Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:19 am 

I know that now. Thank you for re-telling me tho.

Well Feets, it's a long story, but to cut it short I don't have a typical mother-daughter bond with my mother. This is the base for my hatred towards all the "mothers rule" practice in art.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:54 am 

Like feetlightup, I can't help but find Jumbo Go Away offensive. Really, why did FZ feel the need to commemorate such a story in song? There's no satire or knowing social commentary here; it's just unpleasant.

I guess I find the "it must be just what they all need" theme in the Illinois Enema Bandit offensive as well. I don't think FZ is glorifying the actions of Bandit in any way (isn't there a thread about this somewhere?), but to me, that little repeated refrain is a glimpse into the more unpleasant parts of FZ's psyche (parts of Thing-Fish do this as well). That being said, I don't skip this song when it comes on, whereas I can't even bring myself to listen to Jumbo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:11 am 

Somewhere around here, someone has raised the point (as mil is now raising) that making fun with sexual abuse victims, as in the Enema Bandit is not so nice and I guess I can go along with that. I know he was doing some sociology for registering such a bizarre phenomena, but then I can imagine one of Michael Kenyon's (sp?) former victims and wonder what the fuck might they be feeling, some of them might definitively be offended...

Also I guess, that for not being a native English speaker, the music is sort of in the front plane, and that the words sometimes are just sound, and don't necessarily mean that much to the music as a whole... I once thought I already knew all the words for all songs, but I certainly still have a GREAT way to go still, sometimes I learn that that the actual lyrics are quite different from what I first imagined...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:34 pm 

My Mum has been offended in the past by some of FZ's tunes, but equally has liked some of them too.
However, the Stiff Records wallpaper I use on my PC...let's just say she was not a happy bunny!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:32 pm 

HAHAHAHA! "Oh, Hi Mom"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:19 pm 

Hehe...she deemed it unsuitable considering my daughter would see it. I however, argued that she had a mind most foul as it refers to the record label. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:06 pm 

aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:
Hehe...she deemed it unsuitable considering my daughter would see it. I however, argued that she had a mind most foul as it refers to the record label. :wink:

That reminds me of a Redd Foxx joke - a psychiatrist is showing his patient all these Rorschach (sp?) drawings, asking him what he sees. No matter which one he shows the patient, the patient replies that he sees "pictures of naked women". Finally the psychiatrist, amazed, stops and tells him, "sir, you most obviously have a fixation on sex!" to which the patient replied, "ME with the fixation? You're the one showing me all these dirty pictures!"

BWAAAHAHAHAHAAA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:54 pm 

feetlightup wrote:
If there's one FZ song I'm offended by, it's Jumbo Go Away. I realize it's just another example of poking fun at a deserving target, but it just comes across as mean-spirited I think. Smacking women and making fun of their weight is just not cool.

Yeah, I forgot about that one. My wife has run a battered women's shelter in the past. I could tell you some stories that might not make whacking women around such a funny thing. There's some of that same thing on Bamboozled By Love too. I loves me some Frankie, but every now and then, he fucked up in the lyrics dept.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:28 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
There's some of that same thing on Bamboozled By Love too. I loves me some Frankie, but every now and then, he fucked up in the lyrics dept.

Yeah, because everybody knows that when the character in the song comes home and finds his wife sucking off some other man, the thing he should have done is shower her with gifts and tell her she's a beautiful person no matter what.

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:00 am 

swiftkicknow wrote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:
There's some of that same thing on Bamboozled By Love too. I loves me some Frankie, but every now and then, he fucked up in the lyrics dept.

Yeah, because everybody knows that when the character in the song comes home and finds his wife sucking off some other man, the thing he should have done is shower her with gifts and tell her she's a beautiful person no matter what.

Yes, well maybe in YOUR world you'd feel just fine beating the crap out of her. In the real world, where the rest of us live, that's called assault, isn't it? Perhaps there's something short of that that he could do? So, Swifty, now you're justifying assault and murder?? That's low even for you.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:18 am 

My last girlfriend thought Frank was a babe and said she would have done him but when I asked if she ever heard his music she said no...when asked if she ever wanted to hear any she said no...funny thing was the way she said no was like she was repulsed at the idea. Odd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:34 am 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
swiftkicknow wrote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:

Yes, well maybe in YOUR world you'd feel just fine beating the crap out of her. In the real world, where the rest of us live, that's called assault, isn't it? Perhaps there's something short of that that he could do? So, Swifty, now you're justifying assault and murder?? That's low even for you.

He's telling a story, you knucklehead, not giving advice. If you want to pretend this shit doesn't go on and Frank invented this kind of story, throw out all of your Shakespeare and murder mysteries and dectective novels and blues albums, then throw out a huge portion of movies and t.v. shows, as well as the evening news. For somebody who posts on here constantly and claims to love Zappa, you seem offended by an awful lot of his songs and don't really get him at all. Are you sure your belief system isn't much closer to the PMRC? You'd be better off with James Taylor songs. They're warm and fuzzy and tepid and won't offend your delicate sensibilities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:10 pm 

dipshit wrote:
Farks Zappa wrote:
I must ask exactly what that means... I've figured out it's blowjob related, but is it more than that? :roll:

Many men say that a gum job is better than your average blow job.

Anyone catch SNL this week...they had a good one. Ashton Kutcher being the host, they of course get on the whole Demi Moore/age difference thing and do a skit on Cougars.

One such Cougar made a comment about a "blow joy".

"Blow Joy?" Another cougar asks....

"let me tell ya honey, it was no job!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:40 pm 

swiftkicknow wrote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:
swiftkicknow wrote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:

He's telling a story, you knucklehead, not giving advice. If you want to pretend this shit doesn't go on and Frank invented this kind of story, throw out all of your Shakespeare and murder mysteries and dectective novels and blues albums, then throw out a huge portion of movies and t.v. shows, as well as the evening news. For somebody who posts on here constantly and claims to love Zappa, you seem offended by an awful lot of his songs and don't really get him at all. Are you sure your belief system isn't much closer to the PMRC? You'd be better off with James Taylor songs. They're warm and fuzzy and tepid and won't offend your delicate sensibilities.

Yes, I knew that'd be your response. I fully anticipated that you would be the first to jump up and defend lyrics about beating the shit out of someone, because you are so predictable. As I said, I could tell you a thousand stories of the sickest, most vile and hateful abuse and killing, in the realm of "domestic violence." So I completely get that this stuff happens all the time. But I don't care if it's Frank or anyone else. It's lame and defending it seems even lamer. You are nothing if not the great defender of the status quo. The protector of low expectations. The guy who always has the best interests of the majority in mind.

Frank wrote about what he wanted. I love him for it, but don't necessarily agree with it all. I'm not a stupid cow who thinks every word out of Frank's mouth is a gem for the ages. I ain't ever said a word about censorship, or even that he should have changed ANYTHING. YOU, you silly douchebag, are the one who is always wanting to squash dissent. You are a boring mindless little prick who challenges NOTHING about the world around him, and feigns a demeanor of open mindedness to cloak his intense fear of change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:56 pm 

Quote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:
Yes, I knew that'd be your response. I fully anticipated that you would be the first to jump up and defend lyrics about beating the shit out of someone because you are so predictable.

And I knew you'd defend his wife blowing another man without any consequences whatsoever.

Bamboozled is a story based on a plot that's as old as time, not a rally call to go beat women up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_of_passion

Quote:
As I said, I could tell you a thousand stories of the sickest, most vile and hateful abuse and killing, in the realm of "domestic violence." So I completely get that this stuff happens all the time. But I don't care if it's Frank or anyone else. It's lame and defending it seems even lamer.

I'm not defending beating people up. Frank is not promoting beating people up. He's telling a story. it's a report. It's neither pro or con, but you sure as fuck are trying to shift it to be, which is exactly the tactics used by your ultra-liberal buddies the PMRC. You DON'T love Frank for saying what was on his mind. You believe there are some things that should never be talked about. I guess you believe when he wrote "Magdelana" he was promoting incest, too, right?

Quote:
You are nothing if not the great defender of the status quo. The protector of low expectations. The guy who always has the best interests of the majority in mind.

Nice description of yourself there, Ultra Lefty. You're the one with the party line agenda, not me.

Quote:
Frank wrote about what he wanted. I love him for it, but don't necessarily agree with it all. I'm not a stupid cow who thinks every word out of Frank's mouth is a gem for the ages. I ain't ever said a word about censorship, or even that he should have changed ANYTHING.

No, what you said most recently is this:

Quote:
I know lots of people who are offended by Frank's lyrics. One of them is my wife, who finds some of the lyrics offensive to women and gay people. I know many other women who feel the same way, but varying in their intensity. I've known a couple of black people who didn't like Frank's using the n word.... but were they actually offended by that? I don't know.

I am not one who thinks there's something wrong with someone who finds the lyrics offensive. Nor do I think they're just being politically corrent. Who am I to say what someone else should be offended by? I don't think the music is for everyone, and that's just fine with me.

Translation: You are offended by anything Frank says about women, gays and blacks and are trying to spin it off as "I know other people who are offended by it." You even end it with "Who's to say what's offensive?" to take people off the scent that you are pointing out all the stuff that you find offensive. I know this because you post your ultra-lefty social agenda crap all the time and it's the same stuff over and over. What a cheap and cowardly tactic you just pulled there.

Quote:
YOU, you silly douchebag, are the one who is always wanting to squash dissent. You are a boring mindless little prick who challenges NOTHING about the world around him, and feigns a demeanor of open mindedness to cloak his intense fear of change.

If I'm out to squash anything, it's political correctness drivel that tries to tell people what they can and can't talk about. I'm not afraid to challenge anything. I don't fear change, but I am against imbeciles who think any change is good strictly for the sake of change without applying any real thinking to it first, then try to push their crap on everybody else "for their own good." (Your entire point of view on why you choose Obama makes a good example. You and your team of "change for the sake of change" pals. And no, I'm not a conservative or republican...they're equally fucked up for other reasons.)

You're an ultra liberal robot who divides everything into two camps without doing any critical thinking on your own. Again, I don't see how you learned ANYTHING from Frank. You're totally a party line robot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:33 pm 

As far as I can tell, you stand for nothing. You'd like the world to stay the same. The attitude that women getting beat up and killed by the men they once loved is cool entertainment is just alright with you. You'd rather attack the guy who complains about it than look at it squarely. You'd rather laugh it off a liberal crap.

I don't think Frank was rallying to beat women up. What idiocy to think I meant that. If you could possibly comprehend the concept that there is a societal attitude that allows this shit to happen, and that those millions of people who take the issue lightly, as Frank did with these lyrics, contribute to that societal attitude, then you might start to understand what I'm talking about. It's not brain surgery Swifty. You don't even have to be smart to figure that out. Don't hurt yourself thinking.

Stop being bedazzled by your favorite phrase "political correctness." Whenever you think of that, insert the phrase "right or wrong" instead. Maybe it'll help.

Swifty, you are very immature. Grow up. Take a stand for something besides the status quo for once. Grow some testicles. Maybe you'll like it.

In the meantime, stop attacking me every time I post something. You are not the forum police.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:03 pm 
Banned

This is some of the funniest shit I've read in a LONG time.

NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!!

These are just SONGS!!!!!

Hello?

Ever listen to The Blues?

Plenty of violence there, too.....

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:19 pm 

Help, I'm a Rock wrote:
This is some of the funniest shit I've read in a LONG time.

NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!!

These are just SONGS!!!!!

Hello?

Ever listen to The Blues?

Plenty of violence there, too.....

:wink:

Bamboozled By Love is a blues song.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:24 pm 
Banned

It sure is.

Many of the old Blues Masters weren't exactly nice to their women, either.

At least in their music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:29 pm 

I got into Zappa when I was 10 because I got the 200 Motels CD from the library thinking Keith Moon's voice might be on the soundtrack. I got hooked onto Zappa when I heard the song "Lonesome Cowboy Burt". My mom was immediately offended and four years later owning 24 Zappa CDs she is still offended!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:19 pm 

Ronnies, you're making less sense with every post.

Speaking of testicles, does your wife know that you're cool with her sucking off other men and that there's no chance of repercussions? Heck, maybe if you ask her nice she'll let you jack off in the corner while you watch, so long as you don't interupt her. Oh Ronnies, you're so progressive!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:27 pm 

I guess you think that's funny. Leave me alone creep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:39 am 
Banned

Fact is....there's NEVER an excuse for beating up women.

Period.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:46 am 

Help, I'm a Rock wrote:

Period.

Not even if they are beating you up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:40 am 

just plain doug wrote:
Help, I'm a Rock wrote:

Period.

Not even if they are beating you up?

Not if you asked for it...........Nicely.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next