Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:26 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
I saw the KAOS tour when I was a teenager and it was kinda lame. Even then I knew the album was not good. The worst part of the whole show was when he went into Pigs and then only played the first verse before veering off. That was much worse than not playing it at all. Looking back now I realize that his band at the time could not have pulled it off. Still, Mel Collins was up there on the winds.

btw, I thought Momentary Lapse Of Reason was even worse than Kaos. At least Waters used his own name.

And since Roger Waters didn't own the name, Pink Floyd kept it after Waters LEFT them a few years earlier...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:40 am 

coevad wrote:
Roger Waters will tour North America in 2017! - well what do ya know!

We now know what Roger Waters was up to with the recent cryptic posts on his website. He has a new tour coming next year.

The Roger Waters – Us + Them tour will launch in the U.S. on May 26 in Kansas City and wrap up on Oct. 28 in Vancouver. In between, he’ll play more than 40 dates in the States and Canada, including shows in Denver, Las Vegas, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Boston and Toronto. You can see the full list of tour dates below.

A press release announcing the tour promises the tour “will showcase highlights from Waters’ groundbreaking body of work.” Presumably, the 1973 song that gives the tour its name — “Us and Them,” from Pink Floyd‘s landmark The Dark Side of the Moon album — will be one of them.

“We are going to take a new show on the road, the content is very secret,” Waters says. “It’ll be a mixture of stuff from my long career, stuff from my years with Pink Floyd, some new things. Probably 75 percent of it will be old material and 25 percent will be new, but it will be all connected by a general theme. It will be a cool show, I promise you. It’ll be spectacular like all my shows have been.”

The press release also notes that Waters’ stage show feature a state-of-the-art audio-visual production and quad sound, and hints that the upcoming concerts will include even more spectacular sights and sounds.

This will be Waters’ first tour since The Wall Live, which ran from 2010-13. That world tour reached more than four million fans and, according to the press release, “remains the highest grossing tour by any solo artist in history.”

Waters was part of the Desert Trip classic-rock festival in California last weekend. He returns this weekend for another round.

Tickets for Roger Waters – Us + Them go on sale on Oct. 21; VIP packages and Citi pre-sale tickets start on Oct. 17 (except for the Canadian dates). In addition to the shows listed below, concerts in San Antonio and Winnipeg will be added later. You can find more ticket information at AEG Live‘s site.

Roger Waters 2017 Tour Dates
May 26 – Kansas City, MO – Sprint Center
May 28 – Louisville, KY – KFC Yum! Center
May 30 – St. Louis, MO – Scottrade Center
June 1 – Tulsa, OK – BOK Center
June 3 – Denver, CO – Pepsi Center
June 7 – San Jose, CA – SAP Center at San Jose
June 12 – Sacramento, CA – Golden 1 Center
June 14 – Phoenix, AZ – Gila River Arena
June 16 – Las Vegas, NV – T-Mobile Arena
June 20 – Los Angeles, CA – STAPLES Center
June 21 – Los Angeles, CA – STAPLES Center
June 24 – Seattle, WA – Tacoma Dome
July 3 – Dallas, TX – American Airlines Center
July 6 – Houston, TX – Toyota Center
July 11 – Tampa, FL – Amalie Arena
July 13 – Miami, FL – AmericanAirlines Arena
July 16 – Atlanta, GA – Infinite Energy Arena
July 18 – Greensboro, NC – Greensboro Coliseum
July 20 – Columbus, OH – Nationwide Arena
July 22 – Chicago, IL – United Center
July 23 – Chicago, IL – United Center
July 26 – St. Paul, MN – Xcel Energy Center
August 2 – Detroit, MI – The Palace of Auburn Hills
August 4 – Washington, DC – Verizon Center
August 8 – Philadelphia, PA – Wells Fargo Center
August 9 – Philadelphia, PA – Wells Fargo Center
September 7 – Newark, NJ – Prudential Center
September 11 – Brooklyn, NY – Barclays Center
September 12 – Brooklyn, NY – Barclays Center
September 15 – Uniondale, NY – Nassau Coliseum
September 19 – Pittsburgh, PA – PPG Paints Arena
September 27 – Boston, MA – TD Garden
September 28 – Boston, MA – TD Garden
October 2 – Toronto, ON – Air Canada Centre
October 3 – Toronto, ON – Air Canada Centre
October 6 – Quebec City, QC – Videotron Centre
October 10 – Ottawa, ON – Canadian Tire Centre
October 16 – Montreal, QC – Bell Centre
October 24 – Edmonton, AB – Rogers Place
October 28 – Vancouver, BC – Rogers Arena

I sure hope he keep all the Animals tunes in the setlist.

that's a lot of dates.....could go world.....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:47 am 

Location: Behind a ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk
I hope he comes back to Brazil, as well as your southern spot of the world-piano...

I like KAOS. I rank it better than Pros and Cons, and after Amused to Death. I like the concept, the morse code going through, the story... There is that very characteristic bemoaned 80s sound, but I like Who needs information, Four Minutes and some other ballad there. I have heard the the shows were very, very nice, in terms of concept and art, but I totally see where you're coming from with the abridged (or rather mutilated) Pigs. My first contact with the tour was through the famous QC city gig boot. I have the original tape and now the vinyl. I think I will spin it in the breakfast today...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:29 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
At least Waters used his own name.

If we're going by names Pink Floyd was dead since January 1968...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:19 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
I like KAOS.
My favourite Waters album.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:29 pm 

Let's just say my teenage mindset was not impressed by Andy Fairweather Low and Paul Carrack.

And The Tide Is Turning is one of the worst songs in the history of recorded music. Live Aid as the redeemer of mankind?

Caputh wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:
At least Waters used his own name.

If we're going by names Pink Floyd was dead since January 1968...

Yeah, yeah.
PF made a good album after Syd B departed. Then made several more.
Momentary Lapse had almost no good songs and a bunch of other hands on the controls. Since when does a pf album have no good songs? To call it pink floyd, at that point, was ridiculous. It's not as if Saucer had a bunch of outside hacks trying to make it sound like pink floyd. And pasting on a picture of Rick Wright with Mason and Gilmour was absurd.
are they rubbing their thighs together?

I accept Division Bell as pink floyd. Lapse is more of a Gilmour solo album with hired hands trying desperately to make it sound like pink floyd.

Not that I have a preference when it comes to Gilmour and Waters. They are both dull since they split up. Waters is much more annoying, of course. When he bitched to Rolling Stone about Gilmour and Mason that was a real low point. It seems even lamer now that he has only made one proper album since then. He's another nostalgia act.

They call it riding the gravy train.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:54 pm 

Oh, I like their music after Syd B. departed...
But for me "Scream Thy Last Scream", "Vegetable Man" and "Jugband Blues" was another possible route they should/could have taken... but didn't.

Just lyrically speaking, they're miles ahead of what Waters has ever attempted, IMHO. Still, each to his own...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:25 pm 

Jugband Blues is just about my favorite pink floyd song.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:08 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Yeah, yeah.
PF made a good album after Syd B departed. Then made several more.
Momentary Lapse had almost no good songs and a bunch of other hands on the controls. Since when does a pf album have no good songs? To call it pink floyd, at that point, was ridiculous. It's not as if Saucer had a bunch of outside hacks trying to make it sound like pink floyd. And pasting on a picture of Rick Wright with Mason and Gilmour was absurd.
are they rubbing their thighs together?

I accept Division Bell as pink floyd. Lapse is more of a Gilmour solo album with hired hands trying desperately to make it sound like pink floyd.

Not that I have a preference when it comes to Gilmour and Waters. They are both dull since they split up. Waters is much more annoying, of course. When he bitched to Rolling Stone about Gilmour and Mason that was a real low point. It seems even lamer now that he has only made one proper album since then. He's another nostalgia act.

They call it riding the gravy train.

What you don't seem to realize is that even before Waters left, by the early '80s, Rick wasn't in the band any longer. In fact, Rick wasn't officially a member of Pink Floyd again until after the A Momentary Lapse Of Reason album and tour. On the tour, he was a salaried employee. This was partly because of the legal dispute Floyd had with Waters at the time. And since Mason barely wrote anything, of course there were going to be session musicians and other songwriters contributing to this album...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:24 pm 

^I do realize all of that. Wright was fired during the wall etc...

My point is I didn't like the album, and I gave reasons. They didn't hire outside writers after Syd left. And Rick Wright as an afterthought was too little too late to save the album. Sure, they had the right to the name pink floyd but they ended up with an album that was inferior even to The Final Cut. I would not have been disappointed if it was a Gilmour solo album because I had heard About Face. I had never heard a pink floyd album I didn't like before.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:55 am 

Pink Floyd, Roger Waters, David Gilmour, Rick Wright, Nick Mason and all combinations thereof, I love it all in a conceptual continuity kind of way, except that wrist slitter The Final Cut, there's maybe only one or two songs I can listen to, all the others are on my never ever play list. My life was in the toilet when The Final Cut was released, hearing it used to drag me back there and evoke some pretty dark memories. Having said that I might have to give it a spin to see if it's improved with age, or if it can still unleash my black dogs of depression.....

If you don't hear from me for a week call 911

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:19 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Pink Floyd, Roger Waters, David Gilmour, Rick Wright, Nick Mason and all combinations thereof, I love it all in a conceptual continuity kind of way

Agreed. The rest is all bullshit drama imho. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:58 pm 

I like "The final cut". Some good lyrics. Like "two suns in the Sunset"

"like the moment when the brakes lock
and you slide toward the big truck
you strech the frozen mement with your fear"

I guess I'm the way I am...
Waters make me think twice.
Gilmour ? Nice guitar.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:00 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
^I do realize all of that. Wright was fired during the wall etc...

My point is I didn't like the album, and I gave reasons. They didn't hire outside writers after Syd left. And Rick Wright as an afterthought was too little too late to save the album. Sure, they had the right to the name pink floyd but they ended up with an album that was inferior even to The Final Cut. I would not have been disappointed if it was a Gilmour solo album because I had heard About Face. I had never heard a pink floyd album I didn't like before.

My point was that you criticized them for hiring non-member songwriters during this point in time and I gave you reasons why they HAD to.

And personally, I think AMLOR shits all over The Final Cut. Or just about anything Waters wrote for his solo career, for that matter...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:15 am 

Ah, "the Final Cunt" - "Not Now, John" is really rather good IMO, but that's probably because it's the only song that Gilmour sings on. Waters just whines what DB would probably rightly call "lefty platitudes" on the rest.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:34 pm 

That's, however, an homage to a father he never knew. I find it rather moving.
In fact, I prefer that album over Animal.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:53 pm 

button your lip
and don't let the shield slip
take a fresh grip
on your bullet proof mask

Paranoid Eyes with Gilmour vocals and Gilmour guitars and Gilmour production could have been very good. Instead it's dull. A lot of the album is that way. The title track is great as is. A few others. Waters didn't appreciate Gilmour by 1983. He didn't care how much he brought to the table musically. It was Waters band (check out the line "this band is MY band!" from Towers Of Faith) and he destroyed it by taking for granted and then losing respect for one of the most majestic voices (vocals AND guitar) in rock music.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:19 am 

Location: Behind a ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk
The guitar solo section is worth the song:

Pink Floyd The Fletcher Memorial Home
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyiYEJcXwn4

"The Fletcher Memorial Home" (the title is a nod to Waters' lost father) reflects the fantasy of gathering together political leaders such as Leonid Brezhnev, Menachem Begin, and Margaret Thatcher, and executing them all.
The Final Cut is an anti-war concept album, whose lyrics explore what Waters regards as the betrayal of fallen British servicemen—such as his father—who during World War II sacrificed their lives in the spirit of a post-war dream. This post-war dream was that their victory would usher in a more peaceful world, whose leaders would no longer be so eager to solve disputes by resorting to war. The album's lyrics are critical of Thatcher, whose policies and decisions Waters regarded as an example of this betrayal. She is referred to as "Maggie" throughout the album.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:23 am 

There's a lot in this album.
But you have to have an open mind and let that Gilmour-Waters affair behind,

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:56 pm 

I guess there's not really a good reason to compare Gilmour and Waters, because it's sort of a symbiotic relationship. They made great music together, and after that they both pretty much sucked. The important thing is that Pink Floyd was great.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:15 pm 

Roger Waters is the latest interview on Marc Maron's WTF podcast. Getting ready to listen to it now. "Lock the gates!".

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:30 am 

For what it's worth (and not that I agree), Waters said on Mark Maron's podcast that Gilmour and Wright tried to psychically tear him downL

Quote:
“I think it was really important that I got away when I did,” he said. He went on to elucidate how his bandmates’ criticism hampered his own sense of possibility. “Well, I was in a very toxic environment, where I was around some people…well, David and Rick mainly, who were always trying to drag me down. They were always trying to knock me off whatever that perch was.”

When asked how they would try to knock him down, Waters answered, “By claiming that I was tone deaf and that I didn’t understand music.” He imitated some of the feedback he would hear, “‘Oh, he’s just a boring kind of teacher figure who tells us what to do, but he can’t tune his own guitar.'”

Waters added, “They were very snotty and snippy because they felt very insignificant, I think.” But he clarified that it wasn’t all bad. “I’m not putting them down,” he said. “Those years that we were together, whatever it was like socially, there is no question that we did some really good work together.”

http://radio.com/2016/11/03/roger-water ... vironment/

As I said a few years ago in this thread, my favorite member of Pink Floyd was the late Rick Wright. As good and as underrated as George Harrison with the Beatles.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:36 am 

Preferring this actually...
Suave side of the moon,
https://soundcloud.com/david-minnick

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:46 am 

me myself, this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jlBUy_O3Dk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:40 am 

deuce wrote:
Preferring this actually...
Suave side of the moon,
https://soundcloud.com/david-minnick

Certainly zappish.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next