Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Allman Brothers Band
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:01 am 

Saw their 200th show at the Beacon Theatre last night. They were way better than I expected. Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes were very very good. Dr. John sat in for a few.

Post subject: Re: Allman Brothers Band
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:10 am 

Derek is monster on slide, his band is brilliant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:42 am 

The Allmans seem to have a knack for attracting talented guitarists. Warren is awsome, but who would have suspected that young Trucks would have turned out to be the great gutiarist he has become? I don't think it is nepotism that he has a spot in the line-up. He has proven he deserves it. He was even touring with Clapton for a while and exchanging licks onstage. Isn't that a dream come true for a young up and coming guitar player?

I am curious about the rift between Dickie Betts and Gregg Allman that resulting in his being fired from the band. Gregg claims that Betts' guitar chops are not what they used to be. Upon firing Betts, he told him to just listen to the tapes, to which Betts resopnded he found no problem with the playing on the tapes.

I know Betts had a problem with alcohol that may have affected his playing, but he seems to continue working and I have heard of no one else say anything negative about his guitar playing. Betts stepped up in the early 70's after Duane died and almost appeared to have taken a leadrship role in the band. He was writing big hits and singing lead on Rambin' Man, and Blue Sky, as well as writing and playing guitar on several instrumentals like Jessica. During that time the attention seemed to be on him more than on Gregg, who had drug problems of his own that resulted in his turning states evidence to avoid jail and the breakup of the band for a while. Has Betts' skills deteriated, or is Allman just tired of him and maybe a little jealous?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:27 pm 

ALLMAN BROS' DICKEY BETTS
IN CRITICAL CONDITION AFTER ACCIDENT ...
WILL UNDERGO BRAIN SURGERY

http://m.tmz.com/#!article/2018/09/19/the-allman-brothers-bands-dickey-betts-needs-brain-surgery/

Dickey Betts -- one of the founding members of The Allman Brothers Band -- has been hospitalized after suffering a head injury at his home in Sarasota, Florida.

Betts was playing with the family dog in his backyard Monday when he slipped and cracked his head in a "freak accident," causing bleeding from the brain ... according to a statement shared on his band's website and social media.

Dickey's reportedly been sedated and is listed in critical but stable condition, and is scheduled for brain surgery Friday to relieve swelling.

Betts' wife, Donna, and his children are by his side, and Donna says ... "Dickey is a notorious fighter and he is displaying that now!”

The legendary musician is best known as a singer and lead guitarist for The Allman Bros., and he's also the songwriter of 2 of their biggest hits -- "Jessica" and "Ramblin' Man."

He was currently touring with his Dickey Betts Band, but had to cancel shows last month due to a mild stroke. According to his manager, he was recovering well and was excited to get back on stage for scheduled gigs in November.

Due to his accident, those shows have now been canceled as well.

Get well, Dickey!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:42 pm 

^^ Oh SHIT!
Man (not that it means anything,but) I was just dipping back into the Eat a Peach album this week.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:37 pm 

Get well soon, Dickey.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:20 am 

ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND GUITARIST DICKEY BETTS ‘DOING GREAT’ FOLLOWING BRAIN SURGERY

https://www.wsbradio.com/news/national/allman-brothers-band-guitarist-dickey-betts-doing-great-following-brain-surgery/uMkAQNNErjjUnF5ZO9IV3J/

Dickey Betts is continuing an optimistic road to recovery.

The Allman Brothers Band guitarist, 74, underwent brain surgery on Friday following an accident last week when he slipped and “cracked his head” while playing with the family dog.

Betts’ manager, David Spero, posted a note on the musician’s website Wednesday from Betts’ wife, Donna, that said, “Off the respirator and doing great! Talking, laughing and, of course, complaining! We thank you all for your love and prayers. He still has a ways to go.”

The family has been keeping fans apprised of Betts’ status throughout the ordeal, including a Friday update on the website that the surgery to address the bleeding from Betts’ brain was successful.

The Florida-based Betts was recently recovering well from a mild stroke that occurred in August and planning to perform a spate of rescheduled concert dates in November. Those shows have now been canceled.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:44 am 

*sigh of relief
When I clicked on this page, I was a little nervous and was hoping for the best, thinking "please don't be bad news." So glad Dickie is back on the mend.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:48 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYzgH4pcAKA

jack pearson on the flying A!