Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Chrome Dinette shut down
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:19 pm 

Please forgive me if there is already a thread discussing this, I looked but could not find one.

A while ago I noticed the Dinette was shut down, Mike and I went to the same highschool in NJ & I have talked with him in the past about his website, now I see he has posted at the website a copy of the cease & desist order from the Zappa family trust. I know for myself with all the music avalible on that website it has never prevented me from buying a zappa CD, even if I could listen to it for free on the site. I know of several other sites that have streaming & downloadable Zappa music & I fear that they too may fall victum to the greed of the evil bi_ch.

I live in south florida & I am flying myself & a friend to atlantic city next mont to see the Zappa plays Zappa show & as soon as they go on sale I will by ticketts to see the show in Boca raton & Orlando, I know Dwezill is a member of the trust or at least the Family and I can only hope that he dosnt have anything to do with decisions that in my opinion do more to kill the music rather than keep it alive. ( Frank wanted the music kept alive) Ive been to Philly & NYC to see PROJECT OBJECT & Tampa to see BOGUS POMP because I cant see Frank anymore, from what I understand both of those bands are under attack by the trust.

I would like to here from others as to weather they feel that shutting down this website was warented.
JOE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:29 pm 

Well, as far as Frank wanting his music to "live on" He really didn't care and he said so in one of his last interviews. He did all this great music for his own enjoyment. Maybe that is why it's so damn good!

I have heard of the chrome dinette so I'm, sure your friend can think of something else that is equally fun.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:47 pm 

joe6v6 wrote:
Please forgive me if there is already a thread discussing this, I looked but could not find one.

A while ago I noticed the Dinette was shut down, Mike and I went to the same highschool in NJ & I have talked with him in the past about his website, now I see he has posted at the website a copy of the cease & desist order from the Zappa family trust. I know for myself with all the music avalible on that website it has never prevented me from buying a zappa CD, even if I could listen to it for free on the site. I know of several other sites that have streaming & downloadable Zappa music & I fear that they too may fall victum to the greed of the evil bi_ch.

I live in south florida & I am flying myself & a friend to atlantic city next mont to see the Zappa plays Zappa show & as soon as they go on sale I will by ticketts to see the show in Boca raton & Orlando, I know Dwezill is a member of the trust or at least the Family and I can only hope that he dosnt have anything to do with decisions that in my opinion do more to kill the music rather than keep it alive. ( Frank wanted the music kept alive) Ive been to Philly & NYC to see PROJECT OBJECT & Tampa to see BOGUS POMP because I cant see Frank anymore, from what I understand both of those bands are under attack by the trust.

I would like to here from others as to weather they feel that shutting down this website was warented.
JOE

I've been to most of the FZ sites at one point or another but, for the sake of those of us who can't remember what the Chrome Dinette was like, remind me what they offered.
mp3's of live shows? torrents of albums? something else?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:30 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
joe6v6 wrote:

JOE

I've been to most of the FZ sites at one point or another but, for the sake of those of us who can't remember what the Chrome Dinette was like, remind me what they offered.
mp3's of live shows? torrents of albums? something else?

This may or may not remind you.... LINK

I cant say I'm too surprised Gail wanted it shut down.

IB :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:35 am 

It's just low quality streams, If I remember correctly. I mean, who would permanently pick that over the real thing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:10 pm 

Quote:
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2006 9:20 PM
Cc: Owen Sloane [osloane@bergerkahn.com]; Gail Zappa [gail@zappa.com]
Subject: Cease and desist

August 31, 2006

Re: The Zappa Family Trust / Infringement
Our File No.: 18448

Dear Mr. Healy:

We represent The Zappa Family Trust. This letter is regarding the unauthorized use of numerous Frank Zappa works on your website located at mywebpages.comcast.net/umrk.

The Zappa Family Trust is the owner of all right, title and interest, including without limitation the copyright therein, in and to many, if not all, of the musical compositions available for streaming via your website.
As the owner of all right, title and interest therein, The Zappa Family Trust has the exclusive right to perform such musical compositions, digitally or otherwise, and you are required to obtain a performance license from the proper performing rights society in order to stream these compositions from your site. Although we understand you may have attempted to obtain a license for performance of the musical compositions and sound recordings through Live 365.com, your site does not comply with the Digital Millenium Copyright Act and therefore, your performance of the musical compositions and sound recordings is illegal.

Your site allows the interactive, 'on demand,' streaming of sound recordings, including entire albums, owned by our client, Rykodisc, and other third parties. The owner of the sound recording has the exclusive right to digitally perform such sound recordings. Since 'on demand' streaming is excluded from the statutory license pursuant to section 114 of the Copyright Act, in order to digitally perform such sound recordings, you are required to obtain a voluntary license from the copyright owner. You have failed to obtain any such voluntary licenses from The Zappa Family Trust.

Additionally, the streaming of these musical compositions and sound recordings may also constitute 'copies' for which you must obtain separate and additional licenses from the owner. No such licenses were sought or obtained.

The Zappa Family Trust also owns the photographs and artwork embodied on the Frank Zappa album covers, and pursuant to the Copyright Act, has the exclusive right to display such photographs and artwork. Again, you have failed to obtain permission from our client, or accord proper credit to our client, with respect to the display of such artwork and photographs on your site. Furthermore, your unauthorized use of Frank Zappa's image may also violate our client's right of publicity under California law.

Further, your use of ZAPPA, FRANK ZAPPA and FZ (the ZAPPA Marks) on your website infringe upon our client's federally registered marks as follows:

MARK REGISTRATION NO.
FZ 2,175,923
FZ 2,133,662
FRANK ZAPPA 1,847,913
ZAPPA 1,843,244
FRANK ZAPPA 1,840,371
ZAPPA 1,840,370
ZAPPA 1,179,890

In addition, your entire website as presented, including use of the ZAPPA Marks, Frank Zappa's image and the linkage to the official www.zappa.com website, are violations of Section 43(a) of the Lanham Act (15 U.S.C. Section 1125(a)). Your use of the ZAPPA Marks and the Zappa domain name is likely to deceive the public to believe that you have been authorized by The Zappa Family Trust to operate this website and/or to engage in the streaming activities provided. Also, such activities collectively imply some affiliation, connection or association with our client, which, as you know, is patently false and misleading.

Accordingly, your unauthorized use of Frank Zappa's musical compositions, sound recordings, photographs, artwork, name and likeness, ZAPPA Marks and domicile name owned by The Zappa Family Trust violates our client's rights and constitutes, without limitation, copyright infringement and a violation of section 43(a) of Lanham Act.

We are hereby formally advising you that you must immediately disable the above-referenced website and cease and desist any and all further unauthorized use of the materials referenced herein or any materials owned by The Zappa Family Trust. Our client will consider every available remedy including injunctions and recovery of attorney's fees, costs and any and all other damages which are incurred by our client as a result of any action that is commenced against you.

Please advise us in writing of your intent to fully comply with the requests herein within seven (7) days from the date of this letter.

Nothing contained in or omitted from this letter is, or shall be deemed to be, either a full statement of the facts or applicable law, an admission of any fact, or a waiver or limitation of any of our client's rights or remedies, all of which are specifically retained and reserved.

Sincerely,

OWEN J. SLOANE
Partner

cc: Gail Zappa (via e-mail)
Live365 (via fax)
Federal Bureau of Investigation (via US mail)

link

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:34 pm 

What is next?

Enter Napster

Weird Al

Make A List, Little Lars
Never Seen A Star, Put His Fans Behind Bars
Can't You See, Mp3 means your stealing from me
Should've bought a cd
I keep my T1 open, I'm stealing your songs right now...

(chorus)
We're in debt, from the internet
Sue our fans, off to Napster, Napster land

Go to court, close the site Napster's down tonight
Now the judge says alright
Bunch of thieves, bunch of lies, steal our song through a wire (?)
You know we'll put up a fight
I Keep my phone line open, I'm ripping your songs right now...

(chorus)
Sue our fans, off to Napster Napster land

Now I lay Lars down to sleep, pray his copyrights to keep
If he gets poor before he wakes, he'll have to sell fries and shakes
Hush little Laurie (?) don't say a word, and never mind that noise you heard
It's just a fan making bootleg tapes, I hope you choke on your sour grapes

(chorus)
Screw the fans......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:17 am 

Enter Web Address: All 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 1998 1997 1996 Adv. Search

0 pages found for http://yoursisterscunt.com

Sorry, no matches.

Keep in mind...

.....I don't think Gail had anything to do with this one though.

--Bat :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:25 pm 

I hope they never go after Roman Garcia's site. That would be a disservice to all Zappa fans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:16 pm 

sabrinaIII wrote:
I hope they never go after Roman Garcia's site. That would be a disservice to all Zappa fans.

. . . . .Ssssh... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:53 pm 

Quote:
It's just low quality streams, If I remember correctly. I mean, who would permanently pick that over the real thing?

My point exactly, I think sites like that would be some of the best advertisment money could buy - and its free.

Quote:
Well, as far as Frank wanting his music to "live on" He really didn't care and he said so in one of his last interviews. He did all this great music for his own enjoyment.

Frank said in many interviews that he wrote & performed music for his own pleasure and if other people liked it that was a bonus, that dosnt mean he wasnt aware that a lot of people did enjoy it and it dosnt mean that he didnt want his music to continue to be performed for others to enjoy. Ive shook hands with Frank & on many more ocasions with Ike & I dont think he was lieing when he did this interview. http://www.cosmik.com/aa-may01/ike_willis.html

JOE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:18 pm 

it's a bummer he shut it down, but unauthorized streaming of non-booted fz material was risky, even shitty .ram files

we need zappa radio back

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:33 pm 

joe6v6 wrote:
Quote:

My point exactly, I think sites like that would be some of the best advertisment money could buy - and its free.

Quote:
Well, as far as Frank wanting his music to "live on" He really didn't care and he said so in one of his last interviews. He did all this great music for his own enjoyment.

Frank said in many interviews that he wrote & performed music for his own pleasure and if other people liked it that was a bonus, that dosnt mean he wasnt aware that a lot of people did enjoy it and it dosnt mean that he didnt want his music to continue to be performed for others to enjoy. Ive shook hands with Frank & on many more ocasions with Ike & I dont think he was lieing when he did this interview. http://www.cosmik.com/aa-may01/ike_willis.html

JOE

Thanks for the link to that interview. Interesting stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:10 pm 

Sorry to hear about this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:48 pm 

great interview withike willis! sad to know fz thought he may have been going into remission, and then just a few short months later... :cry: would'nt it have been great if he did get better and they mounted the 200 motels tour as planned? what a show that woulda been! thank goodness ike is still here to let us in on this. thanks for the link!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:56 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
What is next?

Enter Napster

Weird Al

Make A List, Little Lars
Never Seen A Star, Put His Fans Behind Bars
Can't You See, Mp3 means your stealing from me
Should've bought a cd
I keep my T1 open, I'm stealing your songs right now...

(chorus)

Go to court, close the site Napster's down tonight
Now the judge says alright
Bunch of thieves, bunch of lies, steal our song through a wire (?)
You know we'll put up a fight
I Keep my phone line open, I'm ripping your songs right now...

(chorus)
Sue our fans, off to Napster Napster land

Now I lay Lars down to sleep, pray his copyrights to keep
If he gets poor before he wakes, he'll have to sell fries and shakes
Hush little Laurie (?) don't say a word, and never mind that noise you heard
It's just a fan making bootleg tapes, I hope you choke on your sour grapes

(chorus)
Screw the fans......