Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 7:10 pm 

Heard about Warren Zevon's diagnosis last week. Having bad flashbacks to when I heard about Frank's.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 7:37 pm 

Location: Wandering aimlessly through the American wasteland...
<br>[quote author=JWFoust link=board=legends&num=1031229228&start=15#28 date=09/20/02 at 22:10:52]<br>Heard about Warren Zevon's diagnosis last week. Having bad flashbacks to when I heard about Frank's.<br>[/quote]<br>Terrible news about Mr. Zevon.  From what I've read in the last week about him, he is facing this w/ incredible courage and humor, not flinching an inch.  Under these circumstances, I'm very happy for him.  I think that Warren Zevon is one of those guys who "got it", who saw things a litter clearer than others.  I've heard it in his music, and now I see it in his person.  THAT'S THE REAL DEAL!  Bravo, Mr. Zevon!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 6:20 am 

He's taking it with a GREAT attitude.  I read somewhere that he said something like "Yeah, but it will be a real drag if I don't get to see the new James Bond movie."  That really says a lot about him as a person.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 6:35 am 

:P It was sad of course, the 20`th century lost it`s greatest composer. I longing for new releases from the Zappa trust, there are some none released compositions in his archives, so please release some new stuff please, <br><br>Otherwise Ricardo Fassio and his Tankio band has released an album with FZ, buy it if you love classical music. Even your wife will accept it<br>

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 5:01 am 

[quote author=Ronnys_Noomies link=board=legends&num=1031229228&start=30#32 date=09/22/02 at 06:09:38]<br>But, at some point there will be no more NEW music, only concerts with endless re-workings of Torture Never Stops and Black Page.<br>[/quote]<br><br>How dare you talk about the You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore series like that!  ;)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 2:24 pm 

I was out of town at my Grandfathers funeral. It was a very rough day...a cold rainy day.<br><br>I had many of the same feelings as most of you guys did.<br>I remeber thinking 'who'll tell us the truth now' <br>~<br>My Grandfather was an original and unique individual as well  :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 1:41 pm 

I was in school, having a pretty good year. It didn't seem to affect me that much at the time... I was young and there was no way to see just how for downhill things would go from there in terms of the music industry and pop-culture in America in general. Things just seem to get worse every year. <br><br>The other day I was kinda joking with a friend of mine about it. He has a kid now and we were wondering what the next generation is going to get for counter-culture when it's their time. I jokingly asked "Is a world without Frank Zappa a world even worth bringing children into?" Sometimes, I wonder a little more seriously about that when I look at the crap that passes for music anymore.   ???<br><br>I can't even listen to "Watermelon in East Hay" these days.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 10:16 am 

A friend called me early on the day after Zappa passed away (I had not heard yet) and said "I'm so sorry." Me: "Sorry about what?" Friend: "Frank Zappa died yesterday." A long silence and then I hung up. Cried for a good hour, went to another friends house (another Zappa fiend) and he and I just listened to the albums the rest of the day, stunned in silence. I tell you what, folks, never before or sense have I been effected and moved by someone I never even met or got to see perform. Frank's music and words influence everything I do. About a year after I had a very vivid dream about Frank. I had been putting together my own home recording studio and was confused on how to hook some stuff up. In the dream Frank told me how to do what I needed to accomplish in the studio. I asked him "Was it worth it, your life, all that you did?" and he said "Absolutely. You need to do the same. Do what you want to do. Pay no attention to what anybody says." <br><br>I went into the studio the next day remembering what he said to do and it worked perfectly. <br><br>I don't know if those words and advice came from me or him, but I remember them and try to live by what he said everyday. Thanks, Frank.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 8:57 pm 

Wow. Like it was yesterday and like it was a million years ago. Actually, the day he passed, I was waiting with my nephew for a Xmas parade to start through the center of our town, so I took a picture of him with the sunsetting behind him. I live in California, so it was just before 6:00P.M.<br>It's weird to have a snapshot at around the exact time he died.<br>                                   The first time I actually heard about it was on Monday, someone came on with the terrible news...I think it was Kurt Loder on MTV--he seemed to be choking back tears...I threw the remote across the sofa and cried out "No!" I knew he had been diagnosed back in at least 1990, but he seemed to be hanging in there quite well(it was'nt till years later I saw a pic of him close to the end,sunken cheeks,like a skeleton with a beard.Chilling.)...but to no avail.I immediately called a friend who knew I was a huge fan, and just cried into the phone, "Frank Zappa is dead!" He was so sweet about it, but I had to hang up 'cuz I could'nt talk anymore.<br>                                   After that, I just went through the day, I really did'nt want my family to see how I felt somehow. I've been a fan since I was 12 (1974), and now he had left for that final tour.It was'nt until a few days later that it REALLY hit me. I was listening to a tape by a group called The Sundays (remember them?) and they did a nice version of The Stones' tune "Wild Horses" The lead singer has a sweet, plaintive voice, and I thought what if the Zappa family heard this song? Would they relate to it? It seemed to fit. I was in the bathroom getting ready for the day, when I looked up in the mirror and realized that there were tears streaming down my face and I was shaking from crying so much! Truely horrible.<br>                                      There were two songs out at the time (I think) , and everytime I heard them, I thought of Frank. Soundgarden's "Black Hole Sun" (possibly how he thought of his disease...but mainly the guitar solo...vintage '77-'78 FZ noodling) and Seal's "Kiss From a Rose" (the beginning felt like something he might've done in the late 60's). These  songs still make me smile in remembrance. We all miss ya guy...See ya at the Big Note.........Diane .......Santa Maria,CA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 5:43 am 

:DI SOLD ALL YOUR RYCODISK CATALOG IN THE NEXT FIVE YEARS. :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 11:26 am 

I heard about Frank's passing the following day while at work at a Kinko's in Atlanta.  I was crushed - I really believed he was gonna beat the cancer, I really thought he'd pull through.<br>It was tough to go on with my stupid day, doing a stupid job, pondering giving up music myself.  Ugh.  Nothing like a tragedy to feature one's hurt.<br><br>He had so much more music to make, and so many more ideas to share - that is evident in his last works I think.  He was young at 53 (close?), and so full of vitality and vision!<br><br>I think of Frank whenever I see or hear something that he would have commented on - God, I wish he could have lived to see the Stones touring this year!  Can you imagine what he'd say?!  All these jokers from his generation still doing their rock-star routines, and no Frank to enlighten us.  It's a goddamn pile o crap, people.<br>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 11:41 am 

I'll make sure to check back on this post for the semi-official FZ Observation Period starting Dec. 4.<br>It's cool to see that no matter how the regulars on this forum go at each other in other posts, at least we all agree that Frank Zappa's special kind of art is something so important that we can criticize, argue and analyze til the end of the world but still feel the same basic things: loss and wonder.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 7:47 am 

I was BUMMED.<br>I went home and listened to Sofa no 2.<br>My eulogy song.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 9:01 am 

Bummed, downtrodden, distraught, etc.. Mostly I kept it to myself, but I made a point of listening to the Weasels Ripped My Flesh album to the annoyance of my x. Shit! He was gonna run for president!  I remember telling friends who could not understand why it was such a big deal.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 3:47 pm 

:'( :'( :'( I remeber feeling like an end of an era.  I was bummed out in school for quite a few days.  I reneber tearing up when he was inducted in the Hall of Fame.  Man he was one of my inspirations for not going with the flow.   What a great man with a great family!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 6:42 am 

I was living in Texas at the time.  First I felt disbelief, then sadness followed by anger.  I couldn't believe that he had passed away even though I was aware of his situation.  I was afraid that the music would stop.  I was angry that modern science was unable to save the man's life.  I cried, called some of my fellow FZ fans and then called 818 PUMPKIN and listened to "Watermelon in Easter Hay" playing and cried again.  I listened to FZ every day for several years afterward.  I still listen regularly and eagerly await releases from the ZFT/Vaults.  No more tears. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 5:35 pm 

A guy at work who knew I was into Zappa came by my desk and told me.  I knew the day was coming being aware of his illness but I was sad, of course.  I went back to my apartment for lunch and turned on a local rock station to see what they would have to say.  Well, they did acknowledge his passing and even played a tribute song.  Guess what they played.  SMOKE ON THE FUCKIN' WATER.  I was so pissed.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:09 pm 

In spite I wasn't a Zappa fanatic at the time, I remember this moment precisely ... We were having the dinner in front of the 8p.m. news and the presenter made an anouncement, we saw a very short excerpt of a strange film (I figure it was a bit of Baby Snakes, it had all those things morphing into each other very fast - à la Bickford, with these strange, fast guitar notes underneath). Whereas I was young, I remember saying to me 'I couldn't stand music like that' it seemed too complex for me but I had a lot of respect, because I knew he was an important man in music. <br>  I think it's pretty much how (non-FZ fan) people consider FZ ... They know his name, they know his music was weird and complex, they respect him, but they don't know much and that's a pity ... :'(

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:29 pm 

Early in the day... somehow, I was told. Maybe the local news cast. Maybe a friend. I don't remember because I blacked it out.<br>     That night my Brother phoned. I was away at school and living for the 1st time in my 1st flat with room mates. My main concerns had to do with girls, writing music, getting wasted and band practice. My younger Brother was never a big FZ fan, but he knew Frank meant the world to me.<br>     I was touched by his attempt to make me feel better. But (in a nice way) I blew it off. I mean, hey! I'm trying to get my music and sex life going! I can't be bogged down by the death of an idol. Screw that noise. People die. Get over it.<br>     The strange thing was that I knew FZ was sick, I was digging "Yellow Shark"... and yet was so wrapped up in my own crap that I really didn't care that Zappa had died.<br>     Sure I was self-absorbed but I was also pissed. Fuck Frank for dying. I was in my early 20's and death seemed like something so alien that it wasn't important. Besides, he left us with 1000's of hours of music that were yet to be released. Heck, at that point I only had about half of the material he let loose while he was alive.<br>     About 5 years after FZ's demise... it hit me. Frank was dead. No longer among the living. And yet, in that half decade, he was always with me. Informing my life choices and influencing my art.<br>      I don't feel guilty that I enjoyed my own life during this period in history. However, I wish I'd felt more for the passing of my icon.<br>      Today, I listen to bits of FZ's work and I weep. Any versions of "Duke", parts of "Yellow Shark", "Uncle Meat"... great googly moogly. "Peaches" ALWAYS breaks my heart.<br>     I miss Frank every day. I'm agnostic, but when I come up against tough questions in everyday life, I often ask myself "what would Frank do?".<br>     I can't fathom what Zappa would do... I've played my cards and I am living my dream. Yet, I can't help but think I am here because I identify with what Frank Zappa fought for.<br>      I just wish I understood his impact on my life when he ditched this mortal coil. Just for my own peice of mind.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next