Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:02 am 

Made a better pic of this one today, the scan was a bit dirty. I sent it to Gail, but never had a reply.

It saddens me that the only time I heard back from her was over that stupid April Fool's prank I never thought anybody would fell for; somebody was stupid enough to send her a death threat over me being "forced" to turn all the Zappa on the Goose into Zoppo. She was... almost motherly, in the way she mildly berated me and told me to make amends. I wish I could've had a more positive conversation...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:43 am 

It's like Frank dying all over again. I'm so sorry to hear about Gail.
My love to the family.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:50 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
She replied to an email from me once. I asked if there was any truth to the "testimonial" that this
"energy healer" had posted on his website:

http://www.deankrafthealer.com/CaseHistory-FrankZappa.html

She said they knew him and had met with him, but inferred to me that well, he was full of shit. And she did it nicely. :)

RIP Gail.

One time in an email Gail told me I was funny enough that I won her heart! I kept all her emails we exchanged.
I seem to remember Frank called her a Barking Pumpkin because she smoked and coughed. It must have caught up with her.
It's like losing a friend. Shit.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:50 am 

My deepest condolences to her family. She did a great job of protecting and promoting Frank's legacy. We'll miss you, Gail. :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:05 am 

so sad. I didn't know until today. condolences to the zappa family.

I still can't believe it... :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:17 am 

Hi,

Good job Gail, and wave to us once in a while ... that smile alone was worth it!

(This is hard to discuss, but here goes.)

It is really difficult to see how good, or how well, Gail did what she did, and we will see more and know even more in the next few days and weeks, and months and years. I can list a few things that I would love to see done, and a few less guitar solo demands all around, but all in all ... I can't complain, although I think I will finally put away the gross inefficiency of some of the folks running this board. It made me cynical and unable to appreciate the "whole" group, because some folks at the bottom end, did not have the same appreciation as others, is all I can think.

And this is the part that is hard to appreciate in the work that Gail did.

I have some precedent ... my own mom, has published more than twice as much of my own dad's work in her time, than he did before he passed in 1979 at 59 ... so you can have an idea of how grand her job was, that all of their children, did not really know, or have any idea ... there was never enough time to say anything or to send a letter to all the kids, saying that this and that was done ... the children will rarely even know anything about it, and sometimes this is the hardest part of it all. Specially when some things get published and they have dirty diapers about the children in it disguised as artistic work from the man that has the name in the art! At that point, things get tough to take and appreciate ... but as has been stated before, in every country and house there is a God and the children (sometimes) don't mean a whole lot. At least, I can only think that things are way better and more attentive to the children, and that is a nice point and issue, and it is nice to see that the family can continue in charge of the trust in one piece and not see things screwed up.

I never met Gail, although a post I placed here some 5 years ago, got a personal email response that was not necessary, but said thank you. I think at the time, I was fighting for the ability to get 200 Motels out before the time went away and died in a blinding flash, like "Apocalypse Now" and no one understood or had a chance to have any idea what the whole thing is/was about. While it may look a bit sophomoric, some of the things done in there are still very valuable and it is far more experimental and fun to watch than many other film makers ... but it doesn't have the rock show, or the guitar leads ... that rock fans want ... and as such, its time of "validity" within film, or music, and any other art, is very limited. Specially so in the rock music press and business that is so reckless and unappreciative of folks that have a strong legacy of a continuity of work.

So, all in all, the best to the children, and the trust. I would love to see a bit more communication, here and there, but even in my own family, there is no communication, and I have no idea what the trust is doing ... even a library of some 35K to 40K books of literature are gone from the house ... and you would think I know where they went? I have no idea! And no one has mailed out a word about it ...

All the best, as I hope that your family is much tighter and composed than ours ever was, and I hope the trust can keep things alive and well for many years to come ... for someone, that in my book is one of the great composers of music in America, but is not appreciated as such ... when orchestras (I tried here in Portland, btw, but the conductor said ... who's Frank Zappa?) still can not think of music as music and can only do a redo of yet another version of the same piece, this time with Pink Martini ... and I swear ... I want to redo it with Flo and Eddie, full of 4 letter words! ... but, as you and I know ... it is what it is ... but I wish nothing but the best and hope that we can help establish the music even further than ever ... EVER ...

RIP Gail and send us a smile once in a while. I'm sure all of us would appreciate and love it dearly. I will gladly do the same for you and Frank. BTW ... where is the album showing the music about you?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:12 pm 

:?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:25 pm 

I too communicated a little with Gail years ago. Something I said made her angry...I looked at that tribute on the home page and wanted not to be on this forum for a couple of days out of respect.

38 releases after Frank died and she clung tenaciously to high standards. We are lucky she fought so bravely for the respectful preservation of his legacy.

I'm glad she was with us, and her time was too short.
:cry:
Condolences

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:05 pm 

It's interesting how so many of the "old guard" from the Forum's past have come to pay respects. Says a lot, I think.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:15 pm 

dove_grey wrote:
It's interesting how so many of the "old guard" from the Forum's past have come to pay respects. Says a lot, I think.

I haven't been on in years and I came back here once I heard the news. Kinda cool to see the same faces (see: forum pictures) that tolerated me when I was a dipshit high school kid.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:26 am 

I just read it in my local Newspaper. Five days after the event.
Just like Frank's death when I read it some days later in the papers.

The main thing she did was keeping Frank alive with new releases.
Will Ahmet follow her footsteps ?
Will the output stops with the last release ?
If so, we already have plenty to dig right now.

I lost a dear friend las August. It adds up to the absurdity of life.
RIP Gail.

I'd like to think you can meet Frank up there but I'm not too religious.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:02 am 

RIP Gail :cry:
Like many others I did not always like/understand your way of dealing with Frank's legacy, but you have gave us a lot of great stuff we would never have heard if you had not released it! Thanks for everything!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:17 am 

I used to be a regular forum member during the first couple of years the forum was active... just logged in to pay my respects. Thanks for all the great music and the ZPZ tours, Gail.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:41 am 

Sincere condolences to the Zappa family.

When Frank died, it was the end of an era. But in spite of the grief which lingers to this day, the torch of his legacy was passed to Gail and she carried it majestically, giving us more than we could ever hope for. Now, sadly, we see the end of another era. But there remains hope: the torch is now passed to the Zappa children who will continue to preserve and carry on Frank's legacy, both in his name and Gail's.

Rest in Peace, Mrs. Zappa.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:46 pm 

"If Frank Zappa cut a fart and mixed it to stereo, I'd buy it." - jimmie d

She once said to me in chat that the above was not going to be included in the upcoming MOFO release.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:09 pm 

I've only received 2 PMs from Gail. One was in reference to correcting a post that Trendy made in an SNL thread. And the second was about an interesting experience at a show at the Forum back in the 80's. I liked her sense of humor. She will be missed.
gc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:54 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
very sad news

r.i.p. gail

Beautiful foto Slime.

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:42 am 

I don't know anybody I'm just a steady fan of Frank and I have been since I was twelve. Sometimes people would tell me Frank was insane and turn that shit off. On occasion I would have my own doubts about Frank's mental integrity. But whenever I saw a photo of Frank's wonderfully attractive wife I was always assured that Frank knew exactly what he was doing.

Death is the unavoidable destination. I'm not very optimistic about it, but it would be nice to think that even though we have lost someone, others on the other side have rejoined with an old friend.

Condolences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5m2fmLdyDo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:57 pm 

Wow, just found out :cry: , a week later. Read it at Idiot Bastard's news page today. I browse the forum here almost every day, but mostly click on the "album" or "TV/film" sections. I'm not a facebooker or tweeter so didn't get the news, and had not seen this on any mainstream media, which is also sad.
I had also conversed with Gail via email/pm's a few times, mostly about the awesome posthumous releases of the last 12 yrs, and the general problems of the freeload/download epidemic vs. real fans who purchase/support. Very enjoyable interactions.

Thoughts going out to Moon, Dweezil, Ahmet, Diva & the rest of family/friends.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:18 am 

Condolences to the family. :cry:

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:18 am 

Sincere condolences and heartfelt sympathy to the family and loved ones. Thanks for everything you ever did, Gail.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:19 am 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
I'm gonna miss all of her obtuse little riddles, where what she really wanted to say was buried in gobs of gobbledygook, and the only way to tease out the real message was to read it about fifteen times and let it simmer overnight in a pot of conceptual continuity. Eventually the real message would filter to the top. It's sort of like fishing: you have to be patient, and wait for it to come to you.

Goodnight, Gail...

Me too MTF. You hit the nail on the head with this post.
8)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:23 am 

ImageCard-for-Gail by Nicolas Kozic, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:06 pm 

Some nice words by Henry Rollins, on his weekly radio show from a few weeks ago:

"Last Wednesday, on October 7, Gail Zappa passed away at age 70. She maintained the integrity of her husband’s massive body of work with creativity and the utmost vigilance, putting out unreleased material and making sure the FZ catalog remained in print and upgraded sound quality when the opportunity presented itself. All those great remasters and super cool releases of FZ through the years—you can thank Gail for that.

For the last few years, I was kindly invited to her birthday party which was on January 1. It was easy to tell how happy everyone was to be there and how happy she was to have the place filled with such amazing people. I am extremely lucky to have met her a few times and experience her kindness and generosity. I miss her.

I thought it would be right and respectful to re-make the show and put in some great Frank Zappa music so we could all think of Gail and the Zappa family."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:50 am 

Good stuff Fred... :!:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next