Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:56 pm 

Quote:
Nearly 25 years after his death, Frank Zappa will return to the stage as a hologram for a series of concerts with his former sidemen. The first concerts – produced by Eyellusion, which previously created a touring Ronnie James Dio hologram – will take place in late 2017 with more to be announced next year. The main event, the date for which has yet to be announced, will be a full-on staging of Zappa's three-act rock opera Joe's Garage – about a young guitarist seduced by rock stardom, groupies and all the vices that come with it – with the hologram performing Zappa's role of the Central Scrutinizer.

Ahmet Zappa, co-trustee of the Zappa Family Trust, said in a statement that former members of his father's pioneering underground-rock band the Mothers of Invention, including multi-instrumentalist Ian Underwood, guitarist Denny Walley and woodwind player Napoleon Murphy Brock, were on board, as well as a slew of Zappa's "stunt guitarists" – Steve Vai, Adrian Belew, Mike Keneally and Warren Cuccurullu – bassists Scott Thunes and Arthur Barrow and drummer Vinnie Colaiuta.

"I'm thrilled that Frank Zappa will finally be going back out on tour playing his most well-known music as well as some rare and unheard material," Ahmet said. "We can't wait to bring his creative work back to the stage with the musicians he loved to play with ... who are committed to being part of this epic endeavor. When I spoke with them, they were excited at the prospect of performing alongside Frank once again and can't wait to give fans an unforgettable experience."

He also opined that he'd like to see hologram collaborations with some of his siblings, who have been bitterly feuding with him. "Also, how radical would it be to have Moon singing 'Valley Girl' onstage with Frank?" he said. "Or to see Dweezil side by side with our father playing dueling guitar solos? That would be my greatest wish and I look forward to bringing this special celebration of Frank's legacy to a town near you."

interesting idea, I may go to see this.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... rs-w504727

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:03 pm 

Sign Me Up!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:47 pm 

:shock:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:06 am 

FZ talked about 3D holographic technology in the Zappa Book, about having a little 3d presentation on your coffee table. The far right candidate for the french elections used the tech during an election rally. The consensus was that it seemed quite "Cheesy", which in France, would make sense of course.

I dont know if id pay to see this. I was Lucky enough to see Zappa in concert a few times and I doubt that this ersatz will come close to that experience. But wtf do I know, i'm just an old zappa fan.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:38 pm 

Joe's Garage... is Ike on board???

hope so

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:24 pm 

Holograms don't perform.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:08 am 

Is this Phase Two of not letting Dweezil perform Frank's music? DZ has made it quite clear he isn't interested in this. I find it kind of creepy, but I found Dweezil "playing along" with FZ's video image okay for some reason. Did anyone see the concert they did with a hologram of Ronnie James Dio? Was it any good? I'm not interested in going to see this, but if other people are, fine. Supposedly, there have been so many people who've posted negative comments on some of the musicians profiles that they decided not to perform. If this is true, that's not the way to go. Let them do what they want, but to me, it's not Frank. I was lucky to see him live already, and Dweezil at least four times. That'll do me fine.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:29 am 

dove_grey wrote:
Is this Phase Two of not letting Dweezil perform Frank's music? DZ has made it quite clear he isn't interested in this. I find it kind of creepy, but I found Dweezil "playing along" with FZ's video image okay for some reason. Did anyone see the concert they did with a hologram of Ronnie James Dio? Was it any good? I'm not interested in going to see this, but if other people are, fine. Supposedly, there have been so many people who've posted negative comments on some of the musicians profiles that they decided not to perform. If this is true, that's not the way to go. Let them do what they want, but to me, it's not Frank. I was lucky to see him live already, and Dweezil at least four times. That'll do me fine.

Go here Dove for a more lively look at this... :arrow:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27486

BTW...Happy birthday!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:40 pm 

I'll be sure to send my hologram to buy holographic tickets.

They take holographic money; right?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:45 pm 

Yes, I'm sure there will be a holographic audience as well! :mrgreen:

Thanks, Plookster!