Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Fired Band Members?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:34 am 

[quote author=buddy link=board=legends;num=1052838067;start=15#26 date=12/05/04 at 08:13:01]<br><br>Regarding Jeff Berlin, for those that haven't heard him<br>play, let me tell you that he KICKS ASS !!!<br>[/quote]<br><br>Agree!  I've heard and seen him play a few times with Bill Bruford's electric band back in the late 70's - early 80's...Bruford wanted to bring him into King Crimson when they reformed in '81, but Fripp decided on Tony Levin...<br>

>You don't.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:32 am 

.. :-/ :'( ???.......... :o...you guys,your forgetting your roots!!!!!..if you look back to the past,the original M.O.I.'s were all canned when he broke theband.because of that they all suffered their own personal grudges in different ways,but being there and knowing them,even trying to get the whole thing together again,when i visited jimmy carl black,in austin,texas,on my misson of God,after hurricaine andrew blew me away,in 92.after i talked to ray,i was told by him,to don't even talk about it,i know it affected him deeply,i'm hoping to contact him in the future,if i can find a way to get a hold of him,cause i always cared about him,and renew our friendship that i feel was affected by that conversation when i called from jimmys that day. don and jimmy and most of the guys still in their hearts hold alot of respect to him,but they were all hurt,letdown,and screwed out of alot of money......this i know for a fact..................... :'(..... ah so much for history....or water under the bridge..as ray left me with that..last time i spoke to him........i always cherish..those priceless memories and bizzare escapades i shared with them!!!!!!!!!!...CHARTRUSE.......SANDWICH&DOUBLE PUMP YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D........ :-*

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:24 am 

[quote author=chartruse link=board=legends;num=1052838067;start=15#29 date=12/06/04 at 03:32:41].. :-/ :'( ???.......... :o...you guys,your forgetting your roots!!!!!..if you look back to the past,the original M.O.I.'s were all canned when he broke theband.because of that they all suffered their own personal grudges in different ways,but being there and knowing them,even trying to get the whole thing together again,when i visited jimmy carl black,in austin,texas,on my misson of God,after hurricaine andrew blew me away,in 92.after i talked to ray,i was told by him,to don't even talk about it,i know it affected him deeply,i'm hoping to contact him in the future,if i can find a way to get a hold of him,cause i always cared about him,and renew our friendship that i feel was affected by that conversation when i called from jimmys that day. don and jimmy and most of the guys still in their hearts hold alot of respect to him,but they were all hurt,letdown,and screwed out of alot of money......this i know for a fact..................... :'(..... ah so much for history....or water under the bridge..as ray left me with that..last time i spoke to him........i always cherish..those priceless memories and bizzare escapades i shared with them!!!!!!!!!!...CHARTRUSE.......SANDWICH&DOUBLE PUMP YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D........ :-*[/quote]<br>why don't you try emailing him...he normally responds to emails from fans so i reckon he'd welcome one from an old friend  :o<br>

Solipsism Facebook
Juno Records Vinyl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:27 am 

[email]jimmy@jimmycarlblack.com[email]

Solipsism Facebook
Juno Records Vinyl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:14 am 

Another funny story is about how David Logeman got into the band in the first place. Originally, Frank hired a guy named Sinclair Lott to replace Vinnie. When it came time for rehearsals, he played until lunch, left for his lunch break, and never came back.  :o

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:48 pm 

I seem to remember an interview I read with Adrian Belew where he said that one night a few members of the band were caught doing drugs and Zappa fired the entire band (including Adrian, who wasn't involved). Is this accurate?

Post subject: re: fired band members?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:14 pm 

[quote author=trippingovergod link=board=legends;num=1052838067;start=30#34 date=01/03/05 at 18:48:54]...an interview I read with Adrian Belew...[/quote]<br><br>[quote author=a. belew link=board=legends;num=1052838067;start=30#35 date=aug '94 in t'mershi duween #40]<br>q: What was Frank's reaction when you wanted to leave?<br><br>ab: He didn't like it (laughs). I think Frank didn't care much for David Bowie personally, and then secondly I don't think he liked the idea that I was leaving so soon. But he shook my hand and said 'Good luck and I hope it works out for you'. He ended up firing the whole band at the end of the London shows and was very upset about it. It had nothing to do with me, and since I had already in a sense removed myself from the picture, I didn't feel too responsible, but I did go and see him that last night of the tour after the show, and he said 'Good luck.' The firing of the band had something to do with some incidents that happened on tour, where people had gotten into trouble with drugs. Not me. I was drug free (laughs)....[/quote]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:23 am 

Geez, I've been gone for a while.  Can someone tell me about how Ponty was hired and fired/quit?  Did Zappa get him because he dug Mahavishnu?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:37 am 

[quote author=fatherofinvention link=board=legends;num=1052838067;start=30#36 date=01/04/05 at 05:23:36]Geez, I've been gone for a while.  Can someone tell me about how Ponty was hired and fired/quit?  Did Zappa get him because he dug Mahavishnu?[/quote]<br>Ponty played with Zappa on Hot Rats (1969). Pontys first album with Mahavishnu Orchestra was Visions of the Emerald Beyond which came out 1974 I think. So as you can see, Zappa had Ponty first.  ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:39 am 

[quote author=fatherofinvention link=board=legends;num=1052838067;start=30#36 date=01/04/05 at 05:23:36]Geez, I've been gone for a while.  Can someone tell me about how Ponty was hired and fired/quit?  Did Zappa get him because he dug Mahavishnu?[/quote]<br>Oh ponty was fired because he wanted royalties for his solos or some shit. Spoiled cunt. He should realise that if your hired you and on a salary, that is your pay.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:36 am 

I know we're all Zappa fans and everything and have that Zappish spot for Ponty in our hearts.  But Jerry Goodman, which I believe is the violinist before Ponty in Mahavishnu was better.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:54 pm 

[quote author=fatherofinvention link=board=legends;num=1052838067;start=30#40 date=01/05/05 at 05:36:26]I know we're all Zappa fans and everything and have that Zappish spot for Ponty in our hearts.  But Jerry Goodman, which I believe is the violinist before Ponty in Mahavishnu was better.[/quote]<br>Ponty is awesome. BUT, Goodman (who was before Ponty indeed) has so much fire in his solos its amazing...hes like the McLaughlin of Violin...thats why I think he was good for the first Mahavishnu. But the second Mahavishnu was more about composition and written notes just as much as it was about improvising.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:36 am 

I saw Jerry Goodman in the early seventies when<br> he was with a band called The Flock. I think their<br> first album was good, and Jerry was very good !

Post subject: re: fired band members?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:59 pm 

goodman teamed up with jan hammer for a pretty solid fusion album, he also plays decent guitar on it<br><br>Image<br><br>tough to compare him to ponty, they both have similar styles, but ponty is a stronger player, more able to carry off solo efforts...i agree with nooms, haven't heard a fuck of a lotta new shit from ponty for the last couple decades

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:44 am 

Jerry Goodman is, or recently was, in Dixie Dregs. I haven't heard him in that configuration, though. I prefer Ponty, if anybody cares. It's hard to beat Roxy-era Ponty. These days, I highly recommend Nigel Kennedy.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:06 am 

[quote author=Ronnys Noomies link=board=legends;num=1052838067;start=30#43 date=01/06/05 at 08:48:11]I think Ponty is technically more brilliant than Jerry, but Ponty has settled into the most boring music of his career in recent years, taking advantage of the new age crowd. A shame. Jerry's playing always has an aggressive edge to it, which is always nice (sort of like a certain imperial wearing dead guy we all know and love).[/quote]<br><br>I agree with you. Ponty is really a fantastic violinist but the music he writes and play with his own bands are really devoid of any interest.<br><br>Jerry was really the McLaughlin's alter ego. But this was one of the reasons I did not like so much Mahavishnu's second and third albums: too often they enjoyed the very fast alternated solos.<br>However, I do not think that Jerry was technically speaking less brilliant than Ponty. Simply, Ponty is also able to play in a more "educated" (in the sense of the classical formation he received) way.<br><br>I also, like Buddy, loved the first album of The Flock. This brings me so many years back......<br>

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:31 pm 

[quote author=NANOOK76 link=board=legends;num=1052838067;start=30#39 date=01/04/05 at 07:49:32]<br><br>Strange too considering he went off to work with John McLaughlin who pretty much ran the show the same way Frank did.<br> ;D[/quote]<br><br>Allegedly, McLaughlin ended up not liking Ponty that well either.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:05 pm 

[quote author=monstermovie link=board=legends;num=1052838067;start=45#46 date=01/22/05 at 13:06:53]<br><br>I agree with you. Ponty is really a fantastic violinist but the music he writes and play with his own bands are really devoid of any interest.<br><br>Jerry was really the McLaughlin's alter ego. But this was one of the reasons I did not like so much Mahavishnu's second and third albums: too often they enjoyed the very fast alternated solos.<br>However, I do not think that Jerry was technically speaking less brilliant than Ponty. Simply, Ponty is also able to play in a more "educated" (in the sense of the classical formation he received) way.<br><br>I also, like Buddy, loved the first album of The Flock. This brings me so many years back......<br>[/quote]<br>Monster Movie. I think your right when you say Jerry was Johns alter ego. I think I said earlier he is the McLaughlin of violin...thats a fucking acheivement itself. To be able to not only play, but improvise that fast and clear is nothing short of astounding. Go Goodman I say!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:57 am 

[quote author=Gizzard link=board=legends;num=1052838067;start=45#45 date=01/21/05 at 09:44:32]Jerry Goodman is, or recently was, in Dixie Dregs. I haven't heard him in that configuration, though. I prefer Ponty, if anybody cares. It's hard to beat Roxy-era Ponty. These days, I highly recommend Nigel Kennedy.[/quote]<br><br>Sorry Gizzard but Ponty was not the most important musician in the "Roxy" era. <br>In a way I can understand, because I am a nostalgic almost old man, what you say: the first time I saw a Franz Zappa's concert was in 1973 and Ponty was on the stage.<br>But who really characterized the "Roxy" era were: George Duke, Ruth Underwood, the Fowlers, Chetser Thompson, Ralph Humphries and Napoleon. <br>Listen also to YCDTOSA vol. 2 (the Helsinki Concert), whit a reduced combo with respect to both "Roxy" and "Overnite sensation".<br>You will see that Ponty is not necessary (though he was very good of course).<br>When Frank changed the band he had some new good musicians (as usual) but without George Duke, Napoleon and Ruth Underwood that particular sound disappeared.<br><br>To FROWNLAND: yes buddy, you are right. You already said that Goodman was the McLaughlin of the violin. I agree.<br>

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:35 am 

[quote author=Aybe_Sea link=board=legends;num=1052838067;start=45#48 date=02/19/06 at 06:41:50] Why did Ian go though? Had his stint with Zappa ran its course? Or was he also fired on some reason?[/quote]<br><br>I don't know, but I would like to know this myself. Perhaps he didn't want to tour anymore? I don't think he ever gigged with other artists or bands, only studio sessions.