Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 6:36 am 

In a 1994 TV documentairy I saw Frank with his white beard, around summer of of 93, conducting the Ensemble Modern for the last time in the L.A. studio. A piece calles PULL MY FINGER or so. Does anybody know about these sessions? <br>And: I read about The Chieftians and Johnny Guitar Watson being there too around the same time. What happened there and are there any clues to it???

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 6:10 am 

I've seen that BBC doco! Apparently FZ used to have 'soirées' at his house. I have a feeling that some of the Tuvan throat singers' stuff was sampled and ended up on Civilisation Phase III - just guessing though. If you're into that throat singing stuff, there's a Kronos Quartet album that features them as well - it came out in about the mid-90s but it's been so long since I've listened to it that I couldn't tell you what it's called.<br><br>I think it would have taken a bit of work on FZ's part to arrange this bizarre collection of sounds into a work he'd want to release, but I do recall that doco featuring a good chunk of the old hymn 'Bringing in the Sheaves', as jammed by those men from Tuva, and Johnny Guitar Watson. Continuity conceptualists will recognise the melody of that particular hymn as appearing at the end of 'Friendly Little Finger', forming a segue into 'Wino Man' on the album Zoot Allures; it is also quoted - along with many other hymns - in the song 'Jesus Thinks You're a Jerk' on Broadway the Hard Way. At the end of the performance in that doco, Johnny Guitar Watson, no doubt improvising on an aural pun of bringing in 'sheep', rather than 'sheaves', gives us a couple of 'baaaas'. It would be most unlike Zappa not to have recorded the proceedings…

--

http://standanddeliver.blogs.com
http://www.radiohaha.com.au

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 9:27 am 

The only thing I really know about it, is the fact that the album is off print from rd catalogue. It's a big shame, cause the album is wonderful. :'(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 10:50 am 

note to 'scret nigel': you, sir, are CORRECT! The tuvan singers were sampled on Civilization Phaze III; also listen, it's disc two, not too far from the top, the bizarre mouth noises followed by an "infumt's" joyful laughter. This album, izzit like this for you? is incredibly dense, after 2/3 mos., I'm just getting; EG: "N-Lite"; disc two is data overload of the sort that tends to put me to sleep -& that is a GOOD thing.<br>[Ben Watson, despite his unfortunate habit of polemicising, the Adornoite/Marxist trip etc., WAS right when he said(admitted?) "finally someone in rock did it ('serious' music) better".]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:12 am 

zliq wrote:
In a 1994 TV documentairy I saw Frank with his white beard, around summer of of 93, conducting the Ensemble Modern for the last time in the L.A. studio. A piece calles PULL MY FINGER or so. Does anybody know about these sessions? <br>And: I read about The Chieftians and Johnny Guitar Watson being there too around the same time. What happened there and are there any clues to it???

yes someone has put ıt on YouTube around the 41 mınutes mark, wonder if it's connected with the Varese sessions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il3gEdWnthQ