Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Zappa's effects and gear
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:08 am 

:idea:

Last edited by sesroh on Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:33 pm 

No reply as of yet, it sounds rather mysterious.
I wish I could help you with your search, but I can't...sorry :oops:

At least it seems FZ himself knew something about it, or else he would not be using it.
Maybe Joe or Dweezil knows a bit more about the equipment...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:05 pm 

maybe.

I havn't been able to find any photos at all on the net from this era that actually show frank's amp setup. The unit appears to be on top of a Marshall super lead half stack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:54 pm 

interesting, be sure to let us know with your findings :o

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:13 pm 

sesroh wrote:
What we're trying to find out is why the Add-a-Sound is completely unknown? I've googled it many times and cannot find anything other than one page (yelpinghounds website) saying that one of the members from the Groundhogs used one in a recording. After using the Add-A-Sound for many years, my father was positive that Frank Zappa used the effects unit on some of his recordings. Even in parts of the Jimi Hendrix Experience Purple Haze single sounds like an Add-A-Sound was used, although it is said to be an Octavia (add-a-sound is slightly similar sounding).

I don't know, but I'll take a guess.

Since your Dad worked for the company, he likely had access to R&D pre-production units that never went into full production. Sometimes cool things get invented that only the employees (like your Dad) and the possible endorsees (like Frank Zappa) get to check out, then some guys in a meeting make a final decision that goes something like "The Octavia fits the price point better. Let's go with that."

If that's the case, you guys really have something rare there.

I'm intrigued by the multiple octave buttons. it would appear that it generates octaves both up and down from the fundamental note. Electro Harmonix currently has a device called The Pog that does that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB0LpX82SFs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:35 pm 

:idea:

Last edited by sesroh on Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:02 pm 

You found it in a catalog! It looks like you're hot on the trail. Keep digging!

Is there any chance you can post a demo sound clip for us?

Here's a long shot-- since Dunlop has brought back these pedals, you might try contacting them.
http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page ... rix&cat=24
Maybe in their research their staff learned something about your pedal, too. It's worth a shot to ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:17 pm 

I'm pretty sure dunlop don't know anything about it. They don't really have anything to do with Dallas Arbiter other than buying the rights to the Fuzz Face. I tried to contact Arbiter electronics who are still around and reissued some of the Sound City amps and they don't know anything about it unfortunately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:37 pm 

sesroh wrote:
I'm pretty sure dunlop don't know anything about it. They don't really have anything to do with Dallas Arbiter other than buying the rights to the Fuzz Face.

And the Octavia. They didn't just merely "buy the rights." Read the stories on these pedals on that link and you'll see why I suggest trying to contacting them. Your odds are better that one of their R&D team knows something about this pedal than anyplace else you've looked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:57 pm 

dallas arbiter didn't make the octavia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:08 pm 

sesroh wrote:
dallas arbiter didn't make the octavia

...so therefore Dunlop's R&D couldn't possibly know anything. It's so clear now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:07 pm 

All I'm saying is there is probably no point in contacting them because I'm 95% positive that they won't know anything. Dunlop is a completely different company. If they havn't reissued it, they don't know anything about it. I've contacted arbiter and if they don't know anything about their own product, then dunlop won't either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:25 pm 

bump

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:08 am 

I have heard zappa say he used
Tycobrahe Octavia(fuzz octave)

not heard alot of the company maybe they have connections.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:02 pm 

repairing fz's delay

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:30 am 

sesroh wrote:
Hey, I'm sure there are some people here that know a bunch about Frank Zappa's guitar sound and effects he used. I made a post on the harmony central forum to try to find information on a specific effect.

Hoping someone here has any info! Here's what I posted on the other forum:

In the early 70s, My dad worked at the warehouse for Dallas Arbiter in London, England. Circa 1973, he aquired a Dallas Arbiter Trem Face and an Add-A-Sound. I'm guessing many of you know what a Trem Face is and have heard about the guy who found a box of them hidden away at the warehouse in 1988 that had been stored approximately since the days my dad worked at Dallas Arbiter. It's estimated that there are probably no more than 100 original Trem Face units in existence. The Trem Face came straight from the warehouse (paid for it at the warehouse) and the Add-A-Sound was bought used from the Dallas Arbiter shop in London.

What we're trying to find out is why the Add-a-Sound is completely unknown? I've googled it many times and cannot find anything other than one page (yelpinghounds website) saying that one of the members from the Groundhogs used one in a recording. After using the Add-A-Sound for many years, my father was positive that Frank Zappa used the effects unit on some of his recordings. Even in parts of the Jimi Hendrix Experience Purple Haze single sounds like an Add-A-Sound was used, although it is said to be an Octavia (add-a-sound is slightly similar sounding). The proof is inside the cover of The Mothers of Invention's 1970 album, Burnt Weeny Sandwich.

Here are some photos of the artwork of the album picturing the unit and some photos of the actual unit.

Does anybody in the world know anything about this unit?

Proof: Frank getting to grips with the Arbiter in Amsterdam. He purchased this (I believe) in London after some gigs in 1967. He is pictured at the Concertgebouw

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:02 pm 

Revealing information about the Dallas-Arbiter. The image is spaceballed (whatever that means)

but give the post-er a pat on the back:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mganda/290 ... 340723007/

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:15 pm 

great find!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:08 am 

Dweezil Zappa Answers How Much Of His Father Frank Zappa’s Gear Is Still Around: “Almost None”

By
Eray Erel -
September 15, 2021

https://www.metalcastle.net/dweezil-zappa-answers-how-much-of-his-father-frank-zappas-gear-is-still-around-almost-none/

Dweezil Zappa says none of his father Frank Zappa’s great is still around.

The American rock guitarist Dweezil Zappa, best known as the son of musical composer and performer Frank Zappa, discussed his father’s music gear and said almost none of them were still around.

Born on December 21, 1940, Frank Zappa was an American musician who’s been influencing countless musicians since his first day. In his 30-plus career, Frank Zappa had released more than 60 albums with his rock band The Mothers Of Invention and as a solo artist.

On December 4, 1993, an inspiring musician passed away 17 days before his 53rd birthday. The cause of death of Frank Zappa was prostate cancer. When the musician was giving his last breathes, he was at home alongside his wife and children.

Dweezil followed his father’s steps during his lifetime. Releasing his first single at the age of 12, which was produced by Eddie Van Halen from Van Halen, the musician had learned his guitar players such as Steve Vai and Eddie.

However, in a new appearance on Live from Nerdville with Joe Bonamassa, Zappa has touched on his father’s gear these days. When the interviewer asked him how much of his father’s gear is still around, Zappa answered “almost none. It’s gone off because of the way the family trust decided to deal with things.”

Dweezil Admits He Has A Few Gear Of His Father Frank Zappa

He later admitted that he has a few guitars of his late father. He exampled the stuff he has and said there is a 50-year Dynaflanger.

“Almost none. It’s gone off because of the way the family trust decided to deal with things.

“I have one or two of his guitars, and I happen to know this stuff that he used so I can approximate stuff.

“For example, the Dynaflanger, it’s almost a 50-year-old piece of equipment so it’s not gonna always function properly.

“But knowing how it works, I can use the Fractal to actually do a very good recreation of the functionality, but I can actually do more with the Fractal than I could with the Dynaflanger because you have way more control over the perimeters.

“Just the knowledge of how it works gets you so much more than the piece of the gear itself. So the same thing can be said about any kind of amplifier.

“If you are in the studio, and you know the kind of thing that you want – if you want a certain extra bit of distortion that maybe you’ve heard on the record, maybe it’s not from the amp, maybe it’s from the mic pre, maybe it’s from a tape machine, maybe from compressor…

“Those things, that little 2-3-4-5 percent that adds up to the magic, and that’s the thing that all of us love playing and want that thing that makes you feel good.

“It may not only be from the guitar and the amp, it might be from the other processing that captures it for the person to hear it.”