Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:35 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Plook wrote:
24 hour tribute to Gail well done well deserved... :!:

I thought the written message from the family was perfect.

Yes, it was. My condolences to her family!

RIP Gail!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:37 pm 
Banned

A while back I had been reporting all the bootleg T-Shirts on eBay that GZ was also going after. We had lots of PMs back and forth about that. I had 1st met her in 1991 at SIR in NYC when DZ and band were rehearsing during the Confessions tour and had many great interactions with her over the years. One of my favorite moments was when she said she didn't want to sell me "The Torture Never Stops" DVD (if you've been here long enough you know why). Such a great moment.

RIP GZ. I am very happy for all that she has given us since Frank left us. I'm sad.

Last edited by jaypfunk on Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:38 pm 
Banned

Philostopher wrote:
KUIII wrote:
Plook wrote:

Yes, it was. My condolences to her family!

RIP Gail!

It was a really great tribute.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:10 pm 

AT HOME ON CHARLES STREET IN GREENWICH VILLAGE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnnQdCh-7kI

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:27 pm 

RIP GZ

Thanks for everything :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:57 pm 

Glad she's out of pain and on a higher plane.

Thanks for the one day silence to gather our thoughts , ZFT , we grieve with you. :(

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:00 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:01 pm 

Gail's posts are still here. I doubt the family would want to delete them - any more than they would want to delete photos of her - as they are part of her historical record.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:12 pm 

She replied to an email from me once. I asked if there was any truth to the "testimonial" that this
"energy healer" had posted on his website:

http://www.deankrafthealer.com/CaseHistory-FrankZappa.html

She said they knew him and had met with him, but inferred to me that well, he was full of shit. And she did it nicely. :)

RIP Gail.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:49 pm 

This is very shocking news. And I too thought the tribute to here on the main page was perfect, especially the audio of Sofa.

One memory that comes to mind was when one day (this was back during the pre-2006 Z forum days, when it had a different layout) out of the blue she pm'ed me and said, "Thanks for paying attention." And that's all she posted. Now, I don't know if it was an overall appreciative comment or if it was regarding a heated Z forum thread topic earlier that day that had to do with the battle between artistry and monetary success. Nevertheless, it was very cool of her to do that. And I won't ever forget it.

My heart sincerely goes out to the ZFT while they grieve.

RIP, GZ. :cry:

================================================

AbnucealEmukaah83 wrote:
Not too long ago there was the deal with Universal and Ahmet taking over ''taking over the daily operations of the family business''.

As if she knew...

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking after I heard she had passed...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:19 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:

AbnucealEmukaah83 wrote:
Not too long ago there was the deal with Universal and Ahmet taking over ''taking over the daily operations of the family business''.

As if she knew...

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking after I heard she had passed...

Of course she knew.
Lung cancer does not kill you overnight. :(

I have a feeling she was very relived when Ahmet took the reigns and she finally said enough is enough.
She was a fine woman and what woman wouldn't want to crow about being FZ's wife ? I would like to believe that she died happy and contented with what she had done in her life. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:30 pm 

I was just about done with my post yesterday, hit "submit", then I saw the temporarily disabled notice. It made perfect sense to me, and I'm glad they did. Loved the tribute to her, so well written and an excellent picture of a beautiful Rock Warrior Goddess. Thanks for being there for Frank and your family and for keeping his memory alive. My heart goes out to her family (especially her grandchildren) and friends. Truly a woman to be reckoned with. I'd like to think they're reunited and he's asking her, "What took you so long?"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:40 pm 

I agree the tribute was very well done. I never had the opportunity to meet her, but did have a few of moments of communication here in PMs and in a couple of passing threads. I also spoke with her a few occasions while ordering stuff from 818-pumpkin back in the day.

I admire her tenacity for managing and passion for running Frank Zappa's legacy and the brand. A strong woman.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:13 pm 

I'm gonna miss all of her obtuse little riddles, where what she really wanted to say was buried in gobs of gobbledygook, and the only way to tease out the real message was to read it about fifteen times and let it simmer overnight in a pot of conceptual continuity. Eventually the real message would filter to the top. It's sort of like fishing: you have to be patient, and wait for it to come to you.

Goodnight, Gail...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:25 pm 

Sad to hear this.
RIP, and all the best to the zappa family.
TT

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:43 pm 

Sad,very sad. Image

For those who missed it,here it is.

Gail Zappa

January 1, 1945 - October 7, 2015

Gail Zappa, nee Adelaide Gail Sloatman, age 70, departed this earth peacefully at her home on Wednesday, October 7, 2015, surrounded by her children.

Married to Frank Zappa at age 22, Gail was a doe-eyed, barefooted trailblazer, giving equal value to her domestic and professional responsibilities as matriarch of the family and overseer of all Zappa enterprises. She devoted herself to partnering with her husband in the music business and raising their children, Moon Unit, Dweezil, Ahmet and Diva.

Gail enthusiastically executed her role as guardian of her husband’s creative life and, with his passing, strove to ensure his legacy as one of the leading American composers and musicians of the 20th century. In this and all business endeavors, Gail passionately advocated to establish clear definitions of intellectual property and copyright laws on behalf of not just her husband, but all artists. While she conducted intricate legal negotiations with corporations as grande dame of the Zappa Family Trust, she never failed to impart the sense of humor that was part and parcel of her indomitable and formidable personality. Gail, self-described as a pagan absurdist, was motivated by love in all aspects of her life, kept her authenticity intact, unbowed and, simply put, was one bad ass in the music business and political world.

Gail will forever be identified as a key figure in the creative renaissance that is Laurel Canyon. But more than any singular accomplishment, she defined herself in her personal relationships, happiest when surrounded by loved ones and artists, often one and the same. The memories she leaves behind are indeed her own art form. Her searing intelligence, unforgettable smile, wild thicket of hair and trailing black velvets leave a blur in her wake.

There is no further information to report. This is the only statement that will be released by the family.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:47 pm 

Poor Gail - 70 is too young. My condolences to her family.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:23 pm 

surprising and sad news.
RIP sweet mama.
condolences to the family and friends.

*warm embrace*

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:18 am 

So sad to hear this. RIP Gail and thank you for everything.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:34 am 

Well done Gail. Fought hard to protect Frank's legacy...what a warrior!
Frank would have had a much harder time producing music without her managing everything on the home front in the early years.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:43 am 

I have been rather negative about her in the past as well as her ethics and even the absurdity of some of her liner notes and riddles but I understand she was a strong determined woman.

I also understand that FZ would have never taken on some of the mammoth tasks he did in life without her support and her ability to manage everything from the home control center. I do now realize why she fought so hard to preserve her late great husband's legacy sometimes using tactics that seemed overly hostile.

R.I.P to a strong, complex, brilliant woman who deserved a longer life and relaxation after years of devoting herself to her husband's music and business.

I wish after giving the day to day running and operations of the ZFT up to Ahmet she could have had time to relax, enjoy life and enjoy her family and grandchildren for years to come.

R.I.P Gail Zappa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:04 am 

Very sad news indeed. I really admired her tenacity for standing up to what she thought was right. Also, reading these nice forumer comments reminds me why we all visit here, despite our personal, cultural, geographical and political differences. Much love to the Zappas. Keep on keepin' on and fuck the naysayers.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:45 am 

KUIII wrote:
Plook wrote:

Agreed.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:07 pm 

A very sad day. It all came together and the circle closed with dance me this and roxy dvd. Even though she had an unique approach I must thank her for letting us hear more FZs music.

How funny life is, I was at ed palermos guest concert tributed to franks music on the day she died. That evening and date just became a legacy in my fz collection.

rip gz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:42 pm 

very sad news

r.i.p. gail

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next