The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: If F.Z. died in 71?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:00 am 

God damn that makes me depressed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:08 am 

Maybe certain remnants of original MOI would be less bitter towards Frank today? I mean, FZ' death hasn't stopped them making critical comments about him after 1993, but if FZ would've been killed 22 years before, perhaps there would be less bitterness? There certainly would not be the baggage of lawsuits, re-recordings of rhythm section and whatnot. I guess the Grandmothers would've been formed anyway, but whether the survivors of Zappa would've been less opposed to JCB, Bunk, Don et al performing his music, remains anybody's guess. Also anybody's guess would be the very existence of DZPZ, even if that would be the reality, it would basically only have a very limited palette of repertoire: original Mothers style, the jazz-rock of Hot Rats and the Flo & Eddie vaudeville music. The original MOI only crowd may have not liked what came ever since Over-Nite Sensation, but each of the subsequent epochs only added to Frank's versatility.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:38 pm 

I think he would be relatively obscure today if it had ended in '71. Maybe an Arthur Lee or Marc Bolan in terms of importance in rock history. Hell, he's relatively obscure anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:56 am 

^Arthur Lee or Marc Bolan??

How can someone complain about a man yet still go out and play his music for a living? It's beyond me. If Zappa died in '71 I'm sure he would have less people bitching about him. All those people would not have to begrudge him his sustained success. He'd be a tragic story. Murdered on stage. If those grumbling Mothers could have made it without Zappa they would not have been whining. George Duke never complained.

Also, Steve Vai would be doing jingles.
Adrien Belew would be on a cruise ship playing shitty covers with his band Sweetheart. For sure, Fripp and Bowie NEVER would have discovered him in some dive down in the American south.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:22 pm 

I believe Vai would have made it anyway. He was putting himself out there in other places, even when he sent those transcripts to Zappa. I agree with you on Belew though. Back in those days, rock musicians didn't look to Nashville to discover talent. My, how times have changed.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:50 pm 

This would have been tragic! I mean, I feel blessed every day just to know that I have been given the fantastic opportunity to sit underneath Trendmonger's learning tree.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:48 pm 

...and,

Napoleon Murphy Brock would still be in Hawaii. :(

FZ would still be dead now anyway. :cry:

I still would have seen him at The Fillmore West with The MOI. :D

Flo & Eddie would still have been The Turtles then Mothers. 8)

He still would have gotten credit for the 1st rock concept album. :)

The guy who hit him would've been out of jail for 20yrs or so by now. :evil:

...and Roy Estrada would still be a perv. :evil:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:50 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
George Duke never complained.

It does depend on what constitutes a "complaint".

FZ: "MUSICIANS like George Duke can mumble something about the band being too crazy and leave but then he comes back."

Duke has also been quoted to say that he observed Zappa going from a funny sarcastic guy to a serious sarcastic guy, his sense of humour getting ever vindictive. Is that a complaint? Or a legitimate observation?

And what does one reckon of FZ' own pissed off rantings from this interview (the origin of quote on Duke above):

http://afka.net/Articles/1974-12_Creem.htm

He IS pretty pissed off in that interview. Basically nobody in the band could play the way he wanted to, everybody thought he was crazy and everybody killed him in print to get their career going (Little Feat got it going, Geronimo Black apparently never).

Two sides to every story? And how does one really find the cold hard truth?

Quote:
Adrien Belew would be on a cruise ship playing shitty covers with his band Sweetheart. For sure, Fripp and Bowie NEVER would have discovered him in some dive down in the American south.

That's a very good point. Perhaps FZ' earlier death could've triggered a chain of events that would've nullified King Crimson's post-seventies reunion.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:14 am 

^ Interesting.
I should have said: I've never heard G Duke put down Zappa.
I guess everyone who knew FZ complained about him at least once or twice. Thanks for that link.

Philostopher wrote:
I agree with you on Belew though. Back in those days, rock musicians didn't look to Nashville to discover talent.

I don't know about that but I doubt Fripp or Bowie would have ventured into that club where FZ found Belew. Or Eno, for that matter. Apparently it's Eno who told Bowie about Belew after seeing him with FZ.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:38 am 

I said I agree with you on Belew, but I think Vai would have been discovered anyway. What part of my statement are you referring to? You quoted the part about Adrian, and I agree with you on that? :| Perhaps we have a misunderstanding?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:45 am 

I just meant that I would take your word on the part about rock musicians in the 70s not looking for talent in Nashville because I don't know about that. I was commenting on how guys like Fripp probably would not venture into some dive in Nashville. Zappa seemed a little more down to earth.

And I was just kidding about Vai, really. I'm sure he'd have made it without Zappa. One way or the other.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:06 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
^ Interesting.
I should have said: I've never heard G Duke put down Zappa.
I guess everyone who knew FZ complained about him at least once or twice. Thanks for that link.

Yeah. Even Tommy Mars (and maybe Steve Vai) have made remarks on what a brutal taskmaster Zappa appeared to be.

I guess Zappa and Fripp really are two bandleaders most known for creating their bands as a climate what Bill Bruford would sort of half-jokingly call "an absolutely terrifying place". The only difference, Fripp's most vocal critic Gordon Haskell thought Lizard was a piece of shit and thoroughly distanced himself from this kind of music. And what did Preston, Black and Gardner do? Form the first known Zappa tribute band in history! Now remind me again who of the original Mothers was/were the only one(s) not in any way or shape opposed to Frank at some point? Even Ian must've had some jealousy for Frank supposedly (not that I really know) lusting after Ruth. Maybe Ian and Ruth would still be together had it not been for Frank forming the Roxy band?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:50 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
I just meant that I would take your word on the part about rock musicians in the 70s not looking for talent in Nashville because I don't know about that. I was commenting on how guys like Fripp probably would not venture into some dive in Nashville. Zappa seemed a little more down to earth.

And I was just kidding about Vai, really. I'm sure he'd have made it without Zappa. One way or the other.

Perhaps not, but I think Vai had the savvy to make it without Zappa. I don't disagree with you that he sold himself out in the late 80's. But, is that really such a bad thing? Anyone who decides on a career in music has to sellout at some point to make it to the big time.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:09 pm 

Philostopher wrote:
I don't disagree with you that he sold himself out in the late 80's. But, is that really such a bad thing?

Nah. He probably used that money to do more interesting work.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:18 pm 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:

I love the original Mothers. Very creative. But what Frank said about Uncle Meat disturbs me, he must have been bitter. I can't imagine it wasn't a massive group effort. Who knows?

I don't think he gives Ian enough credit.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:01 pm 

NuclearProstate wrote:
Ed Organus Maximus wrote:

I love the original Mothers. Very creative. But what Frank said about Uncle Meat disturbs me, he must have been bitter. I can't imagine it wasn't a massive group effort. Who knows?

I don't think he gives Ian enough credit.

I find the Mothers to be the most sentimental Zappa music to me. I just love it so much. There's like a emotional connection I have with it. The members of the band were awesome people I think, and not just performers. There's a whole Mothers attitude on them too. Burnt Weeny would be nothing without the other musicians.

Quote:
It was their idiosyncrasies that made the group, not their musicianship.

I just couldn't think like that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:52 am 

The original MOI does give me a warm feeling. Absolutely Free is still one of the funniest albums ever made. It has helped change my view on what music is and what it can be.
I think it is the most 'MOTHERS OF INVENTION' of all their albums if that makes sense. When I think MOI that is what comes to mind to me. Especially Uncle Bernies Farm. All the little comments made through the song crack me up.

CHECK HIS WALLET!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:47 am 

Milton Bradley wrote:
...How much influence does a parent who dies when a child is two have on that same person as an adult? Who can say? I'd like to see an independent study.He most likely woudn't have too many strong memories of his father and they'd just be from a two year old's point of view...

I once read some statement by Diva. She said that she only has few memories about her father, one of them is she and him watching the Simpsons together when FZ already was to sick to work lots of hours anymore. Diva was a young teenager when FZ died. This was very sad to read. It made me think that every fan knows more about him than his own family.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:23 pm 

NuclearProstate wrote:
The original MOI does give me a warm feeling. Absolutely Free is still one of the funniest albums ever made. It has helped change my view on what music is and what it can be.
I think it is the most 'MOTHERS OF INVENTION' of all their albums if that makes sense. When I think MOI that is what comes to mind to me. Especially Uncle Bernies Farm. All the little comments made through the song crack me up.

CHECK HIS WALLET!!!!!!

Susy Creamcheese, oh baby now what's got into you? :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:31 pm 

ursinator wrote:
Milton Bradley wrote:
...How much influence does a parent who dies when a child is two have on that same person as an adult? Who can say? I'd like to see an independent study.He most likely woudn't have too many strong memories of his father and they'd just be from a two year old's point of view...

I once read some statement by Diva. She said that she only has few memories about her father, one of them is she and him watching the Simpsons together when FZ already was to sick to work lots of hours anymore. Diva was a young teenager when FZ died. This was very sad to read. It made me think that every fan knows more about him than his own family.

I agree.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:57 am 

wakawazooinregalia' wrote:
The members of the band were awesome people I think,

Anyone know when the sex abuse cases started against Roy? Was it the mid 70's or earlier?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:09 pm 

NuclearProstate wrote:
wakawazooinregalia' wrote:
The members of the band were awesome people I think,

Anyone know when the sex abuse cases started against Roy? Was it the mid 70's or earlier?

Ok, every one except for Roy. :roll: but he was very funny.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:11 am 

Very interesting thread!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:56 am 

Location: Behind a ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk
KUIII wrote:
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Ike Willis would be a lawyer...

And probably healthier and happier.

Many lawyers are known to indulge in unhealthy habits too, and maybe with the wrong attitude while on it. I don't think one can be happier than living playing Frank Zappa's music and being called by FZ himself a walking encyclopedia of his vast oeuvre . That would be Nirvana.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:14 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
^Arthur Lee or Marc Bolan??

How can someone complain about a man yet still go out and play his music for a living? It's beyond me. If Zappa died in '71 I'm sure he would have less people bitching about him. All those people would not have to begrudge him his sustained success. He'd be a tragic story. Murdered on stage. If those grumbling Mothers could have made it without Zappa they would not have been whining. George Duke never complained.

Also, Steve Vai would be doing jingles.

Too True
:smoke: