Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:05 am 

Vellini wrote:
:x Let's see now...."Coke". Ah yes, I was attending a Zappa Concert in Chicago when some moronic type tossed a gigantic plastic cup of Coke all over Frank and his guitar, halting the Concert. The intimidating John Smothers was quickly dispatched into the Audience to apprehend the asshole who threw the vile foamy liquid. Folks seated in the area of the asshole were quick to point him out to Mr. Smothers. While this was going on Frank calmly sat down on Stage and began to clean and re-string his guitar. Eventually Mr. Smothers dragged the asshole onto the Stage at which point Frank asked him why he had done such a thing. He also asked the Audience what should be done to the asshole. The Audience, of course, was yelling for blood. Frank again asked the asshole why he had done such a horrible thing. The asshole mumbled something unintelligible and more screaming from the audience followed. Frank asked the asshole one last time, "Why did you do such a stupid thing?" The asshole started mumbling again but finally formed the words, "SHUT UP 'N PLAY YER GUITAR!!!" Mr. Smothers then dragged the asshole off stage and we never saw him again--or wanted to. But that is the true origin of Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar and the only Frank Coke Story that I know. .... Vellini

hmm very interesting story Thanks for sharing. What year was this that this happened? Any clue, could this witnessed incident be the origin of title SUAPYG??

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:49 pm 

:x To the Best of my knowledge this WAS the origin of SUAPYG. Certainly somebody else is out there who was at that Concert in Chicago. As for the Date I'll try to dredge it up. I've been attending Zappa Shows since 1969 and have seen dozens of shows. At some point it all starts to melt together. (it's tough to get old) But I'll try to find some of the people I was with and perhaps I can pinpoint it. Keep watching this Space. :x

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:44 pm 

:x The SUAPYG Show was probably in 1977 or 1978 at the Uptown Theatre in Chicago. Most likely 9-29-78. But I'm still working on it..Vellini

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:06 pm 

I LIKE IT...INTERESTING!!!
Vellini wrote:
:x Let's see now...."Coke". Ah yes, I was attending a Zappa Concert in Chicago when some moronic type tossed a gigantic plastic cup of Coke all over Frank and his guitar, halting the Concert. The intimidating John Smothers was quickly dispatched into the Audience to apprehend the asshole who threw the vile foamy liquid. Folks seated in the area of the asshole were quick to point him out to Mr. Smothers. While this was going on Frank calmly sat down on Stage and began to clean and re-string his guitar. Eventually Mr. Smothers dragged the asshole onto the Stage at which point Frank asked him why he had done such a thing. He also asked the Audience what should be done to the asshole. The Audience, of course, was yelling for blood. Frank again asked the asshole why he had done such a horrible thing. The asshole mumbled something unintelligible and more screaming from the audience followed. Frank asked the asshole one last time, "Why did you do such a stupid thing?" The asshole started mumbling again but finally formed the words, "SHUT UP 'N PLAY YER GUITAR!!!" Mr. Smothers then dragged the asshole off stage and we never saw him again--or wanted to. But that is the true origin of Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar and the only Frank Coke Story that I know. .... Vellini

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:24 am 

Vellini wrote:

Great story

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:22 pm 

Vellini wrote:

Cool! Got any more stories? I gotta find this concert.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:02 pm 

My_Name_Is_Fritz wrote:
Weird thread it is. Anybody wondered if it was just a Coke or a Diet Coke. Could be also a Cherry or a Vanilla Coke.

It was good ol' regular Coke. 8)

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:54 am 

Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
My_Name_Is_Fritz wrote:
Weird thread it is. Anybody wondered if it was just a Coke or a Diet Coke. Could be also a Cherry or a Vanilla Coke.

It was good ol' regular Coke. 8)

Thanks, Mr. Nice Guy. Nice picture by the way.