Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Valley Girl
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:57 pm 

What's the story behind this song? I have seen a couple of oblique comments here about how it was 'an accident' or something. Does anyone know how the somg came about?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:12 pm 
Banned

http://www.arf.ru/Notes/Ship/val.html

http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/songs/Va ... l#Comments

I think that Moon slipped a note under Frank's door one day. Here's the text:

Hi! I'm 13 years old. My name is Moon. Up until now, I have been trying to stay out of your way while you record. However, I have come to the conclusion that I would love to sing on your album, if you would like to put up with me. I have a rather nice voice. For further information, contact my agent - Gail Zappa - at 650-4947. I'm available day or night generally speaking. I would like to do my "Encino Accent" or "Surfer Dood Talk" for you. Later days dood!!
Love, Moon XXX OOO

.....and later, Moon wrote a message to the rest of us, as follows:

ONCE AND FOR ALL:
Once upon a time I slipped this note under the studio door. Time passed.
My father woke me up late one night, and taking me up on my very generous offer, led me downstairs to the VOCAL BOOTH. Terror seized my body and cotton mouth took over. (After all it was my BIG BREAK... )
I managed to improvise several tracks saying the first thing that came into my head, reciting things I'd heard people REALLY talk about and elaborating on subjects which amused my father. (When he was laughing I knew I had something there... ). He edited the tracks together and my life has never been quite the same.
I have received letters from all around the world confirming that VALS exist everywhere. For them it is a state of mind and a way of life. For me it's a way to make the ones around me, that I so dearly love, LAUGH.
(In other words, folks, I'm not really like that.)
XXX M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:42 pm 

jimmie d killed the forum wrote:
http://www.arf.ru/Notes/Ship/val.html

http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/songs/Va ... l#Comments

I think that Moon slipped a note under Frank's door one day. Here's the text:

Hi! I'm 13 years old. My name is Moon. Up until now, I have been trying to stay out of your way while you record. However, I have come to the conclusion that I would love to sing on your album, if you would like to put up with me. I have a rather nice voice. For further information, contact my agent - Gail Zappa - at 650-4947. I'm available day or night generally speaking. I would like to do my "Encino Accent" or "Surfer Dood Talk" for you. Later days dood!!
Love, Moon XXX OOO

.....and later, Moon wrote a message to the rest of us, as follows:

ONCE AND FOR ALL:
Once upon a time I slipped this note under the studio door. Time passed.
My father woke me up late one night, and taking me up on my very generous offer, led me downstairs to the VOCAL BOOTH. Terror seized my body and cotton mouth took over. (After all it was my BIG BREAK... )
I managed to improvise several tracks saying the first thing that came into my head, reciting things I'd heard people REALLY talk about and elaborating on subjects which amused my father. (When he was laughing I knew I had something there... ). He edited the tracks together and my life has never been quite the same.
I have received letters from all around the world confirming that VALS exist everywhere. For them it is a state of mind and a way of life. For me it's a way to make the ones around me, that I so dearly love, LAUGH.
(In other words, folks, I'm not really like that.)
XXX M

LOL! poor moon :roll:
great story

Post subject: Re: Valley Girl
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:16 am 

Didja ever notice the different ending included in the US 12" Promo "full version"? Rather than an early fade (single version) or a clumsy segue (album version), there's a percussive full-stop ending.

8) get it :arrow: http://burningtheground.net/category/frank-moon-zappa/