Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:26 pm 
Banned

ok... Here we have a pic of FZ with Floyd and Nick Mason's account. FZ claims he NEVER jammed with them.<br>Nick does and so does the pic!<br>WHAT THE FUCK!!<br><br>Below is an MP3 of a Society Pages Interview with FZ from 12-22-1989 explaining the whole festival.<br><br>MP3:<br>http://jaypfunk.home.comcast.net/fzpf.mp3<br><br>OK here are some things I can come up with:<br><br>1- FZ really forgot about jamming with them.<br><br>2 - The pic is a fake.<br><br>3 - Nick Mason did too much acid and "thinks" they jammed with FZ. hahahahaha<br><br>Do pictures lie? I guess we will never know unless that film fottage sees the light of day!<br>(what is it with these assholes that sit on shit like that?)<br><br><br>Nick Mason Interview:<br>Q: You played with Frank Zappa in the Amougies festival?  <br> <br>Nick Mason: Frank Zappa is really one of those rare musicians that can play with us. The little he did in Amougies was terribly correct. But he's the exception. Our music and the way we behave on stage, makes it very hard to improvise with us.<br><br>Image

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:39 pm 

i've never heard this one before, but by the look of the pic i would say it looks real (although i'm not a pic expert).  the light shadow coming from behind franks head seems to fade out equally around his head, and the way frank's left leg fades into the shadow while still seeing the leg line makes it look like it's not fake.  who knows?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:43 pm 
Banned

[quote author=johnoppel link=board=legends;num=1072218376;start=0#1 date=12/23/03 at 14:39:57]i've never heard this one before, but by the look of the pic i would say it looks real (although i'm not a pic expert).  the light shadow coming from behind franks head seems to fade out equally around his head, and the way frank's left leg fades into the shadow while still seeing the leg line makes it look like it's not fake.  who knows?[/quote]<br><br>Weird shit huh?? The pic looks real to me too but listen to the<br>MP3: <br>http://jaypfunk.home.comcast.net/fzpf.mp3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:55 pm 

its weird alright.  frank hesitates a few seconds before he answers so maybe he forgot?  i'm confused.  i've been looking around for a page i thought i had bookmarked that breaksdown almost everyshow from every tour, but i cant find it.  anybody else found anything?  billy you're good at snooping these things out.....get snoopin'!! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:58 pm 

Here's what I found on the FZ giglist (http://members.shaw.ca/fz-pomd/giglist/):<br><br>69/10/24-28       Amougies, Belgium  Festival d'Amougies       <br>             <br>FZ was MC and jammed with Pink Floyd, Archie Shepp, Aynsley Dunbar's Retaliation, Caravan, Black Cat Bones, Blossom Toes, Sam Apple Pie, and Captain Beefheart (separately, one assumes!). Festival was scheduled for 10/24-10/28 in France, but moved to Belgium.<br><br>EDIT: I found a link to an interview that was publised in '73 that mentions it. You can find it here:<br><br>http://www.killuglyradio.com/features/humo_spoke_with_frank_zappa.php

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:03 pm 

This is in that interview I posted the link to:<br><br>Humo: When will you be presenting a festival over here, the way you did so gracefully in Amougies in ‘69?<br><br>Zappa: Don’t mention that, it’s the blackest period in my whole life. First they get me over here to present a festival, something which I’m really not any good at. I still haven’t figured out how I got dragged into this. Next it becomes obvious that absolutely no person in the audience understands one word of English, so my incredibly witty puns have no effect whatsoever, so that I find myself to be totally useless, and, as such, renounce to the job of presenter. Since I was stuck here anyway, I let myself get overwhelmed once again, and went out to jam with some of the groups at the request of the promotors, very much to their dislike might i add. Finally, let me just say it was icy cold in Amougies and there was nothing but Green Hotdogs to eat, so you’ll understand that from now on, any person that conjurs up the idea of organizing a festival in mid winter gets my best wishes and can shove it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:07 pm 

[quote author=johnoppel link=board=legends;num=1072218376;start=0#3 date=12/23/03 at 14:55:16] billy you're good at snooping these things out.....get snoopin'!! ;)[/quote]<br><br>Aw, shucks. :-[  Anyone that knows how to use Google can find everything I've posted and more.  I'm just the one who's bored enough to take the time and actually look. ;D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:13 pm 
Banned

[quote author=Billy link=board=legends;num=1072218376;start=0#4 date=12/23/03 at 14:58:28]Here's what I found on the FZ giglist (http://members.shaw.ca/fz-pomd/giglist/):<br><br>69/10/24-28       Amougies, Belgium  Festival d'Amougies       <br>             <br>FZ was MC and jammed with Pink Floyd, Archie Shepp, Aynsley Dunbar's Retaliation, Caravan, Black Cat Bones, Blossom Toes, Sam Apple Pie, and Captain Beefheart (separately, one assumes!). Festival was scheduled for 10/24-10/28 in France, but moved to Belgium.<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Just 'cause some giglist says he did doesn't mean he really did but the pic is proof to me.<br>But in the MP3 I posted FZ tells a diff story. FUCKED UP!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:31 pm 

Humo: And a 1000% less theatricality? <br><br>Zappa: Pungent remark there, jackass.<br> ???<br>[move] 8)HILARIOUS 8)[/move]<br><br>
Quote:
quote by Big Willy Styley:<br>Aw, shucks.   Anyone that knows how to use Google can find everything I've posted and more.  I'm just the one who's bored enough to take the time and actually look.
<br>yeah but you always seem to get to stuff right before me!  blast you!!  plus you always find the RIGHT page!! ;D<br><br>edit:  this is most likely a stupid question, but did fz and beefheart leave on bad terms?  i must have missed well known huh? the way franks talks in that article sounded kinda weird :-[

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:12 pm 

[quote author=jaypfunk link=board=legends;num=1072218376;start=0#0 date=12/23/03 at 14:26:16]...2 - The pic is a fake....[/quote]<br>that mp3 sounds doctored (that's a good fz imitation jayp  ;D ) :<br>interviewer: ....a festival in belgium called amougies/perform onstage with pink floyd, true or false<br><br>so frank hesitates & says: not with pink floyd<br><br>turn up the volume, it sounds like the the interviewer's question was cut/edited right before he says 'perform'<br><br>maybe the entire pink floyd wasn't onstage, so frank says not with pink floyd<br><br>[hr]Syd Barrett's Musical Influences page: Freak Out!...<br>Barrett cited this album in an interview, stating that he had 'taken quite a lot' from this band as well as the Byrds and Fugs<br><br>from johan lif: an interview with PF drummer Nick Mason mentions this Amougies jam with Zappa; <br>I remember him saying something to the effect that "very few people have the right personality to play with us", but what Zappa did was "terribly right".[hr]<br><br>so the tape was rigged, or frank selectively forgot about it, or would'nt admit to it; i say he jammed with floyd, or at least the floyd members in the pic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:22 pm 

Well, i dont know if that photo is real or not. <br><br>But look at Frank, whats he staring at? It's as if hes just looking at the ground (maybe hes looking at his picking hand?).<br>But, notice the light behind Frank, it goes over his neck. So im going with, yes they are jamming.<br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:08 pm 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=legends;num=1072218376;start=0#9 date=12/23/03 at 21:12:29]<br>so the tape was rigged, or frank selectively forgot about it, or would'nt admit to it...[/quote]<br><br>I'm going with the second one there, slimey, considering what he said in the interview I posted. I mean, it was done around '73, so if he says that festival was worse than losing all your equipment in a fire and getting pushed offstage by a deranged fan, it must've been pretty fuckin' bad.<br>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:09 am 
Banned

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=legends;num=1072218376;start=0#9 date=12/23/03 at 21:12:29]<br>that mp3 sounds doctored (that's a good fz imitation jayp  ;D ) :<br>interviewer: ....a festival in belgium called amougies/perform onstage with pink floyd, true or false<br><br>so frank hesitates & says: not with pink floyd<br><br>turn up the volume, it sounds like the the interviewer's question was cut/edited right before he says 'perform'<br><br>maybe the entire pink floyd wasn't onstage, so frank says not with pink floyd<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>Well Slime... give up the conspiracy bullshit!!<br>The tape is NOT doctored it is from the original 5 hour Society Pages interview tape.<br><br>Frank was probably smoking during the interview that's why there is a pause in his answer. It's NOT doctored in any way. If you have ever seen Frank talk while in a long interview he had that weird habit of taking deep breaths while smoking.<br>Why the fuck would I "doctor" a tape?  ::)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:12 am 

[quote author=jaypfunk link=board=legends;num=1072218376;start=0#12 date=12/24/03 at 07:09:47]<br><br><br>Well Slime... give up the conspiracy bullshit!!<br>The tape is NOT doctored it is from the original 5 hour Society Pages interview tape.<br><br>Frank was probably smoking during the interview that's why there is a pause in his answer. It's NOT doctored in any way. If you have ever seen Frank talk while in a long interview he had that weird habit of taking deep breaths while smoking.<br>Why the fuck would I "doctor" a tape?  ::)[/quote]<br>i believe the jamming session took place...i've seen a few sources on it...not just this forum

Solipsism Facebook
Juno Records Vinyl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:13 am 

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=legends;num=1072218376;start=0#14 date=12/24/03 at 11:02:30]Well, I know my Photoshop inside and out (I use it on a daily basis in my work), so I downloaded the image to take a closer look at it. It's a high resolution image (but very small), so I could zoom in on it without getting a lot of pixels, and, well, it could be doctored, but it can also be the real thing. Zappa's neck line seems a bit weird to me though, and that could be an effect of the spotlight behind him, but that light could also be a perfect spot to cut out the head of another guitarist and put Zappa's head in its place. I don't know...[/quote]<br>but you have to remember that nick mason has spoken about this and it has been documented...why would he lie to protect the guy who doctored the pic?

Solipsism Facebook
Juno Records Vinyl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:42 am 

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=legends;num=1072218376;start=15#16 date=12/24/03 at 11:25:36]<br>Why would he not want to admit to that, you might ask. [/quote]<br><br>I hate to beat this into the ground, but if you read the interview I posted, I'm sure you'll find an explanation.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:45 am 

What a combination! I would have loved to have seen/heard that!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:40 pm 

Good thread. It reminded me of something I wanted to ask the more knowlegable members of this forum...<br><br>I had VH-1 Classics on TV the other day with the volume turned down. I looked over to see Frank's face on the screen, in a close-up. I ran to turn up the volume and hear what he was saying, but as soon as the sound was up Frank was gone and Pink Floyd appeared, performing "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun". I have no idea where this footage came from, nor do I know what Frank was saying before the song started.<br><br>If someone out there could fill me in on this, I'd be most grateful.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:12 pm 

Kevin Courrier in his book "The Dangerous Kitchen " writes:<br><br>After Hot Rats came out, Zappa served as a road manager for captain Beefheart & His Magic Band at the Amougies Pop Festival in the fall of 1969. The 3 day festival featured a wide variety of artits including Soft Machine, Archie Shepp, Terry Riley, the Aynsley Dunbar Retaliation and Pink Floyd (who Zappa would jam with on their guitardriven "Interstellar Overdrive".) Footage from Captain Beefheart's devistating version of "My human gets me blues" appears on the boxed set Grow Fins.( you can see Zappa standing at the side of the stage watching this performance.)<br><br>Greg Rusoo writes in his book "Cosmik Debris:<br><br>Meanwhile Zappa took Captain Beefheart with him on a trip to Belgium where he played with Pink Floyd (on their fan favourite "Interstellar Overdrive"and others at the festival d'Amougies. A film of the Belgian concert "MUSIC POWER" was filmed but not released.<br><br><br>By the way this is a nice one too:<br><br>Frank Zappa and Al diMeola at the Ritz New York 1981<br><br>Image

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:38 pm 

if you listen to duprees paradise on YCDTOSAM2 there is, i seem to recall, a very very pink-floydish kinda bassline/ something happening somewhere at the beginning / first 10 mins. no evidence of jamming or not  but if anyone can hear what i hear and get the floyd song i associate with it there might be a - who done it first question up for, ip for, up for, up for --------friday night - gimme 5<br><br>i shall try and be more specific later on saturday<br><br><br>mungo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:52 am 

<br>Back in 1993 I've read a book by Omnus I think on Pink Floyd and at the end videography the author claims that there is a super-8 movie footage of FZ-PF performing suposedly Interstellar Overdrive...<br><br>