ród kilku kr&#261;&#380;&#261;cych wersji tego nagrania, to wydaje si&#281; by&#263; oryginalne.<br><br>X-ref: No info. <br> <br>Tracks: <br>  1. Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun  (11:08) <br>  2. Green Is The Colour  (4:14) <br>  3. Careful With That Axe, Eugene  (9:30) <br>  4. Interstellar Overdrive  (9:43)  <br><br>http://roio.alpha.pl/pink_floyd_69/amougies.htm<br>

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:10 pm 

http://makeashorterlink.com/?C68B32B5A

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:12 am 

A lot of sites do have Music Power listed in their FZ and/or Floyd filmographies.  I want to get a hold of that thing...<br><br>Almost everything is collected here if anyone didn't know.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:44 am 

Finally I have laid my hands on that recording... Still the doubt, it could very well be Frank playing, but I dunno...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:45 am 

[quote author=Mr_Green_Genes link=board=legends;num=1072218376;start=30#43 date=03/05/05 at 10:44:34]Finally I have laid my hands on that recording... Still the doubt, it could very well be Frank playing, but I dunno...[/quote]<br><br>[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=wishList;num=1089431631;start=0#2 date=07/09/04 at 22:02:25]<br>if waters¿ introduces it as:<br><br>... 'something we've been playing since we were teenagers' ....<br><br> keep lookin [sub];)[/sub][/quote]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:32 pm 

[quote author=Mr_Green_Genes link=board=legends;num=1072218376;start=30#43 date=03/05/05 at 10:44:34]Finally I have laid my hands on that recording... Still the doubt, it could very well be Frank playing, but I dunno...[/quote]<br><br><br>i've had a recording from this date for a while,  with the intro saying we've been playing this one since we were teenagers..  <br>i just dont hear zappa on it,  but who can be sure..   <br>if he is playing, it's sure not very obvious... perhaps fz was pressured to go on stage with pf,  not really wanting to, and then just held back.   <br><br>anyways,  i ain't convinced either way about the recording i have.   <br><br>ree<br>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:48 pm 

it wasnt syd barret or gilmour either

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:55 pm 

I question that picture as well but did joe satriani play with frank<br>my e -mail is coco1107@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:00 pm 

Satriani taught Dweeze a few things as well as playing with G3 . <br>G3 was Satriani , Eric Johnson & Steve Vai ( frank's player of choice for strat abuse )<br><br>Really good shit.<br><br>There's a video out there with them playing MY GUITAR ..killer stuff but on my copy Vai's guitar solo is muted. :-/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:49 am 
Banned

[quote author=jaypfunk link=board=legends;num=1072218376;start=0#0 date=12/23/03 at 14:26:16]Image[/quote]<br><br>Image

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:27 am 

Zappa seems to have had either a bad memory or a selective memory.<br><br>Obviously his memory was near photographic when it came to his music, business, etc. however, I rememer someone pointing out (in another forum recently) that Frank said he didn't know anything about Santana and/or had never heard him...yet he did the mystery chord song.<br><br>When interviewed, he seems to know nothing about many of the most famous other musicians.<br><br>I think, to a certain extent, Frank was in his own world and wanted to pretend that he had no modern influences and or true friends in the music industry.<br><br>I'll bet he was there before he was "hot shit" and would prefer not to admit to having been there.<br><br>Or else I'm full of shit...which is possible also.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:10 am 

Image<br><br>What a line-up, wish I had been born yet...<br><br>The BYG / Actuel label is pretty notorious for ripping off all the musicians on their roster, I'd guess if the Floyd gig was recorded professionally, they would have issued it on bootlegs a long time ago.<br><br>Are there any recordings of FZ jamming with some of the other acts?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next