Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Suicide Chump
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:55 pm 

Exactly Lumpy! That was indeed the spirit of my previously my meager point: Don't make fun about people in pain. But what the hey: Judged by the responses, I am just a stupid sissy and all what Frank did is the work of a God.......   <br><br>-HJ<br><br>PS: I love 98% of FZ's output, but Suicide Chumb is just one of those songs I think is rather cheap and stupid.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:57 am 

Speaking from experience, getting laid does not really make depression go away---in some cases, it makes it worse. But therapy definately helped....feeling stronger everyday as the song says. That was 8 years ago, and no, I never tried (or thought about) suicide. But I knew people who have, so unless you've been there, don't judge. Unless they ARE one of those "Boys who cry wolf" types...."I'm gonna kill myseeeelf!" I've known those as well. Very few and far between, though. I think Frank may have gone through a depression or two...i mean, the whole time where Warner Brother's locked him out of every recording studio and released horribly put-together albums has got to affect a person. But he just strikes me as the kind who would'nt have done that. Just lash out with lyrics and music...I think that and his family held him together.....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:23 pm 

[quote author=Zardoz link=board=legends;num=1088199016;start=60#60 date=09/27/04 at 14:05:34]<br><br>From listening to the song your probabley right. It still is a baffling issue. Most attempted suicides are theatrics, the preverbial crying out for help. Why not just go see shrink?  ???<br>[/quote]<br><br>That is trying to apply reason to an emotional, nonrational state.  If a person is depressed/fearful/angry in the way we are talking about all they know is the hell of the way they feel.  They are not thinking, gee I'm kinda depressed I think I'll go see a shrink.  They "act out" to show the wounds that are inside, that they can't express with words, and that nobody can see from the outside.  And shrinks!  Don't make me laugh!  There are so many imcompetent shrinks and counselors that will just take your money and waste your time.  It is a piece of luck (or providence?) when you find the help you need when you need it in the way you can take advantage of it.  When I was agoraphobic I desparately looked for help.  One of the options was to go into the city for a course of treatment.  How the fuck was I going to get there when I couldn't drive?  I could barely walk out of the house!  Or somebody would come out to me, but it was too fucking expensive.  Luckily I found other ways to survive, because I knew what the alternative was.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:19 am 

Yo,<br><br>  New to the forum. I am a social worker and I deal with this stuff all day long. <br><br>    As insensitive as FZ may seem in this song, it actually may do some good for folks who are actually suicidal. Why? Because it gets them angry at someone besides themselves, or it makes them laugh - both emotional states make suicide less likely.<br><br>        IF FZ had written and performed this song prior to the death of his road manager, do you think it would have made a difference?<br><br>         It is possible to tease someone and be sensitive to their pain.  Ask my kids.<br><br><br>           Wim

Post subject: Re: re:suicide chump
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:22 am 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=legends;num=1088199016;start=15#16 date=07/05/04 at 13:17:57][center]Image[/center][center][sup]don't do it  :o[/sup][/center][/quote]<br>I really like these paintings......

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:29 am 

[quote author=jaypfunk link=board=legends;num=1088199016;start=75#80 date=12/17/04 at 09:00:14]<br>Image<br>[/quote]<br><br>OMG!! That is terrible, but hilarious.  ;D ;D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:52 am 

OK, here's the deal.  It appears that you folks have been batting this one around since january-04 and no one seems to have grasped the conceptual continuity behind "Suicide Chump". <br><br>Once upon a time in a land just South of Charlotte North Carolina lived a sleazy TV preacher and his pudgy little princess.  They were known to you and me as Jim and Tammy Fay.  They made a nationally televised career (and built a theme park while in the process) bilking hundreds of millions of dollars from tens of millions of those less intelligent than themselves.  They used the old  "I have the ear of God and you don't" con and in no time flat had enough money to literally air condition the doghouse in Palm Springs, CA.  <br><br>Well as all good things must come to an end, so too did this little charade.  Allegations of Rape (by a buxom beauty we'll call Jessica for the sake of this discussion), criminal wrongdoing, conspiracy to commit fraud, fraud, tax evasion, you get the picture.  <br><br>Well Tammy Faye got a new husband and a lame TV show and the Right Reverend Jim went to the Gray Bar Hotel.  While in the pokey, Reverend Jim who was Jonesing for a publicity fix, decided that if he attempted to take his own life, maybe the courts would have mercy on his rotten-to-the-core soul and either release him (cause he was sorry he cheated all those stupid people) or he would go down in history as a martyr for the religious right.  He didn’t want to mess his face up in the process because if he did, we wouldn’t know who he was.  He would be just another dead guy in jail.  But like everything else Jim undertook, he fucked his attempt at suicide up and therefore became the poster boy for the sport of chumps, A.K.A. failed suicide attempts.  <br><br>While we’re on the topic of gutless cowardly ways to die, didn’t Kurt “Heroin Boy” Cobain  choose this out?  Oh yeah, that’s right, he was from Seattle so it’s cool!  Yeah, right!<br><br>

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next