Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Dick Dale
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:05 am 

If you don't know who Dick Dale is by name, you've probably at least heard the song "Miserlou" from the movie Pulp Fiction. It's that killer instrumental guitar song in the beginning of the movie. Dick Dale pretty much created and defined what became surf guitar music. I figured he'd fit in over here under "legends." He's 70 and up until his recent health problems he was still touring. I saw him a couple of years ago and he was still fierce. If he tours again and you get a chance to see him live, I'd say do it. You won't believe that raw huge sound he gets. Recordings can't fully capture it, you gotta be in the room. If you're interested in checking him out, there are lots of clips on Youtube.

Anyway, here's some news on him that I ran across. He tells what's going on right now with his cancer. He's gone in for surgery today.

LATEST DICK DALE NEWS HAPPENINGS

==================================

I want to thank all my music lovers for supporting me these last 3 months

with your Wonderful heartfelt letters praying for my speedy recovery

as I battle this demon that Attacks so many other friends and their loved ones.

So for now, no touring for a while.... I have rectal cancer....

I had to undergo 6 weeks of chemotherapy and radiation

every day, Monday through Friday.

Now I have rested and healed another 6 weeks from the Radiation and Chemotherapy.

April 4, 2008 my surgeon Dr Hoffman and 2 other surgeons

will cut out the tumor at Cedars - Sinai Medical Center Hospital in Hollywood, Ca.

I will have chemo afterwards to finish up.

Then I will kick back and heal….

Then I will go back into reconstructive surgery and more Chemo.

Then go to Hawaii and surf....

I again, thank all of you from my deep within and promise me, keep smiling…. D

Last edited by swiftkicknow on Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:17 am 

I don't know him (and no other surf music beyond early Zappa), but I really enjoy that opening tune for Pulp Fiction. Just love the trumpet arrangements! The movie did make it a very popular hit here...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:28 am 

Pulp Fiction was how I found out about him myself. When I heard that song it just nailed me, so I started digging up recordings of him and reading about him. He's a fascinating guy. He was the reason high powered guitar amplifiers were first invented. Check this story out:

"Leo Fender gave the Fender Stratocaster along with a Fender Amp to Dale and told him to beat it to death and tell him what he thought of it. Dale took the guitar and started to beat it to death, and he blew up Leo Fender's amp and blew out the speaker. Dale proceeded to blow up forty nine amps and speakers; they would actually catch on fire. Leo would say, 'Dick, why do you have to play so loud?' Dale would explain that he wanted to create the sound of Gene Krupa the famous jazz drummer that created the sounds of the native dancers in the jungles along with the roar of mother nature's creature's and the roar of the ocean.

Leo Fender kept giving Dale amps and Dale kept blowing them up! Till one night Leo and his right hand man Freddy T. went down to the Rendezvous Ballroom on the Balboa Peninsula in Balboa, California and stood in the middle of Four Thousand screaming dancing Dick Dale fans and said to Freddy, I now know what Dick Dale is trying to tell me. Back to the drawing board. A special 85 watt output transformer was made that peaked 100 watts when dale would pump up the volume of his amp, this transformer would create the sounds along with Dale's style of playing, the kind of sounds that Dale dreamed of. BUT! they now needed a speaker that would handle the power and not burn up from the volume that would come from Dale's guitar.

Leo, Freddy and Dale went to the James B. Lansing speaker company, and they explained that they wanted a fifteen inch speaker built to their specifications. That speaker would soon be known as the 15'' JBL -D130 speaker. It made the complete package for Dale to play through and was named the Single Showman Amp. When Dale plugged his Fender Stratocaster guitar into the new Showman Amp and speaker cabinet, Dale became the first creature on earth to jump from the volume scale of a modest quiet guitar player on a scale of 4 to blasting up through the volume scale to TEN! That is when Dale became the "Father of Heavy Metal"
-as quoted from Guitar Player Magazine.

Post subject: Dick Dale
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:48 am 
Banned

Dick Dale is a legend. Check out "Dick Dale's History" at the following link.

http://www.dickdale.com/history.html

Here are a couple of my posts from earlier this year, which can be found in the thread titled "To what are you listening? Spiffy 2008 Edition".

February 27, 2008
jimmie d killed the forum wrote:
Dick Dale: Unknown Territory (1994)
The "Grandfather of Surf Guitar" is still tearin' it up after all these years.

March 7, 2008
jimmie d killed the forum wrote:
Dick Dale & His Del-Tones: King Of The Surf Guitar: The Best Of Dick Dale & His Del-Tones (1989)
16 tracks originally recorded 1961-1964, plus 1 from 1986 & 1 from 1987

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:56 am 

Great stuff. His version of "Ghost Riders in The Sky" on "Unknown Territory" is the best version by anybody I've ever heard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:27 am 

Dick Dale with Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:47 am 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:

Goddamn, that wig and jacket were disturbing! I hope he got paid a SHITLOAD extra for having to do that. :shock: Fuckin' '80's. :twisted:
I never knew he and SRV recorded anything together. I've read before where SRV mentioned Dick Dale was one of his influences.

Here's a clip from his 2006 tour which was the one I saw. He would play guitar all night, but at points would play drums, trumpet and bass. The audio and video are out of synch here but it gives you a pretty good example of how he was performing at 68 years old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETb8ShAK ... re=related

And I gotta include this one. Here's a clip of Dick giving career advice to a musician/fan who interviewed him in the parking lot after a show. He lays out just about everything you need to know to be independent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AJxc3Lxn4o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:06 am 
Banned

SPACEBROTHER wrote:

The song with Stevie Ray Vaughan is on the "Best Of" album.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:50 pm 

Dick Dale is great, I really should listen to him more often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:11 pm 

Dick Dale and The Ventures are probably the greatest surf rockers of all time.

"If you wind up with a boring, miserable life because you listened to your mother, your Dad, your priest, to some guy on television, to any of the people telling you how to do your shit, then you DESERVE it."

Post subject: Re: Dick Dale
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:10 pm 

RIP https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/03/dick-dale-dead/

Post subject: Re: Dick Dale
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:31 am 

longmont potion castle knows who dick dale is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWjHsI9P0UY&t=154s