Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Fired Band Members?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:46 am 

There's one fairly recent interview with Ian in the Zappa documentary that was made for Dutch television (I think it's called "The Big Note", made around the year 2000). I can't really remember what he says there, but I think he praised Frank for his work ethic and originality. No mention of the reason why he left the Mothers. But yeah.. that must have been a very rare appearance.<br><br>I just remembered another thing I read somewhere... at one point he had joined the Magic Band to play guitar (!) on one of their albums, but apparently that didn't work out as planned, Beefheart was too difficult to work with or something... Unfortunately, I can't find the article or interview this was mentioned in, can anyone confirm this?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:05 am 

[quote author=Aybe_Sea link=board=legends;num=1052838067;start=45#48 date=02/19/06 at 06:41:50]Why did Ian go though?[/quote]<br><br>Just guessing, but maybe there was some tension between him and Ruth. When did the two divorce?<br>

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:43 am 

I got to see the Dixie Dregs with Jerry Goodman a few years back (they were opening up for Dream Theater) and the interplay between Steve Morse, Goodman and keyboardist T Lavitz was amazing and very Zappa-esque. I know Jerry is on the Dregs' California Screamin' disc, but I'm not aware of any others.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:58 am 

[quote author=Aybe_Sea link=board=legends;num=1052838067;start=45#48 date=02/19/06 at 06:41:50]Sal Marquez was fired because he wanted a raise. [/quote]<br><br>In the Dutch Aloha magazine from December 2003, George Duke (I think, should check it again) told the story that Sal Marquez was fired because he and Frank fancied the same girl. The girl went for Sal, and Sal was fired.<br>Anyone know more about that?<br>

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:26 pm 

In the interviews I read with FZ, he would praise his talent, but said he evicted him from the band because of his alcohol-based problems. Although the "I-want-her-no-I-want-her" scenario is pretty amusing. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:30 pm 

I prefer ponty's jazz based improvisations. Goodman is more original in a way but not as good a tone i think. Ponty's recording "plays the music of frank zappa" is really good IMO. He's latest album is a little more towards his original direction but the use of electronic drumming isn't the same for me. it's okay.<br><br> Whatever became of Denny Walley?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:45 am 

Ponty didn't want royalties for his solos. When he joined Zappa's band...<br><br>
Quote:
it was a very interesting experience, because zappa took out all the very complex instrumental music that he had stashed in his desk.
<br><br>However...<br><br>
Quote:
the public lost interest quickly, and he had to go back to satire and more commercial rock. that wasn't what i wanted to do.
<br><br>I think he told Zappa as much, and Zappa didn't take kindly to his words. Whether he was fired or quit, he was out of the band due to personal conflict with FZ.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:48 am 

on the subject of jeff simmons quitting and then being fired...
and the preposterous guesswork of these pedantic acolytes...
Ruth loved jeff...frank loved Jeff.. (Ruth's quote)
he quit....he was re-hired...and then fired ..
nobody plays the last card on Frank