Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:08 am 

cory1984 wrote:
lapsed maps wrote:
birdcloud

I have a feeling FZ may have enjoyed this performance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJpzzbxguKk
Birdcloud on Doug doing (Saving Myself For Jesus)

What happened to Birdcloud? *Pfft..this will be updated as shit happens*
https://partybowling.wordpress.com/2018/11/24/what-happened-to-birdcloud/

Following a Twitter post by Makenzie Green on Oct. 25, 2018 referencing her dog Zima, the band Birdcloud has been MIA from all social media. Earlier in November, the group’s remaining shows for the year — including a two-night New Years’ run in Chicago — were canceled. Fans on social media have asked Birdcloud to come clean about their silence to no avail. There has been no formal announcement by the band as to what went on to bring everything to a sudden stop.
In this space earlier I had speculated as to what went down, but now I have found tangible evidence regarding the band’s professional dealings to come to the conclusion that Birdcloud has broken up.

The band split up in late October 2018 (perhaps in Australia or shortly after the band arrived home from the tour).

A tweet by a member of the Dip band who was supposed to do a few shows with Birdcloud in late November tweeted on Nov. 28 “Dip were supposed to go on a mini tour with Birdcloud this weekend, and then two weeks ago they messaged us saying they broke up, SMDH.”

Birdcloud recorded two songs to tape (in what can be described as less than enthusiastic performance) in Melbourne for The Half Way Sessions YouTube channel at the end of the Australian tour. That video was released on Nov. 13. The producer of the video confirms it is the last Birdcloud recordings but did not elaborate further.

I reached out to another person close to Birdcloud on a professional level and the person said Birdcloud will be making some sort of statement on the status of the band when it feels the time is right.

Also of note, the band’s American booking agent said they are on hiatus when I asked about the status of the band.

The first direct comment regarding a member’s status was revealed on June 19 when LG of Thelma and the Sleaze asked Makenzie when she would perform again on Instagram Live. Mak said she has no plans to do so right now and may never play again. It was indicated by LG that Mak is working on herself at the moment.

A few days later, Mak posted on IG that was open to attempting to make music with someone again. It does not appear it will be Birdcloud music as she said she plans on selling off memorabilia from the band including original lyrics. It is unknown if she followed through but the items were never posted for sale publicly.

On the heels of Mak’s post, Jasmin deleted all of her older tweets on her personal account. She is now listed as a “Nashvillian Writer” but she still is continuing to play gigs in the Nashville area with The Jasmin Kaset Band.

Makenzie has taken on work as a tour manager for C.W. Stoneking in Sept. 2019 and is seeking new clients for that business venture.

WHY THE BREAKUP OR HIATUS POSSIBLY HAPPENED

It’s been about a decade since Jasmin and Makenzie got this thing going and now they’re firmly in their 30s with a fairly hectic touring schedule. It doesn’t take a big leap to assume that all of the touring wear and tear along the way just caught up to them.
If you look closely enough you can see small hints that Birdcloud were stalled out creatively over the past year or more. In 2017, the band mentioned an album called Bolth being readied for release. On more than one occasion, Birdcloud spelled out details of lurid new videos of songs from that album.
As far as I can tell, only “Wild Turkey 101” and “Fiasco” were ever recorded. Those appeared on the “Dode” vinyl 7-inch release from the summer. Videos for those songs never appeared. The songs “Problem Drinker” and “Dukey’s Last Resort” presumably were to be a part of that album but aside from concert performances, those two songs were either never recorded or they are yet to be released. It’s not known why these projects have not been completed but the lack of productivity certainly could have led to tension within the group especially since Jasmin has made the time to release two albums within the last six months (You Drive and solo project with Quichenight).

Birdcloud was in the midst of preparing a documentary film with the help of an Australian filmmaker in 2018. The good news is the filmmaker has confirmed it will be finished but it will take time. The production company was in Nashville at the end of July 2019 conducting interviews about the breakup. The duo had mentioned a book perhaps coming along with it.

The band’s final show on October 21 at the Cherry Bar in Melbourne was interestingly enough marketed as a Farewell Show or a Farewell to Australia Show. But it does not appear the decision to end the band was made quite yet.

I finally got in touch with someone who was at the final show in Oct. 2019 and the witness said it was business as usual for them. The fan was at several shows on the tour and said no statements were made about the band being done. The fan talked and partied with them on the night of the final show and said they sounded as if they were going to keep going and fully expected to see them again.

Jasmin finally addressed the inactivity of Birdcloud on the My Fantasy Funeral podcast in late September 2019. The interview confirms that the band is through touring. While there is no direct reason given for the end and how it happened, Jasmin said she was tired and over the chaos that came with performing in Birdcloud. She also hinted at the challenges of moving forward creatively as artists who deal in satire in a world where Donald Trump is president.

She stated that she had fun in the band but wanted to move on to another phase in her life. She did not reveal what Makenzie thought of this decision to halt the band.

If they are reading this dumbass blog, I want to thank them for having the courage to do all the amazing shit they have done. There is nobody like them and I am thankful for just being alive at the same time all this wonderful chaos went down.

The non-existence of Birdcloud

https://partybowling.wordpress.com/2019/03/29/the-non-existence-of-birdcloud/

It’s been eight months since Birdcloud split the scene. I’d like to say there’s a clearer picture to view as to what happened to the Nashville duo but that’s not the case. There is scant evidence and no rumors (credible or otherwise) to explain the band’s dropping off the face of the earth in October.

You could call it a break-up but I’m hesitant to refer to it as that the more this silence grows. The more I think about it, Birdcloud isn’t saying anything because it just does not exist anymore. It’s deeper than a breakup.

The entity that is Birdcloud can only exist with Jasmin and Makenzie and they have said as much. If they are not together, it does not exist. There is not a chosen representative to talk about the band stopping because Birdcloud is its own being. The two shared joint social media accounts and while you could reasonably guess who was making the posts, it was never about Mak or Jasmin as individuals. It was about Mak and Jasmin as this thing they created called Birdcloud.

In the months since everything stopped, Jasmin Kaset has continued her work as a solo musical artist contributing to projects we know about and other ones that are more low key. She lives in “Hymen Auditorium” where her album “Tuxedo” was recorded with Quichenight in 2018. She owns a cool ass cat called Eddie and flips burgers at a bar to help pay the bills. Jasmin did keep up with a personal Twitter account until early July 2019. She has since deleted all tweets and is listed as a Nashvillian writer in her bio.

Makenzie Green is a much more difficult person to pin down. From November onward she was gone from social media until a return on her private Instagram account on May 28, 2019 (it has since gone public @makoozie). Her bio, upon coming back to social media, no longer indicated she is in Birdcloud. The first post back just announced she was back on social media in a limited capacity. She appeared with LG from Thelma and the Sleaze on an Instagram Live stream on June 19 and was asked when she would return to performing. She said she is not ready to do so and may never do it again. LG encouraged her but said Mak has to concentrate on herself at the moment.

A few days later Mak softened and posted she wanted to try to do music again (with new people) in attempt to break out of an eight month-long funk. She also posted that her Birdcloud-related items will be up for sale soon.

It appears there will be an official version of what led to the breakup in a documentary being made about the duo. The Australian production company was in Nashville at the end of July 2019 conducting interviews with both members. There is no timetable for release.

As to what happened which caused Birdcloud to stop, it’s difficult to pinpoint right now. If I could make one generalization based on the many, many hours of looking into this situation as I have done, I’d say this: Birdcloud was destroying who Makenzie Green and Jasmin Kaset are as individuals. I could be wrong of course but I think when the obituary is finally published on Birdcloud that’s going to be the core idea surrounding the end of that band. The details will have to wait.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:51 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:00 am 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:58 am 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:40 pm 

cory1984 wrote:
cory1984 wrote:
lapsed maps wrote:
birdcloud

What happened to Birdcloud? *Pfft..this will be updated as shit happens*
https://partybowling.wordpress.com/2018/11/24/what-happened-to-birdcloud/

Following a Twitter post by Makenzie Green on Oct. 25, 2018 referencing her dog Zima, the band Birdcloud has been MIA from all social media. Earlier in November, the group’s remaining shows for the year — including a two-night New Years’ run in Chicago — were canceled. Fans on social media have asked Birdcloud to come clean about their silence to no avail. There has been no formal announcement by the band as to what went on to bring everything to a sudden stop.
In this space earlier I had speculated as to what went down, but now I have found tangible evidence regarding the band’s professional dealings to come to the conclusion that Birdcloud has broken up.

The band split up in late October 2018 (perhaps in Australia or shortly after the band arrived home from the tour).

A tweet by a member of the Dip band who was supposed to do a few shows with Birdcloud in late November tweeted on Nov. 28 “Dip were supposed to go on a mini tour with Birdcloud this weekend, and then two weeks ago they messaged us saying they broke up, SMDH.”

Birdcloud recorded two songs to tape (in what can be described as less than enthusiastic performance) in Melbourne for The Half Way Sessions YouTube channel at the end of the Australian tour. That video was released on Nov. 13. The producer of the video confirms it is the last Birdcloud recordings but did not elaborate further.

I reached out to another person close to Birdcloud on a professional level and the person said Birdcloud will be making some sort of statement on the status of the band when it feels the time is right.

Also of note, the band’s American booking agent said they are on hiatus when I asked about the status of the band...

POSSIBLE MAJOR UPDATE: On Jan. 20, 2020, Birdcloud reactivated social media accounts. The two posted from several watering holes in Nashville and asked fans to celebrate by Venmoing them cash for drinks.
https://partybowling.wordpress.com/2018/11/24/what-happened-to-birdcloud/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Somewhere in late October 2018, the band Birdcloud ceased being active. While there has never been an official statement from the band’s frozen social media accounts, in local Nashville media or on the band’s web site, it is known through Jasmin Kaset’s personal reflections in a podcast interview in September 2019 that Birdcloud is finished.

The podcast interview is written about in detail in another post, but it could be interpreted from the interview that the reasons she stopped touring was because she was exhausted and that the abrupt change on the American political landscape during Donald Trump’s administration made presenting Birdcloud’s brand of the absurd more difficult.

Makenzie Green did express a desire to make a statement in the future on the 1-year anniversary of the final show played on Oct. 21, 2018 at the Cherry Bar in Melbourne, Australia. On Jan. 5, 2020 in a post on Instagram, she thanked everyone for enjoying Birdcloud and for the messages recalling the band’s shows. There was no expanded explanation of what ended the band, just a nod to an uncharted future.

It is still unknown as to when, where and how the breakup happened.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:37 am 

Gerle Haggard

Gerle Haggard Band brings the best of Merle Haggard’s timeless music to dyed in the wool fans while introducing his well known hits, obscure singles and early work, as well as The Hag’s own carefully chosen covers, to the next generation of Outlaw Country and Western Swing listeners. This ensemble features a terrific line-up of musicians who weave original instrumentation, tight harmonies and a big heap of showmanship into a full-throttled entertainment event.

http://www.gerlehaggardband.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:57 pm 

from the land of the rising sun and possibly featured previously Shonen Knife

and their album Rock Animals

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6