Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15916 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 608, 609, 610, 611, 612, 613, 614 ... 637  Next
 Post subject: Re: TRUMP
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:57 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
'Nobody likes me': Trump questions why his COVID-19 approval rating is so low compared to Dr Fauci
Petar Pismestrovic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:10 pm 

Today our Twit-in-Chief buttdialed this gem:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:33 pm 

First he says that not absentee voting is good, and then he blast the Mail-In voting.

Tabarnak, HE IS CRAZY. He needs to have a good checkup, he's mentally ill.
The only vote he'll accept is the one that will make him a winner,
no matter which one, fraud or not he won't care.
I remember how he cried in 2016 for the same reason and still he won.

I hope November 3rd he'll be gone.
It's sickening to even see him on TV.
We're millions worldwide who'd like to punch him a good one between the eyes.
If there ever was a trophy for insult to intelligence, he's my choice.
Patience, Mij... only 96 days more
:x

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:03 pm 

Obama Used His John Lewis Eulogy To Condemn Trump's Response To The Portland Protests

Barack Obama gave a powerful eulogy for Rep. John Lewis at his funeral service.
Tasneem Nashrulla BuzzFeed News Reporter

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/tasneemnashrulla/obama-john-lewis-eulogy-portland-protests
Posted on July 30, 2020, at 4:18 p.m. ET

Barack Obama speaks from a lectern while standing above John Lewis's coffin, which is draped in a US flag
Alyssa Pointer / AP

Barack Obama used his eulogy at the funeral for Rep. John Lewis on Thursday to compare President Donald Trump's sending of federal officers to quash protests in Portland, Oregon, to the tactics of George Wallace, the segregationist Alabama governor who sent state troopers to violently break up peaceful civil rights demonstrations in the 1960s.

Lewis, a civil rights icon who died on July 17 at age 80, was nearly beaten to death in Selma by Alabama troopers authorized by Wallace to stop a historic march for voting rights on March 7, 1965, in what came to be known as Bloody Sunday.

Speaking at the historic Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta, Obama also compared the current use of force by police against Black people to the racist actions of Bull Connor, the commissioner of public safety in Birmingham, Alabama, in the 1960s who was known for using fire hoses and police dog attacks against civil rights activists in Alabama.

"Bull Connor may be gone, but today we witness with our own eyes police officers kneeling on the necks of Black Americans," Obama said, referring to the death of George Floyd in police custody in Minneapolis.

"George Wallace may be gone, but we can witness our federal government sending agents to use tear gas and batons against peaceful demonstrators," he added.

Wallace, a Democratic politician and the 44th governor of Alabama, was a staunch segregationist who, as Lewis wrote in a 1998 New York Times opinion piece, "fought the civil rights movement with every fiber of his being."

"He was a demagogue whose words and actions created a climate that allowed for violent reprisals against those seeking to end racial discrimination," he wrote.

In March 1965, civil rights leaders, including Lewis, planned to lead a 54-mile march of around 600 activists from Selma to the state capital of Montgomery to protest a Black man's fatal shooting by troopers and to demand full voting rights for Black Americans.

Wallace, citing concerns of traffic flow, ordered state troopers "to use whatever measures are necessary to prevent" the march.

"Such a march cannot and will not be tolerated," Wallace said during a press conference at the time, according to a newspaper clipping from the Los Angeles Times.

Cameras captured state police violently breaking up the demonstration, using tear gas and clubs to beat up hundreds of marchers. Lewis, who said he nearly died that day, suffered a fractured skull, among other injuries.

In Portland, dozens of widely shared videos have captured federal officers quashing what had been largely peaceful Black Lives Matter protests by using tear gas, "less lethal" munitions, and batons.

A demonstrator tries to shield himself from tear gas deployed by federal agents during a Black Lives Matter protest at the Mark O. Hatfield US Courthouse in Portland, Oregon, July 29.
Marcio Jose Sanchez / AP

Trump has repeatedly described protesters in Portland as "anarchists and agitators" and emphasized the need for federal troops to "protect" federal property in the city.

But the Trump administration agreed on Thursday to begin withdrawing federal officers from Portland as long as Oregon authorities take steps to protect federal buildings.

In the 1998 Times piece, Lewis wrote that when he met Wallace in 1979, he was a "changed man" who acknowledged his bigotry and "wanted to be forgiven."

Lewis wrote a final opinion piece for the New York Times prior to his death, which was published Thursday to coincide with his funeral. In it, the late Democratic lawmaker compared Black Lives Matter to the civil rights movement of his era.

"When historians pick up their pens to write the story of the 21st century," he wrote, "let them say that it was your generation who laid down the heavy burdens of hate at last and that peace finally triumphed over violence, aggression, and war."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:49 pm 

I was wondering if some intelligent Zappa forum member could clue me in as to how realistic Trump's threat to postpone the November election is.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:02 pm 

Trump can't stop the election or change its date. It is totally an impeachable offense.
Me thinks Trump threw that out there to distract from the funeral of John Lewis.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:31 pm 

He could deploy Troops, slow the mail, and try other ways to disrupt voting...When Barr testified he tipped there hand when he was asked "Will you promise to assure every vote is counted in the November election", his response "with in what the law allows..." the question said something to the effect of what does that mean and Barr's continued response was ..."well some states say votes can't be countered after election day".

Which I don't believe is true anywhere since mail in votes only need be post marked on or before election date, but most states allow one to walk there mail in ballot and drop it, Barr is trying in some states through lawsuits to disallow this option.

My Crap Detector is really getting a high reading... :evil:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:59 pm 

the next day

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:45 pm 

J.D. Crowe

Of course, the president has no power to postpone the election, as Election Day is set by an 1845 law that requires it take place on the Tuesday immediately after the first Monday in November. Only an act of Congress can change the date of Election Day, which means the House must approve of a change. It is very unlikely that Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) would agree to that, although Trump could try. His best shot would be to get Mike Pence to resign the vice presidency and then to resign the presidency himself. She might take that deal. Of course, she wouldn't be speaker anymore, so the question would have to be put to Speaker Schiff or maybe Speaker Clyburn.

So maybe the Senate could take the lead in postponing the election? Doesn't look promising, as Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) reacted almost instantly to Trump's tweet with: "Never in the history of the Congress, through wars, depressions and the Civil War have we ever not had a federally scheduled election on time and we'll find a way to do that again this Nov. 3rd." Hmmm. Doesn't look good. Even toady-in-chief Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) wasn't enthusiastic about Trump's idea. Graham said: "I have concerns about mail-in ballots being the exclusive way to cast votes, but I don't believe we should delay the elections." On the House side, Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) said: "Never in the history of federal elections have we ever not held an election, and we should go forward with our election." Even the co-founder of the Federalist Society, Steven Calabresi, who has voted for every Republican presidential candidate since 1980, called Trump's comment "fascistic," and called for his immediate impeachment and conviction. Considering that when Trump was actually impeached, Calabresi opposed his conviction, this new-found reverence for the rule of law smacks of trying to get on the right side of history while there is still time.

Why did Trump send out that tweet? Was there a master plan? Does he not know what the law is? If he did know that Congress has the power to set the date, why didn't he first give McConnell a call to see if he was on board with the plan? Fox News political editor Chris Stirewalt thinks Trump "is either trying to provoke a reaction or trying to sow doubt about the outcome [of the election]."

We find this unlikely. Occam's razor says that Trump is very worried about the election so he just tweeted the first thing that popped into his mind: Not hold the election until some indefinite time in the future determined by him. There's also another possibility. Trump knew that today's headlines would not be friendly to him, between the bad economy and the John Lewis funeral, not to mention being 48 hours removed from passing 150,000 COVID-19 deaths. By putting this out there (and it was part of a flurry of outlandish tweets), he may well have been hoping that a bunch of "You can't do that!" and "What is Donald Trump talking about?" stories would suck up a bunch of real estate and pixels, and would result in less coverage of the really embarrassing stuff.

Our two theories are not mutually exclusive; they could both be true. But what Trump clearly does not understand is the consequence of getting Congress to change the election to some time after Jan. 20, 2021. Per the 20th Amendment, his term and that of Mike Pence end at noon on Jan. 20, 2021. Period. No exceptions. And, unlike the date of the election, even Congress can't change it. If both the presidency and vice presidency were vacant at noon, the Speaker of the House automatically becomes president—if there is a speaker. Since the speaker doesn't have to be a member of the House, it is not clear if the current speaker, Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) continues in the role until a new one is chosen, or if her speakership ends on Jan. 3. If the Supreme Court were to hold that the old speaker ceases to be speaker on Jan. 3, then the president pro tem of the Senate is next in line. Currently that is Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA), but if Senate elections are postponed, the remaining 65 senators not up this year could elect a new pro tem. Since 35 of them are Democrats, following tradition, they would probably elect their most senior member. Welcome, President Pat Leahy (D-VT).

https://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2020/Pres/Maps/Jul31.html#item-1

Bill Bramhall

Adam Zyglis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:56 am 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:17 am 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:44 am 

Plook wrote:
He could deploy Troops, slow the mail, and try other ways to disrupt voting...When Barr testified he tipped there hand when he was asked "Will you promise to assure every vote is counted in the November election", his response "with in what the law allows..." the question said something to the effect of what does that mean and Barr's continued response was ..."well some states say votes can't be countered after election day".

Which I don't believe is true anywhere since mail in votes only need be post marked on or before election date, but most states allow one to walk there mail in ballot and drop it, Barr is trying in some states through lawsuits to disallow this option.

My Crap Detector is really getting a high reading... :evil:

Totally agree. Trump and Barr will try every Republican dirty trick in the book to screw up
the election in favor of Trump. That's why this November the votes against Trump have
to be in HUGE numbers leaving no doubt he has lost the election. Still, I bet, even if the
margin of victory is big for Biden, Trump will do his "It's rigged" bit.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:10 am 

The video is only one minute and 38 seconds. It's worth a view. 8)

Fox News figures mocked the idea that Trump would try to delay the election. Trump just tweeted it.

In a tweet yesterday morning, President Donald Trump suggested delaying the upcoming presidential election in November, which polls currently show he is likely to lose. His campaign and conservative pundits have previously called the idea that he would delay the election a conspiracy theory.

Fox News were particularly aghast at people -- especially presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden -- who previously suggested that Trump would attempt to delay the election.

Watch :arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIts_HmSH7U&feature=emb_logo

https://www.mediamatters.org/voter-fraud-and-suppression/fox-news-figures-mocked-idea-trump-would-try-delay-election-trump-just

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:52 am 

"Mark my words". Is he a prophet ?
:mrgreen:
Not really. It was highly predictible

Fox News, what a bunch of glorious morons !
They know the taste of Trump's butt and that's about it.
:smoke:

Trump needs to be crushed and destroyed loud and clear Nov. 3rd.
Make it hard for him to contest the result !
A 60% across USA should do the trick.

Post subject: Re: trump
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:27 pm 

what if trump beats biden, and we'll get another four year nightmare?

obviously, I don't want that to happen, but maybe we shouldn't trust the polls too much....

remember four years ago?... hillary clinton was leading...

ok, it's a totally different situation now, but.. just saying... :|

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:47 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
[b]what if trump beats biden, and we'll get another four year nightmare?

I agree. Trump is not beaten yet.
When I was younger, I read the Apocalyse in the Bible.
I remember having read about a leader (named the "Beast") that went crazy after 7 years (or so) and almost destroyed the World
cause his time was almost through. Crazy story I must say. . .

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:55 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:29 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:

obviously, I don't want that to happen, but maybe we shouldn't trust the polls too much....

Mij wrote:
I remember having read about a leader (named the "Beast") that went crazy after 7 years (or so) and almost destroyed the World

say what? :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:40 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
Lumpy Gravy wrote:

Mij wrote:

say what? :roll:

Say that's a crazy story. Not a joyous one
8)
Hope Trump won't be that "beast"
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:21 am 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:59 am 

Rick McKee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:15 am 

Barr next?
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5095 ... -19-report

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:58 am 

What a joy it would be if all those assholes get the virus !
:smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:52 am 

Kevin Siers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:48 am 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15916 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 608, 609, 610, 611, 612, 613, 614 ... 637  Next