Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:24 pm 

lapsed maps wrote:
The band rehearsed Van Vliet's difficult compositions for eight months, living communally in a small rented house in Woodland Hills, Los Angeles. Van Vliet implemented his vision by asserting complete artistic and emotional domination of his musicians. At various times, one or another of the band members were put "in the barrel", with Van Vliet berating him continually, sometimes for days, until the musician collapsed in tears or in total submission to Van Vliet. According to John French and Bill Harkleroad, these sessions often included physical violence. French described the situation as "cultlike", and a visiting friend said that "the environment in that house was positively Manson-esque". Their material circumstances also were dire. With no income other than welfare and contributions from relatives, the band survived on a bare subsistence diet. French recounted living on no more than a small cup of soybeans a day for a month, and at one point, band members were arrested for shoplifting food (with Zappa bailing them out). A visitor described their appearance as "cadaverous" and said that "they all looked in poor health". Band members were restricted from leaving the house and practiced for fourteen or more hours a day. Van Vliet once told drummer John French that he had been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, and he would see nonexistent conspiracies that explained this behavior.
Shortly after the completion of Trout Mask Replica, French was booted out of the group rather violently by Beefheart (he was thrown down some stairs).

Nice wiki :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:00 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:16 am 

coevad wrote:
lapsed maps wrote:
The band rehearsed Van Vliet's difficult compositions for eight months, living communally in a small rented house in Woodland Hills, Los Angeles. Van Vliet implemented his vision by asserting complete artistic and emotional domination of his musicians. At various times, one or another of the band members were put "in the barrel", with Van Vliet berating him continually, sometimes for days, until the musician collapsed in tears or in total submission to Van Vliet. According to John French and Bill Harkleroad, these sessions often included physical violence. French described the situation as "cultlike", and a visiting friend said that "the environment in that house was positively Manson-esque". Their material circumstances also were dire. With no income other than welfare and contributions from relatives, the band survived on a bare subsistence diet. French recounted living on no more than a small cup of soybeans a day for a month, and at one point, band members were arrested for shoplifting food (with Zappa bailing them out). A visitor described their appearance as "cadaverous" and said that "they all looked in poor health". Band members were restricted from leaving the house and practiced for fourteen or more hours a day. Van Vliet once told drummer John French that he had been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, and he would see nonexistent conspiracies that explained this behavior.
Shortly after the completion of Trout Mask Replica, French was booted out of the group rather violently by Beefheart (he was thrown down some stairs).

Nice wiki :mrgreen:

i don't know, i don't wikki anything.
that is a comment from a youtube video.

so that's how this is going to go, huh?
you are going to continue operating like this?

i reach out to you with nothing but good intentions
- replying to your thread(s)
- in a private message
and you 100% ignore my attempts,
but... when you see a post of mine that appears to be an opportunity for you to make a stab at me, you are johnny on the spot.

what kind of person are you?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:19 am 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:25 am 

Hey maps. No pm from me
I'm just going to spell it out for you right here.

Believe it or not, I had been reading the TMR album notes on wikipedia a few days back.
When I read your post, some of it seemed to match what I had been reading.
I figured you had been reading the same thing. So I 'liked' your post with what I though was a complimentary response.
I was not aware of your dislike for wikipedia.

Sorry to ruffle your feathers.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:50 am 

Calma amigos, many times posters will copy and paste whole wikipedia passages into YT video descriptions or comments...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:06 am 

coevad wrote:
Hey maps. No pm from me

uh
yeah...
which is what i spelled out right here:

lapsed maps wrote:
i reach out to you with nothing but good intentions
- replying to your thread(s)
- in a private message
and you 100% ignore my attempts

coevad wrote:
I 'liked' your post with what I though was a complimentary response.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:11 am 

a China pig