Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
 Post subject: Re: Moron Alert!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:44 am 

Bob Englehart

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:05 pm 

Dutch reverse racing

https://youtu.be/lLgPTJWAysY

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:04 pm 

Melania Trump wrote:
Dutch reverse racing

https://youtu.be/lLgPTJWAysY

things get a little turned around when you live below sea-level :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:49 am 

Yeah that was a major TV show called Te Land, Ter Zee en In De Lucht where contestants had to cross various challenges in a home-made vehicle. The reverse driving ran for a short period in the 70s and was particularly popular because of the infamous Dutch car DAF. DAF had their factory based in Eindhoven around 15 mins from where I live, and were the first to make an automatic gearshift, the Variomatic, back in the 50s. DAFs don't go very fast at 100km/h (60 MPH) top speed, but they could go as fast forward as they can in reverse. Yes, a car that can do 100 km/h in reverse!

Te Land, Ter Zee en In De Lucht ran for about 30 seasons before lack of funds finally pulled the plug, but the driving never got past the 70s since the races led to a mass increase in car theft.

Post subject: Louie Gohmert
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:51 pm 

Louie Gohmert, who refused to wear a mask, tests positive for coronavirus

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/29/louis-gohmert-who-refused-to-wear-a-mask-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-386076

Steve Sack

Nick Anderson

R. J. Matson

Bruce Plante

Ed Wexler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:36 pm 

There's a name I cherish for stupid folks victim of their own stupidity...
JUSTICE

And that's one of the little rewards life provides
8)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:47 am 

‘Screw COVID’: 250,000 Bikers to Defy Common Sense for Nine Days at Sturgis Rally
‘I AIN’T SCARED’

As the coronavirus rages around the nation, a quarter of a million motorcyclists are descending on Sturgis, South Dakota, where money seems to have trumped sense.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/250000-bikers-to-defy-common-sense-and-screw-covid-for-nine-days-at-sturgis-motorcycle-rally

Friday is the official start of the 80th annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, where 250,000 people are expected to gather in the South Dakota town of that name for nine days of defying proven precautions against the spread of COVID-19.

“Nobody is social distancing and none of them are wearing masks,” local psychologist Michael Fellner told The Daily Beast. “None.”

Fellner is originally from Brooklyn in New York City, which was once the nation’s COVID-19 epicenter but has just reported three straight days without a single death from the virus. The transformation is almost certainly the result of the same precautions the bikers in Sturgis are ignoring.

The Sturgis Rally’s own official website has a “COVID tracker” tab that links to the South Dakota Health Department site, where offerings include a risk assessment for public gatherings.

“Highest risk: Large, in-person gatherings where it is difficult for individuals to remain spaced at least 6 feet apart and attendees travel from multiple areas,” it advises.

As the rally’s Facebook page attests, the bikers come from across the country.

“Leaving from NH today. See ya soon!” posted Howard Saborn of New Hampshire.

“Coming for the 1st time on Saturday from Virginia,” Vickie Farmer announced.

“On our way now. Stopped in Missouri to sleep. Be there Thursday night,” Jesse Robison of Georgia posted.

“Be there Friday from San Angelo Tx.,” David Buckner said.

“On my way I ain’t scared of the media flue or as we call it round here election flue see ya soon sd,” J.F. Watson of Ohio said.

“Just call it a big protest !! And it be A-Ok!!” J. Toothman, also of Ohio, suggested.

Rod Florquest of Wyoming was among the thousands who had arrived early.

“You really have to look to see someone wearing a mask,” he reported, as though this was a good thing.

And, having come from seemingly everywhere with whatever virus they might happen to carry, they will all mingle and return home with any virus they happen to pick up. Some will have purchased one of the souvenir T-shirts that retired school counselor Linda Chaplin of Sturgis saw a street vendor selling. The front reads:

“Screw COVID-19

I came to Sturgis”

That is far from what the 70-year-old Chaplin imagined when she initially learned of the pandemic.

“One of my first thoughts was, ‘Oh, we won’t have the rally this year,’” she told The Daily Beast.

She allows that she is “not a rally person,” having in the past hopped on a bicycle to negotiate the annual gridlock of Harleys. But she understands the economic importance of the event to the town, having in past years picked up some extra money sewing patches on jackets. She nonetheless did not expect her town to prize livelihoods over lives.

“I was rather aghast that our little town was still planning to go ahead with the rally,” she said.

Chaplin was among the citizens who addressed Mayor Mark Carstensen and the City Council at a June 10 hearing about the rally. Chaplin was not speaking to strangers. She used to change the mayor’s diapers when he was a toddler and childhood friend of her daughter.

“It is my deepest conviction that this is a huge, foolish mistake to make to host the rally this year," Chaplin said at the hearing. “The government of Sturgis needs to care most for its citizens.”

She offered a solution to the rally problem: “Have a bigger one next year.”

Other speakers included ICU nurse Linda Janovy, who said the regional medical facilities are not equipped to handle an outbreak.

“We have freedom, but we also have responsibility,” she said. “You are not going to make everybody happy. Your responsibility is to keep the public safe, as safe as you can.”

Then came Lynn Burke, a nurse at the local VA facility.

“What’s the price of human life?” she asked. “I hear a lot of people saying we’re going to lose money. What about the lives we’re going to lose?”

But several local business people spoke of how dependent they are on the revenue generated by the rally. And there were also folks such as a lifelong Sturgis resident named Bob Davis.

“Freedom, God, and Donald Trump,” he said.

The City Council had never considered whether or not to approve the rally because that had never been a question. There had only been the formality of approving the necessary road closures. The council did so again on June 15 even though a survey showed that 60 percent of Sturgis residents favored canceling this year's rally.

Sturgis officials sought to calm rally opponents by saying the city was seeking to reduce the turnout by curtailing the usual advertising. The official Sturgis website nonetheless listed various exciting events for anyone tempted to attend. There was this:

“JOIN US AUGUST 10TH, 2020 FOR THE 18TH ANNUAL MAYOR’S RIDE!! The City of Sturgis is excited to be hosting the 18th Annual Sturgis Mayor’s Ride during the 80th Annual City of Sturgis Motorcycle Rally! This ride has been a special part of the City of Sturgis Motorcycle Rally; not only for the amazing beauty of the Black Hills but that it brings people together from all over the word [world].”

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:53 am 

There'll be a lot of JUSTICE from that Sturgis Rally soon !!!
:smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20