Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:24 am 

Following my book on the 1988 tour, Zappa The Hard Way, Wymer UK has just published my second Zappa book, Frank Talk: The Inside Stories Of Zappa's Other People - both in paperback and on Kindle.

The tome collects together over 40 interviews I have conducted during the past three decades with the people who knew and worked with Frank - from his own family, some original Mothers, his major discoveries and members of his final touring band.

Most of these interviews were previously housed at http://www.idiotbastard.com/interviews.htm, but have now been extensively annotated and re-edited for posterity, with new and additional interviews thrown in for good measure.

Augmented with artwork and caricatures created by noted designer Antero Valerio, Frank Talk gives (I hope!) an extraordinary insight into the man and his music.

Copies can be ordered via the following links:

https://www.wymeruk.co.uk/frank-talk-andrew-greenaway.html
Wymer – publisher’s web site

http://amzn.eu/0WKK5PU
https://www.waterstones.com/book/frank-talk/andrew-greenaway/9781908724670
http://www.hive.co.uk/Product/Andrew-Greenaway/Frank-Talk--The-Inside-Stories-of-Zappas-Other-People/21088324
United Kingdom

http://a.co/6gJnmPD
United States

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/1908724676/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_7l1xzbNK5G6K1
Canada

https://www.amazon.de/dp/1908724676/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T2_wYuuzb0Q34JQR
Germany

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/1908724676/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T2_q0uuzbTHYDEQ8
France

https://www.amazon.es/dp/1908724676/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T2_BXuuzb55C6QPX
Spain

https://www.amazon.it/dp/1908724676/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T1_p1uuzbZGYAAWX
Italy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:31 pm 

Thank you very much for posting that!

...Was a bit of a surprise reading the Moon interview... then again I'd kinda expected it...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:15 pm 

Ordered!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:10 pm 

Heading to Amazon right now!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:58 am 

BBP wrote:
...Was a bit of a surprise reading the Moon interview... then again I'd kinda expected it...

Sadly the Moon interview happened too late to be included in the new book - but you can read it for free here: http://idiotbastard.com/Interviews/MoonZappa.htm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:09 am 

Aww pity, that'd be a great scoop!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:41 am 

BBP wrote:
Aww pity, that'd be a great scoop!

Hopefully many will find a bunch of scoops in the book!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:06 am 

I had heard about this bit of a shocker, but as BBP says, can't be much of a surprise, seeing as how many women he was with, and some STD's he brought home, there were bound to be other sibs. Feel bad for Gail, but why not let her children know of these other half-sibs before? Of course it's a betrayal on Frank's part, I'm sure she had no idea where they were, and even if she did, she wasn't about to let her kids know. FZ probably didn't want it known, hopefully he set up a trust for them, a small amount of money. Most likely not. No, Gail did NOT give poor Moon good advice when she found out a boyfriend had cheated. This is NOT to be expected or accepted!

Anyhoo, I was on Amazon the other day, and ordered four books; one by Lynda Barry on creative writing (already have "What It Is"), "Frankie and Bobby:The Rest Of The Story", by Bob Zappa, and "Zappa the Hard Way" and "Frank Talk". For some reason, they said your newer book might take longer to arrive. Yesterday, I received an e-mail telling me the book had been shipped, and today--lo and behold!--it was in the mailbox! I've been happily thumbing through it and will give it a complete reading tomorrow. Thrilled with what I've read so far, waiting for your other tome, have been wanting to read about that '88 tour in depth for a long time. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:46 am 

dove_grey wrote:
I had heard about this bit of a shocker, but as BBP says, can't be much of a surprise, seeing as how many women he was with, and some STD's he brought home, there were bound to be other sibs. Feel bad for Gail, but why not let her children know of these other half-sibs before? Of course it's a betrayal on Frank's part, I'm sure she had no idea where they were, and even if she did, she wasn't about to let her kids know. FZ probably didn't want it known, hopefully he set up a trust for them, a small amount of money. Most likely not. No, Gail did NOT give poor Moon good advice when she found out a boyfriend had cheated. This is NOT to be expected or accepted!

Anyhoo, I was on Amazon the other day, and ordered four books; one by Lynda Barry on creative writing (already have "What It Is"), "Frankie and Bobby:The Rest Of The Story", by Bob Zappa, and "Zappa the Hard Way" and "Frank Talk". For some reason, they said your newer book might take longer to arrive. Yesterday, I received an e-mail telling me the book had been shipped, and today--lo and behold!--it was in the mailbox! I've been happily thumbing through it and will give it a complete reading tomorrow. Thrilled with what I've read so far, waiting for your other tome, have been wanting to read about that '88 tour in depth for a long time. :lol:

FZ also has an older half sister, Ann Zappa - she was never mentioned by FZ anywhere.

Playing happy family to the outside world?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:35 am 

dove_grey wrote:
I was on Amazon the other day, and ordered ..."Zappa the Hard Way" and "Frank Talk"...I've been happily thumbing through [Frank Talk] and will give it a complete reading tomorrow. Thrilled with what I've read so far, waiting for your other tome, have been wanting to read about that '88 tour in depth for a long time. :lol:

Thank you so much for purchasing my two Zappa books - glad you like what you've read so far!

In other news, Moon has asked me to remove my transcript of our exchange at Zappanale, so link above now goes nowhere.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:20 pm 

I wonder why? She knew this was going to a large audience, perhaps she's been inundated with questions about Frank's other kids? Must be tough, but she seemed willing to tell. Oh well, her call and her right, I suppose.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:37 pm 

dove_grey wrote:
I wonder why? She knew this was going to a large audience, perhaps she's been inundated with questions about Frank's other kids? Must be tough, but she seemed willing to tell. Oh well, her call and her right, I suppose.

maybe it was BS.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:00 am 

dove_grey wrote:
I wonder why? She knew this was going to a large audience, perhaps she's been inundated with questions about Frank's other kids?

I think it was more to avoid upsetting the lady in the basement, as she had previously mentioned the possibility of other children during her promo work for Eat That Question (according to the film's director).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:41 am 

^^^Maybe a threat of possible legal action from the ZFT? Alleging frivolous or slanderous claims harmful to the brand whether they are true or not. Just a thought.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:30 pm 

Napoleon once told me that he didn't know Frank, but he auditioned for the band because he wanted to play with George Duke.

8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:43 pm 

Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
Napoleon once told me that he didn't know Frank, but he auditioned for the band because he wanted to play with George Duke.

8)

In my interview with Napi (in the book) it's clear that the fact Frank was working with the likes of Duke and Ponty made him sit up and listen... and ultimately join the band.

NMB: I’ve got to be honest with you...I’m not familiar with your music.
FZ: Well, that doesn’t matter – I’ll come over and teach you everything you need to know.
NMB: Well...okay. Who’s in your band?
FZ: George Duke, Jean Luc Ponty...
NMB: Stop right there. I have all of George Duke’s stuff with Cannonball Adderley. I have a couple of Jean Luc Ponty albums. There’s nothing you can teach me in one day that’s going to prepare me to play a concert with George Duke and Jean Luc Ponty...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:00 pm 

Mr. Nice Guy wrote:

8)

He speaks about that in this interview clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBk26H8sCJc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:50 am 

FZNH wrote:
Mr. Nice Guy wrote:

8)
He speaks about that in this interview clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBk26H8sCJc
I see that he's wearing a CRANK SOME FRANK t-shirt. That particular style was manufactured for tribute band Project/Object's fall 2003 tour.

I was fortunate to be able to tour with Napi, Ike, and Don Preston for a few tours with Project/Object. Napi and I sat next to each other for over 12,000 miles on my first tour, with Don sitting right behind me. I got to meet several alumni along the way, whenever they would sit in as special guests.

I remember popping in one of George Duke's early records (which I had transferred from vinyl to cdr), and Don said, "Oh! So that's what George sounds like." When I played some of Joe's Corsage for Ike, I got the impression that he had never before heard Freak Out!.

There were many cool tales, but I'm really not much of a writer - so no book from me. 8)

Napi, Glenn, Jimmie, André, Spanky

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:19 am 

^^^What was your role on the tours?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:31 am 

Recording engineer, driver, merch sales. 8)

Spanky, pictured above, was the other driver/merch person. Ike was in her 16-passenger van, and Napi and Don were in mine. We were split - she drove the smoking/fun van, and I drove the non-smoking/serious one.

During a day off in New Jersey, Don and I went to a music store where he purchased a nice-sized portable keyboard. Sometimes, he would compose out loud in the van, as we drove along our merry way.

8)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:39 pm 

Thanks for sharing. That must have been a cool experience with Don composing in the van. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:37 pm 

Read this over the weekend. Great stuff; I learned a lot. Thanks Andrew!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:45 am 

Shrewnews wrote:
Read this over the weekend. Great stuff; I learned a lot. Thanks Andrew!

Thank YOU!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:24 am 

I picked up both your books too. Currently reading BTHW. Good stuff. Also got Bob's latest book.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:50 am 

bracton wrote:
I picked up both your books too. Currently reading BTHW. Good stuff. Also got Bob's latest book.

Thanks x 2!

Bob's books are very enlightening.