Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:16 am 

Just a question......THE RESIDENTS are ,just now, putting out yet another "career spanning" box set! Is there really anyone wild enough about these people to warrant another 4 CD retrospective? I have to say it's cheap enough in price.....but, I also have to say, "Again??"!

Maybe it's for the "beginners"? But after many of the real "lost" items (the Warners albums, etc. ) of their catalog have been "leaked" out ,and/or issued over the last few years....why another box set? Maybe I'm just old and jaded? But didn't they just ,within the last few years, leave "physical releases" behind? In any case.....here they come again........."snooze".....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:44 pm 

I just knew it! They are a bit of "old news". Their newest album seemed interesting.....but,it hasn't been the same at least since the 1980's! :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:39 am 

Yeah, I'm a Residents fan 8) I loved The Ghost Of Hope. I'm also really dying to see their upcoming film "Double Trouble" even though it appears (from the only trailer so far) to be feeding off camp (compared to the surrealism of Vileness Fats and many of their various videos)

In a way, they're just like Zappa in the sense that their first 12-15 years where raw, very 'experimental' and innovative compared to both of their later stuff which tends to be far more polished and fixed in style.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:04 am 

I became a Residents fan in the late '70's. I first noticed their name in the liner notes for an album by another artist, including them in a list with Harry Partch, Moondog and Sun Ra as examples of American music mavericks. As a fan of the aforementioned artists, I had to check out the Residents. The first five or six albums absolutely floored me.
I am a rabid fan of their music up to Mark of the Mole. After that, they started to lose me.
I did see them in Montreal for the 13th Anniversary show, which I loved. And a year ago last April, I was in Montreal again for the Shadowland tour. I went to this show because they were showing "The Theory Of Obscurity" documentary, plus I was curious to see what The Residents were up to after all these years. I loved the documentary, but was disappointed with the Residents concert. The theatre they were performing in was a tad run down and a touch seedy. It struck me as a fall from grace for the boys. I thought their glory days were definitely behind them.
However, I still think they are much more interesting than a lot of bands operating today, and will always check out what they're up to.
As a sidebar to this, shortly after getting into the Residents, I also got into Renaldo and the Loaf. They were often described as "a British Residents". Plus, they were also on Ralph Records, so I was keen to check them out as well. In the last two years , I've picked up all the Renaldo/Loaf re-issues on the Klanggalerie label, the most recent being the "Title In Limbo" deluxe edition, the Renaldo and the Loaf/Residents collaboration from the early '80's. If you love early Residents, and don't know about Renaldo/Loaf, check them out.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:02 pm 

I worked with a guy in the 90s who I would talk to about music. He said once that he "used to" listen to the Residents. I didn't get it. For me, the only people who turned their back on music were people who listened to disposable music like Cyndi Lauper or nsync. I could see how someone could like such things because their friends did or it was playing everywhere they went. But, The Resdients? Imo, it seemed like if someone went down that rabbit hole, they weren't likely to turn their back on it.
It seems that some people stop listening to The Residents when they hear an album that is markedly different from the previous one that they liked alot or maybe they cover a topic thats a bit tooooo unsettling. But, one of the things I like about The Residents is that they are not afraid to cover new ground or extra-weird ground. Some say that quality waned over the years. Not imo. They just morphed into something that some don't enjoy. I certainly like some albums more than others and I've been weirded out by many Residents albums. But, I always to end up finding that I like what they did. Creativity ain't always pretty.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:38 am 

One thing I love about the Residents, which often isn't the case for the more "bizarre" music groups, is that their music is "weird" and they have the very strikingly unique stage shows and all, yet their lyrics are always really deep and emotionally driven. The story format of many of their songs also grow a sympathy for the subject matter (which can often be horrific and existential). Their juxtaposition is always effective.
Also, just like Frank himself did, they're been constantly reinventing themselves throughout their career. And that's good to see! :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:40 am 

To add to that though, for a band that wear eyeball and Santa outfits; they sing about a lot of really serious and important real life stuff (even in the story format songs).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:40 am 

Thatfabulousalien wrote:
One thing

heh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:58 pm