Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:44 am 

I freaked out a bit over Frank's death...I heard it on the morning news...<br>I spent the day listening to Frank really loud on these big 4-way<br> JBL studio monitors I happened to have at the time...<br>the neighbours went ballistic...called the cops...I was just sort of numb<br><br>Years later, I just rationalize it by thinking how the guy achieved more in his life than most people would in a hundred lifetimes.<br><br>If he hadn't have locked himself in the studio for 18 hours a day..livin' on ciggies, coffee and peanut butter sandwiches he may have lived a bit longer...<br><br>But then we wouldn't have all that beautiful music...<br><br>would we?

"Wanna buy some pencils?...."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:26 am 

Sad but unsurprised as it was pretty expected.  Then I felt angry when I thought of all the Keith Richards' in the world who had filled themselves with junk but were still alive, whilst Frank avoided that path and died so young.<br><br>Putting aside how much we loved and admired the guy, he really was terribly young when he died.  Most men haven't got a clue where the prostate is (I know I didn't before this) and yet prostate cancer kills about 4 times as many men as breast cancer kills women.   :(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:25 am 

Similar to a lot of ya.<br><br>I was at work and a coworker who knew I was into FZ told me.  I had been into FZ and Mothers et al for over 20 years and knew he was in bad shape, but still...<br><br>I was happy to see Kurt Loder on MTV give him a decent sendoff (by MTV standards of the early '90s), concluding with, <br><br>"He is already missed."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:44 pm 

[quote author=Tuco link=board=legends;num=1031229228;start=45#54 date=06/09/05 at 11:25:12]Similar to a lot of ya.<br><br>I was at work and a coworker who knew I was into FZ told me.  I had been into FZ and Mothers et al for over 20 years and knew he was in bad shape, but still...<br><br>I was happy to see Kurt Loder on MTV give him a decent sendoff (by MTV standards of the early '90s), concluding with, <br><br>"He is already missed."[/quote]<br><br>     I could never figure Loder out. I was tainted by an MTV momment that happened not too long after the "Zappa for Prez" thing. Frank had backed out. I think it was common knowledge that he was sick at this point.<br>     Loder was doing the "MTV News" and something that he was reporting about brought FZ into the frey. I really can't remember what the topic was. Sorry.<br>     Frank was ticked and looking very pre-Yellow Shark. Very shabby with his hair growing back in. After the clip, we shoot back to Loder and he quips something like "Frank Zappa. Looking more Presidential everyday".<br>     What bothers me is if Loder was a fan, how did he not know FZ was sick? It seemed like a low-blow. The man was DYING! FZ already gave up hope for running. But Kurt seemed to want to point out that Zappa for Prez was a silly idea.<br>     OK... maybe it was. If FZ was actually voted in, his tenure would already be over. Would we be a better country? It don't matter because Frank would never get elected. Pure sci-fi.<br>     In any event... Loder seemed to point out Zappa's short-comings as a leader with one swift "MTV" momment. I.E. ... "what an aged old fool".<br>     Did Kurt Loder put his foot in his mouth? Did he just rag on a dying ICON of rock? Was he just plain dumb to the facts?<br>     It seems Loder should have known of Zappa's situation. But maybe he didn't. In any case, Fuck that guy.<br>    

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:50 pm 

It gets harder and harder to take, the further I indulge in the man's music and learn more about him!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:57 pm 

I don't feel sad so much because of reincarnation.I know Zappa stated that once you're dead then that's it.But that only pertains to the outward self-the temporal body & name.Goethe believed in reincarnation & Zappa was him.H.Wieniawski-violinist & composer- looks exactly like Zappa-goatee & all-in his younger years.And the music thereof sounds like a late 19th century version of the classical Zappa.Goethe died 1832.Wieniawski was born 1835.//Somewhere not far from where I'm currently living I lived in an apartment where you could hear everything in the adjacent apartment.The year was 1999-late 1999.A woman just rented the other apartment & once in a while had custody there of three children.The youngest was a precocious lad approaching his fourth birthday.He would sing improvised atonal lines to himself follwed by a distinct blues melody.I never saw him but my girlfriend did & could testify that he looked like Frank Zappa when he was about that age as depicted on the back cover of the 'Real Frank Zappa Book'/He would leave patterns of small stones on the ground that would suggest notation.And during temper tantrums would apply a distortion effect to his voice...My guess is that in the near future he'll surface on the Internet by means of music- composition software...That is, if there is still a world left.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:50 am 

It was in 2001, I was about to get into FZ when a TV-quiz called Toppop Yeah had a question on him. One team were given blinding goggles and a cutout of the face of a famous musician or group, in this case, they all wore Frank's face. Then they had to guess who they 'were'. One contestant asked "Have I had any hits recently?" The host replied: "No, you're dead."<br><br>I sat in front of the TV, gutted, the FZ-clip of Brown Shoes and the "Can I keep this on?" remark from a contestant couldn't console me. After the show finished, I sat at the PC, and surfed around for any information I  could find.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:20 am 

It didn´t came as a surprise cause I saw some of his latest TV interviews, and I knew that he was doomed. I was sad because he got cancer, but not because he died.<br><br>Being an "expert" in cancer (there´s a least 12 cases in my family), I was glad he died, cause living with the constant pain of cancer is worse. In Frank´s particular case, being dead and at peace is better than being alive and in daily pain.<br><br>Cancer is a terrible disease, and the best thing you can do is root for the person do die as quick as possible.<br><br>But if he was healthy and died of something like a plane accident or murdered, THEN I would be really sad and pissed.<br><br>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:59 am 

Well...actally, I never really took it all in until i saw a picture of his unmarked grave online. I teared up. It always helps to realize i'm gonna die sooner or later too, so it doesn't really matter...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:58 am 

[quote author=Martorelli link=board=legends;num=1031229228;start=60#61 date=11/10/05 at 06:20:47]It didn´t came as a surprise cause I saw some of his latest TV interviews, and I knew that he was doomed. I was sad because he got cancer, but not because he died.<br><br>Being an "expert" in cancer (there´s a least 12 cases in my family), I was glad he died, cause living with the constant pain of cancer is worse. In Frank´s particular case, being dead and at peace is better than being alive and in daily pain.<br><br>Cancer is a terrible disease, and the best thing you can do is root for the person do die as quick as possible.<br><br>But if he was healthy and died of something like a plane accident or murdered, THEN I would be really sad and pissed.<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Without doubt Frank was in a bad way but I disagree with you. Frank was a fucking inspiration while he was ill just like he was when he was well.<br><br>To think of him working on Phase 3 in his final months. Inspirational!!!<br>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:04 am 

[quote author=Ringo link=board=legends;num=1031229228;start=60#63 date=11/10/05 at 11:58:15]<br><br>Without doubt Frank was in a bad way but I disagree with you. Frank was a fucking inspiration while he was ill just like he was when he was well.<br><br>To think of him working on Phase 3 in his final months. Inspirational!!!<br>[/quote]<br><br>And what else could he do? Lie in bed and wait for death? That wasn´t like Frank. But I´m pretty sure that he suffered REAL bad all the way thru the making of the album, and that fact alone makes it even harder to listen to (although it is a good disc, I can´t stand the idea of him suffering behind that computer). <br><br>Cancer is the kind of pain that I just wish on my enemies.<br>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:10 pm 

I don't remember the details of when Zappa died, but I remember the feelings. As briefly as possible It felt like I was having my heart ripped out. I know that death is just an inevitable part of life and that it is intrinsically neither fair nor unfair, but when John Lennon died, unfairness was paramount in how I felt and unfairness squared was paramount when Zappa died. I had been a fan of FZ at least since 1974 and that 19 years was rushing before my eyes when he died.<br><br>I realised recently that I had never really dealt with it properly. I had read The Real Frank Zappa book and although it's a great book it's not a totally coherent life story. Earlier this year I read Neil Slaven's book from cover to cover and that is a very well connected life story and I cried my eyes out when I got to the end and I'm a bit wobbly right now as I recall how I felt when I put that book down again. It gave me closure, but I will always miss him deeply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:39 am 

Hello everybody. I'm new here.

I am 47 and to me FZ was one of the greatest composers I have ever heard. I have all the vinyl from Freak Out to Jazz From Hell and am constantly amazed at his virtuosity not only as a composer, but as a guitarist, humorist and band leader.

Fillmore East was my initial foray into FZ (and unusual sexual images) and the record still cracks me up.

I was sad the day he died because his music came to an end. I always thought he was a smart guy, but he had a lot of flaws (like all of us), one of the biggest was his use of tobacco.

And TOBACCO is what caused the prostate cancer.

:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:54 am 

Zappa wast he first and only star, performer, or whatever -he's so hard to label- that I ever admired and felt a strong affinity to. When I heard of his passing I was numbed. Not personally knowing a single other Zappa fan, everything that I felt had no release because no-one except another Zappa fan would understand that the man was more than some guy who wrote dirty little songs. It would have seemed like I was upset over Ronald McDonald's passing. I played every CD by him that I owned and listened to nothing else for weeks afterward. I had a large framed print from the Yellow Shark performance hanging in my computer room where I spend (too much of) my time while I'm home. I began to see suffering and pain in his eyes and his expression. It bummed me out so bad I had to take it down. I'm still not ready to put it back up. For months afterward I couldn't even say "Frank Zappa was the first muscian hero I had that passed away." without my voice locking up after saying his name. The freaky thing was I wasn't aware that he meant that much to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:15 pm 

bugler wrote:
Hello everybody. I'm new here.

I am 47 and to me FZ was one of the greatest composers I have ever heard. I have all the vinyl from Freak Out to Jazz From Hell and am constantly amazed at his virtuosity not only as a composer, but as a guitarist, humorist and band leader.

Fillmore East was my initial foray into FZ (and unusual sexual images) and the record still cracks me up.

I was sad the day he died because his music came to an end. I always thought he was a smart guy, but he had a lot of flaws (like all of us), one of the biggest was his use of tobacco.

Welcome Bugler.
Certainly tobacco is not good for you, but it is hard to say what led to his prostate cancer solely. He did drink coffee also! perhaps that did it. At least he did not use drugs...we can't blame it on that.

I started to get into Zappa around 1990. By the time he died I was huge fan, but not so entrenched that it had as huge an impact as it would have a few years later.

There are so many insigtful things he had to say. So many taboos to shatter, so many notes to cram together.

The great thing is, is that his legacy seems to be living on in far greater force than many other musicians who met an early demise. His popularity seems to be growing even larger as the years go by.

Perhaps it was Donald Rumsfeld who gave him prostate cancer. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:50 pm 

I was floored, i did not even know he was sick at the time. I discovered it on the radio while having my morning coffee, then i saw his face on the front page of 'Libération". I was in shock for a few days...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:23 pm 

I was walking down Sutter Street,San Francisco,camcorder in hand...late 1993,when a drinking pal from another lifetime told that Zappa was dead...I was sad at hearing this,of course...

Post subject: My day when Frank died
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:20 pm 

I remember it very clearly. Having been a fan since 77, and a very active tape trader in the 80s, Zappa's music had played a very big role in my life. (Some said too big.) I knew he was terminally ill, but didn't at that point follow the details that much as I was beginning a new life, starting a family, with my oldest son just approaching two years. So Zappa was put a little in the background.

But I remember the day as was it yesterday. No comparisons, but for me it was one of these things - like the Kennedy assasins where people remember forever where they were and what they were doing at the time (incidentally, I remember the day of the Robert Kennedy killing even though I was only seven). Well, it was morning in Denmark, and I was preparing to go to work. 15 minutes before going the phone rang, and it was my old buddy and fellow Zappa fan. In a slightly distracted voice he just said: "Have you heard it. Well, Zappa,..., he is dead."

I was speechless and stunned. Trying to remain calm and rational we ended the conversation after short time, exchanging phrases like "this was expected but sad", "maybe he had already made his greatest music, who knows", and the sort. The only thing at the moment that really got me upset was that the Danish Radio reported it, and they chose to play a recording of Bobby Brown from one of the Beat the Boots albums. Sounded awful, and to me, it was quite disrespectful.

Coming home from work, I spent all the evening zapping through Tv stations, trying to catch some reactions. Some German channel mentioned it, and Swedish TV had a brief interview with drummer Mats Öberg (who seemed very shocked). I was still pretty composed. But then on MTV they reported on it, and told that Frank died peacefully in his home surrounded by his family, and that he had now departed for his final tour. Those words really got to me, and tears came to my eyes. I started sobbing a little, and decided to honor the man by listening to his music. I chose Watermelon from Joe's and after it my face was covered with tears. At that moment my girlfriend came to the living room and saw me. I think that she then for the first time really understood my deep affection for Frank Zappa and his music.

Since then, Watermelon always reminds me of the day Frank died.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:28 pm 

Disappointed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:05 pm 

I did a jig and danced around the room. I was so happy.

Or course I wasn't. But I don't think there's more than a couple answers to this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:27 pm 

bugler wrote:
but he had a lot of flaws (like all of us), one of the biggest was his use of tobacco.

It's possible. I've read that your chances for recovery from cancer improve greatly if you quit using tobacco. But I think FZ admitted from time-to-time that he didn't think the warnings about tobacco use were wrong.

I smoked cigarettes for more than 20 years, and I miss them dearly. Falling in love is a stupid habit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next