Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:07 pm 

Okay, I'm not trying to be an ass here, nor am I trying to be morbid or pry into anyone's private matters....BUT I need someone to answer a question that I have. I (maybe seem to?) remember reading or hearing that Frank's last words before his death were "coke" then his family had a coke in his honor. The reason I ask is I was questioned on where I heard or read this and I can't seem to remember. I thought it was from the Beverly D' Angelo narrated NPR special from some years back, but then found out that wasn't it. Maybe I read it around these parts? I'm not sure, and I need your help. If true, a link or some other slab of info or proof would be helpful.

Again, sorry if this is a terrible subject or it offends anyone reading. I mean no harm and in all honesty I hope it's true. What a great way to go...having a Coke!

thanks for yours or anyone's help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:54 pm 

I don't know anything about his last words. But I do recall hearing a story that in his final days he was drinking a Coke. He pointed to it and said "Coke adds life."

It certainly wasn't his best joke, but it may have been his last...

Post subject: Father Time
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:21 pm 
Banned

I'm going under; I'm going quick; I wonder is this a trick?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:27 pm 

seems to me that they were wondering what would be a good drink to toast with. frank said,"things go better with coke". but i doubt those were his last words. he was surrounded by his family (Gail and his children), so i doubt you'll ever know what they were for sure. privacy thing, doncha know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:16 am 

It's sad to think about. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:14 pm 

I'd rather hear what Frank Zappa said when he was LIVING , rather than dying :cry:

Dying is a FAMILY matter and , IMHO , none of any fan's ( or non fan's ) business :roll:

Post subject: Re: Father Time
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:54 pm 
Banned

jimmie d killed the forum wrote:

pedro1 wrote:
Dying is a FAMILY matter and , IMHO , none of any fan's ( or non fan's ) business :roll:

Generally speaking - this is true. However, the fans were given a glimpse of the Zappas' personal insight and feelings with the release of the song Father Time by Z, from which I've quoted some lyrics, as shown above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:09 pm 

I think I've bit the big one.
just a joke,got to be with pedro1 nobody's biz

Tom Jones in the Barry miles book said he was at Umrk and Zappa was going to hospital for treatment and still had time to Tell them they song arrangement was Wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:45 am 

pedro1 wrote:

Generally speaking - this is true. However, the fans were given a glimpse of the Zappas' personal insight and feelings with the release of the song Father Time by Z, from which I've quoted some lyrics, as shown above.

Hmmmm... you know I used to collect famous last words? Of course, "last words" are usually incredibly poetic and wise, they're never like: "Hey! What's that over there?" or "Could you please move over a little so I can see the sunset?" It's part of publicity on behalf of the deceased.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:25 pm 

BBP wrote:

pedro1 wrote:

Hmmmm... you know I used to collect famous last words? Of course, "last words" are usually incredibly poetic and wise, they're never like: "Hey! What's that over there?" or "Could you please move over a little so I can see the sunset?" It's part of publicity on behalf of the deceased.

I'm surprised it's not more of "Fuck!" or other exclamations like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:39 pm 

Weird thread it is. Anybody wondered if it was just a Coke or a Diet Coke. Could be also a Cherry or a Vanilla Coke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:57 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEcvSq4SDkc

1:07

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:19 pm 

The Ig Nobel prize was just handed...

On the chemestry field:

CHEMISTRY PRIZE. Sharee A. Umpierre of the University of Puerto Rico, Joseph A. Hill of The Fertility Centers of New England (USA), Deborah J. Anderson of Boston University School of Medicine and Harvard Medical School (USA), for discovering that Coca-Cola is an effective spermicide, and to Chuang-Ye Hong of Taipei Medical University (Taiwan), C.C. Shieh, P. Wu, and B.N. Chiang (all of Taiwan) for discovering that it is not.
REFERENCE: "Effect of 'Coke' on Sperm Motility," Sharee A. Umpierre, Joseph A. Hill, and Deborah J. Anderson, New England Journal of Medicine, 1985, vol. 313, no. 21, p. 1351.
REFERENCE: "The Spermicidal Potency of Coca-Cola and Pepsi-Cola," C.Y. Hong, C.C. Shieh, P. Wu, and B.N. Chiang, Human Toxicology, vol. 6, no. 5, September 1987, pp. 395-6. [NOTE: THE JOURNAL LATER CHANGED ITS NAME. NOW CALLED "Human & experimental toxicology"]
WHO ATTENDED THE CEREMONY: Deborah Anderson, and C.Y. Hong's daughter Wan Hong

http://improbable.com/ig/winners/#ig2008

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:23 pm 

As I recall, coffee was FZ's preferred beverage.

I think it might have been the musical term 'Coda' that Frank uttered.
'Coda' could quite easily be misheard as 'Cola'.

'Coda', it's meaning, link.....

http://musiced.about.com/od/c/g/coda.htm

If his nearest and dearest truly misheard this alleged last uttering...and drank Cocaless Cola as a tribute....nah...no way...I refuse to consider the idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:50 pm 

For those who couldn't view the link....

Coda
Definition: A passage added to the final section of music piece to give a feeling of ending.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:39 am 

Coke Decisions...

Post subject: Very sad.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:39 am 

It´s sad to think about his last moments. :cry:

Frank Zappa, forever in our hearts and ears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:16 pm 

Can't wait to hear what Sloppy' makes of my personal
take on their thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:18 am 

swiftkicknow wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEcvSq4SDkc

1:07

Hahahaha.....classic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:11 am 

BROKEN HEARTS ARE FOR ASSHOLES

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:45 am 

dove_grey wrote:
seems to me that they were wondering what would be a good drink to toast with. frank said,"things go better with coke". but i doubt those were his last words. he was surrounded by his family (Gail and his children), so i doubt you'll ever know what they were for sure. privacy thing, doncha know.

he said, "release my catalogue on i-tunes and select the option to sell them as album only" that was it

Solipsism Facebook
Juno Records Vinyl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:00 pm 

TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:
dove_grey wrote:

he said, "release my catalogue on i-tunes and select the option to sell them as album only" that was it

Hahahahahaha! Good one Scrutie!

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:49 pm 

Location: Wandering aimlessly through the American wasteland...
My neighbor's last words were "Oh Shit!".

Post subject: Re: Very sad.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:25 am 

zappendrix wrote:
It´s sad to think about his last moments. :cry:

Frank Zappa, forever in our hearts and ears.

Maybe I'm getting too metaphysical but to me Frank's not really gone. He comes round every once in a while and visits me in my dreams. Of course dreams are just alternate reality.

Sometimes he comes round and plays music. Never introduces his band, but they play stuff more complex, freaky, and wild than N-Lite -- live, solely for me, sometimes bands bigger than the SNL/ZINY combo. I wish I could describe how great it is or what it sounds like. It's always new music, never any of his earthly stuff. I remember a handful of melodies and have written them down but I don't know what I'll do with them yet. It's almost like specific pieces of music are gifts just for me. One that I clearly remember and I could hum to you, and have indeed figured out certain phrases, he played as a piano/bass/drums setup (!!) with two dog-like creatures, this odd lounge jazz with Hindemith-type chord voicings, and he told me that the song is called "Snat", so maybe I'll end up writing "Snat" one day.

Sometimes he just hangs out and chats. It gets fuzzy here what he chats about but the stuff that I remember is all musical technical stuff that I hadn't previously considered and generally I wake up with a new idea to try.

Sometimes he makes cameo appearances. I remember vividly one instance where I had eaten too much sugar and was basically in sugar shock, and in that dream this big limo pulled up, the window rolled down, and it was Frank, and he said "That stuff is very bad for you."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:38 am 

:x Let's see now...."Coke". Ah yes, I was attending a Zappa Concert in Chicago when some moronic type tossed a gigantic plastic cup of Coke all over Frank and his guitar, halting the Concert. The intimidating John Smothers was quickly dispatched into the Audience to apprehend the asshole who threw the vile foamy liquid. Folks seated in the area of the asshole were quick to point him out to Mr. Smothers. While this was going on Frank calmly sat down on Stage and began to clean and re-string his guitar. Eventually Mr. Smothers dragged the asshole onto the Stage at which point Frank asked him why he had done such a thing. He also asked the Audience what should be done to the asshole. The Audience, of course, was yelling for blood. Frank again asked the asshole why he had done such a horrible thing. The asshole mumbled something unintelligible and more screaming from the audience followed. Frank asked the asshole one last time, "Why did you do such a stupid thing?" The asshole started mumbling again but finally formed the words, "SHUT UP 'N PLAY YER GUITAR!!!" Mr. Smothers then dragged the asshole off stage and we never saw him again--or wanted to. But that is the true origin of Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar and the only Frank Coke Story that I know. .... Vellini