Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 304, 305, 306, 307, 308
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:37 am 

http://forum.zappa.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=34062#p883735

Steve Breen

Tom Stiglich

Jeff Koterba

Joe Heller

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:37 am 

Whitey Ford
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/09/sports/baseball/whitey-ford-dead.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:35 am 

Joe Morgan

I didn't care for him much as a broadcaster, but he was a hell of a player.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/joe-morgan-driving-force-of-big-red-machine-dies-at-77/ar-BB19WK4X?li=BBnb7Kz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:42 am 

J.D. Crowe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:28 pm 

A week or so old, but great pic....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:08 am 

Did Eddie turn left-handed up in Hebbin?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:27 am 

Gordon Haskell, former King Crimson voice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:24 am 

Toshinori Kondo, fusion and avantgarde jazz trumpet player. Played with the likes of John Zorn or Bill Laswell.

Toshinori Kondo IMA21 - Cosmic Nature [live 2019 in Japan]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:59 pm 

Spencer Davis, bandleader with the Spencer Davis Group, dies aged 81
Guitarist who helped popularise blues and R&B in the UK died while being treated for pneumonia in hospital

Photograph: Rex/Shutterstock
R&B pioneer … Spencer Davis in 2008.

Spencer Davis, who as bandleader with the Spencer Davis Group topped the UK charts twice in the mid-60s, has died aged 81 while being treated for pneumonia in hospital.

The group, who formed in Birmingham in 1963 and also featured Steve Winwood, had hits including Gimme Some Lovin’, Keep On Running, Somebody Help Me and I’m a Man. Along with a number of other early British pop groups, they helped popularise the sound of US blues and R&B in the UK.

Winwood left the band in 1967 to form Traffic, with Davis and others disbanding the group in 1969. They partially re-formed for two years in the mid-70s, and again in 2006, when Davis returned to international touring with the group.

Photograph: John Pratt/Getty Images
The Spencer Davis Group in 1966, with Davis in pram.

Born in Swansea in 1939, Davis began learning accordion and harmonica at the age of six. Drawn to the allure of US R&B records, he took up the guitar and formed his first band the Saints with Bill Wyman, who later joined the Rolling Stones.

Davis moved to Birmingham to study German at university, and played in bands on the side, first performing American folk and traditional blues. In 1963, he and drummer Pete York recruited the 15-year-old Winwood and his brother Muff to their band, first called Rhythm and Blues Quartet, then the Spencer Davis Group.

Like the Stones, the Dave Clark Five, the Kinks and others, the Spencer Davis Group were part of the flourishing “beat” scene in the mid-60s, playing music influenced by American rhythm and blues. They, along with another Birmingham band the Moody Blues, were dubbed “Brum beat” to differentiate them from the vibrant scenes in London and Liverpool, though their popularity grew with a residency at London’s Marquee club.

Building their sound around uptempo rhythms and Winwood’s powerfully soulful vocals, their first single, I Can’t Stand It, was released in 1964. They topped the charts the following year with Keep On Running, and in 1966 with Somebody Help Me, both written by Jamaican artist Jackie Edwards. Further hits included the anthemic, Winwood-penned Gimme Some Lovin’, which was also a hit in the US, reaching No 7.

I’m a Man (1967) would be the group’s last major hit, also reaching the Top 10 in both the US and UK and later covered by the band Chicago.

Following their first breakup, Davis moved to the US and struggled financially, later complaining of punitive record contracts. “I didn’t realise what had been going on. I’d sold millions of records and hadn’t seen a penny from them,” he said in 2005.

He switched to an industry role in the 70s, working with his label Island Records to help develop artists including Bob Marley and Robert Palmer. He also helped Winwood’s solo career.

Artists paying tribute to Davis include Gary Kemp of Spandau Ballet who tweeted: “He lead a magnificent band, one of the greats of the 60s, along with Muff and Steve Winwood. Keep in [sic] Running and Gimme Some Lovin’ were R&B classics. He drove soul into the white rock sound of the time.”

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/ ... =hvper.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:05 pm 

Jose Padilla, DJ famed for Ibiza chill-out music and Cafe del Mar compilations, dead at 64
14:44, October the 21st, 2020.

Cafe del mar, twitter
DJ Jose Padilla

José Padilla, a Spanish DJ known as the Emperor of Chill for the chill-out music he played at sets in Ibiza, has died. He was 64.

Padilla died Sunday night at a hospital on the Mediterranean island, Spanish private news agency Europa Press reported Tuesday.

The report provided no cause of death. Padilla tweeted in August that he had undergone surgery for cancer.

The Café del Mar bar in Ibiza, where Padilla made his name with sets played at sunset, said in a tweet that he “chilled a generation of clubbers and his art touched the lives of millions” through album sales.

Padilla was behind the celebrated Café del Mar musical compilation series. He had a wide range of musical tastes, including pastoral groups such as the Penguin Café Orchestra, maverick singer songwriters like John Martyn, flamenco, bossa nova and dub.

Padilla arrived in Ibiza from Barcelona in 1975 and worked as a waiter before starting as a DJ.

AP

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/m ... dead-at-64

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:05 pm 

James Randi (aka The Amazing Randi):
He was 92...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:11 am 

^^^Father of pseudoskeptisims. RIP

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:31 pm 

Ruth Kluger, Austrian Holocaust survivor and author of “Still Alive: A Holocaust Girlhood Remembered.”
She was 88...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:43 pm 

Jerry Jeff Walker, country singer and songwriter, dies at 78

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jerry-jeff ... bojangles/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 304, 305, 306, 307, 308