Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Drummers
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:23 am 

Is that such a bad thing that he emulates others?? He's addmited it himself, admitted his influences. He grew up around some of the most famous drummers of all time, and played virtually from when he was able to walk. That aint a bad thing in my book chief. I think that actually, the majority of Musicians, whether they be drummers, bass players or Guitarists, started off emulating someone or other. Thats what influence is all about and I personally don't see it as a bad thing. Without Carter Beauford, I wouldn't know who the hell Buddy Rich was, and he, in my opinion is one of the greats. Carter Beauford was the person who I first heard mention Buddy Rich and so I looked him up. <br>Even FZ had his influences...and Im pretty sure FZ is on your list of influences too. He's certainly on mine.   :)<br>Chill........<br>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:53 am 

Look, you know nothing about me, what I like, dislike, except what I have posted on here. We all have opinions, I just choose not to shove mine down anyones throat and insist that Im right and you are wrong.....<br>Do you have to be so insulting?? That aint what it's about is it?? It's just a discussion m8, chill.....please, before you do yourself serious injury, or worse still, before someone else does....  :-*<br>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:05 am 

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=legends;num=1072427102;start=135#137 date=12/07/04 at 07:59:37]<br><br>So, you've met jaypfunk... well, don't worry too much about him. He's an idiot. <br>We're not all like him. He's definitely one of a kind...  ::)<br>[hr]<br>Welcome to the Forum.  8)[/quote]<br><br>Hellooooo! Cheers my friend, thats real kind of ya! <br>I've been visiting the FZ site for ages now but never actually registered on the form, thought it was about time I did.  8)<br>You been coming on here for a while?? <br>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:53 am 

[quote author=jaypfunk link=board=legends;num=1072427102;start=135#140 date=12/07/04 at 09:26:37]<br>Image<br>[/quote]<br><br>I'd hit it.<br>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:11 am 

[quote author=timmo82 link=board=legends;num=1072427102;start=135#146 date=12/07/04 at 13:33:24]Chad didn't use that electronic shit in '88 right ??? <br>Well it sounds like it to me from MAJNH and Best Band, he has a great, full sound on those albums, I'm not too familiar with the 81/2 sound he had.[/quote]<br>in 88 he had an acoustic drumset, and the same in 81-82.  he only used the electronic drums because frank wanted him to in 84.  but he did use a real bass drum and snare and cymbals with elec toms.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:26 am 

[quote author=xyqa link=board=legends;num=1072427102;start=135#149 date=12/08/04 at 14:06:52]<br><br>my dad took me to see buddy rich when i was around 10 y.o.,  he was playing at a swank hotel on miami beach...<br><br>welcome asparagus to our zappa home 8)<br>glad you made it official ;D<br><br>i do think you were born too late, every once in a while i feel like that too and i'm a 57'er so i can only imagine your despair ;)<br><br>xyqa[/quote]<br><br>You lucky, lucky bunny!!!!! I would have loved that at age 10!! Thats why Im trying now, with my 8 year old to influence her as much as I can and introduce her to the whole experience of going to Gigs and how great it is. I know she's only young, but to involve her in something I love and find important, and get so much out of, I reckon will only be of benefit to her. She has been surrounded by music from when she was born, and it is a huge influence even now, she's obsessed with keyboards and drums and wanders around the house singing.... She even had a go at her own lyrics last month!!! It was some other bands tune but she had put her own cute words to it! <br>I caught her trying to sing along to "Yellow Snow" the other day, she didnt know the words, but ya gotta give her ten outta ten for trying! She said it made her laugh....  ;D<br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:34 pm 

Two drummers I should have mentioned:<br><br>Jack DeJohnette<br>Joey Baron<br><br>Image

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:55 am 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:38 am 

For me the best who played with Frank were Chester Thompson, Terry Bozzio and Aynsley Dunbar, in general Frank always had very good drummers<br><br>One drummer I saw live long time ago at the Savoy in NYC in 1982 with Al di Meola was Simon Phillips, I've never heard about him but I was looking more at him rather than Al.<br><br>What about Sly Dunbar...<br><br>The duet Pat Mastelotto and Bill Bruford<br><br>This is me with Carl Palmer, a very good drummer one of the best I have seen live, backstage, teaching  and rehearsing<br><br>The photo was taken during an interview I conducted with him and his band including Shaun Baxter doing real STRAT ABUSE playing all the Emerson parts with great arrangements using only his old fender strat and let me tell ya... one of the best guitar players I have seen<br><br>Image<br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:27 pm 

Image<br>Tim "Herb" Alexander<br><br>Hey everybody.  I'm new here.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:15 am 

Terry Bozzio and Chad Wackerman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:30 am 

Emerson parts in guitar arrangements?  Woah.  I'd like to hear Tarkus then.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:02 am 

It's available as an OFFICIAL release at Carl Palmer's website. There are two CDs recorded live with the same band. I know there's a recording of the shows here but of bad sound quality so I do recommend you these couple of CDs (I have the first only).<br><br>Image<br><br>Image<br><br>Visit Carl Palmer website at http://www.carlpalmer.com/

Post subject: RIP Spencer Dryden
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:37 pm 

Talking about drummers I have some very sad news to deliver here folks: <br><br>Spencer Dryden passed away last night.<br><br>http://www.spencerdryden.com/<br><br>He was not a great drummer but was the guy behind Jefferson Airplane in the good old days before they switched to Jefferson Starship and later to the worst case Starship <br><br>He was a very nice guy and a great drummer<br>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:04 pm 

This quote (excerpt) was posted by Phil Collins hisself on the Genesis forum, Feb 20, 2005:<br><br>"The best examples of 2 drummers playing as one are Jim Keltner and Jim Gordon on Joe thingyers Mad Dogs and Englishmen live album, Keltner and Ringo at the Bangla Desh concert and Chester playing with Ralph Humphrey on Zappa's live Roxy and Elsewhere album. This incidentally is where I got the idea that Chester would be good in Genesis, not from his playing with Weather Report....."<br><br>Notice how they don't allow you to say "cock", even if it's Phil Collins and even if it's the name Joe Cocker...unbelieveable...<br><br>But I digress...pretty cool quote, eh? <br>

>You don't.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:59 am 

[quote author=CheepnisAroma link=board=legends;num=1072427102;start=135#149 date=12/26/04 at 00:34:42]Two drummers I should have mentioned:<br><br>Jack DeJohnette<br>Joey Baron<br><br>Image[/quote]<br>Yes man, agreed. Joey Barons work with Zorn is ALL amazing.......

Post subject: Drummers
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:12 am 
Banned

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:06 am 

Christian Vander
Max Roach
Tony Williams
Charles Hayward
Jaki Liebezeit

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next