Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:19 am
Posts: 15866
Location: misanthropia
haHAA.
other old standby favorites of mine include:

:roll:... you just don't get it (yeah... profound jokes with hidden punchlines... keep them out of my music)
what do YOU listen to!!? (ok, i get it - YOUR dad can beat up MY dad)
well... it's not for everybody. ( i am not "everybody". but... thanks)
sorry it's not one of YOUR favorite bands' name goes here!!! (wellduh)

_________________
that's what happens when you don't read you loose your link to higher thinking


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:11 am
Posts: 4859
Deuce, lets put it this way, you ain't no tommy emmanuel.

_________________
"I'm interested in the capitalistic way of life, and the reason I like it better than anything else I've seen so far is because competition produces results."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:19 am
Posts: 15866
Location: misanthropia
whoa

_________________
that's what happens when you don't read you loose your link to higher thinking


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:29 pm
Posts: 3910
Location: south midlands, UK
I get that Dylan is revered, but so what - I can't stand him :shock: .
Its a FZ forum, and pretty much anyone who is not up to FZ standards is up for scrutiny / criticism. That includes me if you want to - if you feel the need to sink to 'my level'.

I posted a link because DM asked for it (well, he didn't really think I was gonna come up with anything) and hey, not a bad comeback IMO. Could have been worse - could have been 'blues' :twisted:

Whether anyone is tommy emmanuel or not is fucking irrelevant. IMO the stuff I do is worthy of putting on youtube, playing live and occasionally plugging it, and it is FREE.

I might fail to convince a few people of this, but no matter how great you think you look by slating my stuff, you're not looking good at all.

But fill your boots...

TT

_________________
and I know, I think
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:19 am
Posts: 15866
Location: misanthropia
great
now i want to hear some blues

*selfmedicates*

_________________
that's what happens when you don't read you loose your link to higher thinking


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:35 am
Posts: 945
Location: Location: Location:
I also loathe Bob Dylan. And Philo, I think the Band used to play for Ronnie Hawkins before Dylan. GnR is over rated to an extent, proven to me when I first heard 'Night in the Ruts' by Aerosmith. U2 hasn't done anything significant since Achtung Baby, possibly Zooropa. I love Rush and I'll be sad when they retire, which will probably be after this tour.

_________________
Check out my band!:
http://burgerfriespop.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/burgerfriespop/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 6577
Location: Between the Badges
Very much enjoying this thread. I was just listening to this cd last week:

Image

Its just a mix of BD favs. Probably alot of stuff people already know very well. That should probably tell us something, I suppose. But, there is alot of Dylan and its not all good. I find alot of it to be highly annoying. As with Phil Ochs, another favorite, he isn't a very good guitarist, singer or performer in general. Dylan (Ochs too!) is a great songwriter. I don't steep myself in BD's music, I absorb it. As has been said about Neil Young, BD isn't a musician, he's a Force. I don't listen to BD to learn musical, but lyrical technique. Dylan constantly rewrites songs - lyrics, not music. Dylan fans often will hear the first chords of a song live and cheer thinking they know the song, only to find out it is a different song with very similar chords.
I remember being in Flip Side in the 80s...

Image

I was flipping through the stacks and some harmonica player had come in to thank the clerk who had advised him to get a Junior Wells album. The customer was learning how to play harmonica and they congratulated each other in not having pointed him in the direction of Bob Dylan. These guys believed that they knew what good harmonica was and Bob Dylan was a joke. In "professional" circles, BD's harmonica is a joke. Its a joke on Flakes. But, its not a joke in that people around the world love it. It goes straight to FZ's "If you like it, its bitchen'" quote.
It seems the results come out the way BD wants them to. BD was purported to tell Neil Young that Crazy Horse "couldn't play". Compare Poncho to Jesse Ed Davis - BD has the more competent player. But, I'd rather listen to Crazy Horse fuck around than any of BD's bands or most bands for that matter. I like FZ's precision because that was a goal. Not every musician need have that goal. To quote The Monarch from The Venture Brothers: "...yeah, yeah, you can never have enough precision in your soup." FZ rarely played soup. Bob Dylan and Neil Young pretty much only played soup.
If I want to hear someone who is a fully capable Harmonica Player, I'll listen to Howard Levy. But, I'd never listen to Howard Levy if I want to think about all the miserable things in the world. I hate it when happy people play blue music.

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 7134
Location: South wales
Elton John after Original Guitarist left
Bowie after Original Guitarist left
Rolling Stones after Brian Jones Died
Bob Dylan after Cat Stevens :P

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:22 pm
Posts: 4532
Location: Approaching Death
tiboudre wrote:
And Philo, I think the Band used to play for Ronnie Hawkins before Dylan.


You are correct. But, I don't personally feel The Band would have been that successful were it not for Dylan. And, everyone doesn't have to like Dylan. That's what is great about this life. Everyone doesn't have to like the same thing. But respecting what other people like and civilness matter more to me than rather we like the same bands or not.

Disco Boy likes U2, and I don't. I would never dog him out for that. He has his reasons for liking them, and I'm sure they are valid. I grew up liking Kiss. I'm sure people 10 years older than me thought it was commercial crap, but it meant something to me as a pre-teen. I outgrew it as my musical knowledge grew.

_________________
"Everything dies baby that's a fact
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:11 am
Posts: 4859
Philostopher wrote:
tiboudre wrote:
And Philo, I think the Band used to play for Ronnie Hawkins before Dylan.


You are correct. But, I don't personally feel The Band would have been that successful were it not for Dylan. And, everyone doesn't have to like Dylan. That's what is great about this life. Everyone doesn't have to like the same thing. But respecting what other people like and civilness matter more to me than rather we like the same bands or not.

Disco Boy likes U2, and I don't. I would never dog him out for that. He has his reasons for liking them, and I'm sure they are valid. I grew up liking Kiss. I'm sure people 10 years older than me thought it was commercial crap, but it meant something to me as a pre-teen. I outgrew it as my musical knowledge grew.


Well put, As for the Band i enjoy their music more than Dylan , Levon Helm, is very interesting, I listen to that every now and then.

_________________
"I'm interested in the capitalistic way of life, and the reason I like it better than anything else I've seen so far is because competition produces results."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:03 pm
Posts: 6788
Location: Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Very much enjoying this thread. I was just listening to this cd last week:

Image

Its just a mix of BD favs. Probably alot of stuff people already know very well. That should probably tell us something, I suppose. But, there is alot of Dylan and its not all good. I find alot of it to be highly annoying. As with Phil Ochs, another favorite, he isn't a very good guitarist, singer or performer in general. Dylan (Ochs too!) is a great songwriter. I don't steep myself in BD's music, I absorb it. As has been said about Neil Young, BD isn't a musician, he's a Force. I don't listen to BD to learn musical, but lyrical technique. Dylan constantly rewrites songs - lyrics, not music. Dylan fans often will hear the first chords of a song live and cheer thinking they know the song, only to find out it is a different song with very similar chords.
I remember being in Flip Side in the 80s...

Image

I was flipping through the stacks and some harmonica player had come in to thank the clerk who had advised him to get a Junior Wells album. The customer was learning how to play harmonica and they congratulated each other in not having pointed him in the direction of Bob Dylan. These guys believed that they knew what good harmonica was and Bob Dylan was a joke. In "professional" circles, BD's harmonica is a joke. Its a joke on Flakes. But, its not a joke in that people around the world love it. It goes straight to FZ's "If you like it, its bitchen'" quote.
It seems the results come out the way BD wants them to. BD was purported to tell Neil Young that Crazy Horse "couldn't play". Compare Poncho to Jesse Ed Davis - BD has the more competent player. But, I'd rather listen to Crazy Horse fuck around than any of BD's bands or most bands for that matter. I like FZ's precision because that was a goal. Not every musician need have that goal. To quote The Monarch from The Venture Brothers: "...yeah, yeah, you can never have enough precision in your soup." FZ rarely played soup. Bob Dylan and Neil Young pretty much only played soup.
If I want to hear someone who is a fully capable Harmonica Player, I'll listen to Howard Levy. But, I'd never listen to Howard Levy if I want to think about all the miserable things in the world. I hate it when happy people play blue music.

This is true Arkay...I couldn't agree with you more...many musicians can be great song writers but mediocre musicians...
Jimi Hendrix excelled in both. Morrison could write, couldn't play an instrument.
Stones kicked ass period!!! Anyone who says differrent is either deaf or dumb (or both).
U2...great songwriting, average musicians.
History repeats itself these days with the likes of artists like James Blunt, great songwriter, average musician.
John Mayer, incredible musician, average songwriter....its always been difficult to meld the 2 talents together 100 percent of the time.
GC

_________________
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 12301
Location: EINDHOVEN
Come now Galoot. The Stones are predictable.

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:29 pm
Posts: 3910
Location: south midlands, UK
BBP wrote:
Come now Galoot. The Stones are predictable.

I don't think we should expect bands / artists to keep producing decent records decade after decade though.
This thing where some people might be glad that "hendrix / cobain etc died young was a good thing just in case they started doing stuff that was not as good" might have some validity otherwise.
TT

_________________
and I know, I think
Image


Last edited by deuce on Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:19 am
Posts: 15866
Location: misanthropia
such a catch-22

doing the same thing/record over and over = one trick pony
changing it up/"growing" = why the f did they do THAT!!? now they suck balls!

_________________
that's what happens when you don't read you loose your link to higher thinking


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 32902
Location: >>==> Wellington New Zealand
I have to say having attended the Rolling Stones 14 on fire concert last November, those guys'n'girls know how to rock and roll, easily on my top ten concert list. It was a bonus to see Mick Taylor as their guest guitarist. A high energy show from start to finish. The negative vibe merchants that I went with were prepared to be totally underwhelmed and where completely gobsmacked, as was I at how good a concert it was.

_________________
hey punk.....I'm speechless, I have no speech.....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 6577
Location: Between the Badges
I listen to alot of Stones. They do have too many similar live albums. Saying that, I probably will end up hearing their most recent ones at some point, really hoping that they are not just ponies or sucking balls or whatnot.

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:35 am
Posts: 945
Location: Location: Location:
Philostopher wrote:
tiboudre wrote:
And Philo, I think the Band used to play for Ronnie Hawkins before Dylan.


You are correct. But, I don't personally feel The Band would have been that successful were it not for Dylan. And, everyone doesn't have to like Dylan. That's what is great about this life. Everyone doesn't have to like the same thing. But respecting what other people like and civilness matter more to me than rather we like the same bands or not.

Disco Boy likes U2, and I don't. I would never dog him out for that. He has his reasons for liking them, and I'm sure they are valid. I grew up liking Kiss. I'm sure people 10 years older than me thought it was commercial crap, but it meant something to me as a pre-teen. I outgrew it as my musical knowledge grew.

I see your point about the Band, Philo. To me, the Band wouldn't have been as popular in the U.S. without Dylan, but would be popular in Canada.

For everyone's musical tastes, to each their own. I tried for years to get my friends and family to like FZ as much as me, but my efforts were futile and I've come to accept that, along with all the other bands everyone else likes, but I don't. And it's ok.

By the way, I like Kiss too. Alive is a killer record and Creatures of the Night has the best recorded drumkit sound in history!

_________________
Check out my band!:
http://burgerfriespop.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/burgerfriespop/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:05 pm
Posts: 3811
Location: where the dogs roll by
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
I listen to alot of Stones. They do have too many similar live albums. Saying that, I probably will end up hearing their most recent ones at some point, really hoping that they are not just ponies or sucking balls or whatnot.


I like their later stuff, like Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, and A Bigger Bang. EDIT: Is it the Stones of the 60's and 70's? No, but it's fresh sounding stuff that holds my interest and passes the test of me not thinking about/wishing I was listening to old Stones when I hear it. If that makes sense. Great music to crank on the drive home after a tough day at the office. END EDIT.

Just recently got the two "from the vault" releases but have yet to give 'em a proper listen.

_________________
I can't tell when you're telling the truth.
>I'm not.
How do I know anything you've said to me is...
>You don't.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:05 pm
Posts: 3811
Location: where the dogs roll by
My next entry: Neil Young as an electric guitarist.

I like Neil Young A LOT. I own 16 Neil Young albums. Some of my favorite albums ever (Tonight's the Night, On the Beach, Rust Never Sleeps).

I have never, ever considered him when thinking about my favorite lead guitarists. Not even close.

Yet he is revered by many as a great guitarist, and not just Rolling Stone. Just recently, two buddies and I named our 25 favorite guitarists and he was on both their lists.

Sure, he plays his heart out. But his solos rarely, if ever, move me in any way. I just don't hear it. Am I missing something?

_________________
I can't tell when you're telling the truth.
>I'm not.
How do I know anything you've said to me is...
>You don't.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:19 am
Posts: 15866
Location: misanthropia
:roll:... you just don't get it

_________________
that's what happens when you don't read you loose your link to higher thinking


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2002 4:25 am
Posts: 3690
Location: SANTA MARIA,CA USA
Wow, Mick Taylor's alive? :shock: Who knew. Very enjoyable thread........I agree about U2 after Achtung, Baby. Bono has been taking himself way too serious for way too long. I did pick up All That You Can Leave Behind (is that the title? Geez, getting old and losing my memory...) and it was not bad---very good, actually. John Mayer is overrated, bought one of his CD's ages ago, thought it was okay, then saw a televised concert on PBS and most of the crowd were giggly women. Turned me off the music, for some reason. Years ago, I used to like this actor (yes, I'm stepping away from music.), but if I hear about a movie that stars Nicolas Cage, I steer clear. For those old-time Forum members, remember good old Aspy? She started a thread called, "My Titanic", with all the folks she'd like to see sink to bottom of the deep blue. Quite a list, and quite funny.

_________________
One two, buckle my shoe!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:11 am
Posts: 4859
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDIQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.micktaylor.net%2F&ei=xAn3VKKyAYmdgwSjk4HIAg&usg=AFQjCNGtoyYMjsizo84r9DUmhMvOO6Sbew&bvm=bv.87519884,d.eXY&cad=rja >jeeze he's only 66

_________________
"I'm interested in the capitalistic way of life, and the reason I like it better than anything else I've seen so far is because competition produces results."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:03 pm
Posts: 6788
Location: Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
BBP wrote:
Come now Galoot. The Stones are predictable.

When a band like The Stones, who have been around "50" years and not be predictable? Ms. Ploeg...you're reaching!!!! (Still luv ya though!!)

_________________
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:03 pm
Posts: 6788
Location: Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
Look.....bands are often known by their "signature sound" so lapsed...thats your opinion...and thats fine by me....Ive worked hard for over 40 years, seen many concerts in my day Zeppelin, The Who, Zappa over 30 times...Im no authority...but I have amased over these years a quarter of a million dollar high end stereo system (plus wrote a book on the subject). Friends, musicians, even bands say Im the "go to" guy and ask "So Jon, whadya think"? My most common response is...."well...opinions are like assholes, everybodies got one, and they all stink." Music just like art is subjective....you may like Camille Pissaro while I prefer Renee Magritte....does that make you more right and me wrong?

_________________
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:19 am
Posts: 15866
Location: misanthropia
wait....i think you just...agreed...with me

_________________
that's what happens when you don't read you loose your link to higher thinking


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group