Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14575 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 577, 578, 579, 580, 581, 582, 583  Next
 Post subject: Re: TRUMP
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:26 am 

People have forgotten about Trump's impeachment. I highly doubt they're going to forget his mishandling of the
pandemic, come election time. Bye Bye Donnie!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:34 am 

Mij wrote:
Pedro is happy.

I doubt that.

Mij wrote:
time to throw in the garbage that dumbass of President of yours.

Unfortunately much easier said than done.

Mij wrote:
Americans will die but richer !
:smoke:
Warning to Canadians and Mexicans: Don't let Americans crossed your borders.

Kinda harsh to us non-Trumpers :|

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:43 am 

cory1984, I respect you but you should have guessed that it was irony.

And for the borders… the way Trump acts, more Americans will be contaminated, so it's safe to keep them borders as close as possible.
We, Canadians, are living dangerous times next to a Country led by a clown whose only thinking is about his stupid Economy.
This man has no heart, no brain.
But he sure know how to talk to uneducated fools...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:41 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
As Trump was speaking excitedly about reopening the US economy, the mayor of Washington was a few blocks away announcing the indefinite closure of all non-essential businesses in the national capital.

A pity that she cannot close the white house as well, probably the least essential business in nowadays USA ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:51 am 

If there's one "good" side about COVID-19, it's that it has allowed EVERY Americans to realize how incompetent Trump is.
NO EXCUSES FOR NO ONE !

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:18 am 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:59 am 

Trump is so lame, shabby, pathetic…
Better have fun at his expenses while we still can !

Note: This post is not Pedro approved

Last edited by Mij on Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:04 am 

Trump versus the scientists: The president’s tug-of-war with experts over coronavirus policy
Ashley Parker,, Josh Dawsey, Yasmeen Abutaleb
16 hours ago

© Jabin Botsford/The Washington Post Dr. Deborah Birx and Dr. Anthony S. Fauci listen as President Trump speaks Friday alongside his coronavirus task force. (Jabin Botsford/The Washington Post)

On Monday, during the daily coronavirus news conference, President Trump tried to drag White House coronavirus response coordinator Deborah Birx into bashing the media with him — an entreaty she deftly sidestepped with a smile and talk of how much she had recently learned about “social distancing and respiratory diseases.”

Then on Tuesday, during a Fox News virtual town hall with virus task force members, Trump tried to prod Birx into criticizing New York Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo (D) for the rapidly growing outbreak of coronavirus cases in his state.

“Do you blame the governor for that?” Trump asked Birx — a question she simply ignored as she continued on with her answer.

The high-stakes theater playing out between Trump and one of his top public health officials underscored a tense dynamic in the White House: a squadron of scientists and health experts — including Birx and infectious disease expert Anthony S. Fauci — caught in an uneasy tug-of-war with Trump as they push a worldview grounded in data and evidence in a West Wing where the president has mused about a “miracle” cure.

Trump has increasingly minimized and pushed aside many of the top public health and scientific experts in his administration, instead relying on advice from economic advisers and outside voices in the business community who are urging him to prioritize the nation’s economy above all else. On Tuesday, Trump told Fox News he hoped to have the country reopened by Easter on April 12 — a timeline at direct odds with the recommendations of experts such as Fauci, who had said previously that social distancing measures would probably need to remain for at least “several weeks.”

It was not the first time the president has publicly contradicted the public or private advice of Fauci, the director of the National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

On Sunday evening, just before midnight, Trump shocked the scientific community with a tweet foreshadowing his desire to reopen the country imminently: “WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF,” he wrote.

Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) said he spoke with Fauci on Monday morning, shortly after a new string of tweets by the president echoing a similar sentiment, and that Fauci disagreed with Trump’s assessment of the crisis.

“He believes we should be doing more, not less,” Graham said.

In a brief interview, Fauci — who was notably absent from several coronavirus events before reappearing at a White House briefing Tuesday evening — played down signs of tension with Trump.

“The one thing I can tell you, every time I speak to him about something he listens carefully and weighs it,” Fauci said. “He’s responsible for much more than what I’m responsible for.”

This portrait of mounting tensions between the president and the scientific community is the result of interviews with 15 senior administration officials, aides, outside advisers and others briefed on internal deliberations, many of whom spoke on the condition of anonymity to share candid assessments.

Trump has set up something of a gladiatorial process for managing the coronavirus, in which each adviser and expert argues forcefully for their specific perspective — be it public health or economic growth — creating a dynamic that has left Birx, Fauci and others often offering Trump recommendations he is not eager to hear.

© Jabin Botsford/The Washington Post President Trump listens to Deborah Birx, White House coronavirus response coordinator, during a briefing on Monday, March 23, 2020.

During his coronavirus news conference Monday, Trump was asked whether Fauci agreed with him about getting the economy up and running again at the expense of the social distancing measures Fauci and others have long prescribed.

“Well, he doesn’t not agree,” Trump said, using a double negative to underscore the apparent distance between the public-health consensus and a president who sees the economy as directly tied to his reelection chances.

One person familiar with task force discussions said Trump has continued to push unproven or experimental drugs as cure-alls — despite little data so far to support their efficacy and against the advice of his own scientific advisers — because he “wants this magical moment when this is all over.”

One business executive, who has been part of some administration discussions and is familiar with the president’s views, described a “natural tension” between the politicians and the doctors on the task force, whose mind-set is “we’re going to save every life” no matter how many restrictions are required.

© Jabin Botsford/The Washington Post Fauci listens as President Trump announces that the outbreak could last months.

“A politician’s role is to weigh risks and benefits and make decisions,” this person said. “This disease is going to kill people, but poverty is going to kill a lot more people over a longer period of time.”

Unlike Birx and Fauci, who have both taken pains not to publicly criticize the president too harshly, many in the scientific community at large are deeply alarmed by Trump’s rhetoric and proposed actions, and they are making no effort to hide their concern.

This month, the editor in chief of Science magazine wrote that Trump’s demands for an immediate coronavirus vaccine — which is expected to take a year, if not longer — was like asking for a cure on “warp drive,” and admonished the president to “start treating science and its principles with respect.”

Scott Gottlieb, Trump’s former Food and Drug Administration commissioner, in a number of tweets also warned that despite a “strong and understandable desire to return to better times and a functioning economy,” failing to combat the spread of covid-19, the disease caused by the virus, could be cataclysmic.

“So long as covid-19 spreads uncontrolled, older people will die in historic numbers, middle aged folks doomed to prolonged ICU stays to fight for their lives, hospitals will be overwhelmed, and most Americans terrified to leave homes, eat out, take the subway, or go to the park,” Gottlieb wrote.

Meanwhile, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has been noticeably less visible in daily White House coronavirus briefings and has had far fewer of its own media briefings than in previous outbreaks. Some administration officials insist the CDC still plays a key role in task force meetings, where issues and decisions are hashed out.

The Department of Health and Human Services has also been disempowered ever since Trump appointed Vice President Pence to oversee the administration’s response out of the West Wing. While HHS officials still attend task force meetings and remain involved in combating the virus, they have been minimized from key efforts.

They were not, for instance, part of the decision-making for a drive-through testing initiative led by Jared Kushner — Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser — and the Federal Emergency Management Agency has recently taken over coordinating the response, further sidelining HHS. CDC Director Robert Redfield and HHS Secretary Alex Azar were initially among the key officials briefing Trump, but that is no longer the case.

However, two senior administration officials said FEMA’s role in the disaster response is appropriate for this pandemic.

Ashish Jha, professor at Harvard University and director of the Harvard Global Health Institute, said that while he has been largely heartened that Birx and Fauci remain in Trump’s orbit, the president doesn’t always seem to follow their counsel.

“What you get is a sense that while he’s keeping some scientists close, a lot of what’s coming out of his mouth and out of the White House is unlikely to be the advice the scientists are giving him,” Jha said. “There’s a lot happening there, out of the White House, that one senses isn’t being driven by scientific advisers.”

Trump still generally has warm feelings toward the medical professionals on the task force, particularly Birx and Fauci. He has privately said Fauci has unassailable credentials and exudes expertise, and Trump is usually respectful of the scientists in meetings, allowing them to explain their data and positions while asking a range of questions. Birx has regularly brought in charts and data to show the president, officials said.

But in recent days the president has grown frustrated with Fauci’s gentle corrections of his statements from the podium and slew of increasingly candid media interviews.

In an interview with Science that went online Sunday evening, Fauci described trying to grapple in real-time with Trump’s frequent misstatements. “I can’t jump in front of the microphone and push him down,” Fauci said. “Okay, he said it. Let’s try and get it corrected for the next time.”

© Jabin Botsford/The Washington Post Anthony Fauci speaks with the coronavirus task force at the White House on Tuesday.

Other officials are growing annoyed with Fauci in part because he is no longer getting advance approval for his media interviews, which they sometimes view as intended to promote his own personal brand rather than the president, a senior administration official said.

Advisers are also irritated by some of the tweets and TV appearances from Gottlieb, who has been informally advising the task force, that contradict the president, two administration officials said.

Trump, at his core, is a businessman, said one Republican frequently in touch with the White House, explaining that when pulled between two competing poles — those of the medical professionals and some within the business community — the president will almost always come down on the side of the latter.

But some allies have also tried to impart the sheer magnitude of the crisis to the president, privately warning him that if he adjusts health policy to try to boost the economy and there is a spike in coronavirus deaths, he will personally be blamed.

“Trump needs to resist the urge to listen to economists until we have defeated the virus,” said Dan Eberhart, a prominent Republican donor. “If Trump tries to restart the economy too soon and the pandemic continues to spread, that will be his legacy and it will be a legacy of failure.”

“By all means,” Eberhart added, “wait, Mr. President.”

ashley.parker@washpost.com

josh.dawsey@washpost.com

yasmeen.abutaleb@washpost.com

Sarah Kaplan and Philip Rucker contributed to this report.

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world/tr ... id=BHEA000

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:30 am 

At 73 years old, I think Trump should catch the COVID-19 disease.
I don't think that he could understand the threat it is otherwise.

Hey, Trump fans . . . How can you justify his approach ?

You can't ???
If so… Fine. You reached the limit of stupidity. You can't go farther. Wake-up call for you. Time to step down.

I picture a scene where Trump is shot down on 5th Avenue by a coronavirus ill man...

Last edited by Mij on Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:40 am 

Mij wrote:
At 73 years old, I think Trump should catch the COVID-19 disease.
I don't think that he could understand the threat it is otherwise.

Hey, Trump fans . . . How can you justify his approach ?

You can't ???
If so… Fine. You reached the limit of stupidity. You can't go farther. Wake-up call for you. Time to step down.

I picture a scene where Trump is shot down on 5th Avenue by a coronavirus ill man...

**Donald wouldn't be seen dead on Fifth Avenue.....He's much to well protected.....

**bad joke

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:43 am 

Well, I can always dream…
:wink:
That would end a lot of bad things

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:54 am 

Note: This post is not Pedro approved

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:53 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:05 pm 

Dear Leader is getting ready to speak and give us alternative truths... :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:42 pm 

Drew Sheneman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:27 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:19 am 

Caputh wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:

There are people more intelligent that others... This way Mr. President... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:20 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Caputh wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:

There are people more intelligent that others... This way Mr. President... :wink:

He is like a malfunctioning or glitchie robot... :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:53 am 

I was at the Hopital this morning for a checkup about my now gone bladder cancer.
I talked a bit with the nurse there about how things is beginning look great in Wuhan, China.
Cause the number of cases is dropping and they're beginning to travel abroad by planes again.

She said that it was just the first wave of COVID-19 and that these Chinese Folks should stick to restrictions.
According to her, the medical staff knows that a pandemic can have 2, 3 waves.
Maybe more if the folks don't care.

Which brought me back to Trump and his obsession for Economy.
He wants business as usual by Easter.
Poor Americans.
The disease will spread like some pee in a pool.
You'll have to make a choice between your own health or pleasing that stupid goon.

I wonder if Pedro is working from his home ?!?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:01 am 

The economy v our lives? It's a false choice – and a deeply stupid one
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/26/coronavirus-us-economy-health-lives-trump

No greater love hath Trump than to lay down your life for his re-election
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/25/donald-trump-coronavirus-response-richard-wolffe
"Mr President, it might come as a shock to you but we are currently suffering from a viral case of instability, and you are one of its hotspots. As you surely recall, if you lift all restrictions, the estimated death count is 2.2 million Americans."
"The real people won’t be surprised to hear that our fearful leader’s latest gambit is to blame everyone else as he desperately tries to squirm his way to November’s election. How else can he divert attention from his disastrously botched handling of the pandemic and the ensuing economic collapse? If it’s not the media’s fault, it’s the doctors and scientists, or the governors or the Chinese. Someone, anyone, not called Trump."
"The coronavirus has no sense of morality: it just spreads its selfish genes, along with its misery and chaos, as fast as it can. At long last, this president has finally met his soulmate."

This post is not Pedro approved

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:27 am 

By the way: yesterday news in germany reported about a recent poll in USA that indicates a growing number of people thinking Trump doing a great job. I wondered a little bit and found this: "Six in 10 Americans say they approve of the job he's doing to combat the pandemic, and his approval rating is back up to match the highest in his presidency, according to a new Gallup poll."(https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/paloma/powerup/2020/03/25/powerup-trump-s-job-approval-spike-signals-rally-effect-during-coronavirus-crisis/5e7a849d88e0fa101a751647/)
I immediately realized that most of us forumers are just grumpy old men, jealously and hateful looking against a great man doing a wonderful job. No doubt, we'll see the (US-) nation "opened up and just raring to go by Easter".
Thumbs up!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:10 am 

"If Trump can’t demonstrate that he takes social distancing seriously at a press conference about Covid-19, does he really expect anyone else in the US population to follow the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidance?"

Italian Government press conference:

German Government press conference:

Dutch Government press conference:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... 1585165106

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:57 am 

No problem, they just don't use the metric system for social distancing over there in US as we do here in europe.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:41 am 

Unfortunately Doctor Donald's behavior and rhetoric will undoubtedly infect
and or kill thousands upon thousands of people.....If nobody stands up to him.....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:54 am 

Boris Johnson has now got it. As has his Health Secretary, Matt Hancock.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14575 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 577, 578, 579, 580, 581, 582, 583  Next