Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:45 pm 

The Clash and Social Distortion

I just didn't get it when the Clash came out. It is usually the sound of the singing that turns me off. Rebel rock, ska, punk.... what is it?
It's probably because I was such a young prog-head back then.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:01 pm 

DC Boogie wrote:
YOU TOO

U2 is most definitely overrated. But, I taped this special called It Might Get Loud with Jimmy Page, The Edge, and Jack White. The Edge ain't too bad when you get him away from Boner.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:31 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Please let me know when you write a song that is better than It's Alright Ma I'm Only Bleeding, alright Deuce? And post a link. I mean, if we live that long.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ToneTanner ... &flow=list
Take your choice - just my opinion of course.
You got anything?
TT

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:46 pm 

For my entry to this thread I'm going with The Boss, and the notion that one can like someone's music and still think they're overrated.

I own 7 Springsteen albums and they're all good for an occasional spin. I like Born To Run a lot.

But the reverence from the legions of adoring fans? I don't get it.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:03 pm 

deuce wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:
Please let me know when you write a song that is better than It's Alright Ma I'm Only Bleeding, alright Deuce? And post a link. I mean, if we live that long.

You got anything?
TT

I listened to three songs, and your music is pretty good TT. My first dog I had as a young one, I named Friend. So, I really like that one. Keep it up brother!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:46 pm 

sleeping in a jar wrote:
For my entry to this thread I'm going with The Boss, and the notion that one can like someone's music and still think they're overrated.

I own 7 Springsteen albums and they're all good for an occasional spin. I like Born To Run a lot.

This post sums up U2 in a similar way for me. I know you know the bulk of what I'm going to post, but I'll post it for the sake of the thread.

I own their entire catalogue from the beginning up until the late '90s, the decade where I think U2 were at their creative peak. But after the lacklustre sales of the 1997-1998 PopMart tour, from 2000 until present, they have been desperately submitting to the pressures of trying to enhance their popularity by making albums that are incredibly generic & pedestrian in sound & image (even their album covers since then look similar). And for the most part, they've succeeded. Essentially, U2 have done a total 180, in terms of attitude, style & musical integrity. In fact, the only innovative thing I can think of that they've been able to pull off since the late '90s, has almost nothing to do with their music, and that is their stage set designs...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:36 pm 

sleeping in a jar wrote:

That's how I feel about Springsteen, too - and The Rolling Stones.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:08 am 

Why all critics are crap...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:25 am 

i am enjoying this thread.

i'll go wiiiiiiiiiiiiiith johnny cash.
very meh. and that's me being generous.
i am unmoved by talk-singers. wtf are you doing - narrating!? smells phony.
i would rather hear a horrible singer TRYING.
the talk-sing approach sounds like unconfident waddling.

and i usually don't care about this type of thing, but...
fuck it - i am wearing plaid until the world realizes that clothing hue will NOT change the world.

yours truly
(a boy named) sue me

yes, a rhyming outro. now sing THAT one with passion.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:01 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Of course I'm kidding.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:07 am 

sleeping in a jar wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
Of course I'm kidding.

You got me....I have the entire discography just because I torture myself.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:29 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
sleeping in a jar wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
Of course I'm kidding.

You got me....I have the entire discography just because I torture myself.

You don't like him because he didn't have a hit record. Just admit it.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:46 am 

No commercial potential. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:45 pm 

Dylan has written some good songs. In most cases, it takes another artist to bring them to life-like Hendrix, Dead/Garcia, Clapton (and GnR lol). I have a small sample of his albums. Blood on the Tracks was probably the most listened to of them.

Usually it's The Boss that comes to mind for me when you mention overrated. The songs aren't bad, it's mainly his voice I don't like, plus the way he hams it up in concert comes across as contrived and phony. I saw him live on the Born in USA tour. Also, in the early 90's I went to see him on a solo tour he did-just him and his acoustic. Thinking I was going to hear some upbeat, unplugged renditions of his songs, was I ever wrong. I can generally appreciate live music of any sort, but this might be the only concert I dozed off at. He would strum a single chord, and moan out a lyric-over and over. The final number was a blues shuffle where he actually played the guitar and sang (and woke everybody up).

I try to apply over-rated to popular artists who might lack overall talent (as opposed to popular artists who I just don't like the music). As a kid in the 70's, I loved Kiss. I tried revisiting some their music, but hardly found anything for pleasurable listening. Take away their makeup, and there's nothing there.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:18 pm 

hm
never thought about listening to the makeup.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:21 pm 

deuce wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:

TT

That was not even close, man. Are you fooling yourself or just trying to fool me? And you had to go back 13 years for that? Why did you drown it in that terrible reverb? That's not gonna save it. If that's your best I can understand your jealousy toward Dylan.

Of course, I'd be nicer about it if you were not shitting on someone who changed the game long before you even began doing your own sonic wankings. Also, I figured you would at least offer up a great vocal/lyric- so that was a let down, too.

deuce wrote:
You got anything?

Better than '65-'66 Dylan? I'm not that arrogant. But I got plenty to bury you (if I was in it for competition). I've nothing to prove. I'm not on here talking shit about guys that set the table for me. My main problem with your generic music is that you shit on a man who paved the road for unadventurous (based on what I've heard) interlopers like yourself.
Trip blues? haha. Nice self labeling job.

(If you really want-PM me an email address and I'll think about sending you a couple of files. Maybe give you some fresh ideas)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:35 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
I've nothing to prove.

then stop coddling your fresh ideas.
deuce've nothing to prove either,
yet he had the balls to post his stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:46 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Frank Zappa...
He managed to create at least one song that made it into 20th century song book.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW4Bm7q_zOc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:03 pm 

lapsed maps wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:
I've nothing to prove.

then stop coddling your fresh ideas.
deuce've nothing to prove either,
yet he had the balls to post his stuff.

You're so predictable. I saw you were logged on and knew you would come defend poor Deuce. Poor "I'm better than Dylan" Deuce.

Letting you hear my fresh ideas would be like trusting you, LM. Not happening. Anyway, you might have heard some of it already.
It doesn't take balls to post a song. It simply takes a need for attention on the Zappa forum. Deuce did have something to prove. But he failed to prove it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:52 pm 

One that I think is over-rated is Astral Weeks by Van Morrison. Praised for years by critics, but it's a really boring recording. I GUESS it's a point in his favor that he was trying something different and being adventurous, but it's still one of his worst. Moondance is SO much better.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:08 pm 

deuce wrote:
Feel free to turn this into a shit fight if you have to - but its just an opinion...
Here goes first up...
Bob Dylan:
Can anyone name a great Dylan album? If you think you can, you're a lying turd. His idolisation says a great deal about music's sheeplike mentality. He imitated players more deserving than him, and early on was gifted golden opportunities to impress influential, well to do, tone deaf beard strokers, who had begun to venture from public libraries to gigs.
He 'writes' lengthy, bitter, pretentious, vague rhymes, and sets them to simple strumming and parping harp blowing. But he did manage to get John Lennon (also vastly over-rated) to copy him :roll: .
In a nutshell, he can't play, can't sing, can't write a decent tune, and is miserable.
TT

What you got back home duece to play your fuzzy warbles on? Have a you got say a pitiful portable player??? Come to Jon's and hear all proper. Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones........

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:23 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
blah shite blah

I don't really care what you think of my stuff, but thanks for taking the time to respond.
In between that (2002) and what I'm doing today, I've had four kids - so I'll get you something else real soon when its done.
As for the jealousy thing, well no. But if it was so, and my post proves I'm jealous of Dylan, ergo you are jealous of me - and I understand why :smoke:
TT

Last edited by deuce on Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:49 pm 

Galoot Co-Log-Nuh wrote:
What you got back home duece to play your fuzzy warbles on? Have a you got say a pitiful portable player??? Come to Jon's and hear all proper. Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones........

I admit I usually listen on youtube these days - my CD purchasing right now is limited to FZ and local artists.
I have no turntable....
TT

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:07 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
You're so predictable.

ahHA!
so you HAVE been reading my posts!? you sneaky devil!!

downer mydnyte wrote:
Letting you hear my fresh ideas would be like trusting you, LM. Not happening.

but i am so predictable - what curve ball could i possibly throw that you could not
foresee and crack right out of the field?

downer mydnyte wrote:
It doesn't take balls to post a song. It simply takes a need for attention on the Zappa forum.

need for attention?
you asked him to post a song - and he did.

what non-scrotal-interior body part does it take for you to do that?

downer mydnyte wrote:
Deuce did have something to prove. But he failed to prove it.

deuce,
the tribe has spoken, please bring me your torch.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:40 am 

I'll tell you what is predictable - when a forum member gets upset that their taste in music comes in for criticism / under scrutiny, and decides to try and quash the OP. And the responses that follow.
Here's one I prepared earlier (from the michael messer forum a few weeks back), resulting from me asking this reasonably innocuous comment:

(my post) I was wondering about Samantha Fish. Is she 'famous' (you know, british blues awards nominee etc)? Is it mainly a T&A thing? I guess if she was from around here, playing at my local, I might quite enjoy it. Good luck to her, even if I don't get it...

(IDs response) Deuce: Samantha Fish has opened for Buddy Guy, and has two albums out. Perhaps you have opened for a famous blues musician and you have albums out as well. Again, if you don't enjoy Samantha Fish then don't click the video. Life is simple. Do what you like and avoid the rest.

(my response) Touche. The best I can come up with is that I have opened for Layla Zoe (canadian blues star), Gwyn Ashton (aussie blues legend), Babajack (british blues awards winners), Mumbo Jumbo (british blues awards nominees), in the last couple of years. Next year might get better... I did release one album, and one EP, and if the kids / wife allow me to, I hope to do at least one more next year. I'll send you a freebie if I do. And you?

(zaks response to ID) Yes and yes. on both counts. Not just blues legends, but a few 50s rockabilly legends as well. That would make for two long lists. But do you ask people if they are a film director when they tell you that they've watched an abysmal film? Do you ask someone if they are a chef when they complain that they've eaten a lousy meal at a restaurant?

(ID response to zak) Are you saying Samantha is not an accomplished musician whose career is going up and not down? Since you have mentioned two long lists of famous people you have opened for, I (and perhaps others) would love to see the list. Then we call all be impressed if that is your desire. I was having a conversation with Deuce before you intervened. It is not against the rules, but perhaps it is unmannerly. It would behoove you to acquaint yourself with manners.

(zak response to ID) Is that really necessary? We need to have a genitalia-measuring contest now? I've played with and opened shows for all kinds of people...Lil'Ed, Billy Lee Riley, Junior Watson, Joe Clay, The Paladins, oh and you might recognize this guy in this 20-some year old photo: How long of a list do you want? I don't really care to type out dozens of other names, I am not out to impress you. I have multiple label releases by two different bands (record labels from Canada, USA, Germany, Italy, and a few others I may be forgetting) and as many self-released recordings by three or four other bands, as well as guest appearances and session work for various other people...some known and some unknown. I can go on and on but I did not come here to name-drop and blow my own horn. I don't see what it has to do with this thread. Yawn. Was that really necessary? Now tell me, since you avoided the question the first time...do you ask people their credentials every time they voice that something is not to their liking? Can a non-musician dislike music, or is that not permissible to you? Can I tell my girlfriend that her new scarf is ugly, even though I can not spin yarn or knit even at the beginner level? If you want to lecture me on manners, try the "manners forum" if such a place exists. Funny that someone who mentions manners was the same guy who demanded Deuce's "credentials" in order for his views about music to have validity.

Now that's predictable !
TT

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next