Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:00 pm 

I'm actually debating about whether to buy this...

http://www.pinkfloyd.com/news/pdfs/Comp ... isting.pdf

The trouble is, I'm only vitally interested in 1965-67 (apart from "The Narrow Way", which I love and the Waters' track "Granchester Meadows", the only time he got close to Syd and I think that's only because I come from Cambridge ).

How many of you are planning on investing in the whole thing?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:01 pm 

^ I won't be buying it. I have a lot of it. Not as good quality, I'm sure. 20 years ago I might have grabbed it.

Here's Vegetable Man (sounds great!). Cue to about the 51 minute mark...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0806zr5#play

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:10 pm 

Location: Behind a ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk
These days, I only wish I had the bucks to indulge in such a treat.

I must say, though, that at 16 I became a proud owner of a Shine On box set, leading me to near-bankruptcy while living abroad...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:40 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
^ I won't be buying it. I have a lot of it. Not as good quality, I'm sure. 20 years ago I might have grabbed it.

Here's Vegetable Man (sounds great!). Cue to about the 51 minute mark...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0806zr5#play

Sounds fantastic - a much better mix than the Peter Jenner one. This song really presaged punk. Thanks very much for the link

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:33 pm 

David Gilmour, Robert Wyatt - Comfortably Numb

https://youtu.be/_YpfzmAQvoc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:00 pm 

Soundcheck 1977

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:10 am 

Waters & Mason are talking about a Glastonbury reunion this year.

http://radio.com/2017/02/17/pink-floyd- ... astonbury/

Quote:
If David Gilmour were to take the olive branch that has been extended, Nick Mason and Roger Waters said they’d reunite and play Glastonbury as Pink Floyd in the near future.

Speaking at the opening of a new Pink Floyd exhibit in London, both Mason and Waters said they’d consider playing the British music festival with Gilmour.

But even if Gilmour agreed and they performed together, I wouldn't think of it as vintage Pink Floyd without Rick Wright. As I've said before (in this thread and elsewhere), Rick Wright was to Pink Floyd what George Harrison was to the Beatles.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:31 pm 

Location: Behind a ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk
Finally, a fresh, lush, (young at heart and) sophisticated, current, giant musical production. It was worth the wait, an album for an era.

Album Review: Roger Waters - Is This The Life We Really Want?

Never exactly a cheeky chappy during his decades fronting Pink Floyd, on his first record in 25 years Roger Waters is straight-up incandescent. He lashes out at the weaknesses in the democratic system that swept a “nincompoop” into the White House and blames human-kind in general for the decline in the standards of our leaders (we are, after all, the ones voting them into power).

But if the record’s anger and tendency towards diatribe suggest a Twitter rant extended over 75 minutes, there is still lots to delight Floyd fans. With Radiohead producer Nigel Godrich behind the sound desk, Waters conjures a stoic grandeur instantly familiar to anyone raised on Dark Side of the Moon and, in particular, The Wall — a project likewise obsessed with inter-generational tension and political incompetence.

Orchestral swells underpin his careworn yelp as Godrich weaves in eerie found-sounds: squalling gulls, distorted radio broadcasts, the communiqués from pilots on bombing runs over the Middle East. Waters is further assisted by Jonathan Wilson, delivering David Gilmour-esque walls of guitar angst, and indie girl-duo Lucius, whose sad-siren backing vocals recall the ghostly ululations of Clare Torry on ‘The Great Gig in the Sky’.

What’s changed is that the singer is now confronting real-world traumas head on. ‘The Last Refugee’ is a funereal rumination on what it must feel like for those fleeing Syria across the Mediterranean; on ‘Part Of Me Died’ he pours his rancour over Trump into a stately rock-out.

A Floyd-esque concept record inspired by yesterday’s most bruising headlines, Is This The Life We Really Want? at times feels like a nostalgia-wallow.

Far from mellowing, with age Waters has turned increasingly cantankerousness and preachy.

But if you can bare to be lectured on the evils of drone strikes and the stupidity of the Trump administration (thanks Roger, but we already received the memo on that) the Floyd-esque touches make this worth delving into.

Amid the sourness and dourness, are glimmerings of the old Floyd majesty and of Waters’ singular talent for blending the confessional and the universal.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/artsfilmtv/album-review-roger-waters--is-this-the-life-we-really-want-451593.html

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:06 am 

I vote for Peter Gilmore and Muddy Waters :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:17 am 

In the Floydian universe I would have to say that for me....

Roger for lyrics and ideas....musically he is weaker and needs someone like David (and Rick) to flesh his musical ideas out.

David for music and melody...lyrically he is generally only average at best. Same with Polly.

Added note...Syd for out-of-the-box-left-field-not-many-others-would-have-thought-of-this musical explorations and songs.
Sometimes I think had he not cracked he and Roger could have been another Lennon and McCartney, Jagger Richards kind of team with David a very strong kind of George Harrison figure. But we will never know.

Love the Floyd....less so the solo efforts of any of them except maybe Syd but due to his state they could have been better.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:29 pm 

Pink Floyd's Roger Waters defends his anti-Trump tour

(CNN) An inflatable pig with Donald Trump's face on the side. Screens that show doctored images of the President throwing up. Photos of Trump with Russian President Vladimir Putin, as a big baby, and as Hitler.

They're just a few of the images music fans can catch on Pink Floyd co-founder Roger Waters' 54-date North American tour, "Us + Them," which kicked off on May 26 and coincides with the release of Water's first studio album in 25 years, "Is This the Life We Really Want?"

The political nature of his show, Waters told CNN, is a calculated and defiant response to what he calls the "charade" of the American presidency.

more here :arrow: http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/15/us/roger- ... index.html

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:19 pm 

^^^I saw the show in Sacramento. I didn't see any signs of a conservative backlash. I knew what to expect as I had seen the Mexico City performance from last fall on YouTube.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:53 pm 

KUIII wrote:
^^^I saw the show in Sacramento. I didn't see any signs of a conservative backlash. I knew what to expect as I had seen the Mexico City performance from last fall on YouTube.

I knew what to expect because it's Roger Waters.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:38 pm 

Syd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:16 am 

KUIII wrote:

I actually heard cheering during those displays which is unusual for Conservative Nor Cal... :idea:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:23 pm 

Thatfabulousalien wrote:
I vote for Peter Gilmore and Muddy Waters :mrgreen:

:smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:12 pm 

I vote for Syd.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6