Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:00 pm 

HJ wrote:
Some German channel mentioned it, and Swedish TV had a brief interview with drummer Mats Öberg (who seemed very shocked).

The drummer is Morgan Ågren. Mats Öberg plays the keyboards. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:45 am 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
HJ wrote:
Some German channel mentioned it, and Swedish TV had a brief interview with drummer Mats Öberg (who seemed very shocked).

You are, of course, right. Thanks for the correction and sorry to Mats and Morgan. I did the drum thing right, in the sense that it was Morgan I saw on TV.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:43 am 

HJ wrote:
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
HJ wrote:

You are, of course, right. Thanks for the correction and sorry to Mats and Morgan. I did the drum thing right, in the sense that it was Morgan I saw on TV.

Shortly after Zappa's death, the 'serious' radio channel in Sweden, P2, had a two hour special about him. Mats and Morgan were special guests, they more or less co-hosted it. And Mats played some beautiful piano renditions of Zappa's music right there in the studio. It was awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:58 am 

In that time I was working for Ameublement Tanguay...the compagnie that Gail sued for the "Watermelon In Easter Hay" case.

One guy who know that I was a rare Zappa fan in that compagnie came to me and told me hey!! Do you know the new about Zappa? I said no...what? He's dead!!

I know that this guy use to be serious but I automatictly think that he make me a joke. I didn't believe him and I waiting in the truck on the road for the radio news. They confirmed.

I tryed all day in the truck, when I was in, to ear the news again for another version that tell it was a joke but it never happen.

When I come back to home I watched the news again and recorded all the sad TV news about FZ.

Still that day I don't believe it because Frank told one time in the black and white talk show in Australia 1974 I think, that the think we ear about him is probably not true.

But I won't go much far because some answer from this treath made me crying and I don't want to hurt the Zappa fan with my theory about Frank Zappa's death.

"Mourir est le privilège des gens qui sont épuisés. Les compositeurs d'aujourd'hui refusent de mourir". (Edgar Varèse)

Je suis désolé pour les roles que j'ai joué dans toutes ces videos, ce n'est pas tres valorisant pour l'humanité mais si cela peut avoir fait progresser la science, alors il y aura eu un coté positif.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:30 pm 

you know, like that thing about a loose in your life...a big loose,
like going thrut negation justification angry depretion, and then again...
and then the dj's came in, fuck, why you die? there's not really no one to replace you, all bullshit and imitations

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:55 am 

I thought, "HOLY SHIT! MY EARS ARE CRYING!" I'm pretty sure that's what I said to my roomate at the time. I drank a bottle of SOCo that night. Needless to say I thought I was dead the next morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:40 am 

As stated in other posts, I knew Frank was going to die. When the news of his passing was announced, it still came as a shock. I listened to his music all that day.
I had feelings of being very pissed off, sense of loss, and sadness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:23 am 

bugler wrote:
Hello everybody. I'm new here.

I am 47 and to me FZ was one of the greatest composers I have ever heard. I have all the vinyl from Freak Out to Jazz From Hell and am constantly amazed at his virtuosity not only as a composer, but as a guitarist, humorist and band leader.

Fillmore East was my initial foray into FZ (and unusual sexual images) and the record still cracks me up.

I was sad the day he died because his music came to an end. I always thought he was a smart guy, but he had a lot of flaws (like all of us), one of the biggest was his use of tobacco.

And TOBACCO is what caused the prostate cancer. :shock:

a book i recently read about Zappa, Zappa: A Biography by Barry Miles on page 363, stated that the malignant tumor had grown for 8 to 10 years before it was detected. by the time it was discovered, it was too late. :cry: the book doesn't mention, nor have i heard, if it was missed in previous health check-up or if he was just too busy to take as good a care of himself as he should have. i know it's recommended that annual prostrate exams should be done when a man gets to age 50, but with Frank, his tumor was discovered in May, 1990 (same source) and it was already growing for 8 to 10 years meaning it began when he was in his early 40s. i could see it being missed because it isn't looked for at that age. i do know that his passing at age 53 from prostrate cancer motivated me to get checked and to continue being tested every year for it. kind of a strange tribute to him, i guess, but i'm sure he'd find humor in it. (does humor belong in a proctological examination? :roll: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:16 pm 

I heard in the morningnews that Frank had left for his last tour. I called my work and said I was sick.

I have remotespeakers in my garage and put all YCDTOSTA cd´s in the player, cranked up the volume and went out to the garage. I was sitting there all day, all alone. That was my farewell to Frank. Each time the player came to vol 5, disc 2, and Whats´s new in Baltimore and Rednzl where Frank plays some of his best solos, I cried like a baby.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:10 pm 

I actually knew the end was near, so I wasn't too surprised.

Here's the deal: back then I was trying to produce a video music show that featured groups and acts from around the world who couldn't get their videos played here in the states. I'd put in a couple of notes and calls to Barking Pumpkin, and didn't hear anything until I'd given up on trying to find stations willing to play the show.

Anyway, on Nov. 30 or Dec. 1 '93, I get a phone call from Mark Holdum, a guy who worked at BP at the time, asking if I was still doing the show and if I was interested in some "Yellow Shark" videos. Like an IDIOT I said no, I'm not doing the show anymore, and then I inquired to Frank's health at the moment.

Dead silence for like 15 seconds until I said, "Not good, eh?"

Holdum: Nope.

Me: Oh, boy. Well, give the family my best.

Holdum: I'll do that.

So anyway, I wake up Monday morning and the rock station I woke up to, which NEVER played Zappa, and still doesn't to this day, is playing "Camarillo Brillo." So that's when I knew for sure. People called me all day long asking if I was okay. And I was. Because I knew it was coming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:04 am 

He is not gone, although I remember sending a note to Gail expressing my sadness and sympathy. I have listened to FZ for the last 30+ years and he is still there to guide me with a holistic view of the world; no, this does not mean I saw him at the local 7-11.

Music is the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:33 am 

4th Dec is my birthday. I remember I was driving to work when I heard it on the news. I felt really sad all day ... kept playing some of my fav tunes over in my head. I was suprised to see an announcement on the BBC news that night about it also. Funny, that it was this first time I had thought of him as a family man.
But even now I (just your average everyday 30 something guy sat at work typing away) can recal his image and voice and his music. To that music I have sentiemental attachments that can help me through a day or anything that happens to get me down. There is a power in that I think. So "Thanks Frank. Love the music."

Post subject: Frank's life by me
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:12 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:47 pm 

well being 10 months old.. i didnt know he was. but now.. its sad because i look at all of his stuff and i j ust want to hug him. and it pisses me off he's burried in an unmarked grave. i live like 10 minutes away from wear hes burried so ill leve a woodcarving when i go there sometime soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:30 pm 

i was like 8 years old, i was probably watching ninja turtles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:21 pm 

BizarroHesh wrote:
Certainly tobacco is not good for you, but it is hard to say what led to his prostate cancer solely. He did drink coffee also! perhaps that did it. At least he did not use drugs...we can't blame it on that.

both nicotine and caffeine are addictive drugs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:33 am 

I was born just a few months before... :cry:

Last edited by Tinseltown_Banana on Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:05 pm 

wow! youre even younger than me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:15 pm 

I could not go to work that day....I still cry from time to time like right now...Frank was very special to me...I met him four times...and he booked the St Patricks day 1988 show for me...at my request that he play the Broome county arena after a 17 year no show...He was impressed that we drove five hours for the Feb 2,1988 opening night of the tour at the Palace theartre in Albany NY...He promised me a surprise as he snapped my self adressed envelope in my face and said "Look I have it right here!"....two weeks later the show was announced...I then met him in 1991 at a book signing and my friend snapped a pic of me talking to Frank.............At 4:00a.m. on dec 6th 1993 a friend called said he got the early edition of the newspaper and that the top read that Frank had passed....I told my brother "I cannot work today"...He said "I totally understand".....The very next night we went and saw Steve Vai on Dec 7th at a place called the button south I spoke with Scott Thunes and brought an artpeice I was working on A Zappa tribute...Scott brought me backstage to show it to Steve.....That night they said some kind words about Frank..and played miss pinky :( .....................ZAPPA PETE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:07 am 

Well... I was about 9 years old, and I didn't konow any of Frank's doings..

But since I was about 16-17 years old, I was looking forward for any of FZ records, I was still thinking, that he's alive...

Now, I know that he's not with us, but his spirit smiles above us- his fans..

Everytymie I watch a clip of FZ song I always cry, I don't know if it's of happines, or saddnes, that I wasn't able to watch him during his life..

Post subject: Re: Frank's life by me
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:02 am 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:04 pm 

dean wrote:
A guy at work who knew I was into Zappa came by my desk and told me.  I knew the day was coming being aware of his illness but I was sad, of course.  I went back to my apartment for lunch and turned on a local rock station to see what they would have to say.  Well, they did acknowledge his passing and even played a tribute song.  Guess what they played.  SMOKE ON THE FUCKIN' WATER.  I was so pissed.

This was my comment in 2002.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:39 pm 

I like reading through these old threads just to see the forum members of yesteryear.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:31 am 

I know Mr Rope is a conspiracy theorist of sorts. Why was Shark Barker's post in this thread deleted? If by him, then that's fine, but why was jimmyzen's quote of that post also deleted? Of course, jimmyzen may have had his own reasons to delete his comment on the quote along with the quote itself.

How would I know? When you quote a post it also quotes the subject and Shark Barker changed the subject - so it stands out. Most people either don't bother to change the original thread title, which is the default subject when creating a post, or just delete it altogether.

Why do I care? I don't. I just got curious, as there is so little of interest going on here anyhow.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:06 am 

polydigm wrote:
Why was Shark Barker's post in this thread deleted?

Well, it was eaten by snakes.