Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:49 pm 

Has anyone heard how Ike has been lately?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:43 pm 

LaMarrBruister wrote:

Apparently he's fine. He did a show on Dec. 22nd at a place called Dante's
in Valley View, Ohio. After that I have no further info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:51 pm 

Galoot Co-Log-Nuh wrote:
LaMarrBruister wrote:

He was in Michigan after that for a few gigs. I couldn't make it to any of them though. A buddy of mine went to one of the shows and said that Ike didn't look or sound that great. I just hope he gets himself straight. He's too nice of a guy,and too good of a talent to waste away on drugs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:37 pm 

LaMarrBruister wrote:
Galoot Co-Log-Nuh wrote:
LaMarrBruister wrote:

He was in Michigan after that for a few gigs. I couldn't make it to any of them though. A buddy of mine went to one of the shows and said that Ike didn't look or sound that great. I just hope he gets himself straight. He's too nice of a guy,and too good of a talent to waste away on drugs.

Agreed LB. I have seen him with Frank dozens of times and watching him play on stage he had a look about him that you just knew that he loved what he was doing. I wish him well, and hope he gets his act together.
I never saw him solo.... have you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:17 am 

IKE WILLIS .. I name my son after U

more, much morer respect .... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:48 am 

Galoot Co-Log-Nuh wrote:
LaMarrBruister wrote:
Galoot Co-Log-Nuh wrote:
LaMarrBruister wrote:

Agreed LB. I have seen him with Frank dozens of times and watching him play on stage he had a look about him that you just knew that he loved what he was doing. I wish him well, and hope he gets his act together.

First of all I want to state that I wish Ike Willis nothing but good will and good health. May he exorcise his demons with the power of music!

I fortunately have seen Ike Willis many times with Zappa and quite a few times with some Cover Band of Brothers performing Zappa's music. Your statement of Ike Willis loving what he does on stage is something I totally agree with and it was still evident in many of these in the ballpark cover band performances regardless of his publicized drug problems.

I have been fortunate enough to spend some quality time back stage with Ike doing interviews and just hanging out talking on many occasions and I can say that Ike really emulates and embraces a Brotherhood of Zappa . I want to stress that in no way does this brotherhood seem official but the brotherhood exists in own society. Now even though I have written many things on many of these Cover Band Of Brothers and how they don't perform with the composers intent I can say that a Brotherhood exists and that Ike Willis embraces this brotherhood in a loving manner but at the same time any human being can have a demon. I am not going to get into Ike's Demons for that is not my business but what I can tell you is to take a close hard look at anyone you have ever seen with these extreme addictions be it heroine, methamphetamine or crack.

These addictions prohibit people to function properly and the drugs take over their life. If you don't know anyone personal that has ever had one of these addictions take a brief look at any intervention or rehab program that is paraded in reality TV. Trust me that is only a glimpse of hell. I have had enough of dead and vegetable friends on my block who were great kids at the age of 8 to play stick ball with but come those teenage years it was time to say goodbye. One such friend I ran into a decade ago. We played and hung out together fron the age of 5 to the age of 16 adn then he started getting into Angel Dust on a daily basis. He did not even know who I was. When I said hello and talked to him he first thought I was someone else. He was coming out of a church. Last I heard he has been institutionalized for the last decade. Sort of a the Sid Barret of Middle Village, NY. His two brothers were killed in drug related happenings My brothers gang born between 1954 and 1956 all wound up on heroine by 1976 and 95% of them are now dead. Last time I checked my brother was still 5% Human.

I myself fortunately have never engaged in the use used any form of addictive substance such as opiates, speed or cocaine but anyone with these troubles I can only wish the best for that they find a clearer path in life.

For some l.o.r.d of Zappa's music is enough but unfortunately some play that needle and the damage done lifestyle or they find the crack pipe as a way of life.

Dope, you are what you use!

Music Is The Best!

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Last edited by Trendmonger on Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:17 am, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:54 am 
Banned

Fuck off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:52 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
I myself fortunately have never engaged in the use used any form of addictive substance such as opiates, speed or cocaine but anyone with these troubles I can only wish the best for that they find a clearer path in life.

I guess it was the acid that turned you into Trendmonger?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:59 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
Galoot Co-Log-Nuh wrote:
LaMarrBruister wrote:
Galoot Co-Log-Nuh wrote:
LaMarrBruister wrote:

First of all I want to state that I wish Ike Willis nothing but good will and good health. May he exorcise his demons with the power of music!

I fortunately have seen Ike Willis many times with Zappa and quite a few times with some Cover Band of Brothers performing Zappa's music. Your statement of Ike Willis loving what he does on stage is something I totally agree with and it was still evident in many of these in the ballpark cover band performances regardless of his publicized drug problems.

I have been fortunate enough to spend some quality time back stage with Ike doing interviews and just hanging out talking on many occasions and I can say that Ike really emulates and embraces a Brotherhood of Zappa . I want to stress that in no way does this brotherhood seem official but the brotherhood exists in own society. Now even though I have written many things on many of these Cover Band Of Brothers and how they don't perform with the composers intent I can say that a Brotherhood exists and that Ike Willis embraces this brotherhood in a loving manner but at the same time any human being can have a demon. I am not going to get into Ike's Demons for that is not my business but what I can tell you is to take a close hard look at anyone you have ever seen with these extreme addictions be it heroine, methamphetamine or crack.

These addictions prohibit people to function properly and the drugs take over their life. If you don't know anyone personal that has ever had one of these addictions take a brief look at any intervention or rehab program that is paraded in reality TV. Trust me that is only a glimpse of hell. I have had enough of dead and vegetable friends on my block who were great kids at the age of 8 to play stick ball with but come those teenage years it was time to say goodbye. One such friend I ran into a decade ago. We played and hung out together fron the age of 5 to the age of 16 adn then he started getting into Angel Dust on a daily basis. He did not even know who I was. When I said hello and talked to him he first thought I was someone else. He was coming out of a church. Last I heard he has been institutionalized for the last decade. Sort of a the Sid Barret of Middle Village, NY. His two brothers were killed in drug related happenings My brothers gang born between 1954 and 1956 all wound up on heroine by 1976 and 95% of them are now dead. Last time I checked my brother was still 5% Human.

For some l.o.r.d of Zappa's music is enough but unfortunately some play that needle and the damage done lifestyle or they find the crack pipe as a way of life.

Dope, you are what you use!

Music Is The Best!
Just what the fuck are these ramblings about?
Trendmonger wrote:
"I am not going to get into Ike's Demons for that is not my business but what I can tell you is to take a close hard look at anyone you have ever seen with these extreme addictions be it heroine, methamphetamine or crack.

These addictions prohibit people to function properly and the drugs take over their life. If you don't know anyone personal that has ever had one of these addictions take a brief look at any intervention or rehab program that is paraded in reality TV. Trust me that is only a glimpse of hell."
You begin by stating what you are not going to do and immediately follow that by doing it. From there you continue with a continuously deepening anti-drug tirade directly in connection with Ike Willis. Are you even capable of perceiving your own hypocrisy and self-contradiction? There's nothing to suggest in anything you've said that you are. I've skipped over your clumsy piles of excessively overwrought and confusing verbiage on most every occasion but this was a real gem.

--Bat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:28 am 

Galoot Co-Log-Nuh wrote:
LaMarrBruister wrote:
Galoot Co-Log-Nuh wrote:
LaMarrBruister wrote:

The only times I've seen Ike have been with Project/Object,and he sounded great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:49 am 

LaMarrBruister wrote:
Galoot Co-Log-Nuh wrote:
LaMarrBruister wrote:
Galoot Co-Log-Nuh wrote:
LaMarrBruister wrote:

The only times I've seen Ike have been with Project/Object,and he sounded great!

Great guitar player, too.
So a rock 'n roll musician has problems. What a shock.
Considering a couple of my favorite singers are Shane MacGowan & Mark E. Smith, I have no problem with a little drunken (or whatever) chaos now and then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:58 am 

What's surprising about Ike, is that his problem came after many years with Frank. I would guess most people with substance issues pick them up earlier in life, at least the people that I know did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:33 pm 

^^^^ They probably are picked up early in life, but take it from my personal experience, substance-dependent people are very good at presenting a trouble-free exterior.

I'm in the process of exorcising my own beastie. It's not easy and certainly should never be allowed to overshadow the positive accomplishments in a person's life.

Ike Willis is an amazing singer musician, singer, and person and whatever the personal vices he may be struggling with are, they don't define him as a human being.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:42 pm 

SwaggartDecisions wrote:
^^^^ They probably are picked up early in life, but take it from my personal experience, substance-dependent people are very good at presenting a trouble-free exterior.

I'm in the process of exorcising my own beastie. It's not easy and certainly should never be allowed to overshadow the positive accomplishments in a person's life.

Ike Willis is an amazing singer musician, singer, and person and whatever the personal vices he may be struggling with are, they don't define him as a human being.

Very nice to read. Thank you.

Years back, I lived on a drug block in NYC at the height of the crack epidemic. One not familar with the drug world would be quite shocked to
see who was buying this stuff. All ages, colors, you-name-it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:52 pm 

very good point about presenting an exterior. It's possiible, certainly, that while working for FZ, he could contain the problem better. He would be on his best behavior, presumably, in order to keep such a great job.

I agree whole-heartedly that he's a great guy and very talented and an essential person in the later portion of FZs bands. I believe Mike Kenneally said that vocalists were the hardest postions to fill for Frank. He has a perfect disposition and fun-loving attitude, perfect for FZs music.

Drugs will only define you if you let it take over your life. I've been there as well and have been able to get that fucking colombian monkey off my back. My wife and I both, together, were able survive this. I also gave up smoking cigarettes 5 years ago.

Best of luck to you. You've got the right outlook, which helps a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:01 pm 

LaMarrBruister wrote:
Galoot Co-Log-Nuh wrote:
LaMarrBruister wrote:
Galoot Co-Log-Nuh wrote:
LaMarrBruister wrote:

Cool......... Thank You!....... :D

Post subject: Re: Ike Willis
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:40 am 

Former Frank Zappa Guitarist Ike Willis Forms New Band; Goes on Tour With Micki Free

Guitarist Ike Willis appeared on countless albums and tours with the legendary Frank Zappa, and recently returned to the rock scene as the leader of the Ike Willis Project.

Willis is about to go back on the road and joining Ike is another extraordinarily talented guitarist, Grammy winner Micki Free, who will be opening the shows for the Ike Wills Project at the beginning of October.

Both artists will be performing separate sets (and sharing the same backing band), with Ike performing the material from his two solo releases, along with doing some of the Zappa material he is most known for - with both artists uniting together at the end of the night for a finale.

First discovered by Gene Simmons, Free won a Grammy as a Prince protégé in the RNB/Soul/Funk band, Shalamar, and landed songs in Beverly Hills Cop and Footloose.

Free then became part of the great 80’s rock band Crown of Thorns (with Jean Beauvoir), who were a major hit on the European charts, before eventually reuniting under their names in 2015 as Beauvoir/Free.

Free’s latest solo blues release, ‘Tattoo Burn,’ was recently reissued as ‘Tattoo Burn Redux’ (via Mysterium Blues Records), and has been on the Blues Radio charts since May, usually never below 27 on the Top 50 Album charts and as high as 3, and has had between 3-5 songs on the top 50 songs charts.

Ike Willis was one of Frank Zappa's most dedicated sidemen - as both a vocalist and guitarist - and continues the tradition with reverent authenticity today.
In addition to his own progressive projects and solo material, Ike continues to carry the Zappa torch by contributing to Zappa tributes and appearing at the annual Zappanale Festival in Germany multiple times.

Ike is proud of the superstar lineup that comprises his band, including guitarist JP Cervoni (Buddy Miles and The Babys) along with two time Grammy nominee drummer, Duane Waider, keyboardist Shane Cotter (The Chambers Brothers and Bo Diddley), and Robert Byrnes on bass who recorded with Michael McDonald.

Don't miss a chance to see Ike and his band live as they play it all!

The dates:
10/04 - Sellersville, PA - Sellersville Theater
10/05 - New York, NY - Iridium
10/06 - New York, NY - Iridium
10/07 - Stanhope, NJ - SH House

http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2017/09 ... illis.html

Post subject: Re: Ike Willis
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:06 am 

Everytime I hear of Micky Free, this is what I'm reminded of...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9InWK1rizSY